ImageImageImageImageImage

Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#81 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:Shumpert shouldn't be in the league at all at this point. I've never seen a player regress below his rookie season before.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,530

Post#82 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
blueNorange wrote:1. he got banned from college campus
2. he called the girl and apologized for what he did, saying it's not right. nobody should go through what she did and he doesn't wish it on his own mother/sister
3. he put himself in anger management classes
4. the other student is pretty much black balled from the nba because he raped another girl when he transferred to another college.

Seems pretty clear from what I've read that he did something out of consensual bounds to that woman. Don't 2&3 suggest he's aware of it and taking steps to take responsibility and move on? I've had female partners women do things to me that would be considered sexual assault (and has been called such by therapists). I wish they would have called me and granted me half the respect he did there. The woman dropped it and while the other player involved has shown a serial pattern in the behavior there is nothing to suggest Dotson has. We have a player that **** up, bigtime. We can acknowledge that and move on ourselves.

Further, I don't see the point of bringing all this up in a thread evaluating his basketball ability other than to derail and rile people up.

the point i'm getting to is, the public has no idea who dotson is ... the more recognition he gets, the more his ugly past comes back to haunt him.

you don't just rape someone and live the rest of your life normal, it'll alway come back again.

So we do what? Yell at him on a message board and don't acknowledge any other factor of his life? Shame him in public? I don't think that's particularly constructive and could potentially be counterproductive.

The question I would have is whether he will be required to attend DV counseling per NBA policy. That would be appropriate, imo.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,916

Post#83 » by blueNorange » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:17 pm

reub wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Seems pretty clear from what I've read that he did something out of consensual bounds to that woman. Don't 2&3 suggest he's aware of it and taking steps to take responsibility and move on? I've had female partners women do things to me that would be considered sexual assault (and has been called such by therapists). I wish they would have called me and granted me half the respect he did there. The woman dropped it and while the other player involved has shown a serial pattern in the behavior there is nothing to suggest Dotson has. We have a player that **** up, bigtime. We can acknowledge that and move on ourselves.

Further, I don't see the point of bringing all this up in a thread evaluating his basketball ability other than to derail and rile people up.

the point i'm getting to is, the public has no idea who dotson is ... the more recognition he gets, the more his ugly past comes back to haunt him.

you don't just rape someone and live the rest of your life normal, it'll alway come back again.

What about your ugly present?

my life is pretty chill, i'm at the 2 yard line atm.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#84 » by camillepd » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Ok, he's another Harvey Weinstein, ok?
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,093

Post#85 » by Tron Carter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 pm

blueNorange wrote:the only player you can compare dotson to is other players that raped a drunk girl.

so derrick rose?

this shtick isn't funny
R.I.P Black Mamba
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,093

Post#86 » by Tron Carter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 pm

Capn'O wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

So we do what? Yell at him on a message board and don't acknowledge any other factor of his life? Shame him in public? I don't think that's particularly constructive and could potentially be counterproductive.

The question I would have is whether he will be required to attend DV counseling per NBA policy. That would be appropriate, imo.

c'mon cap, you know he's just being a dick and trolling.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Ntili-killa
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#87 » by Ntili-killa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:28 am

blueNorange wrote:
camillepd wrote:
blueNorange wrote:the only player you can compare dotson to is other players that raped a drunk girl.

so derrick rose?

So you have going him guilty even though he was never charged with anything. Nice.

sure he was never charged but there was enough evidence that

1. he got banned from college campus
2. he called the girl and apologized for what he did, saying it's not right. nobody should go through what she did and he doesn't wish it on his own mother/sister
4. the other student is pretty much black balled from the nba because he raped another girl when he transferred to another college.

open your eyes, men not being charged is part of the problem. they always get away with it. harvey weinstein made a career getting away with it, same with bill cosby. that dude from game of thrones is under heat because he said it's cool playing a guy that rapes beautiful women on the show"

Quite a few good points here. Dots needs to be on a community watchlist at a minimum, in jail as a maximum. Depends on how egregious his crime was. We don't know how bad it was but we do know he is guilty through his actions which followed.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#88 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 am

Ntili-killa wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
camillepd wrote:So you have going him guilty even though he was never charged with anything. Nice.

open your eyes, men not being charged is part of the problem. they always get away with it. harvey weinstein made a career getting away with it, same with bill cosby. that dude from game of thrones is under heat because he said it's cool playing a guy that rapes beautiful women on the show"

Quite a few good points here. Dots needs to be on a community watchlist at a minimum, in jail as a maximum. Depends on how egregious his crime was. We don't know how bad it was but we do know he is guilty through his actions which followed.

Hello, Kampuchea. Couldn't wait another hour until the 12 hours were up, huh?
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#89 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 am

Ntili-killa wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
camillepd wrote:So you have going him guilty even though he was never charged with anything. Nice.

