ImageImageImage

Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [Finale: Oct 13 @ Hornets]

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [G5: Oct 9 vs Orlando Magic / FSSouthwest] 

Post#61 » by JamesConway » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:37 am

I'm a big time Hezonja-apologist and it usually takes me long to turn on a player I was really, really convinced of at some point - especially if he's still so young - but he is looking absolutely dreadful out there. Zero confidence, dumb plays (got trapped in the corner with a double team that he should have seen develop half an hour in advance), the shotmaking is gone, nothing off the dribble, terrible body language. It's sad to watch honestly. The guy didn't play a ton for Barcelona but when he did he often had his stretches where he really stood out or you could at least saw an exciting level of talent. That's all gone now.

They seriously need to get him out of Orlando he's never gonna make it over there.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#62 » by Pinkyring » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:14 am

This is going to be a longgggg season, we can't guard ANY position
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#63 » by Darren » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:13 am

We're playing team ball this game until previous three. I think Yogi makes it easier for DSJ. Maybe he's yet to figure out how to run a team as a PG. DSJ's so much better when somebody else handle PG duties. He gets good number this game. But so is DJ Augustine. Obviously, Matthews play poorly on both end as SF. Noel's played like he cares again.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#64 » by Darren » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:13 am

This game is fun to watch. DSJ is so much better in pick-n-roll situation. We have to give him and the coaching staff some credit. They've made the perfect adjustment between 2 games. Smith is decisive and confident. He's even playing better defense as well. So is Noel who is no longer sleepwalking like last 2 games. That pass for Barnes's monster dunks as well as back-to-back alley-op finish are what we're looking for. He may be flawed defensively but he surely has potential to expand his offensive game.

But this game also raises some question. Do Wes fit 3 at all? And can Smith be effective alongside Curry. With Curry on the floor, opponents simply close the driving lanes to Smith. And the Mavs have no other penetrating threat with playmaking skills. Curry simply doesn't have the first step to create off dribble. Barnes is mostly a finisher instead of distributor. Matthews is proven ineffective playing 3. Okay, he was not effective playing 2 as well from what we saw last season.

We need another stopper from either C or SF as well as another PG in the starting lineup ideally. If we play Yogi, our backcourt are very small. We've got to find a way to defend effectively. Maybe stealing the entry pass and drawing charges like Monta, Devin and Barea all did a couple of years ago.
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#65 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:37 am

Darren wrote:We're playing team ball this game until previous three. I think Yogi makes it easier for DSJ. Maybe he's yet to figure out how to run a team as a PG. DSJ's so much better when somebody else handle PG duties. He gets good number this game. But so is DJ Augustine. Obviously, Matthews play poorly on both end as SF. Noel's played like he cares again.

Dennis looked great out there. Even better than the numbers suggested. Should have had 10 assists easily. Not all players are like CP3 bro in their rookie season's and even CP3 had flaws.
DJ Augustin always plays well against the Mavs but Dennis didn't guard him all game, Yogi was the one guarding him... DSJ did a good job against the orlando SG's...

Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#66 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 am

Darren wrote:This game is fun to watch. DSJ is so much better in pick-n-roll situation. We have to give him and the coaching staff some credit. They've made the perfect adjustment between 2 games. Smith is decisive and confident. He's even playing better defense as well. So is Noel who is no longer sleepwalking like last 2 games. That pass for Barnes's monster dunks as well as back-to-back alley-op finish are what we're looking for. He may be flawed defensively but he surely has potential to expand his offensive game.

I simply don't see those big D flaws in Dennis Smith... To me he is playing a Ok D unless you expect to see the next Gary Payton...

But this game also raises some question. Do Wes fit 3 at all? And can Smith be effective alongside Curry. With Curry on the floor, opponents simply close the driving lanes to Smith. And the Mavs have no other penetrating threat with playmaking skills. Curry simply doesn't have the first step to create off dribble. Barnes is mostly a finisher instead of distributor. Matthews is proven ineffective playing 3. Okay, he was not effective playing 2 as well from what we saw last season.

We need another stopper from either C or SF as well as another PG in the starting lineup ideally. If we play Yogi, our backcourt are very small. We've got to find a way to defend effectively. Maybe stealing the entry pass and drawing charges like Monta, Devin and Barea all did a couple of years ago.

We don't need another PG bro... Just look how well Barnes is playing off ball with DSJ and he is not going for those ISO's everytime... We need a SF to do what DFS did in this game, a real Shooting guard and a Center that can stay healthy... Curry, Yogi, Barea and Harris are good backups but the Mavs should trade some for real SG's...
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#67 » by arkuo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 am

I guess it's safe to say that Wes wont be coming back after his contract expires.

To me, Dennis needs a "Bradley Beal type" who can take the heat off him the same way Beal frees up John Wall for his drives. Beal easily gets doubled all the way up to the 3 point line.

This is one of the reasons why getting Caldwell-Pope would have been ideal. Especially since he's on a one year deal and just like 22 years old. Zach Lavine is also coming off his deal, I think. at 22 years old and averaging 19 PPG, can shoot the 3 too. Maybe we give the bulls some competition in signing him?
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#68 » by Chocolate Daddy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Fantastic game by Dennis. Two of his misses came after he slashed and got fouled (no call) and was able to tip the ball off the miss but it rimmed out. His defense was better. Still needs tremendous growth on that side but he looked better last night.

One thing I am sick of is scrubs becoming superstars against Dallas. DJ f'ing Augustin? I swear to god he averages 20 a game against us.
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy

Post#69 » by Chocolate Daddy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Lord Cuban wrote:
Darren wrote:This game is fun to watch. DSJ is so much better in pick-n-roll situation. We have to give him and the coaching staff some credit. They've made the perfect adjustment between 2 games. Smith is decisive and confident. He's even playing better defense as well. So is Noel who is no longer sleepwalking like last 2 games. That pass for Barnes's monster dunks as well as back-to-back alley-op finish are what we're looking for. He may be flawed defensively but he surely has potential to expand his offensive game.

I simply don't see those big D flaws in Dennis Smith... To me he is playing a Ok D unless you expect to see the next Gary Payton...

We don't need another PG bro... Just look how well Barnes is playing off ball with DSJ and he is not going for those ISO's everytime... We need a SF to do what DFS did in this game, a real Shooting guard and a Center that can stay healthy... Curry, Yogi, Barea and Harris are good backups but the Mavs should trade some for real SG's...

For the future:

PG: Smith Jr. - Ferrell

SG:

SF: Barnes

PF:

C: Noel - Motley

Smith Jr., Barnes, and Ferrell are truly the only ones locked into the future, but I do think in the end we'll bring back Noel on a 4-5 year deal. I think Motley is going to earn himself a roster spot after his GLeague deal is up. Still not convinced re-signing Seth to a big deal is neccesary nor do I think that's going to happen.

Primarily, we need a big, rebounding power forward who can stretch the floor. If we can find a way to find that in the next 2 drafts then we're good there. After that it's just filling out the roster with a legit SG and then shooters/defenders at the other positions. And then another center.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Re: Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [G6: Oct 12 @ Atlanta Hawks] 

Post#70 » by 2011Champs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 am

Dennis Smith Jr. injured and definitely in pain- ankle region.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#71 » by dirkforpres » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:35 am

2011Champs wrote:Dennis Smith Jr. injured and definitely in pain- ankle region.

Didn’t look too serious, but definitely something they should be extra careful with. Probably won’t see him again till opening night
FIRE JASON KIDD
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy

Post#72 » by Chocolate Daddy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:38 am

dirkforpres wrote:
2011Champs wrote:Dennis Smith Jr. injured and definitely in pain- ankle region.

Didn’t look too serious, but definitely something they should be extra careful with. Probably won’t see him again till opening night

I'm hoping he's ok and they play him for about 5 minutes to open the 3rd then rest him the rest of the game.
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#73 » by JamesConway » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 am

Read on Twitter

Out for the game. Ugh. Hopefully nothing serious.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#74 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:07 am

Didnt look serious and he played a couple hobbled minutes afterwards, just seems to be precautionary
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#75 » by 2011Champs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:25 am

Well , I definitely want to keep Maxi on the roster. Maxi can flat out shoot and seems to be more NBA ready than Brussino was. I see a lot of potential especially if Dirk will mentor him.
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#76 » by 2011Champs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:26 am

Well , I definitely want to keep Maxi on the roster. Maxi can flat out shoot and seems to be more NBA ready than Brussino was. I see a lot of potential especially if Dirk will mentor him.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#77 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:55 am

I will second that motion Maxi looked to be a keeper.
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by JamesConway » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:07 am

Read on Twitter
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Re: Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [Finale: Oct 13 @ Hornets] 

Post#79 » by Lord Cuban » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:16 pm

clavell looks really good, i hope we can manage to keep him as a backup
2011Champs
General Manager

Re: Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [Finale: Oct 13 @ Hornets] 

Post#80 » by 2011Champs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Maxi, Motley, Withey and Clavell look like keepers. Dallas may need to look at shopping Mejri, Barea, and/or Harris to make some roster spots.

Return to Dallas Mavericks