ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,706

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#6421 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Polk377 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yanks in a rebuilding year just made the ALCS with their MVP candidate struggling. They beat the best team in the AL, a team that won 102 games and 22 in a row, 3 straight games.

The dynasty is just starting!

It's feeling like 1995 all over again.

A lot of you young guys won't know that feeling, though :lol:
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,412

Post#6422 » by JXL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:03 pm

JXL wrote:This season is a success, win or lose. This team threw the fear of God into the "World Series Favorites" Cleveland Indians, and now we have a do-or-die Game 5 coming up. This series is fascinating, and it would've been over already because the Yankees had Game 2 in their grasp.

FEAR. OF. GOD.

Indians didn't come up in these elimination games. They're pretenders in the postseason.

#Chase28
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#6423 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:03 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:So let's revisit this question, do you still want to fire Girardi?

I don't...

There is so much 20/20 hindsight reporting in sports and also among people thinking back to "the days of yore" when it comes to other championship teams.

During that Yankees run of 1996 to 2000, not every playoff series was a slam dunk or didn't have some luck, or weren't instances where the Yanks lost a game you thought they should win, but then won games you swear they would lose.

Giradi's been good. He has a well known reputation for being good with young players. This will be a young team for a few more years. I hope he stays a while.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#6424 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm

DievsZingis wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yanks in a rebuilding year just made the ALCS with their MVP candidate struggling. They beat the best team in the AL, a team that won 102 games and 22 in a row, 3 straight games.

The dynasty is just starting!

It's feeling like 1995 all over again.

A lot of you young guys won't know that feeling, though :lol:

It feels like 1995 with a deeper farm system. Once the Yanks brought up Rivera, Petite,Jeter, Williams, Kelly for O'Neil, Posada, Mendoza - felt like the minor league was a little bare. I mean, 7 players in the majors - I get that. But this team feels like it's brought up a few guys, - maybe Didi is like O'Neil - that super important piece gotten with a trade from some depth in the organization - and there will be more next year and the year after.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#6425 » by xNewYorkMadex » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Man what a fun team to root for.

I am very happy for Joe. Even after the colossal failure in game 2, I was on record for not wanting to dismiss him as manager. I've always liked and supported Joe. Wouldve been a shame if he was let go if we lost that series. Just real glad the team came together for him and each other.

Chapman has stepped it up big time. Hes another one ive supported even through his rough moments during the season. The demotion was valid and necessary, but he rose to the occasion and is now pulling multi innings saves. Something I was not expecting him to do and accomplish.

I've really come to appreciate Gardner this yr. What an amazing at bat in the 9th. Didi has been clutch as hell, wild card game with the 3 run shot, and now 2 homers against the likely AL Cy Young winner. Robertson has been spectacular. CC with 9 K's in only 4.1 IP. Hicks with a damn impressive bounce back season. I for sure was NOT a fan of Hicks the last couple seasons, and ive now become one of his biggest supporters. Love to eat crow.

And all of this while Judge with not making much of an impact this series. This team is deep and impressive. And then next year we get Gleyber and likely improved Clint Frazier. Lets go!
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,706

Post#6426 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:12 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:So let's revisit this question, do you still want to fire Girardi?

I thought it was stupid that they wanted him fired for his mistake.

People don't think....when has he done something that cost his team a championship or ended a playoff run that they were chosen to win/go all the way? Even the mighty saint Joe Torre has a number of those under his belt.

The other thing, the Yankees are a moneyball team, very into analytics like most of MLB. Managers these days aren't really managing by gut like the old days, but by numbers, and they go by the numbers the stats guys give him after running it through to the higher ups, it's why Joe is called Binder Joe...he doesn't deviate from the script....so who are we going to replace him with? A guy who's going to tell the higher ups no and just manage as he wishes? But that's not what the Yankees want, so this talk about Joe being fired was just media bull imo....it was a story and they know angry Yankee fans will click any fire Joe Girardi news link.

I love Joe, I hope he gets to taste a World Series victory as the Yankees skipper for all the seasons he's put in into this team. When he told the media how he explained to his kids that he's GOING TO GET boos before game 3 because of the mistake he made? True New Yorker and Yankee.
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#6427 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Never did. He's a good manager who made a big mistake. Reason why the bullpen is doing so well is directly because he manages them so meticulously in the regular season.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#6428 » by xNewYorkMadex » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:26 pm

And one last thing, I KEPT thinking about the sign in game 1 some Indians fan put up a few times.

It basically trolled the Yankees by mentioning how we were the #1 collapse in all of sports after the '04 ALCS. I kept thinking, well we may be #1, but Cleveland is a close 2nd. They had a 3-1 lead against the Cubs, and it was in the World Series. To top it off, they had a 2-0 lead, and now choke again. That fan can take several seats.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#6429 » by F N 11 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:43 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
That trade for Robertson and Kahnle looking pretty good right about now. Oh, and Todd Frazier too, I guess.

Don't say I guess because they got him as one of the top rally locker room voices/leaders. After hearing him talk I was like holy chit he got that enthusiasm.

