ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#7441 » by jstudabaka » Sat Nov 4, 2017 8:42 pm

Color me cynical, but I'm also positive Tanaka didn't opt out because he's worried about passing a physical on a new deal.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,934

Post#7442 » by Fury » Sat Nov 4, 2017 10:21 pm

jstudabaka wrote:Color me cynical, but I'm also positive Tanaka didn't opt out because he's worried about passing a physical on a new deal.

Or maybe his wife likes it here
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer

Post#7443 » by jstudabaka » Sat Nov 4, 2017 10:24 pm

Fury wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:Color me cynical, but I'm also positive Tanaka didn't opt out because he's worried about passing a physical on a new deal.

And maybe Mike Hampton really went to Colorado for the school districts
Fury
RealGM

Post#7444 » by Fury » Sat Nov 4, 2017 10:48 pm

jstudabaka wrote:
Fury wrote:

They’re not from the US. Not easy to find Japanese communities as large as the ones here. It’s perfectly reasonable considering he’s already making mad money.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer

Post#7445 » by jstudabaka » Sat Nov 4, 2017 11:05 pm

Fury wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:
Fury wrote:

They’re not from the US. Not easy to find Japanese communities as large as the ones here. It’s perfectly reasonable considering he’s already making mad money.

Idk, maybe, hope you're right.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#7446 » by duetta » Sun Nov 5, 2017 2:50 am

At this point, Yanks are better off risking $ 67m on Tanaka than a lot more on any of the suspects in this FA class.

Tanaka becomes an extremely easy player to root for.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#7447 » by Mecca » Sun Nov 5, 2017 3:00 am

Fury wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:
Fury wrote:

Or I'd say he knows that teams wouldn't give him the money he wants with his elbow problem and poor regular season.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7448 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Nov 5, 2017 2:27 pm

With the FA market for pitchers pretty "meh" and Yu Darvish's pitches were tipped against the Astros, I do believe Tanaka could've gotten more if he opted out.

Fortunately Japanese players are pretty loyal to their organization.

The only times I've read about Japanese players leaving the team that signed them, usually the decision of the front office not the player. Sure, Japanese players aren't paid as much as their American counterparts, the highest paid player is $4M/year but it's not like the Latin American baseball leagues where players are paid less than a guy at a car wash.

Side Note: Lastings Milledge is making $250K in Japan. Still not money to sneeze at.

I don't think money was the issue with Tanaka. I think competition is. Why would he leave the NY Yankees who were 1 game away from the World Series? There is none.

Let's be CLEAR. Tanaka has been the Yankees most consistent pitcher for his career.

He was the Yankees ACE throughout the 2017 playoffs. Sure he had a rough April-June but he turned it around in the second half. So no, I don't believe his arm has been an issue for at least 3 seasons. It's all about mechanics. One thing this guy has been brilliant at, making adjustments. You GOTTA re-watch his starts against the Indians and Astros. How he was able to mix pitches against 2 teams who LOVE the fast ball.

Glad to have him back. You NEED a clubhouse guy who has poise. He's as rock solid as they come.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#7449 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Nov 5, 2017 2:41 pm

Fury wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:
Fury wrote:

There's actually way more Japanese in the Pacific Northwest. The Japanese community in NY-metro is relatively small.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7450 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Nov 5, 2017 2:42 pm

Tanaka was mostly very good when it mattered. I know he is capable of putting together a better overall season though. He had a weird season.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7451 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Nov 5, 2017 10:39 pm

Yeah, the Japanese community in the 80s was a lot more vibrant than it is now but it IS tight especially amongst the Japanese sushi restaurants. You go to any of the establishments, they all know each other and eat at each other's establishments. I like that concept. Honoring other business owners by giving them business.

If you cats ever find yourself in the West Village, head to Rockmeisha Izakaya for Japanese "tapas" (for the lack of a better word). The owner is a HUGE wrestling fan and the place is decorated and has old wrestling matches played on the TV.

