ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,363

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1801 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:33 am

Nice comeback win tonight. Montero looking like a decent 5th starter. The Plaw, Cab and TT with the offense.

And "F" Inciarte. Bastid.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1802 » by reub » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:03 am

Montero is coming around and should be our fifth starter next season. Probably Lugo or Matz 4 and 4a. Degrom, Thor, hopefully Harvey 1 2 3. Gsellman in reserve. Keep HSS on speed dial.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1803 » by reub » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:05 am

Montero, despite all the time spent in Las Vegas, is second on the staff in innings pitched. Amazin!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1804 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:22 am

reub wrote:Montero is coming around and should be our fifth starter next season. Probably Lugo or Matz 4 and 4a. Degrom, Thor, hopefully Harvey 1 2 3. Gsellman in reserve. Keep HSS on speed dial.

Who's HSS?

And, yes, Montero kept it together and finished strong after a rocky start.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1805 » by reub » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:44 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:Montero is coming around and should be our fifth starter next season. Probably Lugo or Matz 4 and 4a. Degrom, Thor, hopefully Harvey 1 2 3. Gsellman in reserve. Keep HSS on speed dial.

Who's HSS?

And, yes, Montero kept it together and finished strong after a rocky start.

Hospital for Special Surgery.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1806 » by reub » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 am

In a couple of days the Mets will be playing golf and the Yankees will be in a playoff game. Damn shame!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1807 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:05 am

reub wrote:In a couple of days the Mets will be playing golf and the Yankees will be in a playoff game. Damn shame!

Gsellman pitched well tonight. TDA continues to hit. DSmith continues to show he's got power. Of course, it is late September ... "and I really should be back at school."

reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1808 » by reub » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:38 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:In a couple of days the Mets will be playing golf and the Yankees will be in a playoff game. Damn shame!

Gsellman pitched well tonight. TDA continues to hit. DSmith continues to show he's got power. Of course, it is late September ... "and I really should be back at school."

It looks as if they're parting ways with Dan Warthen. Thor was interviewed giving him great credit for his help with his secondary pitches. I know that the Mets are a walking basket case healthwise but I hope that this doesn't backfire on them (and us).
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1809 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:34 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

It looks as if they're parting ways with Dan Warthen. Thor was interviewed giving him great credit for his help with his secondary pitches. I know that the Mets are a walking basket case healthwise but I hope that this doesn't backfire on them (and us).

I would've preferred that they wait until the new manager was hired and let him pick his staff. But maybe there's stuff behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Soon we'll have to play "Keep 'em or Dump 'em." :D
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1810 » by reub » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm feeling better about our 2 catchers. Cabrera should be kept for $8.5 million. Why not keep Reyes too at his bargain salary? Really we need a guy who can play RF and maybe 1B if Smith falters. Jay Bruce?
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#1811 » by Jose7 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:23 pm

Clean house...Thor and degrom stay..but everyone else..mannn
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1812 » by reub » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:59 pm

Jose7 wrote:Clean house...Thor and degrom stay..but everyone else..mannn

No way. Stay healthy. Improve fitness and work habits. Not a house cleaning.
What are you going to get for Harvey, Matz, Lugo, Gsellman, Wright, Cabrera etc? You're really talking about Conforto? Really? Rosario? Familia? Get real!
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,962

Post#1813 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:05 am

So apparently Sandy and Jeff Wilpon wanted Collins gone a bunch of times, but Fred wouldn't sign off on it. Interesting considering Collins always had this team playing hard despite the lack of talent throughout the years.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1814 » by reub » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:21 am

Manhattan Project wrote:So apparently Sandy and Jeff Wilpon wanted Collins gone a bunch of times, but Fred wouldn't sign off on it. Interesting considering Collins always had this team playing hard despite the lack of talent throughout the years.

