Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Re: 2017 Training Camp Thread 

Post#241 » by TheBabyMaker » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:31 am

NatP4 wrote:
JAson smith got roasted on defense

They all got roasted on defense. Giving up 16 threes to only 7, not going to win many games like that.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#242 » by Rafael122 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:36 pm

To me it seems like the bench has a nice combination of offense (Frazier, Meeks, Scott) and defense (Oubre, Mahinmi). Once Morris comes back, I'd argue Smith is the odd man out.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#243 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm

Smith will be useful for us throughout the regular season. Certain teams will be a bad matchup for him defensivey , especially very quick teams that play small (like this Heat team) but he will definitely have his moments.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#244 » by queridiculo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Boggles the mind that we've emerged out of this offseason without a real backup option at the four.

Smith has value, but to me more so as a center than as power forward. He's just a bad fit defensively at that position and he'll continue to hurt the Wizards for as long as he's forced into that role

That said, I'm expecting Brooks to start Smith, but Porter and Scott will get an opportunity at PF which will hopefully help us stop the bleeding some.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Training Camp Thread 

Post#245 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Rafael122 wrote:To me it seems like the bench has a nice combination of offense (Frazier, Meeks, Scott) and defense (Oubre, Mahinmi). Once Morris comes back, I'd argue Smith is the odd man out.

No, Brooks will play Smith and Mahinmi. Gortat is the one he will play less IMO.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#246 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm

queridiculo wrote:Boggles the mind that we've emerged out of this offseason without a real backup option at the four.

Smith has value, but to me more so as a center than as power forward. He's just a bad fit defensively at that position and he'll continue to hurt the Wizards for as long as he's forced into that role

That said, I'm expecting Brooks to start Smith, but Porter and Smith will get an opportunity at PF which will hopefully help us stop the bleeding some.

I expect he will start Smith and will look no further than Mike Scott, until Morris comes back.

Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#247 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:To me it seems like the bench has a nice combination of offense (Frazier, Meeks, Scott) and defense (Oubre, Mahinmi). Once Morris comes back, I'd argue Smith is the odd man out.

No, Brooks will play Smith and Mahinmi. Gortat is the one he will play less IMO.

Could be - as the NBA goes more and more away from the traditional center. But Gortat's so effective at setting screens and working with Wall and rebounding - I think he's gonna play a lot.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#248 » by 80sballboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Could be - as the NBA goes more and more away from the traditional center. But Gortat's so effective at setting screens and working with Wall and rebounding - I think he's gonna play a lot.

Gortat should play less in some situations, assuming Mahinmi is healthy and productive. But he played 24 minutes in a meaningless preseason game last night. Maybe when Morris is healthy, they'll go back to more small ball.They can't really do that with 6-8 Mike Scott.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#249 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Something about Mike Scott's body language that seem like a turnoff watching him in the exhibition games. He looks angry for no apparent reason, and he's not exactly looking to pass... or do anything other than shoot.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#250 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 pm

queridiculo wrote:Boggles the mind that we've emerged out of this offseason without a real backup option at the four.

That said, I'm expecting Brooks to start Smith, but Porter and Scott will get an opportunity at PF which will hopefully help us stop the bleeding some.

It doesn't surprise me at all. Good players cost money. We are over the luxtax since resigning Porter. Guys like Mike Scott are the best we can hope for unless Ted is willing to pay double.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#251 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:46 pm

nate33 wrote:

It doesn't surprise me at all. Good players cost money. We are over the luxtax since resigning Porter. Guys like Mike Scott are the best we can hope for unless Ted is willing to pay double.

I'd have preferred Jeff Green... although perhaps that's exactly what you meant by "guys like Mike Scott."
In Rizzo we trust
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#252 » by 80sballboy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Ruzious wrote:Something about Mike Scott's body language that seem like a turnoff watching him in the exhibition games. He looks angry for no apparent reason, and he's not exactly looking to pass... or do anything other than shoot.

Did not get that feeling from him about body language. The anger thing is fine because I have nothing against toughness at the PF spot. We miss that when Kieff is out. If you have an open shot, shoot it. To me, Oubre is much more of a gunner than Scott because he's always looking to shoot, even when he's bringing the ball up the court. How both will manage to play together on the floor will be interesting. Then you'll have three gunners if you add Meeks and Frazier's job will be to get them the ball.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#253 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:32 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Something about Mike Scott's body language that seem like a turnoff watching him in the exhibition games. He looks angry for no apparent reason, and he's not exactly looking to pass... or do anything other than shoot.

Did not get that feeling from him about body language. The anger thing is fine because I have nothing against toughness at the PF spot. We miss that when Kieff is out. If you have an open shot, shoot it. To me, Oubre is much more of a gunner than Scott because he's always looking to shoot, even when he's bringing the ball up the court. How both will manage to play together on the floor will be interesting. Then you'll have three gunners if you add Meeks and Frazier's job will be to get them the ball.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong on Scott and the body language thing. I want him to be a lot better than I think he is. One thing I don't want to see is fake toughness - ie Etan Thomas - though Etan does legit scare little old white ladies on trains. Sorry, I was over-due for an Etan insult.

Of the 3, I'd much rather watch Meeks gun. Dude can flat out shoot. Agreed - Oubre's game would be potentially much better if he'd look to pass on occasion.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#254 » by NatP4 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Why does Brooks just get a pass for starting a lineup that was outscored by double digits per 100 possessions last season(featuring a below replacement level scrub and a prehistoric two immobile bigs strategy) as opposed to a lineup that outscored opponents by 17.5 points per 100 possessions(featuring more core players, and a strategy that plays to the strengths of all of the core players)?

There is literally a 40 point swing between these two lineups. This isn’t some small thing, this is completely idiotic
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#255 » by 80sballboy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:36 pm

So much for the "Ochefu will be playing in Europe" comment. I know, they will cut him again but I guess Ainge thinks he might be worth taking a long-term shot on. Maybe he sees something we don't.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/celtics-daniel-ochefu-signs-with-celtics/
RealGM

Post#256 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:20 pm

NatP4 wrote:Why does Brooks just get a pass for starting a lineup that was outscored by double digits per 100 possessions last season(featuring a below replacement level scrub and a prehistoric two immobile bigs strategy) as opposed to a lineup that outscored opponents by 17.5 points per 100 possessions(featuring more core players, and a strategy that plays to the strengths of all of the core players)?

There is literally a 40 point swing between these two lineups. This isn’t some small thing, this is completely idiotic

I'm not going to change my signature. I think Brooks coached monumentally stupidly against Boston in the playoffs.

He gets no pass from me.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#257 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 pm

80sballboy wrote:So much for the "Ochefu will be playing in Europe" comment. I know, they will cut him again but I guess Ainge thinks he might be worth taking a long-term shot on. Maybe he sees something we don't.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/celtics-daniel-ochefu-signs-with-celtics/

I liked Ochefu at Villanova. I won't be surprised if he has a serviceable NBA career.

Bye bye Beal.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#258 » by DCZards » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:I hope you're right and I'm wrong on Scott and the body language thing. I want him to be a lot better than I think he is. One thing I don't want to see is fake toughness - ie Etan Thomas - though Etan does legit scare little old white ladies on trains. Sorry, I was over-due for an Etan insult.

Of the 3, I'd much rather watch Meeks gun. Dude can flat out shoot. Agreed - Oubre's game would be potentially much better if he'd look to pass on occasion.

Hey, ease up on Etan. The dude is one of the most conscious and progressive people in sports. I see Etan at a lot of Zards games with 6-7 youngsters that he appears to be mentoring. I wish there were more athletes like him.

Sorry, had to get in my shout out to Etan for the great things he's doing in the DC community and elsewhere. :)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#259 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:10 pm

DCZards wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I hope you're right and I'm wrong on Scott and the body language thing. I want him to be a lot better than I think he is. One thing I don't want to see is fake toughness - ie Etan Thomas - though Etan does legit scare little old white ladies on trains. Sorry, I was over-due for an Etan insult.

Hey, ease up on Etan. The dude is one of the most conscious and progressive people in sports. I see Etan at a lot of Zards games with 6-7 youngsters that he appears to be mentoring. I wish there were more athletes like him.

Sorry, had to get in my shout out to Etan for the great things he's doing in the DC community and elsewhere. :)

Hopefully, he's not turning them into phony tough guys. :wink: It might not show, but I'm not a fan of his.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#260 » by 80sballboy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Frazier gets start for Wall, who is resting. Smith and Gortat not exactly a very good pair on defense or on the boards.

Return to Washington Wizards