ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,237

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#6441 » by Papi_swav » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:21 pm

I LOVE THIS FRIGGIN TEAM !!!!!
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#6442 » by EchelonNYK » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 pm

SH0KASE wrote:Even though I am a mets fan, I still root for the yankees so lets go! I would never root for the jets, nets or islanders but baseball i have no problem rooting for both squads.

Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#6443 » by Phish Tank » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Rich Rane wrote:You know what would've pissed me off? Yanks celebrating and Austin Jackson running to an empty first base on the dropped third strike.

just want to clarify that rule in case anyone was still worried about this:

MLB Rule 5.05 (6.09) When the Batter Becomes a Runner discusses this in length. I'm quoting the entire thing, but bolding the important points below:

5.05 (6.09) When the Batter Becomes a Runner:

(a) The batter becomes a runner when:
(1) He hits a fair ball;
Rule 5.05(a) Comment (Rule 2.00 (Ball) Comment): If the batter
hits a pitch that touches the ground first, the ensuing action
shall be the same as if he hit the ball in flight.
(2) The third strike called by the umpire is not caught, providing
(1) first base is unoccupied, or (2) first base is
occupied with two out;
Rule 5.05(a)(2) Comment (Rule 6.09(b) Comment): A batter
who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught,
and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be
declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home
plate.

The moment Jackson left the batters circle, Sanchez didn't need to tag him. He was automatically out. Now if Jackson actually ran, I'd bet that Sanchez would be aware of it by someone in the infield and he'd throw the ball to first.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,112

Post#6444 » by moocow007 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 pm

K P 6 wrote:We gave up Shane Green for Didi, SHANE GREEN!! Yankees front office has done a great job man. Whats crazy is Clint Frazier and Gleyber can be up full time next year and make us even younger and faster. Plus we have some money to do damage.

If we dont bring back CC I hope he works for us somehow. Its hard to give up Tanaka too. these guys are the heart.

Yeah that has to be one of the best trades the Yankees have ever made.
Rocket_Raccoon
Sophomore
And1: 103

Post#6445 » by Rocket_Raccoon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Buttah304 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:You guys should be kissing Masahiro Tanaka's azz. He turned the series around all by himself and gave you guys life.

I will never forget Tanakas performance, Severinos attitude driven bounce back and CC striking out 9 when we needed him most.

It's Sonny's turn to step up. No walks, stop getting into 3-1 counts. He needs to pound the strike zone and work efficiently. I truly hope he brings it next series.

I don't think we have a chance without Sonny pitching good games in the ALCS.
ag3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,406

Post#6446 » by ag3 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Rocket_Raccoon wrote:
Buttah304 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:You guys should be kissing Masahiro Tanaka's azz. He turned the series around all by himself and gave you guys life.

I will never forget Tanakas performance, Severinos attitude driven bounce back and CC striking out 9 when we needed him most.

It's Sonny's turn to step up. No walks, stop getting into 3-1 counts. He needs to pound the strike zone and work efficiently. I truly hope he brings it next series.

I don't think we have a chance without Sonny pitching good games in the ALCS.

Astros pitching lineup (starters + bullpen) does not scare me at all.
They have great hitting, but so do the Yankees. Yankees have a much better bullpen.

Either team has equal chance to win, IMO.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#6447 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 pm

I can't say enough times how valuable CC Sabbathia is to the Yankees club house and I say that in respect to Didi, Gardner and the quiet professional Tanaka. CC may no longer be the guy he was back in 2009 where he could go 7-8 innings regularly but he's STILL an experienced big game pitcher. Guys feed off their teammate's energy and poise.

Poise is a something you cannot measure in a statistic but it's every thing in a TIGHT postseason game.

I don't want to get into who to bring back next season..yet. Yanks still got a lot of fighting to do, against one of the greatest offensive teams in MLB.

I'm wondering if Sonny Gray and the Yanks steal game 1. Next to Mike Mussina, Gray has been a hard luck loser, good enough to win not getting enough run support, and the wheel is bound to go round as it did against the Indians. I would prefer Tanaka pitch in Yankee stadium where he's nearly unbeatable but that would require Severino to pitch on 4 days rest and that's not going to happen. I think, the Yankees goal is to split in Houston..and then you have Severino and CC at Yankee stadium to take control.

But I can't emphasize enough the Astros' offense is one of the most efficient. Definitely going to be a dog fight.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,372
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#6448 » by BKlutch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:28 pm

NOBODY SHOULD FORGET THIS.

The New York Post recently wrote that Girardi might be fired or could quit because he failed to demand a replay in Game 2 of the ALDS. Look at this and consider that he managed a team of newbies to the ALCS (ALDS at the time) and has gotten the most out of almost all his players. Then look at how one reporter wrote that Cash and the Steinbrenners might fire him, or maybe he'd quit because of this.