The team loves Collins and plays hard for him. Jose Reyes called him a second father yesterday. Dan Warthan is highly respected. If we replace these fine, beloved baseball men we'll be lucky to get equal value.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#1815 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Dropping in and curious. What would be the ideal off-season from the Mets fans POV?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1816 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:25 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Dropping in and curious. What would be the ideal off-season from the Mets fans POV?

That's a great question. IMO, we're not going make many moves. My understanding is that the team thinks it's set at C, 1B, 2B, SS and all three OF positions. That's leaves a starting pitcher and possibly another back-end reliever.

I think we keep Reyes and we decline the option on Cab. We don't need both, unless we're going to play Cab as our everyday 3B.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1817 » by reub » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:09 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Dropping in and curious. What would be the ideal off-season from the Mets fans POV?

That's a great question. IMO, we're not going make many moves. My understanding is that the team thinks it's set at C, 1B, 2B, SS and all three OF positions. That's leaves a starting pitcher and possibly another back-end reliever.

I think we keep Reyes and we decline the option on Cab. We don't need both, unless we're going to play Cab as our everyday 3B.

Playing Cabrera at 3B every day is exactly what I would do. Use Reyes everywhere. Our offense has a lot of "maybes" but could use a "probably". Bruce would be good in that role. He can play 1B if Smith falters and RF with Cespdes and Conforto. Who are we going to run out there and depend on? The often injured, light hitting Lagaras?

Pitching-wise, we need health and not more starters. We've got about 7 of them. Hopefully one or two of the middle relievers that Sandy traded for will come through for us. I mean, he practically cornered the market on them!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1818 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:31 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Playing Cabrera at 3B every day is exactly what I would do. Use Reyes everywhere. Our offense has a lot of "maybes" but could use a "probably". Bruce would be good in that role. He can play 1B if Smith falters and RF with Cespdes and Conforto. Who are we going to run out there and depend on? The often injured, light hitting Lagaras?

Pitching-wise, we need health and not more starters. We've got about 7 of them. Hopefully one or two of the middle relievers that Sandy traded for will come through for us. I mean, he practically cornered the market on them!

Cab looks ok at 3B defensively and for one year I can deal with it. The issue is that Mike Moustakis, the 3B on the Royals, is a FA this off-season. Manny Machado is a FA the season after. Or make Wilmer the everyday third baseman. Wilmer has improved every season at the plate. Defensively, I think he can be average, which is fine because he'll have Rosario on his side of the infield and he has a lot of range.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1819 » by reub » Sun Oct 1, 2017 8:44 pm

Dom Smith is not a major leaguer. At least not yet. I just saw him make two of the most boneheaded plays back to back at first base. First he picks up a slow grounder and instead of easily getting the runner going to third base he wheels around and misses the man covering 1B from 20 feet away.
Then immediately after that he fields another slow grounder and instead of throwing to the man covering 1B he inexplicably tosses the ball to the pitcher who is further from 1B than Smith is and is just standing there. Not impressed.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,962

Post#1820 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Oct 2, 2017 2:46 pm

reub wrote:Dom Smith is not a major leaguer. At least not yet. I just saw him make two of the most boneheaded plays back to back at first base. First he picks up a slow grounder and instead of easily getting the runner going to third base he wheels around and misses the man covering 1B from 20 feet away.
Then immediately after that he fields another slow grounder and instead of throwing to the man covering 1B he inexplicably tosses the ball to the pitcher who is further from 1B than Smith is and is just standing there. Not impressed.

I haven't watched the games all that much, but coming up wasn't Smith known for being a plus defender? He had a typical rookie season to me, his bat started to really come alive. He showed some serious power at first, something we haven't really had since Delgado. I think this offseason it would be nice if he works on his conditioning a little, I don't want him to lose that power but I also don't want him to go the path of Mo Vaughn.

We end up with the sixth pick in the draft, couldn't tell you a thing about what that means but hopefully we're able to land a player there. We've been stocking up on pitchers through past drafts and trades, so perhaps a position player finally?

Oh well, yet another disappointing season for the Mets, but there are still a lot of things to be excited for with this team.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks