ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread (FIBA Americas Aug 25 - Sep 3) 

Post#3441 » by frumble » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:42 pm

London Lightning statement re opening roster indicates that Junior Cadougan is rehabbing from a knee injury and not currently active.

I think safe to assume that he will be unavailable for our November games.
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#3442 » by TooBad » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:23 am

Dillon brooks is quickly becoming my favorite player in the NBA....So clutch, 5 point play with 39 sec left in the game (Just shut down maccullum on the final shot for the win too).

Read on Twitter
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#3443 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:57 pm

mojo13 wrote:Scola is the most interesting to me as that could mean Nicholson be in play (as we said though that would be a loooong commute). I think we will start to see these 12 man rosters without the Euroleague guys for most if not all countries. Still some rumbling that Russian, Italian and maybe some other EL clubs will allow guys to play (I don't see it though).

I've only heard that some EuroLeague teams would allow players to play, coming from the federations of those countries. Not any of the teams themseleves. Like with Spain, the federation said they could play, and almost immediately Real Madrid and Barca said no.

I have not actually heard a single EuroLeague team say their players could play yet. However, I honestly don't see why it can't actually happen, when considering that some of the players don't actually play in a rotation. I don't see rotation players being allowed to play, but I also don't see why non-rotation players would be blocked. And in many cases, even non-rotation EuroLeague players are among the best players of individual countries.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#3444 » by mojo13 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:04 pm

Time to start pinging Matt Walker - Manager of Communications to ask for some communication?
mwalker@basketball.ca

Or Michelle O'keefe or Rowan Barrett?
http://www.basketball.ca/en/page/staff
Emails are all there....

Canadians playing abroad round-up.
http://www.usbasket.com/Canada/news/512394/Andrew-Nicholson's-double-double-lands-him-Player-of-the-Week-award-among-Canadians-playing-currently-abroad:

Nicholson with a strong start in China. Phil Scrubb still playing well in the BBL. Kyle Landry making an appearance on the list.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#3445 » by frumble » Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:57 pm

frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#3446 » by frumble » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:02 pm

mojo13 wrote:Time to start pinging Matt Walker - Manager of Communications to ask for some communication?
mwalker@basketball.ca

Emails are all there....

Thanks. I just emailed Matt Walker. Have you emailed him in the past? Has he been responsive?
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Post#3447 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:40 pm

frumble wrote:
mojo13 wrote:Time to start pinging Matt Walker - Manager of Communications to ask for some communication?
mwalker@basketball.ca

Emails are all there....

Thanks. I just emailed Matt Walker. Have you emailed him in the past? Has he been responsive?

I emailed him when we were trying to find out info last time about the roster for the Americas tournament. He wrote me back, but not until after the roster was released and I had already seen it on the website, essentially just saying, "here it is". Good of him to write back, especially since I'm not a media rep or anything, but not really that helpful.
WellYouKnow
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#3448 » by WellYouKnow » Wed Nov 8, 2017 10:58 pm

Anyone have any idea on the availability of the games on TV or stream?

I spoke with a DAZN rep and it doesn't seem likely they'll be there, as he had no idea of when the games were or any information about them hosting it.

Thats disappointing as they had all the Americup games.

I know livebasketball is supposed to have them but I've used them before and wasn't impressed.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3449 » by mojo13 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:57 pm

WellYouKnow wrote:Anyone have any idea on the availability of the games on TV or stream?

I spoke with a DAZN rep and it doesn't seem likely they'll be there, as he had no idea of when the games were or any information about them hosting it.

Thats disappointing as they had all the Americup games.

I know livebasketball is supposed to have them but I've used them before and wasn't impressed.

FIBA is linking to LiveBasketball. I am not seeing anything else out there though.
At 9.99 per month you are looking at 5 bucks per game.

And Jared Bayless is out indefinitely:

He better do something with this....
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3450 » by mojo13 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:51 pm

‪More info out there on Bahamas Fiba WC Qualifier team than Canada's. Can Canada Basketball or the Canadian media tell us anything? do they give a $hit?

