Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA : 2017/18 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Re: Around the NBA : Off season edition 

Post#1361 » by MGB8 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Mark K wrote:
Hangtime84 wrote:Embiid is such a monster. I regally hope he stays healthy.

Right now Simmons isn't much of an impact

He's already one of the best creators for others in the entire league.

Let's see him play a regular season game first, before talking about how he's among the best at anything in the league.

Honestly, I'm a Simmons skeptic. He's a nice passer, but not necessarily that disciplined and I could see him turning the ball over lots, not making many of the passes we've seen, when facing NBA level pressure from opposing SFs (I think he'll generally be guarded by 3's - he doesn't have so much power to need a bigger guy guarding him, especially with a weak shot - and so you want to mitigate his quickness).

He's a great athlete and an excellent passer and ball handler for his size - but his size means that he doesn't have the short area quickness to "get wherever he wants with the ball" - especially without a credible outside shot. Maybe I'm wrong, but right now, I see Simmons as very over-hyped.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,321

Post#1362 » by Stratmaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:11 pm

All I know is I am really looking forward to seeing Thibs screaming at the court during whatever minutes the T-wolves lineup of Aaron Brooks, Jamal Crawford, Jimmy Butler, Taj Gibson and Shabazz Muhammad play. I might just shed a single bittersweet tear.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#1363 » by Stratmaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:16 pm

ArizonaBullsFan wrote:
Mark K wrote:Posted without comment, as none are needed as it's obvious at this point.

Read on Twitter

Yes, obviously, it's hypocritical for Chicago Bulls fans to praise a non-Chicago Bull for playing well in the 4th quarter of a meaningless preseason game while poo-pooing any Bull who plays well because-

It's the preseason, teams aren't trying

It's the 4th quarter of a preseason blowout, teams really, really aren't trying

Nobody plays defense in the preseason

Yada, yada, yada

Maybe Bell can join Portis on the all-NBA garbage time roster!
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#1364 » by Stratmaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Mark K wrote:
ArizonaBullsFan wrote:Yes, obviously, it's hypocritical for Chicago Bulls fans to praise a non-Chicago Bull for playing well in the 4th quarter of a meaningless preseason game while poo-pooing any Bull who plays well because-

It's the preseason, teams aren't trying

It's the 4th quarter of a preseason blowout, teams really, really aren't trying

Nobody plays defense in the preseason

Yada, yada, yada

I always enjoy when someone tries to shoot the Bell thing down. It's amusing. It should be a subject that is universally resented by every Bulls fan.

Didn't we go gaga yesterday when Markkanen was dropping points yesterday against the Cavs second unit? That's different, though, right?

Well hopefully we can agree on this one. There is no way anyone should be making future projections on either Bell or Markk based on these preseason games.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#1365 » by Hangtime84 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm

MGB8 wrote:
Mark K wrote:
Hangtime84 wrote:Embiid is such a monster. I regally hope he stays healthy.

Right now Simmons isn't much of an impact

Let's see him play a regular season game first, before talking about how he's among the best at anything in the league.

Honestly, I'm a Simmons skeptic. He's a nice passer, but not necessarily that disciplined and I could see him turning the ball over lots, not making many of the passes we've seen, when facing NBA level pressure from opposing SFs (I think he'll generally be guarded by 3's - he doesn't have so much power to need a bigger guy guarding him, especially with a weak shot - and so you want to mitigate his quickness).

He's a great athlete and an excellent passer and ball handler for his size - but his size means that he doesn't have the short area quickness to "get wherever he wants with the ball" - especially without a credible outside shot. Maybe I'm wrong, but right now, I see Simmons as very over-hyped.

I watched 3 quarters before it became clearly unwatchable. Simmons was guarded by RHJ and problems getting past him and when he did very reluctant to shoot a easy floater....touchnarounf the rim needs improvement

Sixers did a lot sets where brings ball up passes to the wing. He goes straight to the post and he would typically playmake from there.

Simmons is at his best in transition in order to improve that side he gonna have to improve his motor and defensive awareness he looks real passive out there.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#1366 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:35 pm

Mark K wrote:Posted without comment, as none are needed as it's obvious at this point.

Read on Twitter

Our ownership group is such garbage. **** I hate our FO. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Chicagoat
Pro Prospect
And1: 979

Post#1367 » by Chicagoat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:
MGB8 wrote:
Mark K wrote:

I watched 3 quarters before it became clearly unwatchable. Simmons was guarded by RHJ and problems getting past him and when he did very reluctant to shoot a easy floater....touchnarounf the rim needs improvement

Sixers did a lot sets where brings ball up passes to the wing. He goes straight to the post and he would typically playmake from there.

Simmons is at his best in transition in order to improve that side he gonna have to improve his motor and defensive awareness he looks real passive out there.

To be fair RHJ is a great defender.
AKME? More like MEAK with how they're afraid to make a move to push us in one direction.

Continuity :banghead: :banghead:
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#1368 » by TheStig » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:24 pm

League Circles wrote:
TheStig wrote:
I also don't expect a PG to carry everything or even be the number 1. But having a very good PG in a perimeter based league is big.

Sure it's big. But getting a very good one is damn near impossible due to the competition at the spot, and a #7 pick who was what the 2nd or 3rd PG taken in this draft alone should by no means be projected to be a very good PG, which to me means like top 8 or so.

Why not? IT was the second to last player in a draft and he's an allstar.

DSJ had injury concerns. He'd be right up there if that didn't happen. He's got the talent and skill set to be good. Weather or not he is up to him.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#1369 » by Stratmaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Rerisen wrote:Not like there was much doubt, but now we know what LaVine will price himself at...

