Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#1021 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Klomp wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Calinks wrote:Jazz guy just said they want to build around Rubio. Make him the 2017 Jason Kidd. They will surround him with shooters and they love what he brings on defense with Rudy. I'm happy they have faith.

He's in a much better situation for his skillset to really matter. Since Utah's bigs are mostly limited offensively and will be closer to the basket, Rubio's passing and vision should make them a bigger threat to get easy scores(always having someone around the basket) where as a player like Towns was able to step out to the 3pt line(where he should get a good number of looks with just an average passing PG). A team with Rubio needs to emphasis defense and outside shooting more while not needing to worry about players who can create their own shot so much. Towns, Butler and Wiggins can all create their own shot and with that, need a more outside shooting PG to open up the court to create their offense. If only Rubio could get a solid outside jumper, he'd be a lesser version of Steve Nash.

Part of me wonders if they'll be able to score enough. Ricky isn't a good enough scorer to be a Steve Nash. And he doesn't have a Vince Carter on the wing or even an Amare Stoudemire in the post. Maybe Gobert surprises me and makes a gigantic leap on offense, but I don't expect it. Are they going to rely on a 36-year Joe Johnson as the top scoring option? If so, I think they're in trouble.

Gobert won't be a 20 PPG guy, but with Rubio in and Hayward out I expect Gobert to get 18. Rodney Hood is a talented offensive player. I think you might be underestimating Utah a bit.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#1022 » by Klomp » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I think you might be underestimating Utah a bit.

It's possible.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: RE: Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#1023 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:32 pm

AirP. wrote:Might be the ball handler T.Lyles needs. to be effective also.

I think Lyles was traded to Denver.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#1024 » by Foye » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:36 pm

jmoy wrote:http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/07/minnesota-timberwolves-might-miss-ricky-rubio-more-they-anticipate Good article if you believe Rubio was a positive

Was stupid to trade him for a bag of Doritos. It will go down as a major mistake.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1025 » by Klomp » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:38 pm

Foye wrote:
jmoy wrote:http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/07/minnesota-timberwolves-might-miss-ricky-rubio-more-they-anticipate Good article if you believe Rubio was a positive

Was stupid to trade him for a bag of Doritos. It will go down as a major mistake.

Essentially, Rubio was traded for Teague and a 1st. That's not a bag of Doritos.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#1026 » by Foye » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Klomp wrote:
Foye wrote:

Essentially, Rubio was traded for Teague and a 1st. That's not a bag of Doritos.

The facts:
- We downgraded Rubio for Teague
- Teague is significantely older than Rubio
- Teague is paid significantely more than Rubio and we could've used some extra cap space for the bench
- We got a mediocre first.
That's not much better than a bag of doritos.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1027 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Foye wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Foye wrote:

The facts:
- Teague is paid significantely more than Rubio and we could've used some extra cap space for the bench

Teague is arguably as good or better than Rubio. We added #1 pick but lost 4 million in cap room. The key point is that Teague is much older than Rubio and taller PGs statistically age much better than shorter PGs. Overall a reasonably even trade. I would have preferred keeping Rubio, but I am excited to see what Teague brings.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#1028 » by theGreatRC » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:06 pm

Foye wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Foye wrote:

The facts:

I agree with every single point. Our hope is that Teague can get back to being 2015 Teague & that Thibs being known as the "PG whisperer" kicks in for Jefe.

The thing that pisses me off are two things:

1. Rubio ended the season playing the best basketball of his career. We were a top 10 offense with him, we were a HORRIBLE defensive team, so trading him for Teague didn't really solve our problems..Getting Butler & the growth of Wiggins/Towns will be the key to our success, but people will chime in with "See! Trading Ricky made us a better team since he can't shoot!"

2. We're more than likely going to make the playoffs without the one Wolf who deserved to be there the most :cry:

Either way, I hope he has a great career with the Jazz, but we'll be whooping on that ass from now on
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1029 » by Klomp » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:27 pm

theGreatRC wrote:1. Rubio ended the season playing the best basketball of his career. We were a top 10 offense with him, we were a HORRIBLE defensive team, so trading him for Teague didn't really solve our problems..Getting Butler & the growth of Wiggins/Towns will be the key to our success, but people will chime in with "See! Trading Ricky made us a better team since he can't shoot!"

2. We're more than likely going to make the playoffs without the one Wolf who deserved to be there the most :cry:

Either way, I hope he has a great career with the Jazz, but we'll be whooping on that ass from now on

1. Watching back some footage, I actually believe Ricky wasn't as big of a defensive loss as some think. He freelanced quite a bit which would put the bigs in bad positions. Same with Dunn. I don't think it's a coincidence that both are gone while replacing them with guys who aren't as "flashy" on defense.

2. I'll miss him too, but I wouldn't say Ricky's any more deserving of the playoffs over other members of the team just because he was on the roster longer.

SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#1030 » by SBM » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:49 pm

Most sites start locking threads like this at some point.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#1031 » by walk with me » Sun Oct 1, 2017 2:42 am

Mods.... lock
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#1032 » by Catchall » Sun Oct 1, 2017 6:52 am

Jazz fan here, who happened to stumble on this thread. We are just getting our first glimpses of Rubio, and here's what I can say--

Rubio may be one of the best ball distributors ever. Seriously, we haven't seen anything like this since John Stockton. However, he really seems to be allergic to shooting and scoring so far. He doesn't seem to be a guy who can shoot under pressure or with a defender nearby. He needs to pick his spots when defenders give him space. I don't understand it personally. He's a guy who can throw a pinpoint pass from 60-feet with perfect timing, but for some reason he doesn't want to throw the ball in the hoop. The only reason defenders guard him at all is to make his passes slightly more difficult to deliver. He'll pick up a lot of assists this year feeding Rudy Gobert, but I'm not 100% sure it's ideal to have him on the floor in crunch time. We'll have to see.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#1033 » by Narf » Sun Oct 1, 2017 6:40 pm

Foye wrote:- Teague is paid significantely more than Rubio and we could've used some extra cap space for the bench

No, we couldn't. As it turns out Shabazz signed for the minimum. If we'd had $4 mil in cap space we would've paid him $4 mil.

And Teague + a first isn't a bag of Doritos, it's not a trade I would have made but we're talking about a guy who put up 8.7 assists to 2.9 turnovers per 36 last year vs Rubio's 9.9 assists to 2.8 turnovers. The difference is Teague had a stellar .574 TS% and Butler is a point wing, which mitigates the difference in passing/playmaking from losing Rubio.

Like I said, I'd have kept Rubio. But Teague is very good.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#1034 » by Mattya » Sun Oct 1, 2017 7:01 pm

SBM wrote:Most sites start locking threads like this at some point.

These posts are silly. If people want to talk about a former player that spent a good chunk of time with the franchise they should be able to. If you don’t want to read this thread you don’t have to. It is that simple.

I’m happy we have Teague, but there is no reason I can’t keep up with Ricky.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1035 » by KGdaBom » Sun Oct 1, 2017 8:05 pm

Mattya wrote:

These posts are silly. If people want to talk about a former player that spent a good chunk of time with the franchise they should be able to. If you don’t want to read this thread you don’t have to. It is that simple.

I’m happy we have Teague, but there is no reason I can’t keep up with Ricky.

To be pro Rubio doesn't require being anti-Teague or vice versa. I liked Teague when he wasn't on the Wolves and I can be interested in what Rubio does while on Utah. I'm also going to be cheering for Zach LaVine and I still wish the best for even Kevin Love.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#1036 » by walk with me » Sun Oct 1, 2017 8:36 pm

That's how you know people don't even care about the team more than Rubio lol. Guy isn't even on the team and more and people want to continue a thread about it....

Smh

Edit: might as well make this thread a sticky that supersedes all Twolves activity.
Narf
Head Coach

Post#1037 » by Narf » Sun Oct 1, 2017 8:57 pm

walk with me wrote:That's how you know people don't even care about the team more than Rubio lol. Guy isn't even on the team and more and people want to continue a thread about it....

Smh

Edit: might as well make this thread a sticky that supersedes all Twolves activity.

You really ought to think about what you want in a message board. If you're looking for a place to have insulting arguments with schoolyard logic, there's better boards for you.

If you don't want a place where we over-analyze every detail and compare advanced stats and debate ad nauseam, pointing out every single fact you're blatantly wrong about in the process, then this isn't the place for you.
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#1038 » by walk with me » Sun Oct 1, 2017 8:59 pm

Narf wrote:You really ought to think about what you want in a message board. If you're looking for a place to have insulting arguments with schoolyard logic, there's better boards for you.

If you don't want a place where we over-analyze every detail and compare advanced stats and debate ad nauseam, pointing out every single fact you're blatantly wrong about in the process, then this isn't the place for you.

I didn't insult anyone. It's clear Rubio supercedes the the interest of the Twolves for some of you. It's an observation, not an insult. If you take it personally that's your choice.
Narf
Head Coach

Post#1039 » by Narf » Sun Oct 1, 2017 9:03 pm

walk with me wrote:
Narf wrote:You really ought to think about what you want in a message board. If you're looking for a place to have insulting arguments with schoolyard logic, there's better boards for you.

I didn't insult anyone. It's clear Rubio supercedes the the interest of the Twolves for some of you. It's an observation, not an insult. If you take it personally that's your choice.

You understand we can see all of your posts right?
walk with me
Lead Assistant

Post#1040 » by walk with me » Sun Oct 1, 2017 9:06 pm

Narf wrote:You understand we can see all of your posts right?

Ok and?

I said it seems like Rubio is more important than the wolves to some of you... that's insulting?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves