ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,851

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins signs five-year, $148M extension 

Post#61 » by robillionaire » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Looks like we got THJ on a discount.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#62 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

You Make no sense. Who cares if he is top 15 in sales or any of that stuff. Common Sense will tell you that Fans who paid for tickets came out to see Towns Wiggins play. **** people come out to see scrubs liek Kuz play its the reason why they chant his name. They want to see him. But a player like Wiggins nobody wants to see him :lol:

Yeah, there are no kids and such that want their parents to take them to see Andrew Wiggins. Or no Adults are coming to see him play. If its all conjecture why even try to oppose what I say if you have no proof to back up your counter argument.

I make no sense? YOU said he's there for ticketing, well, if he is, why are the Wolves having major issues getting people to the games? I never said they didn't go to see Wiggins...the only thing I said was that the Wolves filled up 76.5% of the seats last year. That's the second lowest in the league. You're the one putting the wrong words in my mouth. I made a statement, that's it.

The bold makes no sense. You said the contract is fine because of ticketing - I said they are 2nd lowest in ticket sales and his jerseys aren't selling off the shelves either. Would you like to come up with some reason why they're super low in ticketing sales if fans go there to see him? I'll take anything - weather is bad, prices too high, busy, legit anything...it could all be true...but so could it simply being true that fans don't love Wiggins as much as you think they do...because if they did, it would show up somewhere quantitative. You can legit throw **** at the wall hoping something can stick and it could very well be right, or it could just be completely wrong. At least the **** that I've thrown at the wall is of some interest because, you know, fans go to the games to see him play...right? :-?

Where did I say the contract is "fine". Now you making **** up. I said its basically market rate for an extension of a young 20+ scorer that still has potential, which if it was not... He would not have gotten it. Its the same schit when Allan Houston got his 100 million. Thats what the market was like for a player Like him. The same with Joe Johnson the MArket dictates more than us saying well he is overpaid. I CLEARLY said...you can think he is overpaid, but the market will say something else..Oh so your conjecture is better than mines cause you say so. FOH KT. :lol:

"Wiggins is Box Office, Tim is not. A player Like Wiggins puts people in the seats. THJ is not that kind of player. All these things have to be factored into stuff."

"Even before Towns was there, Wiggins Brough Excitement to the wolves. People came out to see him."

You're right, you said it was the market value...which it probably is (except I don't think teams would have had enough cap space to offer him a max contract this upcoming offseason, but I might be wrong). The two quotes above though are what I take issue with.

I also never said what I'm saying is better than yours...there you go again. I said that at least what I'm saying has some backing, whereas yours doesn't really...I even gave you outs if you wanted like price, weather, busy, or whatever. If Wiggins has such a big impact in ticketing that fans go to see him play, you'd think that there would be an uptick in ticketing...right?

2013-14, 75.2%
2014-15, 75.1%

:-?

I've said my piece and I'm pretty sure this is just going to go in circles, so I'm bowing out.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#63 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
I make no sense? YOU said he's there for ticketing, well, if he is, why are the Wolves having major issues getting people to the games? I never said they didn't go to see Wiggins...the only thing I said was that the Wolves filled up 76.5% of the seats last year. That's the second lowest in the league. You're the one putting the wrong words in my mouth. I made a statement, that's it.

The bold makes no sense. You said the contract is fine because of ticketing - I said they are 2nd lowest in ticket sales and his jerseys aren't selling off the shelves either. Would you like to come up with some reason why they're super low in ticketing sales if fans go there to see him? I'll take anything - weather is bad, prices too high, busy, legit anything...it could all be true...but so could it simply being true that fans don't love Wiggins as much as you think they do...because if they did, it would show up somewhere quantitative. You can legit throw **** at the wall hoping something can stick and it could very well be right, or it could just be completely wrong. At least the **** that I've thrown at the wall is of some interest because, you know, fans go to the games to see him play...right? :-?

Where did I say the contract is "fine". Now you making **** up. I said its basically market rate for an extension of a young 20+ scorer that still has potential, which if it was not... He would not have gotten it. Its the same schit when Allan Houston got his 100 million. Thats what the market was like for a player Like him. The same with Joe Johnson the MArket dictates more than us saying well he is overpaid. I CLEARLY said...you can think he is overpaid, but the market will say something else..Oh so your conjecture is better than mines cause you say so. FOH KT. :lol:

"Wiggins is Box Office, Tim is not. A player Like Wiggins puts people in the seats. THJ is not that kind of player. All these things have to be factored into stuff."

"Even before Towns was there, Wiggins Brough Excitement to the wolves. People came out to see him."

