ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: USA Fails to qualify for world cup

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Re: OT: USA Fails to qualify for world cup 

Post#41 » by el13adnino » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm

What’s the furthest EEUU has made it in a World Cup?
:crazy:
don't panac
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#42 » by don't panac » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:45 pm

el13adnino wrote:What’s the furthest EEUU has made it in a World Cup?

semi-final in the 30s.
in modern times i think it was round of 16, a few times, IIRC.

i think if they start a proper planning, they should/could aim at quarter finals in 2022 and a shot at finals for 2026 at home (if we get it, which is a good possibility)
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,599

Post#43 » by El Poochio » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Trumpeed boycotting Russia reaching new levels

Losing to Trinidad Tobago loooooooooooooooool

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
The_Special_One
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#44 » by The_Special_One » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:51 pm

El Poochio wrote:Trumpeed boycotting Russia reaching new levels

Time to root for the Euro champs. We're going to win the World Cup too! :rockon:
El Poochio

Post#45 » by El Poochio » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:52 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:lets goooooooooo

ATO BOLDON WE DID IT BABY TRIMDADDY TOBACCOOOOOOOOH

El Poochio

Post#46 » by El Poochio » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:54 pm

The_Special_One wrote:
El Poochio wrote:Trumpeed boycotting Russia reaching new levels

Time to root for the Euro champs. We're going to win the World Cup too! :rockon:

ICELAND BABY GYLFI PLEASUREZZZZ

Maury2423
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,543

Post#47 » by Maury2423 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:13 pm

seren wrote:I am very disappointed. I was hoping to watch the US games with my son who just recently started playing soccer.

I don't want to go into conspiracy but this kinda saved the team to go to Russia during very weird times and the public having some unpleasant conversations about current political climate surrounding both countries' leadership.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app

That's what makes me so damn upset about USMNT not making the WC. Btw I hope your son is enjoying playing
The_Special_One
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#48 » by The_Special_One » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:02 pm

seren wrote:I am very disappointed. I was hoping to watch the US games with my son who just recently started playing soccer.

I don't want to go into conspiracy but this kinda saved the team to go to Russia during very weird times and the public having some unpleasant conversations about current political climate surrounding both countries' leadership.

You can still watch the World Cup with your son, Sir! I'm glad football (erm, soccer or whatever you call there xD) is still growing in the USA. Even though you always beat Portugal in WC, it saddens me that you didn't qualify to Russia 2018.

Perhaps I'll see your son in a World Cup in the future. :)
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,105

Post#49 » by moocow007 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Soccer may be popular in this country but it's not something that gets a lot of parents willing to invest a lot of money, energy and time on. In the US it's still baseball, football and basketball for the "sports parents" that really view competitive sports as a career for their kids (and those are the one's that push the kids down a path and sustain their dedication to a sport).

Sure some of the highest paid athletes in the world are soccer players but they don't play in the US for US based leagues. What parent (that is not originally from Brazil or Yugoslavia) is thinking, yeah it'll be great if my 8 year old ends up playing professional soccer in Brazil or Yugoslavia? <-- it's the way that most people think (human nature = predictable).

In the US? I mean honestly, how many people would know the players in the MLS? Heck, how many people even know what you mean when you say MLS (compared to NBA, MLB or NFL)? Most would probably think you're talking about real estate (MLS = Multiple Listing Service that most real estate companies use).

The highest paid player in MLS (the US based Major League Soccer) was paid "only" about $7 million a year. His (nick)name is Kaka. I would guarantee you that 99.44% of the US population would have no idea who Kaka is and would think that you are insulting them instead if you mentioned the name ("You know kaka?"). But if you mention any of a few dozen baseball, football and/or basketball players and the majority will know exactly who those guys are.

Parents drive investment in the kids. Unless and until soccer as a US based sport gets the type of name recognition that the NBA, MLB and NFL get, parents aren't going that route. People go down the path of what they are familiar with most. What they see as an "American" sport. What they believe to be the best "career path" for their kids.

Heck I say this from experience. I'm pushing my son, who his coaches have said has a great arm and a great feel for pitching, to be a pitcher. BTW...he also has really strong legs and kick the **** out of balls but soccer? Yeah, no. Much more opportunity for him to get a baseball scholarship for college (perception or reality doesn't matter since that's what I believe). Much more interest on my part in my "fantasy" of my kid being a MLB player.
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,702

Post#50 » by JohnWillow » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Yall want to know what is embarrassing? Latvia's national soccer team.

In 2004 where we somehow beat Turkish National team to get in the EURO 2004 for the first time, where Latvia played a draw against freaking Germany and lost because of the referee to the Czech Republic... it was our highest point and I thought it would be only the beginning for the soccer here, but then the downfall, we are now ranked in 140 something place in the world ranking and can't make simple 2 passes without making mistake while making 3rd pass.

