ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#7501 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Everything Moocow said. Before I got to reading his piece, I was thinking of replying "He's so good, and he's still very young, you can count him as a prospect."

Now, that is a lot of money for a "prospect" but would it be for a guy, like Moocow said, would be considered, if not the #1 prospect in baseball, then certainly top 5? Who is a pitcher? Include the fact that the 20 million becomes like a "signing bonus" and not count against the cap, the Yanks would be dumb not to go all in, which every indication seems to be that they will.

Dodgers are the #1 competition. Not really feeling Texas' chances, other than if they resign Darvish and they can offer AL DH option.

Dodger's advantages
May be viewed as the better team currently with just as much future upside as the Yanks
Have established in the this 4 year period as the team that will spend whatever it takes to be good (Yanks old reputation)
The above may mean they throw a bunch of money at Darvish not only because he's good and bolsters the staff, but would be more of a draw to Otani than Tanaka
Manager situation isn't in flux
West coast is closer to Japan; not sure if 6 less hours factors in ability to get home in offseason, but the west coast has a larger Japanese population/culture etc.
Maeda is good young Japanese pitcher on the team right now
Not sure, but maybe for Otanai, Darvish + Maeda > Tanaka in terms of playing for a team

Dodger's disadvantages:
Yankees mystique internationally. Dodger's is pretty good, it's not the Yanks
AL is really where Otani wants to go because of the DH - and if he doesn't at the moment, surely his agents etc will point out why it makes sense
Yanks slight edge in terms of having bigger name Japanese players with success more recently that the Dodgers, with Matsui and Tanaka - Nomo is really their big name star - that was awhile ago; Saito wasn't a star, Darvish just played there this year.

Based on Yanks being ascendent at a good time (making the playoffs, advancing, competitive in ALCS), known to have a lot of young talent emerging, being in the AL, the lefty pull hitter thing, two large stars having good runs with the Yanks, it really feels inevitable. I sure hope so.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#7502 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:28 pm

moocow007 wrote:The Yankees would have to pay the Nippon Ham Fighters "ONLY" $20 million (that's the old posting agreement that they are trying to grandfather Otani under).

The new posting agreement gives the overseas team even less money. At no point would the money (for the Japanese team or the Japanese player) get anywhere near close to what was thrown around when Darvish and Tanaka was signed.

So again, that's ONLY $20 million that the Yankees or the Dodgers or the Rangers or whomever would have to give Nippon for them to allow Otani to sign with them. That $20 million does NOT count against the tax cap that the Yankees are trying to get themselves under.

Otani also would not be able to get the big money contracts that previous Japanese players have gotten. He'll be limited to what teams have left under their international spending limit. The most that Otani will be owed will be about $3.5 million per (what the Rangers and Yankees have that can actually be offered).

So we're talking about about a $23-24 million "gamble" (of which, at most, only $3-4 million would count against their tax reset number) to land what many scouts consider one of the best players on the planet (not just Japan) who is: a) only 23, b) will be under team control for a LONG time, c) plays the most premium position in baseball, d) opens up revenue streams globally, e) can likely contribute right away (both on the mound and in the batters box).

Otani not only throws upwards of 100mph which he apparently (like Severino) can carry late into games but also reportedly has nasty secondary pitches and can also hit a baseball 500'. One scout compared his swing to a young Darryl Strawberry in terms of easy power. Did I mention that Otani hits lefthanded and is a natural pull hitter (see Yankee Stadium)?

We're talking about a guy who would instantly be considered the best "prospect" in the majors, who is about the same age as an player in AA, who has front end starter stuff and who can contribute right away. I don't care what Chance Adams or Jordan Montgomery is or can become, Otani is already in another stratosphere.