Andrew Wiggins Agrees Upon Five-Year, $146.5M Extension With Wolves

Yep! And over the next 2 seasons the T-wolves have 3 of those to deal with.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,220

Post#1370 » by Red8911 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:29 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Our ownership group is such garbage. **** I hate our FO. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You guys don’t even know if the bulls would even draft bell if they kept that pick. For all we know they sold the pick before second round began and golden state chose him. If bulls kept the pick maybe they would have selected someone else anyway since the 4-5 positions are already filled.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#1371 » by Stratmaster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:33 pm

dice wrote:
Flopper wrote:
League Circles wrote:I don't understand the last comment about wanting to know who had his back.

Pretty sure he's referring to the FO. Seems like he's trying to say that he did in fact recruit and wanted to keep it low key, but that the Bulls organization let the narrative play out that he wasn't involved in recruiting and used him as a scapegoat for their FA shortcomings. Seems about right for the way GarPax operates, but this story just seems weird and contradictory to earlier information. Guess I'll believe when I see the actual video or if Wade/Lebron confirm it.

it's weird he would think that when asked by the press whether he recruited that it was appropriate to lie. it's also weird to think that for any reason whatsoever the FO would NOT want the press to know that he was involved in recruiting. he was their up-and-coming star player, for god's sake. why would they want him to look bad?

I admired that he didn't seem to care much about recruiting. I sure wouldn't. gimme whatever team you're gonna give me and let's roll

Hah! Remember it is DRose saying this stuff now. The kid just isn't 100% solid emotionally right now. I am curious though. did the front office ever comment on whether Rose helped recruit? If so, I don't recall it.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#1372 » by kingkirk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 pm

MGB8 wrote:Let's see him play a regular season game first, before talking about how he's among the best at anything in the league.

You don't have to wait for the regular season to notice that he has the ability to put the ball in places very few guys can. He's an elite passer already. It's undeniable.

Simmons won't be guarded by small forwards. He's been playing the 4 with 3 wings around him and a center. If they a SF on him, he will go to the post and be a hub of the offense from there. If he stays at PF, he's a transition nightmare, particularly if he grabs the rebound, which is very good at doing.

The only thing to be sceptical about with Simmons is if you're expecting a 20 PPG scorer. His own offense isn't great, but that's not what makes him special, anyway.

He's averaging a near tripe double PER36 in preseason thus far. I think we're looking at the ROY.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,260

Post#1373 » by kodo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:52 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
“I’m unsure if I’m still on the team,” Okafor says now. “Am I really a part of this process? Am I really a part of this culture? That’s why the guys have been out there on social media, but I’ve just kind of been in the dark. I’ll go to a Sixers event, smile, take pictures with the kids and stuff like that, but I’m still thinking, ‘Am I a part of this team?’”

If he's at a price where we can simply take a flyer on him, I'd actually like him here.

What's scary is that Okafor isn't that bad for a #3 pick, I don't think you can even call him a bust.
#3 picks are guys like Jaylen Brown, Otto Porter, Enes Kanter, Derrick Favors.

It's frightening how little impact even a #3 pick can boost a team. I guess that's why tanking is a thing.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#1374 » by Hangtime84 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:18 am

Frank Mason Jr shouldn't have went 34 in the draft.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Post#1375 » by veji1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:10 pm

MGB8 wrote:

To some extent he is a bit like a young Boris Diaw, who was a great athlete and a fantastically gifted player roaming between PG and SF in his years in the french league and at his beginnings in the NBA but who started to blossom once he became a 4/5 in Phoenix where opposing SFs couldn't stay on him because the Suns had Nash, Bell and Marion raining 3s from outside forcing bulkier 4/5s to deal with him. Of course he got fatter and fatter and played more and more the "big lard with soft hands" role, but in terms of positionning the dilemmas are similar.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#1376 » by MGB8 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:
MGB8 wrote:
Mark K wrote:

Yup. Notwithstanding Mark saying that he'll just abuse SFs when they are put on him, I don't see it. He has a size advantage - but not either the post game or the consistent shot to really make smaller defenders pay. So while he can pass out of the post - so what - if he can't score and pass, then that is completely reliant on good ball movement shaking the defense.

And, as I mentioned before, some - maybe a good number - of the passes that he can make in summer league / pre-season are simply not going to be there playing against regular season defenses (much less playoff defenses).

His build is strong, but not Lebron strong... which means you can put a reasonably strong 3 - a Crowder, an RHJ, an MKG or Winslow, a Jimmy Butler, a DeMarre Carroll, an Ariza, a PJ Tucker, a Stephenson etc. on him. Playing him with a Saric (who can be covered by a 4) makes that easier.

If the Sixers "play him at the 4" (i.e. "1"-Bayless/Fultz, "2" Redick, "3" Covington/TLC, "4" Simmons, "5" Embiid/Amir/Okafor) that might help in that if a team has a traditional 4 who can't defend decently in space, that could be a problem - they might have to adjust their lineup from their preferred lineup.

Could also see playing Simmons at the 5 with Saric at the 4 against a team not running out a big center that could exploit Simmons in the post (and there aren't that many any more) and if the loss of interior defense isn't too bad. That would allow the Sixers to play very fast.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#1377 » by Leslie Forman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:26 pm

kodo wrote:What's scary is that Okafor isn't that bad for a #3 pick, I don't think you can even call him a bust.
#3 picks are guys like Jaylen Brown, Otto Porter, Enes Kanter, Derrick Favors.

It's frightening how little impact even a #3 pick can boost a team. I guess that's why tanking is a thing.

Of course he's a bust. He's terrible. RPM ain't everything, but he has been dead last among centers in it both seasons in the league.

He doesn't defend and his offensive game is garbage. And the thing is, it was all predictable too. I absolutely hated him as a draft prospect.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#1378 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Please take wade back.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#1379 » by FriedRise » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Dupp wrote:Please take wade back.