Two years ago FIFA or UEFA gave Latvian soccer federation few million dollars to help Latvia build a new stadium, the money now is gone and there is no new stadium here... talk about corruption where the ''soccer'' main guys are putting that money in the pocket.

The coaches they hire are freaking awful, the coach who is now is the same who was sacked 10 years ago and then he was back again and he was fired again like 4 years ago and then rehired again last year... like are you kidding me? That's a joke. It's like he doesn't know what means attack, it feels like he is playing with rotation 1 goalkeeper 10 defenders, they are just placing a bus in front of our goal and are hoping to get a 0-0 draw... NO CREATIVITY, nothing.

Our best player is 37 years old goalkeeper who is playing in Switzerland, our only player from TOP 5 European league just retired, he was playing in German Bundesliga, we have nothing, no training facilities, no coaches, even no normal stadium, the Latvian league teams are just trying to make some money from UEFA playing in Champions Leagues and Euro League qualification and + there is a lot of betting scandals here, we are embarrassment.

AND THE SAME Football federation president is running things there for freaking 27 years, while he is there he is stealing money and only how we can possibly have new president, if he somehow dies. It's that awful here.

I could go on and on about this, I Love Soccer, in 2004 Euro championship I was in middle school and soccer was everything then for me.

It's just sad that we as a Latvian fans are suffering, because of people who are stealing the money, with whom we could build for the future...
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#51 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
ForzaMetro wrote:Gulati and Arena should be fired before midnight and anyone 28-29 or older should be exiled. Need new leadership and a commitment to build through young players. 2022 is a long ways away. Ugh.

Arena should never have been brought back

he was always terrible

conservative, unimaginative, uninspired play basically built around counter attacking and trying to steal a run against play

Klinsman should never have been let go. he was excellent for USA soccer

terrible

I would have liked him to remain in some capacity overseeing the development of national team but not necessarily as a manager. He was right on the money about what USA needs to improve but as a manager in terms of in-game he was spotty.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#52 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:02 am

moocow007 wrote:Soccer may be popular in this country but it's not something that gets a lot of parents willing to invest a lot of money, energy and time on. In the US it's still baseball, football and basketball for the "sports parents" that really view competitive sports as a career for their kids (and those are the one's that push the kids down a path and sustain their dedication to a sport).

Sure some of the highest paid athletes in the world are soccer players but they don't play in the US for US based leagues. What parent (that is not originally from Brazil or Yugoslavia) is thinking, yeah it'll be great if my 8 year old ends up playing professional soccer in Brazil or Yugoslavia? <-- it's the way that most people think (human nature = predictable).

In the US? I mean honestly, how many people would know the players in the MLS? Heck, how many people even know what you mean when you say MLS (compared to NBA, MLB or NFL)? Most would probably think you're talking about real estate (MLS = Multiple Listing Service that most real estate companies use).

The highest paid player in MLS (the US based Major League Soccer) was paid "only" about $7 million a year. His (nick)name is Kaka. I would guarantee you that 99.44% of the US population would have no idea who Kaka is and would think that you are insulting them instead if you mentioned the name ("You know kaka?"). But if you mention any of a few dozen baseball, football and/or basketball players and the majority will know exactly who those guys are.

Parents drive investment in the kids. Unless and until soccer as a US based sport gets the type of name recognition that the NBA, MLB and NFL get, parents aren't going that route. People go down the path of what they are familiar with most. What they see as an "American" sport. What they believe to be the best "career path" for their kids.

Heck I say this from experience. I'm pushing my son, who his coaches have said has a great arm and a great feel for pitching, to be a pitcher. BTW...he also has really strong legs and kick the **** out of balls but soccer? Yeah, no. Much more opportunity for him to get a baseball scholarship for college (perception or reality doesn't matter since that's what I believe). Much more interest on my part in my "fantasy" of my kid being a MLB player.

Is he left handed? Lol

It is so difficult to make it to MLB though. Meanwhile there are so many soccer leagues worldwide where an athlete can make good money. But you're right most American parents don't see that.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,261

Post#53 » by gavran » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 am

JohnWillow wrote:Yall want to know what is embarrassing? Latvia's national soccer team.

In 2004 where we somehow beat Turkish National team to get in the EURO 2004 for the first time, where Latvia played a draw against freaking Germany and lost because of the referee to the Czech Republic... it was our highest point and I thought it would be only the beginning for the soccer here, but then the downfall, we are now ranked in 140 something place in the world ranking and can't make simple 2 passes without making mistake while making 3rd pass.

