ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1781 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 pm

reub wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:I think Sandy has that money allocated for extensions for Thor/DeGrom already. Those are the two that are going to get paid. I would love for them to go out and actually bring in a real third basemen, no more of this platoon nonsense. Flores/Riveria/Reyes serve as the utility depth guys. Cespedes, Conforto, Nimmo and Lagares are the OF.

It's sad, but it's gonna shake out like this.

That outfield doesn't have even one healthy body in it.
That starting infield might not hit 30 home runs combined. Or drive in 100 runs.
We need a big stick or two.

Why add a veteran starter when we already have about 8 starters...deGrom, Thor, Harvey, Matz, Wheeler, Montero, Gsellman, Lugo. Let's try to keep them healthy for a change.

But the Wilponizs
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1782 » by reub » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:01 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:I think Sandy has that money allocated for extensions for Thor/DeGrom already. Those are the two that are going to get paid. I would love for them to go out and actually bring in a real third basemen, no more of this platoon nonsense. Flores/Riveria/Reyes serve as the utility depth guys. Cespedes, Conforto, Nimmo and Lagares are the OF.

It's sad, but it's gonna shake out like this.

That outfield doesn't have even one healthy body in it.
That starting infield might not hit 30 home runs combined. Or drive in 100 runs.
We need a big stick or two.

Why add a veteran starter when we already have about 8 starters...deGrom, Thor, Harvey, Matz, Wheeler, Montero, Gsellman, Lugo. Let's try to keep them healthy for a change.

But the Wilponizs

Would you rather have the Dolanz?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#1783 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:17 am

reub wrote:

Dolan easily, love him or hate him, he will spend like there's no tomorrow. At least the Rangers are a good and stable franchise now, it just takes one right hire to right the ship. The Wilpons have their own TV station and still are playing the frugal game, completely unacceptable.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1784 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:38 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
reub wrote:

Dolan easily, love him or hate him, he will spend like there's no tomorrow. At least the Rangers are a good and stable franchise now, it just takes one right hire to right the ship. The Wilpons have their own TV station and still are playing the frugal game, completely unacceptable.

I don't know about "easily," given he may be the worst owner in pro basketball right now, but yeah I guess I take Dolan too. :noway:
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1785 » by reub » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:01 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:
reub wrote:

I don't know about "easily," given he may be the worst owner in pro basketball right now, but yeah I guess I take Dolan too. :noway:

Weren't the Wilponz in the World Series less than 2 years ago or did I dream that?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1786 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

Weren't the Wilponz in the World Series less than 2 years ago or did I dream that?

Despite them. :lol: If Sandy wasn't forced down their throats we'd be a laughing stock again, just like the Knicks. Do I have to remind you where the name "Wilponzis" came from? Don't forget the Madoff days.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1787 » by reub » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:08 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Despite them. :lol: If Sandy wasn't forced down their throats we'd be a laughing stock again, just like the Knicks. Do I have to remind you where the name "Wilponzis" came from? Don't forget the Madoff days.

I believe that they made money off of the Madoff debacle. That's not so dumb, is it?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1788 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:19 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:

I believe that they made money off of the Madoff debacle. That's not so dumb, is it?

Did they? Then why did they have money issues that were documented?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#1789 » by blueNorange » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:19 pm

who do you all want for manager?

i've heard they're looking at bob geren who was the bench coach here for a few years, and has adopted todays advanced stats. heard nothing but good stuff about him.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#1790 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:27 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:

Dolan was in the Stanley Cup just a few years ago, that hardly makes one better than the other. If these are my choices, give me Dolan. Imagine Dolan funding the Mets? We actually might have a chance to land a big time free agent. Wilpons resigned Cespedes and that was a shock to me. Hell our once potential laden pitching staff might've stuck together. Maybe we'd be able to afford an actual trainer.

As far as a new coach goes, at this point I'm rooting for it to be David Wright just so his contract comes off the books.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1791 » by reub » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:21 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Did they? Then why did they have money issues that were documented?