If anyone cares to learn about our first opponent. These minnow countries seem to think the bigger countries will be very weakened by this new process and this may be their best shot to qualify for a major event (they are not wrong). They are taking this quite serious.
http://m.tribune242.com/news/2017/nov/08/top-basketball-players-eager-to-try-out-for-team/?templates=mobile
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#3451 » by frumble » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:23 pm

mojo13 wrote:‪More info out there on Bahamas Fiba WC Qualifier team than Canada's. Can Canada Basketball or the Canadian media tell us anything? do they give a $hit?

If anyone cares to learn about our first opponent. These minnow countries seem to think the bigger countries will be very weakened by this new process and this may be their best shot to qualify for a major event (they are not wrong). They are taking this quite serious.
http://m.tribune242.com/news/2017/nov/08/top-basketball-players-eager-to-try-out-for-team/?templates=mobile

Thanks for posting.

Lack of information is extremely frustrating. As is the feeling that the only people who give a $hit about the national team are a handful ofposters on this board.

Some qualifying window news from Sportando.
European Commission will rule on the scheuduling dispute between FIBA and the Euro Leauge.

https://www.sportando.com/en/national-teams/national-teams/253271/european-commission-will-take-a-decision-about-the-conflict-between-fiba-and-euroleague.html

And seems that a Spanish EuroLeague team has threatened to sanction players who play in FIBA qualifying games during the EL season.

https://www.sportando.com/en/national-teams/world-cup/253275/dragan-milosavljevic-unicaja-will-sanction-us-if-we-play-for-national-team.html
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#3452 » by frumble » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:36 pm

Mojo,
I take it the other message board you mentioned has had no news the last few days?
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,485

Post#3453 » by Hair Canada » Thu Nov 9, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread (and more generally to online forums). Have read through its history and really enjoyed the level of knowledge that you all have. Always nice to see you're not alone and there are others who are interested and passionate about Canadian basketball beyond NPH and the usual suspects.

I have a practical question for those of you who have been here for a while:

I'd like to start a discussion under the rubric "Team Canada, Paris 2024". Something about how we see the not-so-near future, who are the players we might expect to lead Canada in 5-10 years, how the competition would look like, etc.

Now, the question is where to do this. Would this thread be the right place for it? Or should I start a new thread instead? And if so, under what should it be (e.g. under the "Raptors", like this thread, or maybe under "international basketball")?

I imagine doing this in a couple of stages -- something like a few short posts. So first I might explain why 2024 and not 2020. Then talk about current players and how they might fit in this scheme. and then maybe break down classes one by one and discuss prominent players who might find themselves on the Canadian team by then.

I think it can be a fun discussion, but since you are the ones who are most likely to be interested in this sort of stuff, I'd like to hear what you think. Wouldn't want to "clog" this thread with such a discussion if most are not interested.

Thanks!
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#3454 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:21 pm

mojo13 wrote:

These minnow countries seem to think the bigger countries will be very weakened by this new process and this may be their best shot to qualify for a major event (they are not wrong). They are taking this quite serious.

You're right, they're absolutely not wrong, which was an obvious drawback to the system from the first moment it was announced (and disproportionately bad for Canada). You would think that FIBA would want to design a system that would ensure that the best teams are able to play at its premier events.

I still don't understand why Canada Basketball didn't argue more strongly against the change a couple of years ago (but then again, that would presume a level of passion that, as you guys have noted, seems to be entirely missing from everywhere except on this board). And seeing all of the problems that European federations are having now, I just don't know why the hell everyone didn't see these potential problems two years ago when the change was first being discussed.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#3455 » by frumble » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:21 pm

Hair Canada wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread (and more generally to online forums). Have read through its history and really enjoyed the level of knowledge that you all have. Always nice to see you're not alone and there are others who are interested and passionate about Canadian basketball beyond NPH and the usual suspects.

I'd like to start a discussion under the rubric "Team Canada, Paris 2024". Something about how we see the not-so-near future, who are the players we might expect to lead Canada in 5-10 years, how the competition would look like, etc.

