Embiid
16%

Total votes: 44

Andy123
Pro Prospect
And1: 312

Who is better Hakeem or Embiid 

Post#1 » by Andy123 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:32 am

Hakeem is first 3 years Hakeem vs 3rd year Embiid.
I enjoy contributing ideas in a discussion towatds a solution , not interested in debates or arguments.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,131

Re: Who is better Hakeem or Embiid 

Post#2 » by CodeBreaker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 am

LOL.

It's like comparing Lonzo Ball to Magic Johnson.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,123

Post#3 » by AdagioPace » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:51 am

Andy123 wrote:Hakeem is first 3 years Hakeem vs 3rd year Embiid.

3rd "year" :D
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#4 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Uh...I mean Embiid has been getting paid for 3 years, he sure as heck hasn't been playing for that long.

If the question is who is better at a younger age, then it is Embiid.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#5 » by eminence » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:17 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Uh...I mean Embiid has been getting paid for 3 years, he sure as heck hasn't been playing for that long.

??? Embiid last year was the same age as Hakeem's rookie season (and I personally think that was a good enough rookie season he should have won ROY over Jordan). And then of course at the age Embiid is now he took Houston to the finals.
I bought a boat.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#6 » by Sixersftw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Feels like a loaded question hah.

Even removing health, I think Hakeem was ever so slightly better at this point.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#7 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:38 pm

eminence wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Uh...I mean Embiid has been getting paid for 3 years, he sure as heck hasn't been playing for that long.

??? Embiid last year was the same age as Hakeem's rookie season (and I personally think that was a good enough rookie season he should have won ROY over Jordan). And then of course at the age Embiid is now he took Houston to the finals.

Rookie Joel Embiid is better than rookie Hakeem Olajuwon. Didn't I just say that? :o

Joel Embiid played less, so he was less valuable. If we're asking who was better on the court, I would say Embiid was. Perhaps the turnover problem makes them even, or a slight edge to Olajuwon. I am taking into account that Embiid suffered from 2 and a half years of rust.

Embiid was a better shot blocker, shooter, scorer, much better passer and was a comparable rebounder. Perhaps as an overall defender, Olajuwon was better, but the only major advantage Olajuwon has was lack of turnovers (and personal fouls :wink: ). With more context on Embiid's situation given his lack of playtime before his rookie season, he seemed to be more impressive, he almost won rookie of the year while missing the majority of the season.

Why do you feel Olajuwon was better than Jordan?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#8 » by eminence » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:15 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
eminence wrote:

Rookie Joel Embiid is better than rookie Hakeem Olajuwon. Didn't I just say that? :o

Joel Embiid played less, so he was less valuable. If we're asking who was better on the court, I would say Embiid was. Perhaps the turnover problem makes them even, or a slight edge to Olajuwon. I am taking into account that Embiid suffered from 2 and a half years of rust.

Embiid was a better shot blocker, shooter, scorer, much better passer and was a comparable rebounder. Perhaps as an overall defender, Olajuwon was better, but the only major advantage Olajuwon has was lack of turnovers (and personal fouls :wink: ). With more context on Embiid's situation given his lack of playtime before his rookie season, he seemed to be more impressive, he almost won rookie of the year while missing the majority of the season.

You a wild one. 2x the turnovers is nothing to sneeze at.

Because Jordan was a negative impact defender (dropped from 10th to 20th defensively with him being by far the largest minutes change), while Hakeem was top 2 from day 1 (with Eaton at the time). +14 vs +11 win improvement (on a better team).

Offensively of course Michael was better, but there's zero doubt in my mind that defense is undervalued compared to offense in general perception (and in all of the all in one rate metrics - shout out to the "Jordan test").
I bought a boat.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,213

Post#9 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Did you mean 3rd game? I'd have to look up hakeems' 3rd game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198411010KCK.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201611010PHI.html

After review, I'll have to give this one to hakeem.
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#10 » by Cyrusman122000 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Man it's crazy what one really good preseason game can do for you
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#11 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Ack!

That said, let me put in my normal placeholder here with Embiid -- I think he's that level talent. He just needs to have an actual career.

P.S. By the way "first 3 years" is a poor way to compare guys from this era and guys from 30 years ago. 30 years ago Joel Embiid just had his senior year of college and is entering the league as a rookie (which isn't too far from the truth the way it worked out).
Andy123
Pro Prospect
And1: 312

Post#12 » by Andy123 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Sixersftw wrote:Feels like a loaded question hah.

Even removing health, I think Hakeem was ever so slightly better at this point.

I feel it's a fair question because everytime embiid play sixer's win... And olajuwon first three years is not PRIME olajuwon .
I think Olajuwon is better but it's not as lopsided as people think.
I enjoy contributing ideas in a discussion towatds a solution , not interested in debates or arguments.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#13 » by Jiminy Glick » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:29 pm

To be honest with you if Embiid was durable and didn't have a 13% durability rating he would be better than Hakeem and would be someone who could guard Shaq and really create problems for him. Factoring out durability Embiid is better. In this preseason he still looks out of shape and not toned and I think still he runs awkwardly. Shaq was in way better shape than him.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#14 » by LakerLegend » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Why don't you look up the numbers Hakeem put up against "the greatest frontline in NBA history" during the 86 Finals and get back to us.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#15 » by donkeylips » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:24 am

Impossible to answer since hakeem is embiid
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#16 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:41 am

I voted Hakeem, but if you frame the question just right you can get an Embiid out of me.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,287

Post#17 » by baldur » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:43 am

embiid can be only better than him on twitter due to the reason that there was no twitter in hakeem's era.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#18 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm

eminence wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
eminence wrote:

You a wild one. 2x the turnovers is nothing to sneeze at.

Because Jordan was a negative impact defender (dropped from 10th to 20th defensively with him being by far the largest minutes change), while Hakeem was top 2 from day 1 (with Eaton at the time). +14 vs +11 win improvement (on a better team).

Offensively of course Michael was better, but there's zero doubt in my mind that defense is undervalued compared to offense in general perception (and in all of the all in one rate metrics - shout out to the "Jordan test").

It's not, but hey, Embiid does over double Hakeem's APG.
Franco
Veteran
And1: 3,138

Post#19 » by Franco » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:11 pm

One was roflstomping the Showtime Lakers while the other if spending 90% of his career rehabbing.

Of course it's Embiid!
About 2018 Cavs:

euroleague wrote:His team would be considered a super-team in other eras, and that's why commentators like Charles Barkley criticize LBJ for his complaining. He has talent on his team, he just doesn't try during the regular season
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#20 » by SHAQ32 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:25 pm

I would say from a standpoint of being ahead of the curve skill-wise, you have to go Hakeem

He was about 20-25 years ahead of his time with the stuff he was doing

You could argue that KAT is just about as skilled as Embiid, maybe slightly less

Return to Player Comparisons