ImageImageImageImageImage

Before you get too hyped about our success....

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Zerostatic
General Manager
And1: 537

Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#1 » by Zerostatic » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:01 pm

I don't want to rain on your parade but keep your expectations for this season in check. We've played 7 games at home and only 3 on the road. I find that NBA and sports fans in general tend to severely underrate the difference when a team plays at home versus on the road. For example last year's Knicks team at home had the same record as the Thunder, Wizards and Grizzlies did on the road and yet NBA fans would expect an easy win against the Knicks in New York and a much harder matchup against those named teams even if it's in their arena.

Even if our win percentage at home and our win percentage on the road stay at where they are at right now (applying each of those to 41 games) we are at between 42 and 43 wins.

I am happy that we started the season with a favorable home/away ratio because I think it's exactly what this young team needed to build confidence but don't think something is wrong with our team when we hit some stretches of road games later in the year. We will undoubtedly have some long stretches of losses when we start going on long road trips. Before you ask "what's wrong with this team" or start blaming players or coaches, just keep this in mind.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#2 » by King of Canada » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:03 pm

BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#3 » by ChaosHamster » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:11 pm

booo
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,878

Post#4 » by Context » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:12 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:booo

I was thinking the same thing lol
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
KnicksFTW
Bench Warmer
And1: 447

Post#5 » by KnicksFTW » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:16 pm

Can we stop comparing last years team to this years team?

The way we are winning is in no way the same as last year.

Defense, team ball, and getting stops where the lead guards aren't killing us is WHY we're winning.
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,658

Post#6 » by shtolky » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:24 pm

I don't want to speak for others, but I am much happier about KP's superstar play and Frank's early play vs. our record. To me, the season is a massive success if KP keeps this up and Frank continues to grow as a 19 year old. The record is just gravy.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,843

Post#7 » by SelbyCobra » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:26 pm

I mean this much is obvious - the Knicks aren't THIS good, but they're young, fun, and exciting to watch.

You're never as good as you look when you're winning, or as bad as you look when you're losing. A long, dismal losing streak will happen. Major injuries will happen. The team might end up sucking.

There's no need to let the prospect of such outcomes shade the glorious sunshine of the past two weeks, though. I, for one, plan on getting sunburned while I can.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#8 » by Oscirus » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:26 pm

Dont be that guy.
Last year we were clearly winning on talent, this year, we're winning on team play. Either way Im having fun watching it.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#9 » by F N 11 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:27 pm

CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Zerostatic
General Manager
And1: 537

Post#10 » by Zerostatic » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:32 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:You're never as good as you look when you're winning, or as bad as you look when you're losing.

I love that quote. That is a now a permanent part of my lexicon.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#11 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:41 pm

Zerostatic wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:You're never as good as you look when you're winning, or as bad as you look when you're losing.

I love that quote. That is a now a permanent part of my lexicon.

and i feel the sentiment. i look at it more like, don't everyone get all crazy when we hit another inevitable rough patch. there will be growing pains. and that's all part of it too.

i'm just happy that horny has this ship in a direction. i love the way we're playing. not stressing over Ws and Ls so long as we see the development we need for long-term.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Zooropa
Veteran
And1: 1,881

Post#12 » by Zooropa » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:49 pm

Someone on Twitter brought this up last night, but the real test for this team is going to be the brutal stretch (18 of 25 games on the road) heading into the ASB. If they can continue to rack up the home wins before that happens, and head into the break ~.500, then we could be looking at playoffs. A long way to go, but the team is competitive and the games are must-watch.
"The Jeff Hornacek Experience"
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,197

Post#13 » by Wolfgang630 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:51 pm

Trust me I know this. I've already said we need to win as many home games as possible, because we've barely played on the road and we have a brutal schedule coming up soon. If we can win a lot at home and a handful on the road then we could finish around .500.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#14 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:54 pm

Zooropa wrote:Someone on Twitter brought this up last night, but the real test for this team is going to be the brutal stretch (18 of 25 games on the road) heading into the ASB. If they can continue to rack up the home wins before that happens, and head into the break ~.500, then we could be looking at playoffs. A long way to go, but the team is competitive and the games are must-watch.

All it would take to win some of those games on the road is if the team plays up to its current level

and

Doug gets more burn
Frank keeps evolving
Tim refines his shot selection

so there is plenty more upside to this team this season

especially as they get more accustomed to each other

and

refine their defense
ImageImageImage
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Post#15 » by god shammgod » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:56 pm

we're basically winning on kp's back. the defense is bad until late in the game. we have been down for most of the game in the last couple. so it's basically about whether he can keep this up. it's probably unfair to ask of him.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,440

Post#16 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:57 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:I mean this much is obvious - the Knicks aren't THIS good, but they're young, fun, and exciting to watch.

You're never as good as you look when you're winning, or as bad as you look when you're losing. A long, dismal losing streak will happen. Major injuries will happen. The team might end up sucking.

There's no need to let the prospect of such outcomes shade the glorious sunshine of the past two weeks, though. I, for one, plan on getting sunburned while I can.

This
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#17 » by EchelonNYK » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#18 » by NYKAL » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:11 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Zooropa wrote:Someone on Twitter brought this up last night, but the real test for this team is going to be the brutal stretch (18 of 25 games on the road) heading into the ASB. If they can continue to rack up the home wins before that happens, and head into the break ~.500, then we could be looking at playoffs. A long way to go, but the team is competitive and the games are must-watch.

All it would take to win some of those games on the road is if the team plays up to its current level

and

Doug gets more burn
Frank keeps evolving

and

refine their defense

If Tims shot selection doesn't improve, I hope Jeff starts yanking him...maybe give Dotson some burn. Hopefully with the light schedule the next week or so, they will have time to watch tape and point these things out to him. Team should look sharper with a few days of practice coming up. They only play tonight, Sunday & Wed if I'm not mistaken.
Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#19 » by Zingod » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:11 pm

Zooropa
Veteran
And1: 1,881

Post#20 » by Zooropa » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:13 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

and

Doug gets more burn
Frank keeps evolving

and

refine their defense

I hope so. The fear would be that the current level of play is more or less the ceiling for this team, and faced with adversity some of the cohesion we see could devolve a little bit, but your scenario is equally possible. We'll have to see –– the team is still largely untested.

Very interested in tonight's game, which is basically a "schedule loss" on paper. Road back to back coming off of a wildly successful home stand –– the type of game where you'd expect to see a hangover and a lack of competitive fire. Think back to the second night of our home and home against Charlotte around this time last year. We won the first at home in thrilling fashion (overtime, I think?), and then no-showed the next night in their building. Of course, it's a totally different team + makeup, so I'll be looking for the young guys to come out hungry and actively fight that hangover. That would be telling. If we lose tonight, it's also not the end of the world at all.
"The Jeff Hornacek Experience"

Return to New York Knicks