Two years ago FIFA or UEFA gave Latvian soccer federation few million dollars to help Latvia build a new stadium, the money now is gone and there is no new stadium here... talk about corruption where the ''soccer'' main guys are putting that money in the pocket.

The coaches they hire are freaking awful, the coach who is now is the same who was sacked 10 years ago and then he was back again and he was fired again like 4 years ago and then rehired again last year... like are you kidding me? That's a joke. It's like he doesn't know what means attack, it feels like he is playing with rotation 1 goalkeeper 10 defenders, they are just placing a bus in front of our goal and are hoping to get a 0-0 draw... NO CREATIVITY, nothing.

Our best player is 37 years old goalkeeper who is playing in Switzerland, our only player from TOP 5 European league just retired, he was playing in German Bundesliga, we have nothing, no training facilities, no coaches, even no normal stadium, the Latvian league teams are just trying to make some money from UEFA playing in Champions Leagues and Euro League qualification and + there is a lot of betting scandals here, we are embarrassment.

AND THE SAME Football federation president is running things there for freaking 27 years, while he is there he is stealing money and only how we can possibly have new president, if he somehow dies. It's that awful here.

I could go on and on about this, I Love Soccer, in 2004 Euro championship I was in middle school and soccer was everything then for me.

It's just sad that we as a Latvian fans are suffering, because of people who are stealing the money, with whom we could build for the future...

My team is worse than your team. In the NBA too.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#54 » by br7knicks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:08 am

like soccer?

the only sport more boring than football and baseball :sleep:
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#55 » by John Murdoch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:42 pm

All pretty valid point here nice to see intelligent soccer fans on here. I played alot of AYSO as a kid and the best player on all of my teams was always a spanish dude from somewhere else . We as americans love variety so focusing on one sport isnt so cut and dry unless ur physically built to dominate that sport (7fter bball, super small jockey etc..) the youth academies axcell because the kids basically live on campus and receive an education along with elite traning but how would we be able to bypass the Collegiate level ? Somene needs to be givent the green light to reconstruct the entire farming system because like others have stated we still have the best recources and athletism to be a formidable team its just the infrastructure isnt there alot how like basketball in brazil or mexico is ..just not enough public interest to bother developing it.
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#56 » by GIMME_DATT » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:49 pm

br7knicks wrote:like soccer?

Golf is the most boring sport not even close
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#57 » by br7knicks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm

GIMME_DATT wrote:
br7knicks wrote:like soccer?

Golf is the most boring sport not even close

Have you ever been hungover? Best thing to have on in the background.

There was a study. Football games are usually 3 and a half hours long, with only 8 - 10 minutes of action. That's awful, proportionally. Golf > football, baseball, soccer. Barely tho
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#58 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:18 pm

John Murdoch wrote:All pretty valid point here nice to see intelligent soccer fans on here. I played alot of AYSO as a kid and the best player on all of my teams was always a spanish dude from somewhere else . We as americans love variety so focusing on one sport isnt so cut and dry unless ur physically built to dominate that sport (7fter bball, super small jockey etc..) the youth academies axcell because the kids basically live on campus and receive an education along with elite traning but how would we be able to bypass the Collegiate level ? Somene needs to be givent the green light to reconstruct the entire farming system because like others have stated we still have the best recources and athletism to be a formidable team its just the infrastructure isnt there alot how like basketball in brazil or mexico is ..just not enough public interest to bother developing it.

One of the biggest steps we can take is removing college soccer from the NCAA or somehow make an exception for soccer having more practice hours and less restrictions on when players can meet up for practice or training. It's a longshot though, the NCAA itself doesn't care about soccer and until that changes college will be a useless route for the average American player to develop into an above average professional which is somewhat of a deathblow to American growth because of the importance/social implications we put on attending college.

The scariest part of this whole ordeal is that not one respected person within US Soccer ranks has even hinted at a change after this. You would think this would wake them up...
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Re: RE: Re: OT: USA Fails to qualify for world cup 

Post#59 » by seren » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Maury2423 wrote:

That's what makes me so damn upset about USMNT not making the WC. Btw I hope your son is enjoying playing

Thank! He is enjoying it so far.

seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Re: RE: Re: OT: USA Fails to qualify for world cup 

Post#60 » by seren » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:31 pm

The_Special_One wrote:

You can still watch the World Cup with your son, Sir! I'm glad football (erm, soccer or whatever you call there xD) is still growing in the USA. Even though you always beat Portugal in WC, it saddens me that you didn't qualify to Russia 2018.

Perhaps I'll see your son in a World Cup in the future. :)

We will watch it for sure. We may even support Portugal. Ronaldo is one of his favorite players.

Return to New York Knicks