ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: USA Fails to qualify for world cup

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

OT: USA Fails to qualify for world cup 

Post#1 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:03 am

Really puts a damper on next summer. :(
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,385

Re: OT: USA Fails to qualify for world cup 

Post#2 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:08 am

lets goooooooooo
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#3 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 am

3toheadmelo wrote:lets goooooooooo

I don't think they qualified though...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,385

Post#4 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:lets goooooooooo

I don't think they qualified though...

i have no clue, i don't follow this stuff
just happy to see trinidad win something against USA for once 8-)
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#5 » by BadNewsBarnes » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 am

Now the U.S. Team will have to rebuild....like the Knicks should do.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
ForzaMetro
Senior
And1: 680

Post#6 » by ForzaMetro » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 am

Nightmare
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:15 am

BadNewsBarnes wrote:Now the U.S. Team will have to rebuild....like the Knicks should do.

Yeah lots of older players on USA. Feel bad for some of those guys like Dempsey and Howard. Not the way I wanted them to go out. Now to rebuild around Pulisic and hopefully a more creative coach.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Slicin N Dicin
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#8 » by Slicin N Dicin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:29 am

that was awful
BaF 1.0 - Bucks: Inaugural BaF Champs 2018

It's Been Real BaF!

Check out the No Blood No Foul Podcast below with your boys from Real GM:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
ForzaMetro
Senior
And1: 680

Post#9 » by ForzaMetro » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:35 am

Gulati and Arena should be fired before midnight and anyone 28-29 or older should be exiled. Need new leadership and a commitment to build through young players. 2022 is a long ways away. Ugh.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,401

Post#10 » by robillionaire » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:42 am

happy for Honduras. even though a 2009 US coup kidnapped their democratically elected leader and installed a regime that executes indigenous rights activists at least they still managed to beat the US in soccer
Maury2423
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,543

Post#11 » by Maury2423 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 am

The USMNT is embarrassing and will never be the powerhouse that it should be unless they realize that the development of a player needs to start before they hit 10yrs old. This country has so many sports that are popular that it attracts kids to play them, so very rarely will a young kid stick to just one sport and have HIGH QUALITY training instead of those horrible coaches in the rec and bs "travel" league. I tell you this because I was one of those kids about a decade ago, but I was a little older like 14. I was the captain on one of the top5 u17 travel clubs here in the country, we were based out of south Florida and all of our players were kids that recently arrived from South America and probably 2 or 3 kids that were born and raised here in USA. I was much different from the other kids that were born and raised in the USA because my mother and family are from Uruguay and I bled futbol ever since I was born, I cared for nothing else and the ppl coaching me knew what they were talking about. I eventually got to an age, about 15, when I was in high school where I was exposed to other sports like basketball. I started to slowly get away from futbol practice and started to play basketball more often and eventually I quit soccer at about 15... BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. I played often against Jozy when he played on a local travel team down here in south florida right before he went on to the MetroStars and Bedoya was my back up on our travel team and he left to another club where he blossomed into a big name player due to A LOT of hard work he put in.

I kind of went off on a tangent but my point is that this country will never be the powerhouse it should be because of the lack of quality coaching at the youth level(before the age of 10) and the exposure to other sports which are much more popular in this country. Unfortunately, the World Cup this summer won't get the attention it needs here in USA for it to attract more fans and young kids to play and be passionate about the sport. =(

On a happy note.... Uruguay NOMAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooooo happy Chile didn't make it and Peru has a chance to make if they beat New Zealand, which they should.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,065

Post#12 » by Jeffrey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 am

Like everything Americans do... throw a **** of money into something (billions of dollars into soccer) and get subpar product.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#13 » by poeman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 am

Bigger story is literally Messi carrying Argentina alone to world cup. Down 1-0 against Ecuador and needing a win he scored a hat trick.

Then there is Peru who will have a playoff which I am excited for
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#14 » by Pharmcat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 am

Absolute embarrassment :noway:
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,519

Post#15 » by adjacent2bench » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:27 am

With football on the downtrend and soccer rising in popularity in America, expect great things in the future.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#16 » by poeman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:03 am

adjacent2bench wrote:With football on the downtrend and soccer rising in popularity in America, expect great things in the future.

They have been saying this **** since 1994.

Unless the soccer system in this country doesnt change it wont ever gsin popularity. By that i mean kids have to pay upwards of $2,500 just to join a elite soccer academy. Something parents cant afford. Kids literally have to pay to play soccer.

What a **** joke, on top of that we have countries where kids play soccer to escape their dreadful life situations. They bust their ass...and they have access to play for free on grounds. We cannot continue to commercialize a sport that cant even bring quality.

Garbage all around...just do what Iceland does, find 11 kids train them in facilities from the age of 10. Invest in them and them showcase them when its time.
Maury2423
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,543

Post#17 » by Maury2423 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:32 am

poeman wrote:
adjacent2bench wrote:With football on the downtrend and soccer rising in popularity in America, expect great things in the future.

They have been saying this **** since 1994.

Unless the soccer system in this country doesnt change it wont ever gsin popularity. By that i mean kids have to pay upwards of $2,500 just to join a elite soccer academy. Something parents cant afford. Kids literally have to pay to play soccer.

What a **** joke, on top of that we have countries where kids play soccer to escape their dreadful life situations. They bust their ass...and they have access to play for free on grounds. We cannot continue to commercialize a sport that cant even bring quality.

