ImageImageImageImageImage

Preliminary Look At +/-: Why Kanter Needs To Be Benched

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,835

Re: Preliminary Look At +/-: Why Kanter Needs To Be Benched 

Post#221 » by robillionaire » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:32 am

+9 16-15 W
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#222 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:30 am

Tonight kanter gave weak help on a drive by Lee's man and Lee ripped into him

The very next play on defense kanter rotated and trapped franks man with him and forced a very nice turn over.

He didn't sulk
He didn't argue
He gave edfort

I commend that from kanter and lee both

Really nice stuff from the Knicks these days
I think we're gonna hit that 30 game win mark after all

I thought we might get 18 but the way the team is moving the ball and working on defense and the way Jeff has tightened rotations were as good as any mid level team
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#223 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:32 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:Kanter would absolutely not start on Cleveland or GSW, his defense is **** and even Lee was yelling at him today (happened right in front of me), and his inability to score outside paint clogs lane on KP’s drives.

KOQ is a straight stud on defense and his passing more than makes up for his lack of scoring (even though he’s also a beast finisher).

See my above post about that sequence with lee and kanter
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#224 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:12 am

Kanter made multiple good plays on defense tonight. Everyone has defensive lapses, but Kanter is under a microscope for w.e reason. One of those good plays ended TJ Warrens night also.

Easy to call out Kanter getting yelled at by Lee, meanwhile Oquinn was getting screamed at by Coach for being in the wrong spot and getting lost on offense.

Kanter playing well...his defense has not been as bad as some people are proclaiming it to be.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#225 » by Sark » Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:18 am

OAKAAK.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,021

Post#226 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Nov 4, 2017 7:24 am

Advanced stats can suck farts out of my ass. They ignore EVERY variable and put things in a vacuum.

I was anti Kanter...he's winning me over. He does more good that doesn't make the stat sheet than bad that does.

I'm thinking he's a keeper.

I can always change my mind and act like I never said this but, for now...I'm sticking to it.
:beer: RIP mags
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,856

Post#227 » by KnicksGod » Sat Nov 4, 2017 10:17 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:Kanter would absolutely not start on Cleveland or GSW, his defense is **** and even Lee was yelling at him today (happened right in front of me), and his inability to score outside paint clogs lane on KP’s drives.

KOQ is a straight stud on defense and his passing more than makes up for his lack of scoring (even though he’s also a beast finisher).

In theory KP and Kanter shouldn't work that well but for whatever reasons, I think it does so far.

Maybe as simple as Kanter takes inside scoring pressure off KP, rebounds well, and makes key scores that keep KP chugging.

He makes certain momentum shots and takes attention away from KP and I think that has really helped KP thrive.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#228 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:24 pm

KnicksGod wrote:

In theory KP and Kanter shouldn't work that well but for whatever reasons, I think it does so far.

Maybe as simple as Kanter takes inside scoring pressure off KP, rebounds well, and makes key scores that keep KP chugging.

He makes certain momentum shots and takes attention away from KP and I think that has really helped KP thrive.
he also forces opponents to put a big man out there to defend kanter
So they have to deal with two scoring bigs, one of whom can shoot threes in their face or dribble penetrate.

Kanter makes it so at least one big defender is away from Kp and helps us work mismatches

Most teams have to throw a smaller player on Kp since they don't have two 7' starters to handle the pair. And Kp is eating up smaller defenders.

NO might be the only other team working twin towers
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#229 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:54 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:Kanter made multiple good plays on defense tonight. Everyone has defensive lapses, but Kanter is under a microscope for w.e reason. One of those good plays ended TJ Warrens night also.

Easy to call out Kanter getting yelled at by Lee, meanwhile Oquinn was getting screamed at by Coach for being in the wrong spot and getting lost on offense.

Kanter playing well...his defense has not been as bad as some people are proclaiming it to be.

That's a clear sign that in reality all our bigs are better suited on the bench. But someone has to start, and the folks that see these guys everyday...picked Kanter.

Kanter has to be told to defend, KOQ has to be told where to be on the court in the middle of a play. Willy has to be told why just being KP's bff will not earn him minutes, and awards from last season don't carry over to the next one.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:59 pm

Idk, Tristan Thompson starts for the Cavs and he does nothing but rebound. cavs have a lot of bad defenders on their team this season.

There entire starting lineup minus LeBron are shyt defenders. :lol:

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#231 » by E-Balla » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:05 pm

Y'all so hyped off 2 good games. :lol: I'll revisit the OP with an update 20 games in and hopefully Kanter keeps playing well so I can focus on our Gs (mainly Timmy and Frank) like I originally wanted to.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#232 » by ChaosHamster » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:08 pm

btw, if Kanter keeps starting and putting up similar numbers, someone is giving him 15/per easy. Hes gonna opt-out.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#233 » by HighRyzer83 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:09 pm

Isn't Kanter shooting like 65% rate right now? Even the shots he's missing seem like easy shots that barely roll off the rim. He's always fighting for better position and runs the floor. I dont think its a stretch to say he's one of the best low post scoring bigmen in the game as well as a top tier rebounder. He's not a top tier defender but if he was he'd be all NBA 1st/2nd team or all star at least, and there is no way we would be able to get him for Melo. If thats the case, how can you have any interpretations about Kanter right now, unless you have some hangups about how he got here. Dude's just 25 he should be apart of our future not some KOQ rival talk.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Post#234 » by j4remi » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:26 pm

E-Balla wrote:Y'all so hyped off 2 good games. :lol: I'll revisit the OP with an update 20 games in and hopefully Kanter keeps playing well so I can focus on our Gs (mainly Timmy and Frank) like I originally wanted to.

I'll say this, as a Kanter to the bench guy, his play has been trending up. The first three games were awful, the next couple showed improvements and he's had a couple of nice performances in a row since having his place in the rotation threatened just slightly. So it's worth monitoring imo, but the guy is definitely not a long term answer until he's consistently getting his hands up on shooters and making rotations on time which even during the hot run just hasn't happened.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#235 » by HEZI » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:28 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:Isn't Kanter shooting like 65% rate right now? Even the shots he's missing seem like easy shots that barely roll off the rim. He's always fighting for better position and runs the floor. I dont think its a stretch to say he's one of the best low post scoring bigmen in the game as well as a top tier rebounder. He's not a top tier defender but if he was he'd be all NBA 1st/2nd team or all star at least, and there is no way we would be able to get him for Melo. If thats the case, how can you have any interpretations about Kanter right now, unless you have some hangups about how he got here. Dude's just 25 he should be apart of our future not some KOQ rival talk.

If he keeps playing like this, Mills and Perry deserve credit for the Melo deal. Even Doug McDermott looks like a nice bench piece that could be part of the core group. I'm really liking both Kanter and McDermott so far.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 15,965

Post#236 » by Wolfgang630 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:54 pm

I still don't see him long term. I need to see more of Willy at some point.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#237 » by dakomish23 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:40 pm

You're just hating on him because we traded Melo to bring him in!

:rofl2:

I can't imagine how petty somebody's Knicks fandom must be, if you could somehow assume others would think like this. One of the most pathetic arguments I ever read.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#238 » by NoLayupRule » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:41 pm

HEZI wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:Isn't Kanter shooting like 65% rate right now? Even the shots he's missing seem like easy shots that barely roll off the rim. He's always fighting for better position and runs the floor. I dont think its a stretch to say he's one of the best low post scoring bigmen in the game as well as a top tier rebounder. He's not a top tier defender but if he was he'd be all NBA 1st/2nd team or all star at least, and there is no way we would be able to get him for Melo. If thats the case, how can you have any interpretations about Kanter right now, unless you have some hangups about how he got here. Dude's just 25 he should be apart of our future not some KOQ rival talk.

If he keeps playing like this, Mills and Perry deserve credit for the Melo deal. Even Doug McDermott looks like a nice bench piece that could be part of the core group. I'm really liking both Kanter and McDermott so far.
the throw ins on the melo deal look solid for sure

But man those throw ins they got on the George deal!
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#239 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:32 pm

Kanter has done the things he's good at, and has shown he can be coached into areas he struggles mightily in. Kanter came right into preseason scoring and rebounding, just as expected, hasn't disappointed there at all. he's been as advertised on that end.

The jury was always going to be on the defensive side, and honestly the team hadn't shown they take any pride on that end overall until the last few games, which is part coaching, part players.

The coaching seems to be holding guys to what they say they will, and Kanter in particular has responded if you're watching the games you'll see this. He was clueless on defense on arrival, now he at least knows he has to at the minimum try to stay on the court, and i'd suspect he'll have to do even moreso when Noah comes back.

HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#240 » by HEZI » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:48 pm

I saw Kanter break a mans skull with his chin last night
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman