ImageImageImageImageImage

2018 Draft Thread (UPDATED POLL)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who ya wanna tank for?

Luka Doncic
54%
Marvin Bagley
11%
Michael Porter Jr
23%
Mohamed Bamba
3%
DeAndre Ayton
3%
Hamidou Diallo
1%
Kevin Knox
2%
Colin Sexton
1%
Miles Bridges
2%
Isaac Bonga
2%

Total votes: 171

IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Re: 2018 Draft Thread (UPDATED POLL) 

Post#1021 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 pm

TankCommander17 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:I'm surprised so many folks prefer Doncic over Porter/Bagley. I think Bagley will end up being the best player in this draft.

Bagley All Day. Best Player in the Draft Hands Down to me.

We finally agree on something. Team Bagley all day. I like Ayton too but I need to see more in college.

The motor with Ayton is troubling. Every report says he stopped trying years ago because he feels he is so good already(which he is). I want work ethic over Talent in the case of a bigman. Hopefully, he feels college is a challenge to him.
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer
And1: 665

Post#1022 » by TankCommander17 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:14 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
TankCommander17 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

We finally agree on something. Team Bagley all day. I like Ayton too but I need to see more in college.

The motor with Ayton is troubling. Every report says he stopped trying years ago because he feels he is so good already(which he is). I want work ethic over Talent in the case of a bigman. Hopefully, he feels college is a challenge to him.

Agreed. It is frustrating because if he had that drive he could be an elite, elite talent. He has all the physical skills for it at his position.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1023 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:15 pm

TankCommander17 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Between Doncic and Bagley who is the better play maker? I like Porter he looks good but im tired of not having a play maker.

Doncic.

What do you think of Bagley as a talent?

Depends on the day. :lol: Some days I see shades of Anthony Davis, other days I see a super Brandon Wright. He's an awesome athlete who's super light on his feet, good defender and rebounder, good handle for a big, runs the floor like a gazelle, and has a nice touch around the basket...but then I think his jumper is more "shows flashes" than consistent (not an issue), not the best finisher with right hand, skinny, measurements might not be that great, and he's skinny. The pluses are definitely more than the minuses, though.

I think Ayton is the more skilled big, but there are questions about his motor (some of which have been quelled by the coaches before the season, so that's good)...but no real fit with KP. Bamba intrigues me because of his size, defensive ability (even if he's a bit awkward at times on perimeter), and he's shown flashes of a jumper in preseason...but there is no real fit with KP. Bagley I think actually fits better than Bamba and Ayton with KP, but it's not a "perfect" fit.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1024 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:18 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:I'm surprised so many folks prefer Doncic over Porter/Bagley. I think Bagley will end up being the best player in this draft.

I have it Doncic #1 and bagley #2...now I wouldn't be upset with either :lol: :lol:

but if we had #1 im going Doncic having a playmaking wing that does a little of everything is exactly what we need. Having him and Frank interchangeable setting up KP in spots would be my dream. Frank makes up for some of Doncic defensive short comings as well.

I dont care what anyone says. Doncic will be suspect in the NBA on defense. Knicks Lack athletes, in an athletic NBA. I highly doubt Doncic will be the 2 on the squad. They gave Tim Hardaway all that money to be the 2. Doncic will get burned at the 3 in the NBA.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,703

Post#1025 » by F N 11 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:18 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Between Doncic and Bagley who is the better play maker? I like Porter he looks good but im tired of not having a play maker.

So whats the dude in your avatar supposed to be? You also comparing a big man to a wing in terms of playmaking. Bagley does not need to playmake. He does everything else, and is still getting better at what he does now.

Frank still has to develop and show he can be a threat attacking the rim to really excel at that aspect. Doncic is really good already. Him and Frank will make for a sharp shooting unselfish back court. I made the comparison bc I am ignorant to Bagley. When someone is compared to Lamar Odom I think its a fair question, especially when im not familiar.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer

Post#1026 » by TankCommander17 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:19 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

I have it Doncic #1 and bagley #2...now I wouldn't be upset with either :lol: :lol:

but if we had #1 im going Doncic having a playmaking wing that does a little of everything is exactly what we need. Having him and Frank interchangeable setting up KP in spots would be my dream. Frank makes up for some of Doncic defensive short comings as well.

I dont care what anyone says. Doncic will be suspect in the NBA on defense. Knicks Lack athletes, in an athletic NBA. I highly doubt Doncic will be the 2 on the squad. They gave Tim Hardaway all that money to be the 2. Doncic will get burned at the 3 in the NBA.

We are on a roll here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is exactly how I feel about him.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,119

Post#1027 » by mpharris36 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:KT I know the draft is fluid right now especially not knowing who might declare but do you have your eye on any prospects in the early early 2nd (bulls pick). Assuming we nab Doncic with our first that makes sense in that small ball PF type role who will defend, rebound, high IQ that will do the little things who compliments KP?