I'll tell you what is underrated, Koreatown and community of Koreans.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Post#7452 » by Rich Rane » Mon Nov 6, 2017 10:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Fury
RealGM

Post#7453 » by Fury » Mon Nov 6, 2017 10:48 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Yeah, the Japanese community in the 80s was a lot more vibrant than it is now but it IS tight especially amongst the Japanese sushi restaurants. You go to any of the establishments, they all know each other and eat at each other's establishments. I like that concept. Honoring other business owners by giving them business.

If you cats ever find yourself in the West Village, head to Rockmeisha Izakaya for Japanese "tapas" (for the lack of a better word). The owner is a HUGE wrestling fan and the place is decorated and has old wrestling matches played on the TV.

I'll tell you what is underrated, Koreatown and community of Koreans.

Thanks for the heads up on that restaurant. Love wrestling
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#7454 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Nov 6, 2017 10:59 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

Such B.S that there isn't a baseball game worth playing on the Xbox One.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Post#7455 » by Rich Rane » Mon Nov 6, 2017 11:04 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

Such B.S that there isn't a baseball game worth playing on the Xbox One.

Yeah, 2K really effed up there. Too bad EA won't restart the MVP Baseball series. I loved that before The Show.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#7456 » by blue and orange » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:20 pm

Ok so who is gonna be the MFing Manager already, you would think someone would get hired by this coming Sunday.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7457 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Nov 7, 2017 12:27 pm

I dunno. Frankly, I'm kind of nervous. I don't believe Girardi was fired due to his so-call unrelatable relationship with players. I DO believe he was fired due to sabermetrics crap that Cashman was pushing on him. I have a lot of issues with sabermetrics because it's telling me that guys I've seen play with my own eyes are terrible. There is NO GENE, NO STAT, NO EQUATION for Human desire to compete. Sorry...

Andrew Marchand was gitty as a kid at Hebrew School trashing Tanaka with all his "smart" numbers.

Slowly but surely you could see, Tanaka was sorting himself out. In the 2nd half of the season and Postseason, he was the BEST Yankee pitcher. Did Marchand ever re-approach his gaffe? NO.

That's why you don't use Sabermetrics and computer data in every situation.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7458 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Nov 7, 2017 9:27 pm

In other baseball news Roy Halliday died in a plane crash. RIP.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#7459 » by moocow007 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:07 pm

Was reading an article that basically implied similar (i.e. that teams would balk at giving him a long term deal given that partial tear he's been playing with the past few years). In the end it probably was best for both sides. While Tanaka's current contract is not cheap it still is most likely be cheaper than what Darvish and Arrieta will end up getting. And you know that Tanaka can handle the spotlight of NY unlike the other 2 top dogs. Tanaka gets to stay in a place where he's been real successful and is guaranteed a lot of money regardless of what happens to his elbow.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#7460 » by moocow007 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:09 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I dunno. Frankly, I'm kind of nervous. I don't believe Girardi was fired due to his so-call unrelatable relationship with players. I DO believe he was fired due to sabermetrics crap that Cashman was pushing on him. I have a lot of issues with sabermetrics because it's telling me that guys I've seen play with my own eyes are terrible. There is NO GENE, NO STAT, NO EQUATION for Human desire to compete. Sorry...

Andrew Marchand was gitty as a kid at Hebrew School trashing Tanaka with all his "smart" numbers.

Slowly but surely you could see, Tanaka was sorting himself out. In the 2nd half of the season and Postseason, he was the BEST Yankee pitcher. Did Marchand ever re-approach his gaffe? NO.

That's why you don't use Sabermetrics and computer data in every situation.

Yeah I'm not a fan of over reliance on stats. Will keep going back to my famous example of Alfonso Soriano vs. D'Angelo Jiminez and how what the eyes see can greatly differ from what the stats predict.

Return to New York Knicks