ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1761 » by reub » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Reyes is a lot cheaper, I believe. Less ego. Cabrera is not aging well with his fat ass and bad hammies.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#1762 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:37 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Here's a question for my compadres. I'm assuming that we're not going to keep both Reyes and Cabrera. It would be redundant. I think I'd rather keep Jose. Who should we keep?

The answer is neither, but if I had to pick it's Reyes. If the stories of Cabrera being a malcontent I want no part of him. Rosario seems to be fond of Reyes, so he gets the nod for me.

I think it's a good idea to keep one veteran infielder around who can play multiple positions and help be an anchor for them and who will take control out there on the field.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1763 » by reub » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Why are there good teams playing at Citifield this week instead of our Mets.

It's a rhetorical question.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#1764 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:32 am

The Mets acquired Eric Hanhold from the Brewers as the player to be named later to complete the August 12 trade involving Neil Walker. The Mets had a choice of three "low-level," relievers, a Brewers' source said. Hanhold was touching 98 with his fastball earlier this year and faded a little laters, a scout who saw him this season said.

The right-handed pitcher went 8-3 with two saves and a 3.94 ERA in 30 games, three starts for Class A Carolina (A) of the Carolina League in 2017. The 6-5, 220-pounder struck out 60 and issued 21 walks this season. He went 5-1 with a 1.53 ERA.

Mets continue to stack up on relievers.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1765 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:57 am

Manhattan Project wrote:The Mets acquired Eric Hanhold from the Brewers as the player to be named later to complete the August 12 trade involving Neil Walker. The Mets had a choice of three "low-level," relievers, a Brewers' source said. Hanhold was touching 98 with his fastball earlier this year and faded a little laters, a scout who saw him this season said.

The right-handed pitcher went 8-3 with two saves and a 3.94 ERA in 30 games, three starts for Class A Carolina (A) of the Carolina League in 2017. The 6-5, 220-pounder struck out 60 and issued 21 walks this season. He went 5-1 with a 1.53 ERA.

Mets continue to stack up on relievers.

Ok, I like 98 mph for a reliever. Hope he has a breaking pitch he can throw for a strike. We'll know in a year or two.

Wasn't crazy about what I saw from Rhame tonight.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1766 » by reub » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm

We're cornering the market on 3rd tier middle relievers. I hope that we can add a few competent players who can hit, field and play fundamental baseball for us too.

Jose Reyes got picked off of first base down 6-2 last night. Our fundamentals suck.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1767 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 pm

reub wrote:We're cornering the market on 3rd tier middle relievers. I hope that we can add a few competent players who can hit, field and play fundamental baseball for us too.

Jose Reyes got picked off of first base down 6-2 last night. Our fundamentals suck.

I think we're at that point in the season when the manager should giving all the kids playing time now. Don't you?
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1768 » by reub » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:We're cornering the market on 3rd tier middle relievers. I hope that we can add a few competent players who can hit, field and play fundamental baseball for us too.

I think we're at that point in the season when the manager should giving all the kids playing time now. Don't you?

Absolutely. We should also start stressing fundamentals and let the players know when they suck. Our fundamentals have to be the worst in baseball.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1769 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 am

We should be bringing back Daniel Murphy to be our base running instructor.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1770 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:51 am

What a disaster tonight. How many walks? 10? 11? :noway:
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1771 » by reub » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Please don't call up Tim Tebow. I don't want to see him get hurt!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1772 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:40 pm

reub wrote:Please don't call up Tim Tebow. I don't want to see him!

Fixed. :lol:
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1773 » by reub » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Cabrera has come alive with the bat. Maybe he is worth keeping?

Gsellman really pitched well today. With all of our pitching depth, including the middle relievers that we acquired at the trade deadline, I don't think I'd add any pitching this offseason. Just change our conditioning regimen completely.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1774 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:44 am

reub wrote:Cabrera has come alive with the bat. Maybe he is worth keeping?

Gsellman really pitched well today. With all of our pitching depth, including the middle relievers that we acquired at the trade deadline, I don't think I'd add any pitching this offseason. Just change our conditioning regimen completely.

