ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1821 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 2, 2017 5:55 pm

reub wrote:Dom Smith is not a major leaguer. At least not yet. I just saw him make two of the most boneheaded plays back to back at first base. First he picks up a slow grounder and instead of easily getting the runner going to third base he wheels around and misses the man covering 1B from 20 feet away.
Then immediately after that he fields another slow grounder and instead of throwing to the man covering 1B he inexplicably tosses the ball to the pitcher who is further from 1B than Smith is and is just standing there. Not impressed.

I didn't watch that game yesterday, thankfully. I'm not ready to give up on Smith yet. Rosario made some boneheaded plays at SS too since he was brought up. Remember the rough time that Judge had after he was brought up last year? Look at the difference an off-season can make. I believe that this taste of "The Bigs" to these neophytes will benefit them this off-season.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1822 » by reub » Mon Oct 2, 2017 9:49 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:Dom Smith is not a major leaguer. At least not yet. I just saw him make two of the most boneheaded plays back to back at first base. First he picks up a slow grounder and instead of easily getting the runner going to third base he wheels around and misses the man covering 1B from 20 feet away.
Then immediately after that he fields another slow grounder and instead of throwing to the man covering 1B he inexplicably tosses the ball to the pitcher who is further from 1B than Smith is and is just standing there. Not impressed.

I didn't watch that game yesterday, thankfully. I'm not ready to give up on Smith yet. Rosario made some boneheaded plays at SS too since he was brought up. Remember the rough time that Judge had after he was brought up last year? Look at the difference an off-season can make. I believe that this taste of "The Bigs" to these neophytes will benefit them this off-season.

Smith's second blunder would be equivalent to Judge fielding a ball against the outfield wall with base runners running and then tossing it into the crowd. You can't even 'splain it, Ricky!
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,589

Post#1823 » by Stannis » Tue Oct 3, 2017 11:40 am

Definitly don't clean house. There is too much potential and talent for another WS run if the team stays healthy. It's a big if, but I'd take that chance rather than make a bunch of lopsided trades.

You have to apperciate what Collins has done. He really had some terrible teams to manage. Lot of those seasons should have been 60 win seasons, but he milked every last ounce of talent from his players. But, it was time to move on and change things up like the Giants did with Coughlin.

As for the offseason, I just hope they invest in keeping players healthy.
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,902

Post#1824 » by Jeffrey » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:33 pm

Mets don't need big boppers but guys that gets on base. Since the World Series, it's like the Mets have learned nothing. Need to get a top of the order guy unless they feel Rosario and Nimmo are the guys.

Also, I would keep Aoki. When he is healthy, he is a good player.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,902

Post#1825 » by Jeffrey » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:44 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Dropping in and curious. What would be the ideal off-season from the Mets fans POV?

That's a great question. IMO, we're not going make many moves. My understanding is that the team thinks it's set at C, 1B, 2B, SS and all three OF positions. That's leaves a starting pitcher and possibly another back-end reliever.

I think we keep Reyes and we decline the option on Cab. We don't need both, unless we're going to play Cab as our everyday 3B.

After collecting all those relievers during the deadline and draft. You would think we wouldn't need a back-end reliever. But you're right. We need relievers on short term contracts. There's nothing on the market this year except to grab depth.

Also, I would love to get a guy like RA Dickey in the rotation.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,876

Post#1826 » by Jose7 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 10:18 pm

injuries injuries injuries...Love Ces but he's fragile...darnaud never plays..conforto another injury..lagares..we can go on and on..

Im hoping we see an OF next year of Conforto +Nimmo + Yoenis.. Infield..where do we even start?

Same with the rotation and the pen..
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1827 » by reub » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:57 pm

Terry is officially out. Dan Warthan is out (I hope this is the right move). And Ray Ramirez is thankfully no longer in charge of player conditioning.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1828 » by reub » Wed Oct 4, 2017 11:27 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

I caught Wingo posting in the Yankees thread. Ten demerits and go to your room!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1829 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 5, 2017 2:39 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

At my age, I have to be circumspect about where I direct my anger. Right now, Trump is sponging it all up. :lol: Actually, watched the first 6 inning last night with three high school Yankees fan buddies of mine. But that's it, man, were they difficult to deal with. They all got defensive and then pissed when before the game I opined that I didn't think it was wise for Girardi to start Severino instead of a vet. I'm watching the rest of the games at home cuddled up to my Great Pyrenees girlfriend.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1830 » by reub » Thu Oct 5, 2017 3:00 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

At my age, I have to be circumspect about where I direct my anger. Right now, Trump is sponging it all up. :lol: Actually, watched the first 6 inning last night with three high school Yankees fan buddies of mine. But that's it, man, were they difficult to deal with. They all got defensive and then pissed when before the game I opined that I didn't think it was wise for Girardi to start Severino instead of a vet. I'm watching the rest of the games at home cuddled up to my Great Pyrenees girlfriend.

I have a friend who actually rooted against the Mets in the playoffs and WS the past few years. He's as much of a zealot as Antifa is. I, however, can't be that way. I'm rooting for the home team all the way.

Well, at least you're not cuddling with one of FatKat's blowup dolls.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1831 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 5, 2017 3:29 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:

I have a friend who actually rooted against the Mets in the playoffs and WS the past few years. He's as much of a zealot as Antifa is. I, however, can't be that way. I'm rooting for the home team all the way.

NYK_Fatboy :lol:
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1832 » by reub » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:05 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Yeah, that guy!
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,526

Post#1833 » by Lord Commander » Thu Oct 5, 2017 3:25 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Damn...Fat Kat is gonna have to change his user name :lol:
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,589

Post#1834 » by Stannis » Fri Oct 6, 2017 4:16 am

Wright's injury statement:

There's a lot of fight in this one
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1835 » by reub » Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:41 pm

Stannis wrote:Wright's injury statement:

There's a lot of fight in this one

Sure he has plenty of fight. But his hope is misguided at his age and with his body. I believe that his ship has sailed.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1836 » by reub » Sun Oct 8, 2017 12:28 am

It is a little bit of poetic justice for Jay Bruce to be killing the Yankees the way that he is. After all, they could have traded for him but were too cheap to pick up all of his remaining salary.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1837 » by reub » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:20 pm

What about John Farrell as our new manager? Boston let him go.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#1838 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:41 am

I'm all in on Joe Giradi if the Yankees let him go, was impressed by the job he had done with the Marlins and I think he coached pretty good with the Yanks over the years. One non challenge call doesn't mean he doesn't know how to get the best out of his guys.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1839 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:47 am

Manhattan Project wrote:I'm all in on Joe Giradi if the Yankees let him go, was impressed by the job he had done with the Marlins and I think he coached pretty good with the Yanks over the years. One non challenge call doesn't mean he doesn't know how to get the best out of his guys.

I don't recall the job he did with the Marlins, but I recall they won it. He's not leaving the Yankees for the Mets though, if he leaves the Yanks at all. I gotta believe they'll offer him another extension.

I like the thought of Joe McEwing or Alex Cora. Whoever it'll be will have to agree to do whatever Sandy tells him to. Sandy likes these bland manager types.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1840 » by reub » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:21 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:I'm all in on Joe Giradi if the Yankees let him go, was impressed by the job he had done with the Marlins and I think he coached pretty good with the Yanks over the years. One non challenge call doesn't mean he doesn't know how to get the best out of his guys.

I don't recall the job he did with the Marlins, but I recall they won it. He's not leaving the Yankees for the Mets though, if he leaves the Yanks at all. I gotta believe they'll offer him another extension.

I like the thought of Joe McEwing or Alex Cora. Whoever it'll be will have to agree to do whatever Sandy tells him to. Sandy likes these bland manager types.

Excuse me. I'm looking for Wingo. Has anybody seen him? Possibly he's been posting in the Yankees thread again?

Return to New York Knicks