Garbage all around...just do what Iceland does, find 11 kids train them in facilities from the age of 10. Invest in them and them showcase them when its time.

I agree with everything you posted but the bolded part is probably the BIGGEST issue. The cost of playing for an "elite" academy is a joke and what's even worse is the coches
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#18 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:25 am

They're are a ton of systemic issues with why we struggle at soccer that I'm sure other smart posters will touch on as I'm too tired to go through it but hopefully This is a wake up call for US soccer to change things up. We have some really good players coming through the ranks now and MLS academies are becoming more prevalent and viable. It's going to be a while but we'll get there eventually. Hiring Arena was 2 steps backwards and he should be fired before he even gets off the plane and Klinsmann should still be in charge of youth development. Find a younger more forward looking coach (maybe a Tab Ramos for example) and lets sink or swim with the young pups next cycle. Pulisic is the real deal btw. Could become the US's first legitimate top 30-50 player in the world.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#19 » by NY2TheBay » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:26 am

Knicksfan1992 wrote:They're are a ton of systemic issues with why we struggle at soccer that I'm sure other smart posters will touch on as I'm too tired to go through it but hopefully This is a wake up call for US soccer to change things up. We have some really good players coming through the ranks now and MLS academies are becoming more prevalent and viable. It's going to be a while but we'll get there eventually. Hiring Arena was 2 steps backwards and he should be fired before he even gets off the plane and Klinsmann should still be in charge of youth development. Find a younger more forward looking coach (maybe a Tab Ramos for example) and lets sink or swim with the young pups next cycle. Pulisic is the real deal btw. Could become the US's first legitimate top 30-50 player in the world.

I could go down that path and break it down but Im going to sit this one out, partner. Flawed by hindering the growth of players, I dealt with it on the youth scale, its ugly. Hopefully it changes so our best talents arent forced to go overseas to develop in youth programs/academies. I saw some of the most talented players here in the states get neutered and fall victim to nonsense coaching.

Lemme rant, cause I've seen you drop knowledge with soccer and we share a lot of similar beliefs in bball too...

I played D1, ODP state, reached the regional pool in Colorado Springs. One of my best friends was a lottery pick in the MLS. He salvaged his career by dipping out to brazil to go play in their well known youth academy (forgot the name). He got no playing time on my premiere club team cause he didnt fit systematic play the coach wanted. That wasnt even ODP or D1....club, he rode the bench. Let that sink in, its our system in a nutshell. Seen it on both coasts since I lived on both as a youth. Seen and played against the best of the best in the tristate area and out here in cali. Coaching, development of players and not giving kids the freedom to express their talents is a huge downfall.

Theres more and Im sure you have a better pulse on the current, but this is just what I saw which cultivated what essentially we're seeing now.

EDIT--I'll keep my eye out for Pulisic, maybe he'll spark an interest for me to watch a little.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#20 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:22 am

Maury2423 wrote:The USMNT is embarrassing and will never be the powerhouse that it should be unless they realize that the development of a player needs to start before they hit 10yrs old. This country has so many sports that are popular that it attracts kids to play them, so very rarely will a young kid stick to just one sport and have HIGH QUALITY training instead of those horrible coaches in the rec and bs "travel" league. I tell you this because I was one of those kids about a decade ago, but I was a little older like 14. I was the captain on one of the top5 u17 travel clubs here in the country, we were based out of south Florida and all of our players were kids that recently arrived from South America and probably 2 or 3 kids that were born and raised here in USA. I was much different from the other kids that were born and raised in the USA because my mother and family are from Uruguay and I bled futbol ever since I was born, I cared for nothing else and the ppl coaching me knew what they were talking about. I eventually got to an age, about 15, when I was in high school where I was exposed to other sports like basketball. I started to slowly get away from futbol practice and started to play basketball more often and eventually I quit soccer at about 15... BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. I played often against Jozy when he played on a local travel team down here in south florida right before he went on to the MetroStars and Bedoya was my back up on our travel team and he left to another club where he blossomed into a big name player due to A LOT of hard work he put in.

I kind of went off on a tangent but my point is that this country will never be the powerhouse it should be because of the lack of quality coaching at the youth level(before the age of 10) and the exposure to other sports which are much more popular in this country. Unfortunately, the World Cup this summer won't get the attention it needs here in USA for it to attract more fans and young kids to play and be passionate about the sport. =(

On a happy note.... Uruguay NOMAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooooo happy Chile didn't make it and Peru has a chance to make if they beat New Zealand, which they should.

Good points and you speak from experience. I still think there is enough of a talent pool here to develop players from here and keep them interested although we probably still need to have them polished overseas ie Pulisic.

I was sad to see Chile not make it. They were a fun team to watch when they were on. Really played as a team. My wife is Colombian so I'll root for them and maybe there'll be another team or two I end up liking but this WC won't be as fun for me with no USA.

People might not be understanding how much of a blow this is. It is crucial that USA keeps qualifying to keep interest high in the sport. I think they saw team was faltering and they wanted to ensure qualifying so they went safe and chose Arena but I feel like he's a manager from a past era. The USA needs to start the next phase which is where they start playing a freer more creative football and until they can successfully do that they will always hit a wall. But for that they need more talented domestically developed players and you guys are absolutely dead right on those academies and etc. The previous manager had right long term idea on development and play style but was a weak game Manager.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard

Return to New York Knicks