So has Jose. I think we keep one of them, but not both. We already know what Cab will cost us next year if the team exercises its option on him for next year ($8.5M?). Jose could be less expensive because we know he doesn't want to play anywhere else. :lol:
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1775 » by reub » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:56 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

So has Jose. I think we keep one of them, but not both. We already know what Cab will cost us next year if the team exercises its option on him for next year ($8.5M?). Jose could be less expensive because we know he doesn't want to play anywhere else. :lol:

So where can we improve positionally? Definitely at catcher. Maybe bring back Jay Bruce (if he'll have us).

1B Dom Smith
2B Cabrera/TJ Rivera
SS Rosario/Reyes
3B Flores
OF Conforto/Cespedes/Lagares/Bruce?
C d'Arnaud/Plawecki/Lucroy?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1776 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

So where can we improve positionally? Definitely at catcher. Maybe bring back Jay Bruce (if he'll have us).

1B Dom Smith
2B Cabrera/TJ Rivera
SS Rosario/Reyes
3B Flores

Sandy is already talking about reducing payroll, any improvement we make is going to be internally. Maybe we'll splurge and sign a guy like Ike Davis for depth. Seriously I think it is what it is, we'll be bargain shopping and it's not going to land us any names of note.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1777 » by reub » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

1B Dom Smith
2B Cabrera/TJ Rivera
SS Rosario/Reyes
3B Flores

Sandy is already talking about reducing payroll, any improvement we make is going to be internally. Maybe we'll splurge and sign a guy like Ike Davis for depth. Seriously I think it is what it is, we'll be bargain shopping and it's not going to land us any names of note.

Well, we've pared the contracts of Bruce, Walker, Duda, Reed and Granderson. That's about $45 million per year. If Bruce cost us $15 million and so did Lucroy we'd still be $15 million ahead. Moving on from Cabrera would save another $8 million.

Are we still paying David Wright's salary of $20 million per year or has insurance picked that up?

Note: I'd be willing to give up my beloved Josh Smoker's $490,000 if it helps us get a good catcher and a big bopper.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1778 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:00 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

1B Dom Smith
2B Cabrera/TJ Rivera
SS Rosario/Reyes
3B Flores

We've shed a lot of payroll. I recall Sandy saying that we probably need a veteran starting pitcher and that we need to fill holes in the bullpen. I agree with both points.

Sandy thinks we're good at catcher, so forget about Lucroy. Plawecki and TDA will handle the catching duties next year.

I can see the Mets going with an infield of Smith, Rosario, Reyes and Flores with Cheech, TJ Rivera and maybe Cabrera or Reynolds as backups.

The OF is going to be Ces, Conforto and Nimmo/Legares platoon in CF. Maybe we bring back Bruce, but why would he want to leave Cleveland?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1779 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:42 pm

I think Sandy has that money allocated for extensions for Thor/DeGrom already. Those are the two that are going to get paid. I would love for them to go out and actually bring in a real third basemen, no more of this platoon nonsense. Flores/Riveria/Reyes serve as the utility depth guys. Cespedes, Conforto, Nimmo and Lagares are the OF.

It's sad, but it's gonna shake out like this.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1780 » by reub » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:50 am

Manhattan Project wrote:I think Sandy has that money allocated for extensions for Thor/DeGrom already. Those are the two that are going to get paid. I would love for them to go out and actually bring in a real third basemen, no more of this platoon nonsense. Flores/Riveria/Reyes serve as the utility depth guys. Cespedes, Conforto, Nimmo and Lagares are the OF.

It's sad, but it's gonna shake out like this.

That outfield doesn't have even one healthy body in it.
That starting infield might not hit 30 home runs combined. Or drive in 100 runs.
We need a big stick or two.

Why add a veteran starter when we already have about 8 starters...deGrom, Thor, Harvey, Matz, Wheeler, Montero, Gsellman, Lugo. Let's try to keep them healthy for a change.

Return to New York Knicks