The Yankees would be absolutely nuts to not be interested and go full tilt in on Otani regardless of what farm system or what young players they have already and that needs to focus on. Same goes for every single other team in the majors, on planet Earth or in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Put in another way. Yoan Moncada, who was a lesser player than Otani AND who cost more, is still someone that the Yankees goofed on not going after. So if they fail to go full tilt after a better player who will cost less then Girardi isn't the only one that should have been fired.

If they want to build a championship foundation that can last for as long as the last foundation lasted, trying to add someone like this is a no brainer. The talent, the age, the control, the cost...

The key bolded.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Post#7503 » by Rich Rane » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Doesn't Matsui still have some role with the Yankees? Is there any way he can help recruit Otani here?
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Post#7504 » by Phish Tank » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Doesn't Matsui still have some role with the Yankees? Is there any way he can help recruit Otani here?

He does. Special assistant to cashman

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7505 » by Rich Rane » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Phish Tank wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Doesn't Matsui still have some role with the Yankees? Is there any way he can help recruit Otani here?

He does. Special assistant to cashman

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app

GO GET HIM, GODZILLA!
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7506 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Otani would be a great fit but I'm not going to cry bloody murder if we don't get him. These negotiations can go either way 50/50.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7507 » by Rich Rane » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Judge wins AL Rookie Of The Year with unanimous vote.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7508 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm

I mean, what more needs to be said? Judge ignited this franchise last season. NO ONE expected this franchise to compete for a wild card, let alone the World Series.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#7509 » by F N 11 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Not sure how I feel about bringing Chad Green to spring training a starter.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7510 » by Rich Rane » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 pm

Sev placed third in Cy Young voting with 0 1st and 2nd place votes, 20 3rd place votes, 6 4th place votes, and 1 5th place vote.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,696

Post#7511 » by ccvle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:50 am

We have a log jam in the outfield. I wouldn't mind if we can trade away ellsbury , Frazier and hicks and some b+ prospects for stanton.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7512 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:51 am

ccvle wrote:We have a log jam in the outfield. I wouldn't mind if we can trade away ellsbury , Frazier and hicks and some b+ prospects for stanton.

Stanton, deservedly, makes more than Ellsbury right now and will be paid an average around $30 million for the next 10 years. Ellsbury needs to be unloaded though, even for the simple fact of clearing the logjam. No one is taking him though unless Yankees pay a huge chunk of his contract, which is $21,142,857 for the next three years and a team option for the just about the same amount on the fourth.

Both Marlins and Yanks want to cut salary, Marlins because of new ownership and Yanks because of getting under the luxury tax. I just don't see either team being beneficial to each other here. Until then, Yanks have a very expensive 4th/5th outfielder and continue the youth movement and try to get Clint into an everyday player.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,586

Post#7513 » by Capn'O » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:38 pm

Too much at the top of the board. I'll let these simmer open for a few days and then we'll get 'em next year and save baseball talk for big moves. XOXO.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#7514 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7515 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 pm

Altuve wins the AL MVP. Judge received only 2 first place votes to Altuve's 27.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Post#7516 » by Phish Tank » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:07 am

the baseball writers association of america is a joke. I want Hal Steinbrenner to call each and every reporter out.
Apples
Sixth Man
And1: 619

Post#7517 » by Apples » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:21 am

Yankee players rarely have been winning these awards in recent years.
You have to have outstanding numbers AND not much competition.

When I look at NL, Stanton vs Votto. Look at Stanton numbers. He won but it was close. Yet Judge loses by a landslide, who numbers are comparable to Stanton’s. Votto numbers better than Atulve. Two NY writers didn’t vote for Judge.

A little bit of NY bias and they probably didn’t want to give a rookie the MVP, cost him.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#7518 » by Butch718 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:44 am

I don't mind if people thought Altuve should have won. But the fact that it wasn't even close is embarrassing.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#7519 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:48 am

Yawn. Let's get back to improving and rebuilding this club into a Champion.
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#7520 » by GIMME_DATT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:59 am

27 first place votes to three what a **** joke

Return to New York Knicks