No we don’t lol we know very little about the case. To condemn him is obviously a stupid rush to judgement, but knock yourself out.
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#90 » by camillepd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:36 am

Those without sin, cast the first stone.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Post#91 » by Kampuchea » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:05 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:Sucks to know he's like Shumpert, was hoping he had a higher offense ceiling. Maybe he gets dropped for Burke

He absolutely has a higher offensive ceiling and i'm pretty sure when that comparison was made they were only thinking about the defensive side of the ball cause the kid already has a great stroke from 3 point land which Shump can only dream of.

Exactly, the comparison is just way off. I like the Danny Green someone threw out better.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Post#92 » by Kampuchea » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:Hello, Kampuchea. Couldn't wait another hour until the 12 hours were up, huh?

Just realized my time is still set for Cambodia on this site. I moved out of Cambodia to USA but never updated the time setting on this site, I was wondering why I was blocked until 1AM. :banghead:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#93 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:35 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20988465/most-underrated-nba-rookies-season-future

Dotson getting more props as a sleeper rookie for the season in this ESPN Insider article...

Damyean Dotson | New York Knicks | SG

Player type: 3-and-D off-guard | Pick: No. 44

Dotson emerged as a popular sleeper prospect among scouts and executives after winning Portsmouth Invitational Tournament MVP and impressing throughout the pre-draft process. The University of Houston standout answered lingering questions about his dismissal from Oregon in team interviews and eventually signed a three-year guaranteed deal with the Knicks.

Last season, Dotson made more 3s than any 2017 draftee (108) and did so at an impressive 44.3 percent clip. He shoots off movement, has excellent rise on his jumper, flashes good athleticism in space, rebounds his position and makes basic reads out of ball screens. Standing 6-foot-5½ with a 6-foot-9 wingspan, a solid frame and great feet, Dotson can guard both point guards and shooting guards adequately, which allows him to fit in a variety of lineups. Tim Hardaway Jr. (and his $71 million deal) will eat up minutes at the 2 -- and Dotson is a bit redundant to Courtney Lee -- but the rookie guard brings young legs, defensive toughness and proven shot-making to a Knicks franchise that could use more young pieces to get excited about.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
knuckles862
Analyst
And1: 2,571

Post#94 » by knuckles862 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:59 pm

If he plays D like shumpert without the stupid reach ins at the near end of the possession I’ll be happy.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,116

Post#95 » by Fat Kat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,188

Post#96 » by mpharris36 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

outside of being super impressed with dotson the only slight negative I see in his game is he does have a "slower" release. But I don't really see that being too big of an issue outside of having people close out on him quickly before getting the shot off. But he seems to be a good enough shooter to overcome that.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Re: RE: Re: Dotson recognized for his defense, comparisons to Shump 

Post#97 » by seren » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:23 pm

Capn'O wrote:
blueNorange wrote:1. he got banned from college campus

Seems pretty clear from what I've read that he did something out of consensual bounds to that woman. At the very least. Don't 2&3 suggest he's aware of it and taking steps to take responsibility and move on? I've had female partners do things to me that would be considered sexual assault (and have been called such by therapists). I wish they would have called me and granted me half the respect he did there. The woman dropped it and while the other player involved has shown a serial pattern in the behavior there is nothing to suggest Dotson has. We have a player that **** up, bigtime. We can acknowledge that and move on ourselves.

I read the police report right after seeing this thread. People need to get their facts straight. He DID NOT call her. The woman, at the suggestion of the police, called all three players involved in order to get confession. Dotson apologized when the woman said she didn't really want to sleep with three men. Dotson said he never had been in a situation like that before and apologized for that. Never admitted nor acknowledged the situation was anything but consensual. He didn't acknowledge that she was too drunk to consent either.

Believe him or not, but at least get the facts straight.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#98 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:59 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

outside of being super impressed with dotson the only slight negative I see in his game is he does have a "slower" release. But I don't really see that being too big of an issue outside of having people close out on him quickly before getting the shot off. But he seems to be a good enough shooter to overcome that.

Compared to that clip from what I've seen he shoots faster in-game to the point that a slower release in not a real issue with him. He doesn't compromise his form either. Looking at his natural shot it probably was an issue but it look like he's addressed it already.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#99 » by j4remi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:02 pm

I want a highlight reel of Dotson grabbing rebounds. Dude always jumps as hard as he can to get them, it's kinda funny when he's completely alone and still two foot gathering into a huge vertical for the rock.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#100 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Won't comment on the rape/assault thing because I don't know enough and it looks like the info that is out there is still murky. I'd advise people who don't know enough to do the same. Doubt this guy drops to us like he did if he didn't have that cloud over him.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,

Return to New York Knicks