ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,444

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1861 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:42 am

blueNorange wrote:
reub wrote:If we would have waited we could have had Girardi.

why?

yankees organization hated him for not adjusting, same reason why mets were fed up with terry.

mickey is a new school manager.

He took CC out of the game after 70+ pitches just like the stats guys in the FO told him to. How'd that work out?

Sabermetrics are great for a lot of things, but you have to know when your pitcher is dealing and to let him rip. Make sure the guys in the PB stay loose in case they have to warm up quick. But that was the complaint against Girardi, i.e. that he wasn't up on the metrics.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1862 » by reub » Mon Nov 6, 2017 4:32 pm

Well, we kept Cabrera. He was worth the money for us.
Who will we sign this offseason?
Jay Bruce said he wasn't thrilled with what went on in the clubhouse with us last year but I'd like to have him back.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1863 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Nov 6, 2017 6:16 pm

reub wrote:Well, we kept Cabrera. He was worth the money for us.
Jay Bruce said he wasn't thrilled with what went on in the clubhouse with us last year but I'd like to have him back.

Why would he leave Cleveland, assuming they want him back and why wouldn't they? Seems like a great fit there.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1864 » by reub » Mon Nov 6, 2017 10:09 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Why would he leave Cleveland, assuming they want him back and why wouldn't they? Seems like a great fit there.

I don't know if they want to pay him.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#1865 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Nov 6, 2017 10:34 pm

Yankee fan here. I just came for the free food. 8-)
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#1866 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:33 pm

Don't know who we'll sign but i'm sure Mets fans will once again be disappointed with what we do in free agency per usual. If we were a true New York team with owners who have open wallets i'd say we'd go all out and add some much needed offense.

Biggest needs are:
CF--L.Cain--Fills 3 of our top needs with true leadoff hitter, speed and a CFder
3B--M.Moustakas, E.Nunez
SP/Innings eater--L.Lynn, A.Conn, J.Vargas
BP--A.Reed (Bring Addy back), B.Kintzler

C--T.DarNaud, K.Plawecki
1B--D.Smith
2B--W.Flores, A.Cabrerra, TJ Rivera
SS--A.Rosario
3B--M.Moustakas, D.Wright
RF--M.Conforto
CF--L.Cain
LF--Y.Cespedes

SP--J.DeGrom, N.Syndergaard, Z.Wheeler, S.Matz, M.Harvey, R.Gselmann, S.Lugo, R.Montero, L.Lynn
Closer- J.Familia
8th--AJ Ramos
7th--A.Reed, J.Blevins
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1867 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:39 am

newyorker4ever wrote:

Don't know who we'll sign but i'm sure Mets fans will once again be disappointed with what we do in free agency per usual. If we were a true New York team with owners who have open wallets i'd say we'd go all out and add some much needed offense.

Biggest needs are:
CF--L.Cain--Fills 3 of our top needs with true leadoff hitter, speed and a CFder
3B--M.Moustakas, E.Nunez

C--T.DarNaud, K.Plawecki
1B--D.Smith
SS--A.Rosario
RF--M.Conforto
CF--L.Cain
LF--Y.Cespedes

SP--J.DeGrom, N.Syndergaard, Z.Wheeler, S.Matz, M.Harvey, R.Gselmann, S.Lugo, R.Montero, L.Lynn
Closer- J.Familia
8th--AJ Ramos
7th--A.Reed, J.Blevins

Forget about Cain and Moustakis. Reed will also probably be looking for a big contract.

We have about $30 million to play with for both free agency and arbitration eligible players. I'd keep your expectations in check this off-season. Maybe we can bring back Walker and Bruce. But we also need, IMO, a veteran starting pitcher. Maybe CC. I hear Darvish's name mentioned. Maybe Lance Lynn, like you mentioned.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1868 » by newyorker4ever » Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:09 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Biggest needs are:
3B--M.Moustakas, E.Nunez

C--T.DarNaud, K.Plawecki
1B--D.Smith
SS--A.Rosario
RF--M.Conforto
CF--L.Cain
LF--Y.Cespedes

Closer- J.Familia
8th--AJ Ramos
7th--A.Reed, J.Blevins

Forget about Cain and Moustakis. Reed will also probably be looking for a big contract.

We have about $30 million to play with for both free agency and arbitration eligible players. I'd keep your expectations in check this off-season. Maybe we can bring back Walker and Bruce. But we also need, IMO, a veteran starting pitcher. Maybe CC. I hear Darvish's name mentioned. Maybe Lance Lynn, like you mentioned.

