ImageImageImageImageImage

Before you get too hyped about our success....

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Re: Before you get too hyped about our success.... 

Post#41 » by boomann21 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:28 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:this will still be a tank/lottery season

but what we are seeing here is growth of the team and growth of our franchise player in a quicker and more impressive way than we had anticipated in best case scenario

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#42 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm sorry but this season is already a success. When's the last time the Knicks had THIS good of a first month of basketball?
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#43 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:37 pm

boomann21 wrote:

but what we are seeing here is growth of the team and growth of our franchise player in a quicker and more impressive way than we had anticipated in best case scenario

lol
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#44 » by Jose7 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:42 pm

I think our ability to be a competent team defensively in the first half of games will hinge on our 19 year old point god. I like how Jack looks for KP early but so does Frank whenever he's in the game, and his defense will be a huge boost for our team.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,148

Post#45 » by Fat Kat » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:44 pm

Player movement, ball movement and an inclusive style of play. That's what I wanted and it's what we're getting so far.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,706

Post#46 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:58 pm

Zerostatic wrote:I don't want to rain on your parade but keep your expectations for this season in check. We've played 7 games at home and only 3 on the road. I find that NBA and sports fans in general tend to severely underrate the difference when a team plays at home versus on the road. For example last year's Knicks team at home had the same record as the Thunder, Wizards and Grizzlies did on the road and yet NBA fans would expect an easy win against the Knicks in New York and a much harder matchup against those named teams even if it's in their arena.

Even if our win percentage at home and our win percentage on the road stay at where they are at right now (applying each of those to 41 games) we are at between 42 and 43 wins.

I am happy that we started the season with a favorable home/away ratio because I think it's exactly what this young team needed to build confidence but don't think something is wrong with our team when we hit some stretches of road games later in the year. We will undoubtedly have some long stretches of losses when we start going on long road trips. Before you ask "what's wrong with this team" or start blaming players or coaches, just keep this in mind.

Jesus Christ man, 9K posts and like 70 And 1's.....it's like you're the deliverer of bad news, what's your day job, writing obituaries? :lol:

I'm playing around man, I get what you're saying, but you're equating success with wins, while most of us just wanted to see team basketball with a nice young core group of guys. It's fun right now because both things are happening, but even if we start losing, as long as they play the same way and the losses are just from facing superior talent and the process of getting better continues, the season will still be a success. The wins are just gravy.
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#47 » by jstudabaka » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:12 pm

What strikes me is how few easy wins there seem to be on the NBA schedule these days. There's a lot more parity in the league apart from maybe a couple top teams. Even a lot of teams that are supposed to be bad -- Suns, Nets, Lakers, Kings, Pacers, the Knicks (lol) -- so far are playing competitive basketball. I guess the Bulls do suck, though
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#48 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:21 pm

I can’t see how many posts the OP has.... can I tell him to stfu & gtfo?
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#49 » by nedleeds » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm still hoping we end up at 26 wins and a good pick, but its impossible to root for that result game by game.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#50 » by nedleeds » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:29 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I'm sorry but this season is already a success. When's the last time the Knicks had THIS good of a first month of basketball?

Last year actually.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#51 » by Joel Embust » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:40 pm

DievsZingis wrote:
Zerostatic wrote:I don't want to rain on your parade but keep your expectations for this season in check. We've played 7 games at home and only 3 on the road. I find that NBA and sports fans in general tend to severely underrate the difference when a team plays at home versus on the road. For example last year's Knicks team at home had the same record as the Thunder, Wizards and Grizzlies did on the road and yet NBA fans would expect an easy win against the Knicks in New York and a much harder matchup against those named teams even if it's in their arena.

Even if our win percentage at home and our win percentage on the road stay at where they are at right now (applying each of those to 41 games) we are at between 42 and 43 wins.

I am happy that we started the season with a favorable home/away ratio because I think it's exactly what this young team needed to build confidence but don't think something is wrong with our team when we hit some stretches of road games later in the year. We will undoubtedly have some long stretches of losses when we start going on long road trips. Before you ask "what's wrong with this team" or start blaming players or coaches, just keep this in mind.

Jesus Christ man, 9K posts and like 70 And 1's.....

And1 wasn't around for the first 10 years he posted.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,881

Post#52 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:03 am

I agree when talking about the simple makes/misses. There are some things that I would like to look at such as FTA's in our home games this year vs home games last year. Overall the effort and energy seems better which is what you hope for. All in all, it won't be the worst thing in the world if we don't finish above .500 as long as it is for the right reasons. The problems on this team are the contracts of Noah, Hardaway, and Kantar. I don't see those problems going away any time soon.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,228

Post#53 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:06 am

Dude...I get your point. Why worry about losing though? THAT'S ALSO A GOOD THING! Every team we have beat is hovering around .500 give or take. It's early in the season for every team. That's also helping us win.

Overall...winning the way we have been has calmed my nerves about a lot of things. Jeff CAN coach. He runs a good system. They are playing defense. Frank looks like a great pick. Perry is DA GAWD! KP is a superstar on the rise! We have solid young talent. Enjoy the wins...and the record. It's FUN! ISN'T THAT WHY YOU WATCH?

What's not to get hyped about?
:beer: RIP mags
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#54 » by dakomish23 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:38 am

god shammgod wrote:we're basically winning on kp's back. the defense is bad until late in the game. we have been down for most of the game in the last couple. so it's basically about whether he can keep this up. it's probably unfair to ask of him.

Yep

He went nuclear so other dudes were able to fill in the gaps.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#55 » by blue and orange » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:47 am

Just live in the moment and dont look at the record thats the way to look at it, just maybe the lottery gods will reward us for not trying to tank.
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#56 » by BasicBall » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:48 am

boomann21 wrote:

:D My man :lol:
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#57 » by br7knicks » Thu Nov 9, 2017 11:37 am

success does not mean just wins.

i'm incredibly excited. the knicks, after 7 years, are heading in the right direction that produces winning basketball.

although it still is not perfect, we are seeing more effort on defense, team basketball and ball movement, hustle. most importantly, i'm seeing a coach that is making adjustments and holding players accountable - this is what i'm seeing least of, but it's nice to finally see it at all.

to me, hustle and defense, as well as team basketball, is succcess enough. i don't care if the knicks lose every game this season from hereon out. it's success to me because phil is gone, and melo is gone. those two were holding the knicks back to successful basketball, and they're finally heading in the right direction.

this season will be a success, regardless of the wins or losses columns
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,639

Post#58 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:18 pm

The Knicks are free of the triangle and Jeff is allowed to coach. He is doing what he did in Phoenix with young guys. They will deliberately tail off to get in the lottery if things go bad but they have definitely improved according to the mandate.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#59 » by seren » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Our games are fun to watch so long as KP is on the floor. Frank's game is not 100% there but just watching his growth and the thought of what he can become is worth watching. Everyone else seem to play with more urgency. Just make sure to keep expectations in check. There will be road trips. There will be six straight losses here and there.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#60 » by Slamm Goodbody » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Enjoy the ride until we get to our inevitable January west coast swing/swoon
Mardy Collins Superfan

Return to New York Knicks