You're right, you said it was the market value...which it probably is (except I don't think teams would have had enough cap space to offer him a max contract this upcoming offseason, but I might be wrong). The two quotes above though are what I take issue with.

I also never said what I'm saying is better than yours...there you go again. I said that at least what I'm saying has some backing, whereas yours doesn't really...I even gave you outs if you wanted like price, weather, busy, or whatever. If Wiggins has such a big impact in ticketing that fans go to see him play, you'd think that there would be an uptick in ticketing...right?

2013-14, 75.2%
2014-15, 75.1%

:-?

I've said my piece and I'm pretty sure this is just going to go in circles, so I'm bowing out.

I basically said that plays a PART of the equation so what really is your point. I Did not say that is the reason in totality. Owners think of losing players like that when they young because of how it affects the Money for the franchise if they cant replace them. Which is why you usually see Young players ALWAYS get held on to if the potential is still high.

Also I know I am right. There is a reason why a player who has YET to play a full season got the SAME EXACT NUMBER. Its what the MARKET DICTATES. There is no way to dance around it. MArket Value really has nothing to do with talent in today's NBA. So Embiid can be a million percent better....he STILL got the same exact money on his extension.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#64 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Lol, ok Ill...whatever you say, dude. I'm done here because you know you're right on this whole thing. :giveup:
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#65 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:Lol, ok Ill...whatever you say, dude. I'm done here because you know you're right on this whole thing. :whiteflag:

Im right on the points I am making, sure. :o
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,008

Post#66 » by god shammgod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:speaking of which, it's still preseason but supposedly the knicks aint selling out. wonder how long this rebuild will be allowed to last ?

Well, some fans on here are already annoyed we're rebuilding so... :lol:

Anyways, are you sure the games aren't selling out? I was at the game on Monday and I'd say it came close to selling out, but it was just me eye-balling the seats around so I could be wayyyyy off.

that's what berman said....maybe he was just making it sound worse than it was
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#67 » by god shammgod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:speaking of which, it's still preseason but supposedly the knicks aint selling out. wonder how long this rebuild will be allowed to last ?

Not through preseason, apparently :-?

Fun while it lasted, Capn'O...

my feeling is they'll get two years to tank. after that they'll have to make something happen, a playoff birth i would guess, in year 3 or they're done. that's around the usual amount of time people get.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#68 » by god shammgod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 pm

In the political world of MSG Network, it’s probably unwise to be filetting “The Franchise” who is coming off bruised feelings regarding the organization’s direction last April.

Porzingis, after the Nets blowout, was asked how he’s coping with this rebuilding philosophy.

“Every situation is different, I got to adjust as quick as you can,’’ Porzingis said. “I played on the international team, now I’m here. Different team. Different mindset.

“We’re building something and want to move forward as a team. We’re far from a championship right now. We need to have a progression and move forward as a team and get better every year. I don’t know how long, if we do all the right things and grow, we’ll be there one day.’’

Or not. The rhetoric plays well until a series of botched pick-and-roll assignments leads to the Nets blowing you out of Brooklyn.

The Knicks’ defense picked up where it left off Monday — allowing 35 points to the Rockets in the first quarter. They fought back to a tie late in the half before a second straight non-sellout at the Garden. Get used to it.

The losing would be more palatable if Porzingis was dominating and Ntilikina was playing. He’s appeared in just one of four preseason games after missing all of summer league.

Porzingis and Ntilikina share European heritage and twig-like frames. Perry said patience is needed to build a foundation. Problem is, the Knicks look as sturdy as a house of cards.

damn this article is negative as hell :lol: don't let k p 6 read this.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/knicks-flaws-wont-allow-for-partially-tanked-season/
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,794

Post#69 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 pm

KP and Kneelikina share "twig like frames"?

I never realized Frank was the PG version of Tayshaun Prince.

Berman is such a hack sometimes. Ok, all the time.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,981

Post#70 » by Capn'O » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:23 pm

god shammgod wrote:my feeling is they'll get two years to tank.

That's all I ever asked for. As a bonus, two years where we were just awful AND had our pick. Bon chance!
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#71 » by Marty McFly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 pm

holy **** berman. :lol:
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,022

Post#72 » by moocow007 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 pm

If Perry (who is the guy that Knick fans to really be Lebron like in his respective roles) can't pull gold out of his butt, this isn't going to change enough and we'll be back chasing big name FA's for instant gratification in no time. That's my prediction. Dolan and all.

Spoiler:
I know...but moo...why can't you just be positive..
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#73 » by Sprewell4Three » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Not too impressed by him but he is what... 22? Still has time to grow as a player.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,961

Post#74 » by Besart19 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 am

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:my feeling is they'll get two years to tank.

That's all I ever asked for. As a bonus, two years where we were just awful AND had our pick. Bon chance!

Our rotation/starting five will be all Knicks draftees :) three more years to tank!!

2018: Doncic, Porter or Bagley (also Chi 2nd)

2019: Williamson, Barret or Antetokounmpo (Giannis brother)

2020: Wiseman, Basey or Lewis (also Knicks 2nd)

thats at least five more draft picks not including some other ones we might get by trading the vets

Frank, KP, Willy, THJ, Dotson, Kornet, Baker and Kuz also our pickups... not bad, but still behind Celtics, Sixers & Bucks
Strength and Honour!
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,049

Post#75 » by vallen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:42 am

because there isnt enough great players to go around, teams have to overpay average ones. its the players money. owners are obligated to overpay. wiggins is better then average, but doesnt deserve franchiser money, but hes still going to get it. THJ is a role player who got better than average player money. but shouldnt have.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 15,967

Post#76 » by Wolfgang630 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:54 am

This is Wiggins 4th year. I need to see a BIG jump on defense from him.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#77 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:09 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:Wiggins is Box Office, Tim is not. A player Like Wiggins puts people in the seats. THJ is not that kind of player. All these things have to be factored into stuff.

Ehh I don't think people get hyped like that for Wiggins either though.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#78 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:22 am

god shammgod wrote:
In the political world of MSG Network, it’s probably unwise to be filetting “The Franchise” who is coming off bruised feelings regarding the organization’s direction last April.

Porzingis, after the Nets blowout, was asked how he’s coping with this rebuilding philosophy.

“Every situation is different, I got to adjust as quick as you can,’’ Porzingis said. “I played on the international team, now I’m here. Different team. Different mindset.

“We’re building something and want to move forward as a team. We’re far from a championship right now. We need to have a progression and move forward as a team and get better every year. I don’t know how long, if we do all the right things and grow, we’ll be there one day.’’

Or not. The rhetoric plays well until a series of botched pick-and-roll assignments leads to the Nets blowing you out of Brooklyn.

The Knicks’ defense picked up where it left off Monday — allowing 35 points to the Rockets in the first quarter. They fought back to a tie late in the half before a second straight non-sellout at the Garden. Get used to it.

The losing would be more palatable if Porzingis was dominating and Ntilikina was playing. He’s appeared in just one of four preseason games after missing all of summer league.

Porzingis and Ntilikina share European heritage and twig-like frames. Perry said patience is needed to build a foundation. Problem is, the Knicks look as sturdy as a house of cards.

damn this article is negative as hell :lol: don't let k p 6 read this.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/knicks-flaws-wont-allow-for-partially-tanked-season/

Lmao @ Frank having a twig like frame. Dude has a strong frame and he's only 19. Also why mention the euro thing? Like there aren't fragile American players. These writers are pathetic.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#79 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm

blueNorange wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:$30 mil a year huh?

unreal

and people complained about Melo's salary

this guy has done nothing to earn that contract

Hell Id have included him in the Butler deal and made him Chi's problem and held onto LavIne or the pick

30mm is the new 20mm per year, but that's not the point. wiggins isn't a good player, and he's making bank. that's the issue at hand.

It's true that in terms of cap space it's the new standard franchise player contract

But it's still not $20 mil in real life. It's $30.
That's not an issue for the Knicks or lakers but the wolves aren't a profitable team and this sure isn't gonna help.

It's getting to be a league where a couple teams can compete because they have talent stacked and a couple of teams can afford to pay for talent.

But there is no way they will be able to pay butler, Wiggins and towns the super max deals they will all be on at some point soon.

Things will change
The league can't have 6 profitable teams and the rest losing while handing out these contracts
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#80 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:09 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:$30 mil a year huh?

unreal

and people complained about Melo's salary

this guy has done nothing to earn that contract

Hell Id have included him in the Butler deal and made him Chi's problem and held onto LavIne or the pick

30mm is the new 20mm per year, but that's not the point. wiggins isn't a good player, and he's making bank. that's the issue at hand.

It's true that in terms of cap space it's the new standard franchise player contract

But it's still not $20 mil in real life. It's $30.
That's not an issue for the Knicks or lakers but the wolves aren't a profitable team and this sure isn't gonna help.

It's getting to be a league where a couple teams can compete because they have talent stacked and a couple of teams can afford to pay for talent.

But there is no way they will be able to pay butler, Wiggins and towns the super max deals they will all be on at some point soon.

Things will change
The league can't have 6 profitable teams and the rest losing while handing out these contracts

It's not the league's job to prevent teams from giving out contracts they can't afford.

Return to New York Knicks