Just made a post with my dream draft and semi-realistic one.

Small ball 4s RIGHT NOW I think are hard to nab in the 2nd. Johnathan Williams could be a guy we should be looking at - good rebounder, good defender, and he's being coached by Mark Few who I like a lot. The second rounder is where we could be looking at 3/D guys and guards who fit with this team going forward, like Mikal Bridges (LOVE his game), Rawle Atkins (not the best fit with our team, but on my list nonetheless), Shake Milton, Devonte Graham, and Theo Pinson are guys I'd look at.

The key for us in finding a small ball 4 who'd fit next to KP would be for us to trade either back into lottery and hope Robert Williams is there, or in the mid-first. That said, the season hasn't even begun yet so it's all very fluid. The picture will get clearer as the season starts and progresses.

yeah it will be really interesting to see what Perry can do with the Lee/KOQ package. If he somehow get somewhere in the low 20's we might be able to add another nice piece....but seeing the early mocks it def doesn't seem likely a compliment to KP will be there in the early 2nd round...but its early draft can be fluid down there.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer

Post#1028 » by TankCommander17 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
TankCommander17 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Doncic.

What do you think of Bagley as a talent?

Depends on the day. :lol: Some days I see shades of Anthony Davis, other days I see a super Brandon Wright. He's an awesome athlete who's super light on his feet, good defender and rebounder, good handle for a big, runs the floor like a gazelle, and has a nice touch around the basket...but then I think his jumper is more "shows flashes" than consistent (not an issue), not the best finisher with right hand, skinny, measurements might not be that great, and he's skinny. The pluses are definitely more than the minuses, though.

I think Ayton is the more skilled big, but there are questions about his motor (some of which have been quelled by the coaches before the season, so that's good)...but no real fit with KP. Bamba intrigues me because of his size, defensive ability (even if he's a bit awkward at times on perimeter), and he's shown flashes of a jumper in preseason...but there is no real fit with KP. Bagley I think actually fits better than Bamba and Ayton with KP, but it's not a "perfect" fit.

I see a more athletic Chris Bosh without the jumpshot. I don't think I see elite elite talent like Davis. But he is the best prospect out of the draft imo.

If Ayton shows a motor in college the he might shoot to #1 in my draft board. I honestly don't care about fit. I care about hoarding the best available talent then figuring it out later.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1029 » by mpharris36 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:22 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

i project Doncic will play more 3 in the NBA. There aren't that many dynamic SF"s in the NBA. It's more about defending the guard position.

Sure Doncic won't be guarding your LeBron/Melo/Kawhi type SF's...but those guys are even transitioning to more of the small ball 4 role. So we would need more of a defender at the 4.

Just stick Doncic on the trevor ariza 3/D types and he will be fine. :D

ROSTER

Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,682

Post#1030 » by Fat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 pm

camillepd wrote:Doncic is a 2 that doesn't defend. Is that really what we need?

i think he's pretty much destined to be a 6'8 point forward. He's the best fit but i wouldn't call him the best talent in the draft yet.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1031 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:25 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:KT I know the draft is fluid right now especially not knowing who might declare but do you have your eye on any prospects in the early early 2nd (bulls pick). Assuming we nab Doncic with our first that makes sense in that small ball PF type role who will defend, rebound, high IQ that will do the little things who compliments KP?

Just made a post with my dream draft and semi-realistic one.

Small ball 4s RIGHT NOW I think are hard to nab in the 2nd. Johnathan Williams could be a guy we should be looking at - good rebounder, good defender, and he's being coached by Mark Few who I like a lot. The second rounder is where we could be looking at 3/D guys and guards who fit with this team going forward, like Mikal Bridges (LOVE his game), Rawle Atkins (not the best fit with our team, but on my list nonetheless), Shake Milton, Devonte Graham, and Theo Pinson are guys I'd look at.

The key for us in finding a small ball 4 who'd fit next to KP would be for us to trade either back into lottery and hope Robert Williams is there, or in the mid-first. That said, the season hasn't even begun yet so it's all very fluid. The picture will get clearer as the season starts and progresses.

yeah it will be really interesting to see what Perry can do with the Lee/KOQ package. If he somehow get somewhere in the low 20's we might be able to add another nice piece....but seeing the early mocks it def doesn't seem likely a compliment to KP will be there in the early 2nd round...but its early draft can be fluid down there.

I'm hoping that Kentucky's depth kind of helps us find someone in the mid first. I think one of Vanderbilt / Washington can fall, and either of them (Vanderbilt being the more talented of the two) would fit with KP. 3/D guy is definitely "easier" to find than small ball 4 in this years draft. I want the damn season to start.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1032 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:28 pm

TankCommander17 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
TankCommander17 wrote:What do you think of Bagley as a talent?