I said that because a lot of people seem to hate getting Todd Frazier, sort of ignoring that Holiday was still hurt, Headley hadn't started hitting again and Bird hadn't come back.

I liked the move. Not sure I'd retain him, but maybe as Holiday isn't coming back no doubt.

He's one of those yankees by heart guys. Average sucks but he gives you everything else.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#6430 » by j4remi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm

That series had the sort of "magic" moments I recall from the dynasty teams. I never felt that with the teams afterward, even the good ones. I felt like the "ghosts of October" were gone since we'd changed stadiums (again this is in spite of plenty of success). But last night when Didi hit the second homerun, I got THAT feeling. Then Robertson got the double-play and it was back. Then Gardner's at bat again. We weren't even home and I still felt the old yankee stadium magic, I hope it keeps up...feels like the Astros are a bad match-up.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
SH0KASE
Junior
And1: 434

Post#6431 » by SH0KASE » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Even though I am a mets fan, I still root for the yankees so lets go! I would never root for the jets, nets or islanders but baseball i have no problem rooting for both squads.
F N 11
RealGM

Post#6432 » by F N 11 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:57 pm

We gave up Shane Green for Didi, SHANE GREEN!! Yankees front office has done a great job man. Whats crazy is Clint Frazier and Gleyber can be up full time next year and make us even younger and faster. Plus we have some money to do damage.

If we dont bring back CC I hope he works for us somehow. Its hard to give up Tanaka too. these guys are the heart.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#6433 » by blue and orange » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:00 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:And one last thing, I KEPT thinking about the sign in game 1 some Indians fan put up a few times.

It basically trolled the Yankees by mentioning how we were the #1 collapse in all of sports after the '04 ALCS. I kept thinking, well we may be #1, but Cleveland is a close 2nd. They had a 3-1 lead against the Cubs, and it was in the World Series. To top it off, they had a 2-0 lead, and now choke again. That fan can take several seats.

http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/2017-alds-indians-vs-yankees.48357/page-29

Check out this thread its pure gold.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#6434 » by blue and orange » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 pm

j4remi wrote:That series had the sort of "magic" moments I recall from the dynasty teams. I never felt that with the teams afterward, even the good ones. I felt like the "ghosts of October" were gone since we'd changed stadiums (again this is in spite of plenty of success). But last night when Didi hit the second homerun, I got THAT feeling. Then Robertson got the double-play and it was back. Then Gardner's at bat again. We weren't even home and I still felt the old yankee stadium magic, I hope it keeps up...feels like the Astros are a bad match-up.

I think the 5th inning was the game Indians had a ton of momentum,then DROB came in and that that DP on 2 pitches to to keep the lead and stall any momentum from the Indians, from then on it felt an uphill climb for the Indians going against the Yankees pen. An early lead was very crucial last night. Astros will be tough for sure well see what happens gotta split in Houston, you do that then you have 3 games in Yankee Stadium.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#6435 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:31 pm

Frazier reminds me of Nick Swisher same fun personality. He's been big in the clubhouse.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#6436 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:Man what a fun team to root for.

I am very happy for Joe. Even after the colossal failure in game 2, I was on record for not wanting to dismiss him as manager. I've always liked and supported Joe. Wouldve been a shame if he was let go if we lost that series. Just real glad the team came together for him and each other.

Chapman has stepped it up big time. Hes another one ive supported even through his rough moments during the season. The demotion was valid and necessary, but he rose to the occasion and is now pulling multi innings saves. Something I was not expecting him to do and accomplish.

I've really come to appreciate Gardner this yr. What an amazing at bat in the 9th. Didi has been clutch as hell, wild card game with the 3 run shot, and now 2 homers against the likely AL Cy Young winner. Robertson has been spectacular. CC with 9 K's in only 4.1 IP. Hicks with a damn impressive bounce back season. I for sure was NOT a fan of Hicks the last couple seasons, and ive now become one of his biggest supporters. Love to eat crow.

And all of this while Judge with not making much of an impact this series. This team is deep and impressive. And then next year we get Gleyber and likely improved Clint Frazier. Lets go!

If you look at the totality of the year Girardi has done a heck of a job. Perhaps his finest work. It's crazy how close he came to being fired
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
F N 11
RealGM

Post#6437 » by F N 11 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Anybody else realize Tanaka is always drinking a Budweiser during champagne celebrations lmao.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#6438 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:50 pm

You guys should be kissing Masahiro Tanaka's azz. He turned the series around all by himself and gave you guys life.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#6439 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm

K P 6 wrote:Anybody else realize Tanaka is always drinking a Budweiser during champagne celebrations lmao.

Dude loves his bud I guess.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,570

Post#6440 » by Buttah304 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:You guys should be kissing Masahiro Tanaka's azz. He turned the series around all by himself and gave you guys life.

I will never forget Tanakas performance, Severinos attitude driven bounce back and CC striking out 9 when we needed him most.

It's Sonny's turn to step up. No walks, stop getting into 3-1 counts. He needs to pound the strike zone and work efficiently. I truly hope he brings it next series.

Return to New York Knicks