ImageImageImageImageImage

O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::.

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1881 » by j4remi » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Random contribution to the philosophy side. I have some fun with this channel on youtube where these cats apply theory to pop culture (shows, movies, etc.). Just a fun time killer for me.

Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#1882 » by br7knicks » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Those were good, remi. Only watched first 2 tho.

Another point to the PC one is that's what's great about little children. They are not taught or are aware of negative stereotypes or bigotry. That's why you'll see them play on the playground with another kid, regardless of race, gender, religion, etc. They just want to interact and have fun - which would be great if adults could do the same.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,267

Post#1883 » by Iron Mantis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:19 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-dna-gene-editing-20171025-story.html

This has the potential to be a true game changer. The ability to change codons in your genome could theoretically eradicate just about every cancer and hereditary disease.

The real question is...is there more money to be made from eradicating every disease in this manner ..or just treating them with meds, etc.?

Wherever the profit is, is where medicine will actually go.

That's a very negative way at looking at things, but I get your point. It's still quite intriguing that advancements are being made towards cures. Which I don't think will come cheap anyway.

It may seem negative, but it's realistic and consistent with how the world actually works.

It's why we all still drive cars with combustion engines.

The elements who control the world's wealth run the show.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#1884 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:The real question is...is there more money to be made from eradicating every disease in this manner ..or just treating them with meds, etc.?

Wherever the profit is, is where medicine will actually go.

That's a very negative way at looking at things, but I get your point. It's still quite intriguing that advancements are being made towards cures. Which I don't think will come cheap anyway.

It may seem negative, but it's realistic and consistent with how the world actually works.

Somewhat valid point regarding the combustion cars, except now the trend is towards electric and clean/renewable energy. Will progress be slower due to established interests? I don't doubt it. But you can't stop progress.
KnickFan33
Veteran

Post#1885 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:20 pm

j4remi wrote:Random contribution to the philosophy side. I have some fun with this channel on youtube where these cats apply theory to pop culture (shows, movies, etc.). Just a fun time killer for me.

My thoughts on the first 2 videos. Video 3 was just too long.

Video #1: I find being PC to be useless. I think stereotypes serve an evolutionary purpose, not to say all stereotypes are accurate. For example, if the stereotype of a neighborhood you're walking through is that it has a high crime rate, you're more likely to be paying attention to your surroundings. That (to me) is a purposeful defense mechanism. If you were to be more PC and call a bad neighborhood something else (impoverished?) doesn't change the situation at all. Moreover, it potentially diverts from main issue.

How stereotypes might be used to purposefully to demean and belittle is a problem. But I find that to have nothing to do with being PC. If using words in a degrading manner, it doesn't matter what words are used.

Video #2: Regarding religion... I take issue when it is pushed onto others, used in politics, and/or used to ignore evidence. Other than those situations, nothing really wrong with it. But is god necessary? I don't think so.

Just my 2 cents.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#1886 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:

Somewhat valid point regarding the combustion cars, except now the trend is towards electric and clean/renewable energy. Will progress be slower due to established interests? I don't doubt it. But you can't stop progress.

Except I can remember these things being "trends" 30 years ago. There's been little to no move on it despite our advanced technology until Elon Musk came along to force the issue.

The fat cats who own fossil fuels & medicine won't give up their golden eggs until they're shown a bigger golden egg.

The money is in treatment, not a cure. There's a reason why there as been zero progress on cancer cures for 100 years.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1887 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 pm

There are trillionaires who make their money with oil. They're not trying to see electric cars flying through the air.
KnickFan33
Veteran

Post#1888 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:45 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:It may seem negative, but it's realistic and consistent with how the world actually works.

Except I can remember these things being "trends" 30 years ago. There's been little to no move on it despite our advanced technology until Elon Musk came along to force the issue.

The fat cats who own fossil fuels & medicine won't give up their golden eggs until they're shown a bigger golden egg.

The money is in treatment, not a cure. There's a reason why there as been zero progress on cancer cures for 100 years.

I don't quite remember renewable energy or electric cars being a trend earlier in my lifetime. There have been prototypes I suppose, but trending towards their usage is a totally different story. And again I agree, corporate greed plays a role.

The true reason there hasn't been progress on cancer cures is because cancers aren't one size fit all. If you were to find a cure to one it doesn't at all guarantee a cure for another. Why? Because for each cancer there is a different mutation in different sequence in a different location on different chromosomes. Which is precisely why the news in the posted link is a potential game changer.
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#1889 » by TheBigBoss » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Does anyone else watch the Strange Mysteries channel on youtube?

KnickFan33
Veteran

Post#1890 » by KnickFan33 » Wed Nov 1, 2017 6:17 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/06/20/trump-administration-to-decline-to-renew-dozens-of-scientists-for-key-epa-advisory-board/

What kind of nonsense is this? It’s like putting a flat earther in charge of NASA.

If you want to argue that too many regulations have a negative impact on business, I absolutely understand that. But that isn’t the EPA’s job at all.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#1891 » by NYKAL » Wed Nov 1, 2017 8:26 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:

I don't quite remember renewable energy or electric cars being a trend earlier in my lifetime. There have been prototypes I suppose, but trending towards their usage is a totally different story. And again I agree, corporate greed plays a role.