I believe that they made tons of money with Madoff but were forced to give some of it back. So if you made, say, $100 million but had to pay back $20 million you could call it an $80 million profit or a $20 million loss. That's how I recall it anyway.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1792 » by reub » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:48 am

Jacob deGrom has been experiencing nausea and an upset stomach so his next start has been pushed back to Sunday. Now he knows how we feel.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1793 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:07 am

reub wrote:Jacob deGrom has been experiencing nausea and an upset stomach so his next start has been pushed back to Sunday. Now he knows how we feel.

Ha, even he can't take watching this team play it's so nauseating.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1794 » by reub » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:04 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:Jacob deGrom has been experiencing nausea and an upset stomach so his next start has been pushed back to Sunday. Now he knows how we feel.

Exactly. Even Terry Collins got sick earlier in the season.
As for our next manager, I hope that whoever they choose is a former catcher. I always thought that they make great managers (in general) because of their overall knowledge of the game.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#1795 » by blueNorange » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:35 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

As for our next manager, I hope that whoever they choose is a former catcher. I always thought that they make great managers (in general) because of their overall knowledge of the game.

lol baseball has changed, mets need to get someone that knows advanced analytics.

and by all accounts bob geren is one of those guys, has history with sandy, and was the mets bench coach. terry started making dumb moves on the norm the moment geren left.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1796 » by reub » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:52 pm

When did they stop playing the games on the field and start using calculators instead of bats?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1797 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 am

blueNorange wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

lol baseball has changed, mets need to get someone that knows advanced analytics.

and by all accounts bob geren is one of those guys, has history with sandy, and was the mets bench coach. terry started making dumb moves on the norm the moment geren left.

I hear that Geren is not an easy person to get along with. Or that he has that reputation. I don't have any specifics.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1798 » by reub » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:05 am

d'Arnaud is solidifying his starting role with his terrific September.

Nimmo is also earning a job. Same for Lugo.

Dom Smith has not looked good at the plate and makes some blunders in the field. Please bring back Jay Bruce!

Aoki may not be a bad fifth outfielder either.

Thor gave us a 5 pitch inning the other night with excellent velocity.

Harvey has also been throwing better.

Green chutes.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,592

Post#1799 » by Stannis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:27 pm

I'd take Dolan writing blank checks to Sandy Alderson rather than having Sandy run through the Wilpons for every dollar about to be spent.

Dolan and the Knicks is a different story. The Knicks are like his kid. He's out to prove to the people and media of NY that he knows what is best for the team.

With the Rangers, he leaves it to the trusted FO because he knows he has never liked hockey or understands it. It'd be the same with the Mets if he owned them.

Wilpons are too cheap, and I wouldn't be surprised these injuries are a result of them being too cheap with travel, trainer, thearpy, and medical expenses.

As for a new manager, David Wright please. He can still be a Met for life. Dude cannot play anymore, and I feel bad that he keeps trying. I wish he was healthy. He doesn't have to be an All-Star, just a decent hitter and keep his good glove. But even that's asking too much. If he's manager he can basically do what he is doing now. But I doubt he'd feel comfortable succeeding Terry Collins.
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1800 » by reub » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:31 am

Stannis wrote:I'd take Dolan writing blank checks to Sandy Alderson rather than having Sandy run through the Wilpons for every dollar about to be spent.

Dolan and the Knicks is a different story. The Knicks are like his kid. He's out to prove to the people and media of NY that he knows what is best for the team.

With the Rangers, he leaves it to the trusted FO because he knows he has never liked hockey or understands it. It'd be the same with the Mets if he owned them.

Wilpons are too cheap, and I wouldn't be surprised these injuries are a result of them being too cheap with travel, trainer, thearpy, and medical expenses.

As for a new manager, David Wright please. He can still be a Met for life. Dude cannot play anymore, and I feel bad that he keeps trying. I wish he was healthy. He doesn't have to be an All-Star, just a decent hitter and keep his good glove. But even that's asking too much. If he's manager he can basically do what he is doing now. But I doubt he'd feel comfortable succeeding Terry Collins.

If we can't get David Wright for manager then I vote for blueNorange so that we can do a proper tank.

Return to New York Knicks