Oh i know not to expect the guys i want to be signed which is why i said Mets fans will be disappointed in the off season once again. I've heard a couple of different numbers for money we'll have to spend with the biggest one being around $40 million. Sandy has already made it a clear point to mention more than once that it's still about pitching so i can see him signing a couple of bullpen pieces and a innings eater and then going with guys like A.Cabrerra, W.Flores, TJ Rivera at 2B and 3B and J.Lagares and B.Nimmo in CF but will sign one tier 2 type player like a E.Nunez and a OFder. I do know that Sandy likes to keep things on the down low and make it look like he's not gonna make any big moves and then will make one that nobody was expecting him to do so i'm gonna hold out hope for that to happen and think it could.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1869 » by reub » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:22 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Biggest needs are:
3B--M.Moustakas, E.Nunez

C--T.DarNaud, K.Plawecki
1B--D.Smith
SS--A.Rosario
RF--M.Conforto
CF--L.Cain
LF--Y.Cespedes

Closer- J.Familia
8th--AJ Ramos
7th--A.Reed, J.Blevins

Oh i know not to expect the guys i want to be signed which is why i said Mets fans will be disappointed in the off season once again. I've heard a couple of different numbers for money we'll have to spend with the biggest one being around $40 million. Sandy has already made it a clear point to mention more than once that it's still about pitching so i can see him signing a couple of bullpen pieces and a innings eater and then going with guys like A.Cabrerra, W.Flores, TJ Rivera at 2B and 3B and J.Lagares and B.Nimmo in CF but will sign one tier 2 type player like a E.Nunez and a OFder. I do know that Sandy likes to keep things on the down low and make it look like he's not gonna make any big moves and then will make one that nobody was expecting him to do so i'm gonna hold out hope for that to happen and think it could.

We've got tons of starter. A whole bunch of relievers (that's all Sandy traded for last year). We need one or two consistent bats. How much does Bruce get this year? $15 million per for 3 years is my guess. He can obviously help in the middle of the order and bolster us in RF and 1B, where we have some question marks. He's be my choice.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1870 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:37 am

reub wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

We've got tons of starter. A whole bunch of relievers (that's all Sandy traded for last year). We need one or two consistent bats. How much does Bruce get this year? $15 million per for 3 years is my guess. He can obviously help in the middle of the order and bolster us in RF and 1B, where we have some question marks. He's be my choice.

Every reliever he traded for are in the minors and are all power pitchers and not sure any are ready to come up yet and even if any of them are we still can't count on them. We have 3 guys we can count on in Familia, Ramos and Blevins and most of the others are inconsistent guys we can't count on. We could get away with signing one more but he has to be a legit reliever we can actually count on. I'm so Disappointed in H.Robles, the kid has such good stuff but just can't get his shyt together and also can't be counted on at all.

The thing with Bruce for me is while he was good for us, we didn't win with him so i really don't wanna go back to that again. We need a true CFder or go with the Lagares/Nimmo combo and spend money at 2B or 3B. I'd love to get either Dee Gordon or L.Cain cause we haven't had a true leadoff guy and base stealer in forever and we need both of those badly.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1871 » by reub » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:49 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
reub wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Every reliever he traded for are in the minors and are all power pitchers and not sure any are ready to come up yet and even if any of them are we still can't count on them. We have 3 guys we can count on in Familia, Ramos and Blevins and most of the others are inconsistent guys we can't count on. We could get away with signing one more but he has to be a legit reliever we can actually count on. I'm so Disappointed in H.Robles, the kid has such good stuff but just can't get his shyt together and also can't be counted on at all.

The thing with Bruce for me is while he was good for us, we didn't win with him so i really don't wanna go back to that again. We need a true CFder or go with the Lagares/Nimmo combo and spend money at 2B or 3B. I'd love to get either Dee Gordon or L.Cain cause we haven't had a true leadoff guy and base stealer in forever and we need both of those badly.

I don't think we'll be giving out any more $100 million contracts for a while. We've got a lot of interesting pieces on this team. Question marks at 1B and one outfield slot. Plenty of pitching that needs to be tuned up and healthy, but its there.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1872 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:46 pm

reub wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
reub wrote:

I don't think we'll be giving out any more $100 million contracts for a while. We've got a lot of interesting pieces on this team. Question marks at 1B and one outfield slot. Plenty of pitching that needs to be tuned up and healthy, but its there.

It's where and what's it's????
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1873 » by reub » Thu Nov 9, 2017 3:25 pm

Come on now? Do I have to list every pitcher for you? Thor, deGrom, Harvey, Matz, Lugo, Wheeler, Montero, Gsellman. That's 8 starters and I'm high on Montero.
The bullpen has three solid pieces plus all of the young arms that Sandy traded for and a few decent maybes. That's not bad.
We lack a middle of the order hitter and can use a bolstering at 1B and the OF. One nice bat.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1874 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:22 pm

reub wrote:Come on now? Do I have to list every pitcher for you? Thor, deGrom, Harvey, Matz, Lugo, Wheeler, Montero, Gsellman. That's 8 starters and I'm high on Montero.
The bullpen has three solid pieces plus all of the young arms that Sandy traded for and a few decent maybes. That's not bad.
We lack a middle of the order hitter and can use a bolstering at 1B and the OF. One nice bat.