Why should we read this shyt? Because it's really clear, with the Yankees, that this point of view is total shyt. But when they do the same thing to the Knicks, we forget this. DON'T FORGET THIS!

http://nypost.com/2017/10/08/would-joe-girardi-walk-away-even-if-yankees-spare-him/

Hal Steinbrenner and Brian Cashman aren’t the only people who will decide Joe Girardi’s future as Yankees manager.

There are four other voices Girardi needs to hear from before deciding if he wants to return, should Steinbrenner and Cashman want him back.

“I have always been a guy who sat down and talked to my family,’’ Girardi said before Game 3 of the ALDS on Sunday night against the Indians at Yankee Stadium, where the hosts were nine innings away from being swept into the offseason. “I owe that to my wife and my children. That’s the least of my concerns. My biggest concern is to win a game today and we can worry about that when the time comes. We talk about what’s best for the group of five. Obviously, in my life, my family always comes first.’’

Before signing a four-year extension worth $16 million after the 2013 season, Girardi sat with his family to hear what his wife, Kim, and three children — Serena, Dante and Lena — thought.

They gave him their blessing then and will have another summit, possibly as soon as Monday if the Yankees lose Sunday night.

Asked about the level of enjoyment in his 10th season in the manager’s chair during a year the Yankees won 91 games and chased the Red Sox to the last weekend of the season in the AL East race, Girardi said it was high until the sixth inning of Game 2.

“Until Friday, probably pretty good,’’ said Girardi, who admitted he screwed up the challenge process in Game 2 that played a big part in a crushing 9-8 loss in 13 innings.

Of course, Girardi has to be asked back by Steinbrenner, who has been a longtime supporter, and Cashman, who is without a contract for next year himself but expected back.

Girardi’s entire coaching staff is not signed beyond this season, so there is more than his future dancing in the wind.

With Girardi considered the devil in pinstripes by many Yankees fans for his Game 2 blunder that ricocheted through every office of the organization, his job security jumped to the forefront.

“An organization has to do what they are comfortable with,’’ said Girardi, whose 910-710 record in those 10 seasons is the best in the majors. “And it may not always agree with the person being fired or however it goes, but that is Hal’s and Brian’s decision and whatever their decision is, I will live with it.’’

So, if Girardi walks or isn’t invited back, who would take over? It’s a question that is difficult to answer because not one of the other 29 major league jobs compares to the Yankees. Outside of possibly Jay Bell, who managed Single-A Tampa this past year and has big-league experience as a bench coach with the Reds and hitting coach with the Pirates, a hire from the minor-league system isn’t likely.

With the Yankees heavily invested in analytics, the next manager would have to be in tune with that department, which carries a lot of weight in the organization. Bench coach Rob Thomson, who has been a part of the big-league coaching staff for 10 years, should draw some attention. First-base coach Tony Pena has managerial experience with the Royals, but he wasn’t hired when Girardi replaced Joe Torre after the 2007 season.

As for Girardi doing something else besides managing the Yankees, he wasn’t sure what it would be.

“I don’t know. I think there are some dream jobs that I will never get to do. I think it would be fun to be in different positions in the game,’’ Girardi said. “I don’t really know, that’s why it’s important to talk to my family and know what they are thinking. I really enjoy managing, I enjoy the competition, I enjoy the relationships and I enjoy watching people have success. But again, [family] makes a lot of sacrifices so I can do this, and that is why I need to talk to them.’’

Girardi refused to divulge what other positions in the game would appeal to him, but he was very clear there are other voices in the mix besides those belonging to Steinbrenner and Cashman.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#6449 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Managing the Yankees is the equivalent of wearing a red shirt on Star Trek or becoming the instructor for the defense against the dark arts. It rarely ends well.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,372
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#6450 » by BKlutch » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Managing the Yankees is the equivalent of wearing a red shirt on Star Trek or becoming the instructor for the defense against the dark arts. It rarely ends well.

And sometimes, it doesn't end well more than once.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#6451 » by Polk377 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:32 pm

What do the Yankees do with the rotation in this series? Gray is fully rested, Tanaka would be on regular rest and Severino would be on 4 days rest come tomorrow. Gray would seem like a sure bet to start game 1 but the Yankees just dont score runs behind him. Tanaka is coming off a great start but can he do it on the road or should they save him for game 3 in NY? Severino bounced back strong in his last start but do you start the series with him on 4 days rest and put that pressure on him? The Yankees have to steal one of the first 2 in Houston. I would probably go Gray game 1, Severino game 2, Tanaka game 3 and CC game 4.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,208

Post#6452 » by Kampuchea » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:23 am

Stop Mets fans jumping on the wagon. Go enjoy your offseason ;)
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#6453 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 am

Looks like Joe is going Tanaka, Severino, CC, and Gray. Definitely an interesting choice.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,208

Post#6454 » by Kampuchea » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:51 am

Joe is going back to fired again. Or he's a genius.
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Re: RE: Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#6455 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:55 am

Papi_swav wrote:I LOVE THIS FRIGGIN TEAM !!!!!

dreaming someday we will be saying this about our Knicks
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,281

Post#6456 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 pm

BKlutch wrote:NOBODY SHOULD FORGET THIS.

The New York Post recently wrote that Girardi might be fired or could quit because he failed to demand a replay in Game 2 of the ALDS. Look at this and consider that he managed a team of newbies to the ALCS (ALDS at the time) and has gotten the most out of almost all his players. Then look at how one reporter wrote that Cash and the Steinbrenners might fire him, or maybe he'd quit because of this.

Why should we read this shyt? Because it's really clear, with the Yankees, that this point of view is total shyt. But when they do the same thing to the Knicks, we forget this. DON'T FORGET THIS!

http://nypost.com/2017/10/08/would-joe-girardi-walk-away-even-if-yankees-spare-him/

Hal Steinbrenner and Brian Cashman aren’t the only people who will decide Joe Girardi’s future as Yankees manager.

There are four other voices Girardi needs to hear from before deciding if he wants to return, should Steinbrenner and Cashman want him back.

“I have always been a guy who sat down and talked to my family,’’ Girardi said before Game 3 of the ALDS on Sunday night against the Indians at Yankee Stadium, where the hosts were nine innings away from being swept into the offseason. “I owe that to my wife and my children. That’s the least of my concerns. My biggest concern is to win a game today and we can worry about that when the time comes. We talk about what’s best for the group of five. Obviously, in my life, my family always comes first.’’

Before signing a four-year extension worth $16 million after the 2013 season, Girardi sat with his family to hear what his wife, Kim, and three children — Serena, Dante and Lena — thought.

They gave him their blessing then and will have another summit, possibly as soon as Monday if the Yankees lose Sunday night.

Asked about the level of enjoyment in his 10th season in the manager’s chair during a year the Yankees won 91 games and chased the Red Sox to the last weekend of the season in the AL East race, Girardi said it was high until the sixth inning of Game 2.

“Until Friday, probably pretty good,’’ said Girardi, who admitted he screwed up the challenge process in Game 2 that played a big part in a crushing 9-8 loss in 13 innings.

Of course, Girardi has to be asked back by Steinbrenner, who has been a longtime supporter, and Cashman, who is without a contract for next year himself but expected back.

Girardi’s entire coaching staff is not signed beyond this season, so there is more than his future dancing in the wind.

With Girardi considered the devil in pinstripes by many Yankees fans for his Game 2 blunder that ricocheted through every office of the organization, his job security jumped to the forefront.

“An organization has to do what they are comfortable with,’’ said Girardi, whose 910-710 record in those 10 seasons is the best in the majors. “And it may not always agree with the person being fired or however it goes, but that is Hal’s and Brian’s decision and whatever their decision is, I will live with it.’’

So, if Girardi walks or isn’t invited back, who would take over? It’s a question that is difficult to answer because not one of the other 29 major league jobs compares to the Yankees. Outside of possibly Jay Bell, who managed Single-A Tampa this past year and has big-league experience as a bench coach with the Reds and hitting coach with the Pirates, a hire from the minor-league system isn’t likely.

With the Yankees heavily invested in analytics, the next manager would have to be in tune with that department, which carries a lot of weight in the organization. Bench coach Rob Thomson, who has been a part of the big-league coaching staff for 10 years, should draw some attention. First-base coach Tony Pena has managerial experience with the Royals, but he wasn’t hired when Girardi replaced Joe Torre after the 2007 season.

As for Girardi doing something else besides managing the Yankees, he wasn’t sure what it would be.

“I don’t know. I think there are some dream jobs that I will never get to do. I think it would be fun to be in different positions in the game,’’ Girardi said. “I don’t really know, that’s why it’s important to talk to my family and know what they are thinking. I really enjoy managing, I enjoy the competition, I enjoy the relationships and I enjoy watching people have success. But again, [family] makes a lot of sacrifices so I can do this, and that is why I need to talk to them.’’

Girardi refused to divulge what other positions in the game would appeal to him, but he was very clear there are other voices in the mix besides those belonging to Steinbrenner and Cashman.

Sherman writes the "Go Yanks!" pieces for the NYPost, King writes the "Yanks s*ck" pieces for the post. Generally speaking.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#6457 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Bryce Harper just started counting down the days till Free Agency when he can pack his bags for NYC.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#6458 » by Red Vines » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:41 pm

After the Twins win I thought the team looked hungover, hopefully they come out more prepared for Game 1, nobody is sleeping on them.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6459 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Managing the Yankees is the equivalent of wearing a red shirt on Star Trek or becoming the instructor for the defense against the dark arts. It rarely ends well.

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#6460 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:48 pm

tuna108 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I LOVE THIS FRIGGIN TEAM !!!!!

dreaming someday we will be saying this about our Knicks

Knicks fans waiting for that day

Return to New York Knicks