Now, the question is where to do this. Would this thread be the right place for it? Or should I start a new thread instead? And if so, under what should it be (e.g. under the "Raptors", like this thread, or maybe under "international basketball")?

I imagine doing this in a couple of stages -- something like a few short posts. So first I might explain why 2024 and not 2020. Then talk about current players and how they might fit in this scheme. and then maybe break down classes one by one and discuss prominent players who might find themselves on the Canadian team by then.

I think it can be a fun discussion, but since you are the ones who are most likely to be interested in this sort of stuff, I'd like to hear what you think. Wouldn't want to "clog" this thread with such a discussion if most are not interested.

Thanks!

I think it would be better in its own thread, but I suspect the mods would prefer it go here.

We used to have different threads for different national team topics, but the mods consolidated all national team discussion into one. It does tend to make for a very long, clogged, and disparate thread (senior roster speculation in the same thread as discussion of class of 2021 prospects, for example), but I think that is the way it is.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#3456 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:24 pm

Hair Canada wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread (and more generally to online forums). Have read through its history and really enjoyed the level of knowledge that you all have. Always nice to see you're not alone and there are others who are interested and passionate about Canadian basketball beyond NPH and the usual suspects.

Thanks!

Welcome to the board! It's always great to hear from more people who have an interest in Canadian basketball.

I think this thread would absolutely be the place for that discussion, and probably one that a number of us would enjoy participating in.

However, it might be best to hold off for a little bit. I think most of us are currently anxious/frustrated/nervous about the upcoming qualifying games later this month. A discussion about 2024 might seem too far off and would kind of get lost in the shuffle. I might suggest bringing these topics up at the end of the month or early December once we've had time to digest whatever happens with these first qualifying games for 2019.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,485

Post#3457 » by Hair Canada » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:54 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:

Thanks!

Welcome to the board! It's always great to hear from more people who have an interest in Canadian basketball.

I think this thread would absolutely be the place for that discussion, and probably one that a number of us would enjoy participating in.

However, it might be best to hold off for a little bit. I think most of us are currently anxious/frustrated/nervous about the upcoming qualifying games later this month. A discussion about 2024 might seem too far off and would kind of get lost in the shuffle. I might suggest bringing these topics up at the end of the month or early December once we've had time to digest whatever happens with these first qualifying games for 2019.

Good advice. I'll heed and hold on at least until after the first qualifying games.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
TooBad
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#3458 » by TooBad » Thu Nov 9, 2017 11:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Looks like Bennett is healthy so he should be able to play for Canada (still pretty athletic for someone his size).
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,490

Post#3459 » by Mattd97 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 am

not to defend an organization where a patriots fan interviewed and passed on me for a job, but im sure theyre equally as frustrated with not being able to put forward a roster due to what weve all been discussing in difficulty locking down peoples availability
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#3460 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:54 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:You're right, they're absolutely not wrong, which was an obvious drawback to the system from the first moment it was announced (and disproportionately bad for Canada). You would think that FIBA would want to design a system that would ensure that the best teams are able to play at its premier events.

I still don't understand why Canada Basketball didn't argue more strongly against the change a couple of years ago (but then again, that would presume a level of passion that, as you guys have noted, seems to be entirely missing from everywhere except on this board). And seeing all of the problems that European federations are having now, I just don't know why the hell everyone didn't see these potential problems two years ago when the change was first being discussed.

It's very obvious that FIBA only cares about money, and not the sport. EuroLeague is actually fighting for the sport. FIBA is doing this solely for the enormous increases in revenue that it will generate.

That's also why the national federations in Europe are so 100% in agreement with FIBA on this.

The old format was better for basketball, but much worse for revenues. This new format is bad for basketball, but will greatly increase the revenues of FIBA, the regional FIBA zones, and the national federations. I know with the European national federations, that they are giddy over this new change, because it will greatly increase their revenues.

The whole thing is solely about money, as far as FIBA and the national federations are concerned.

Return to Toronto Raptors