No you definitely do not need to name every starter and actually i don't think you could tell me anything about my Mets that i don't already know.

We have two of those 8 names you mentioned that we can rely on every 5th day in Syndy and DeGrom. Harvey has huge question marks, S.Matz can not stay healthy, Big Wheeler fan but he's also coming back from major injury and didn't look so good last year until he had to get shut down AGAIN for the year but he's the next one i have at least some trust in after Syndy and DeGrom, Gsellman is inconsistent and he's lucky he's even still a Met after he ran his big mouth about not caring what Sandy thinks, i do like what Gsellman gave us in the bullpen last year though, I'm a Lugo fan and love his curve ball (when it's on) but he's a 5th starter who will have a really good game every now and again but will also have bad outings, Montero finished out the season nice and i love watching him pitch but the kid just can't make it through a 5th inning. I'm looking forward to Montero this year though and hope he can pickup where he left off cause he did pitch better to finish out the year and again, i love his stuff.

Yes the bullpen has 3 solid pieces which i've said in every post but i'm not sure you know this but those 3 pitchers can't pitch in every game and Familia did not look good when he came back from the blood clot thing last year but i still trust him to be just fine. We absolutely without a doubt need at least one more legit RPer.

The holes we have are:
1B-- this depends on D.Smith of course
2B and 3B--Cabrerra, Flores, TJ Rivera and G.Cecchini will be the candidates but all are better as bench pieces if you ask me but i'm sure Cabrerra will get one of those spots or he might pull a bytch move again and say he wants to be traded if he isn't starting at one of 2B or 3B.
Catcher--DarNaud and Plaws--i'm really hoping Plaws is what he showed in his last call up to finish the season cause he was hitting the ball well to finish the year and his defense is better then DarNaud's.
CF--I've always hoped Lagares would become a more consistent hitter and take the starting CF job cause his defense is gold glove but when he does get the job he always ends up getting hurt or is inconsistent at the plate.

There's two guys i mentioned that could fill either the CF or 2B job and those two would bring needs that this team has had for a while which is a true leadoff hitter that brings speed to steal bases in L.Cain or D.Gordon.

I'm gonna give one more of my years hoping that my favorite baseball player ever can come back next season and play some games in D.Wright. I love everything about this guy and how he's a true professional on and off the field. Of course i just don't see it happening but who knows, maybe this last surgery will be the one that helps the guy and he can give us somewhere around 70-100 games. I know it's wishful thinking but not much would make me happier then to see him on that field again playing baseball. If he can then maybe him and Cabrerra can take care of 3B for us.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,871

Post#1875 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 11:45 pm

blueNorange wrote:
reub wrote:If we would have waited we could have had Girardi.

why?

yankees organization hated him for not adjusting, same reason why mets were fed up with terry.

mickey is a new school manager.

People who think Terry was the problem and Girardi was a problem are out of their minds... Both guys did a ton for the NY teams and typically exceeded expectations.

Sandy basically used his one shield (firing the manager) he is now on the seat.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#1876 » by blueNorange » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:14 pm

mickey baby :D already pumped for baseball!

Read on Twitter
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1877 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:20 pm

blueNorange wrote:mickey baby :D already pumped for baseball!

Read on Twitter

This shyt doesn't work. So now we're going to have a severely overworked bullpen. This sounds like what Girardi prematurely relieved for CC in the playoff game against the Indians after only 77 pitches when CC was dealing. I hate this shyt. I remember when Bob Gibson and others threw well over 250 innings every year.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1878 » by blueNorange » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:39 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Read on Twitter

This shyt doesn't work. So now we're going to have a severely overworked bullpen. This sounds like what Girardi prematurely relieved for CC in the playoff game against the Indians after only 77 pitches when CC was dealing. I hate this shyt. I remember when Bob Gibson and others threw well over 250 innings every year.

1. teams do this now, including the dodgers
2. the mets are gonna have an 8 man bullpen
3. in addition to the dodgers, a lot of teams are doing this now. the royals did it in 2015 when the won the world series

incase you haven't noticed your old backwards thinking is useless in todays baseball.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1879 » by blueNorange » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:41 pm

indians use an 8 man bullpen, cubs use an 8 man bullpen.

but hawthorne once saw bob gibson in the 1950's throw 250 innings.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1880 » by reub » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:36 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Read on Twitter

Wingo, that's when men were men. Now they're more like blueNorange. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to New York Knicks