I see a more athletic Chris Bosh without the jumpshot. I don't think I see elite elite talent like Davis. But he is the best prospect out of the draft imo.

If Ayton shows a motor in college the he might shoot to #1 in my draft board. I honestly don't care about fit. I care about hoarding the best available talent then figuring it out later.

I was thinking Bosh, but I see AD level defensive potential in Bagley. I also didn't want do the whole lefty-lefty comparison...thought that was lazy, but there are definitely shades of Bosh. I think Ayton is the most skilled prospect in terms of skill set with Doncic just below that and Bagley just below that, but the three of them are really close that if we end up with 1, I'm still taking Doncic. He's the best wing prospect I've seen in the draft in years. We really can't miss getting either of them.

IF Bamba shows a jumper this year, he's going to shoot up in the draft as well and be in the conversation - maybe not with us (who knows?), but the more players at the top of the draft, the better chance we have of nabbing someone good.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1033 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:31 pm

K P 6 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

So whats the dude in your avatar supposed to be? You also comparing a big man to a wing in terms of playmaking. Bagley does not need to playmake. He does everything else, and is still getting better at what he does now.

Frank still has to develop and show he can be a threat attacking the rim to really excel at that aspect. Doncic is really good already. Him and Frank will make for a sharp shooting unselfish back court. I made the comparison bc I am ignorant to Bagley. When someone is compared to Lamar Odom I think its a fair question, especially when im not familiar.

Well if someone made the comparison to Lamar Odom they are OFF. He is nowhere near Lamar Odom in terms of Ball Handling Ability and playmaking.
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer

Post#1034 » by TankCommander17 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
TankCommander17 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

I was thinking Bosh, but I see AD level defensive potential in Bagley. I also didn't want do the whole lefty-lefty comparison...thought that was lazy, but there are definitely shades of Bosh. I think Ayton is the most skilled prospect in terms of skill set with Doncic just below that and Bagley just below that, but the three of them are really close that if we end up with 1, I'm still taking Doncic. He's the best wing prospect I've seen in the draft in years. We really can't miss getting either of them.

IF Bamba shows a jumper this year, he's going to shoot up in the draft as well and be in the conversation - maybe not with us (who knows?), but the more players at the top of the draft, the better chance we have of nabbing someone good.

I like Bamba's drive to get better. I may just be projecting but that is the feel I get for the kid when I see vids of him.

Bamba with a jumper might be what we need. But hopefully yeah the top 4 all do well and we nab one of them.

DO NOT WANT PORTER JR.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1035 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:33 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

i project Doncic will play more 3 in the NBA. There aren't that many dynamic SF"s in the NBA. It's more about defending the guard position.

Sure Doncic won't be guarding your LeBron/Melo/Kawhi type SF's...but those guys are even transitioning to more of the small ball 4 role. So we would need more of a defender at the 4.

Like KP on the Ryan Anderson types? :lol:
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,703

Post#1036 » by F N 11 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:34 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Well if someone made the comparison to Lamar Odom they are OFF. He is nowhere near Lamar Odom in terms of Ball Handling Ability and playmaking.

Who would you compare him to? also opinions on Porter?
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1037 » by mpharris36 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Like KP on the Ryan Anderson types? :lol:

KP will eventually be a center...he has too...he needs to be guarding Capella and guys near the rim. Him and Frank should set the tone defensively in the P&R.

Now don't get me wrong Bagley would be a nice PF next to KP... :)

ROSTER

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1038 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Jarred Vanderbilt is way closer to Lamar than Bagley is, and even that's not a perfect one because I think Vanderbilt is more aggressive and his vision isn't fully there (yet?).
semjazy
Junior
And1: 169

Post#1039 » by semjazy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:00 pm

How do you guys compare Begley to Harry Giles in HS? Isn't he what Giles suppose to be, but more perimeter orientated?
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1040 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:00 pm

K P 6 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Frank still has to develop and show he can be a threat attacking the rim to really excel at that aspect. Doncic is really good already. Him and Frank will make for a sharp shooting unselfish back court. I made the comparison bc I am ignorant to Bagley. When someone is compared to Lamar Odom I think its a fair question, especially when im not familiar.

Who would you compare him to? also opinions on Porter?

Bagley? Tough. I would have a better scope of his full game seeing him College to say who he reminds me of.He is one of those players that has a mix of a few cats in his game.

Porter? I'm not really a Fan of him. I personally would not want him on the Knicks as of right now. Like I said earlier in this thread he is the one top American prospect that will have to wow me in college to want him. What i saw from in HS does not make say oooohhh I want him. So my true opinions on him are TBD.

Return to New York Knicks