The true reason there hasn't been progress on cancer cures is because cancers aren't one size fit all. If you were to find a cure to one it doesn't at all guarantee a cure for another. Why? Because for each cancer there is a different mutation in different sequence in a different location on different chromosomes. Which is precisely why the news in the posted link is a potential game changer.

around the lat 90's earl 2000's they were being pushed. Worked with a few who had hybrids and new at least one other. There were tax breaks and other benefits but, then it seemed to die out.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,184

Post#1892 » by gavran » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Uranus officially smells like ass.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-018-0432-1

Visible-to-near-infrared observations indicate that the cloud top of the main cloud deck on Uranus lies at a pressure level of between 1.2 bar and 3 bar. However, its composition has never been unambiguously identified, although it is widely assumed to be composed primarily of either ammonia or hydrogen sulfide (H2S) ice. Here, we present evidence of a clear detection of gaseous H2S above this cloud deck in the wavelength region 1.57–1.59 μm with a mole fraction of 0.4–0.8 ppm at the cloud top. Its detection constrains the deep bulk sulfur/nitrogen abundance to exceed unity (>4.4–5.0 times the solar value) in Uranus’s bulk atmosphere, and places a lower limit on the mole fraction of H2S below the observed cloud of (1.0−2.5)×10−5. The detection of gaseous H2S at these pressure levels adds to the weight of evidence that the principal constituent of 1.2–3-bar cloud is likely to be H2S ice.
gavran
RealGM

Post#1893 » by gavran » Wed May 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Whenever you think you are having a sh*t day, remember, this guy had it worse:

Officials at the Pompeii archaeological site have announced a dramatic new discovery, the skeleton of a man crushed by an enormous stone while trying to flee the explosion of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD.

Pompeii officials released a photograph showing the skeleton protruding from beneath a large block of stone that may have been part of a door frame that had been "violently thrown by the volcanic cloud".

https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20180529/world/new-skeleton-found-in-pompeii-excavation.680355https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20180529/world/new-skeleton-found-in-pompeii-excavation.680355
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,021

Post#1894 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 am

KnickFan33 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:

I remember some scandal about them reposessing everyone's electric cars and destroying them.
:beer: RIP mags
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1895 » by j4remi » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:29 pm

Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

gavran
RealGM

Post#1896 » by gavran » Thu Jun 7, 2018 6:53 pm

j4remi wrote:

Damn, some names I haven't heard in ages. Robert Bauval, Graham Hancock, I was eating their books until I was 22-23 years old.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1897 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Jun 7, 2018 9:58 pm

We are closer to ancient Rome, than ancient Rome is to ancient Egypt.

There is no way we'll ever get an accurate picture of that era. But, westerners have written their books, and damn if anyone brings them some new light on the subject.
hawkguy
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#1898 » by hawkguy » Fri Jun 8, 2018 2:15 am

Why Can't I Change
Passenger
Album: Runaway

Why can't I change after all these years?
Why can't I change my ways?
I find it so strange after all these years
I'm still more or less the same
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#1899 » by TheBigBoss » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:07 am

GENETICALLY MODIFIED MONKEYS MAY HELP SCIENTISTS UNDERSTAND BRAIN DISORDERS LIKE AUTISM

For human brain research, crab-eating macaques and marmosets are the animals of choice for many scientists. They are smaller and easier to take care of than chimps, yet their brains are much more similar to human brains than those of mice. That’s why geneticists are attempting to genetically engineer monkeys with symptoms of autism and schizophrenia to better understand those disorders.

According to The Atlantic, chair of neuroscience at MIT Guoping Feng has been studying genetically engineered mice with “knocked out,” or disabled genes that may, when mutated, cause autism. But it’s difficult to compare an autistic mouse with an autistic human, as the different species’ have different bodies, genes, and habits.

Instead, Feng is using the promising new gene-editing technology called CRISPR on primates. CRISPR is notoriously fast and easy to use, and can “cut and paste” whatever genes a scientist wants onto an embryo with precision.

http://www.newsweek.com/genetically-modified-monkeys-scientists-autism-969829

So it begins......

Spoiler:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1900 » by j4remi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:32 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:
GENETICALLY MODIFIED MONKEYS MAY HELP SCIENTISTS UNDERSTAND BRAIN DISORDERS LIKE AUTISM

For human brain research, crab-eating macaques and marmosets are the animals of choice for many scientists. They are smaller and easier to take care of than chimps, yet their brains are much more similar to human brains than those of mice. That’s why geneticists are attempting to genetically engineer monkeys with symptoms of autism and schizophrenia to better understand those disorders.

According to The Atlantic, chair of neuroscience at MIT Guoping Feng has been studying genetically engineered mice with “knocked out,” or disabled genes that may, when mutated, cause autism. But it’s difficult to compare an autistic mouse with an autistic human, as the different species’ have different bodies, genes, and habits.

Instead, Feng is using the promising new gene-editing technology called CRISPR on primates. CRISPR is notoriously fast and easy to use, and can “cut and paste” whatever genes a scientist wants onto an embryo with precision.

http://www.newsweek.com/genetically-modified-monkeys-scientists-autism-969829

So it begins......

Spoiler:

I always feel weird reading about animal testing. Necessary in some cases? Yeah, I guess so...but it's so foul.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks