ImageImageImageImageImage

FrankFROOTERS Unite! - Frank Hype Thread #2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Re: FrankFROOTERS Unite! - Frank Hype Thread #2 

Post#1801 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Governor Dudley wrote:
levendis wrote:
Governor Dudley wrote:
God, he looks like a child. That's crazy.

He's already more skilled and has a better body than Giannis did coming in. But Giannis measurebles were ridiculous. Giannis showed the ability to glide across the court early on. But in terms of skill, not really close. Giannis was super raw coming in. Just goes to show you what talent and hard work can do.

I just hope we have the right coaching staff for developing PGs. Maybe Frank should spend summers in Latvia with Kristaps and Janis.

i think jeff hornacek was a pretty decent guard in the nba. he also has a track record for developing guard talent. and jeff already gushes about the kid.

frank's in good hands. he'll be our PG for years to come. we got lucky again.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Milk
Rookie
And1: 2,326

Post#1802 » by Milk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:16 pm

http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/basket/nba/actualites/nicolas-batum-frank-ntilikina-a-une-belle-histoire-a-faire-884177

Any French Knicks fan here that can translate this?

Did a Google translate and it’s a very interesting article and from what i can tell,
Batam talked about Frank shutting down Kemba (his teammate) in the 4th quarter, says that Frank is the best defender and most mature player in the draft, talks a bit about Porzingis becoming a Monster? On the court. Etc.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#1803 » by Tron Carter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Milk wrote:http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/basket/nba/actualites/nicolas-batum-frank-ntilikina-a-une-belle-histoire-a-faire-884177

Any French Knicks fan here that can translate this?

Did a Google translate and it’s a very interesting article and from what i can tell,
Batam talked about Frank shutting down Kemba (his teammate) in the 4th quarter, says that Frank is the best defender and most mature player in the draft, talks a bit about Porzingis becoming a Monster? On the court. Etc.

just using google translate..

The Hornets winger keeps his eyes on the French rookie of the Knicks. The international would also be well form a defensive axis with him and Rudy Gobert among the Blues, even if he points to an uneasiness still present.

Nicolas, you did not play against the Knicks, but you could observe Frank Ntilikina. Your impression?

Nicolas Batum: Compared to the five big leaders in the draft, with Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball, De'Aaron Fox and Dennis Smith Jr, for me it is he who is the best in defense and the most mature. And that was still in front of us ( the Knicks recovered a deficit of 15 points against the Hornets). It's been several times that they are at least 15 or so, and he's the game leader in the last quarter. And he often makes the right choices, to get his team started. So certainly, it will not necessarily be big stats that we will see on the score sheet, but for those who know basketball, it shows. Me, anyway, I saw what he did, again. Maybe once or twice, he must take the game in hand, try two-three things. And it's me who says that! While often I do not do it ... But as a leader, the tandem he trains with (Kristaps) Porzingis on the pick-and-rolls, in the last two or three minutes, when you're not even ten games NBA, it's pretty interesting.

Is it different to see it with your own eyes?

It's true that this is the first time I see it in real life, and it's big enough for a leader. He has a good physique for this job. He has everything to succeed, anyway. When you see the maturity he has, the sense of the pass ... He knows how to choose the right players, he knows how to put them in place, he knows his role. This does not surprise me because of the school from which he comes ( he was coached by Vincent Collet, just like Nicolas Batum ). He really has everything to make it happen.

What has marked you most about him?

This is the serenity he has in the last quarter. He has never been in the rush. He plays while walking. That's what is impressive! I am often asked why I am doing the same thing elsewhere. It is true that it is because we try to pose, because some players, especially US, really play in the rush. And in some end of the match like that, a young rookie leader could have been in the rush. But he was not. He was always put, he was doing a screen, he was looking with Porzingis and if it did not pass, he made a second, he was looking for the right pass ... That's why I say that at maturity level c is the best of five. That's what he is.

What does he release in defense?

He is not embarrassing. He embarrassed Kemba ( Walker, his teammate in Charlotte ). In the last quarter, Kemba takes the game in hand, he does what he has to do, but he can not develop everything he wants to do. This is partly because Frank has embarrassed him late in the game, defense.

NBA youth are often asked if they have traded with the elders, but rarely the other way around. What did he ask you for example?

( He nods ) The question that comes up often is when the calendar comes out. We see the reality of our life over the next 7 or 8 months. And they ask you how you handle all that. Because when you play seven times in ten days ... This is often the question that I am asked and it is also the question that I asked first. How do you manage your side basketball, you're never tired, all that?

Of course it's still the beginning, but how did you find it physically? It was twice that he played all the fourth quarter ...

It's only 10 games. It is good for now. The season started earlier, it's only early November ... But at the end of this match it is good. And it fits quietly. I saw his first match in Oklahoma. We all saw a rotten first match. But since then he has put himself in it.

Have you talked about playing in New York?

We talked a bit about it. He asked me what it was like New York from an outside team. I told him it's impressive, it's the Knicks anyway! It's not just anything, it's one of the only teams the world knows. I told him, " you are wearing a real jersey ". It's a beautiful story to do. Because it happens at the right time. If you arrive last year, it would have been different. There they are rebuilding, they play liberated and well. Porzingis becomes a monster. Frank asked me if he is stronger than Dirk (Nowitzki). I said, " I can not say yes, but I can not say no ." Dirk is a monument (only European to have been elected MVP, in 2007, in particular ). But I will not say no, either. I do not know…

Were Charlotte's executives interested in Frank?

They wanted it! But they knew he would not fall in 11 ( the Hornets had the 11th pick in the Draft, but New York and Dallas, who had the 8th and 9th, wanted a leader ). After, they had asked me my opinion on him already for a moment. They had made several trips to France too. They told me about it, they told me that if it fell in 11 they would take it, but they doubted it strongly. I would have liked...

Exactly, we are not going to put the cart before the horse, but necessarily we say that the team of France ...

( He cuts ) If I am recalled already! If they want me and they do not take me ... But if they want me again, it's true that it can be something ( after failed Olympics in Rio, he chose to do not participate in the Euro this summer ). We have perhaps the most beautiful generation in the last five years, but I think that we have the most dense over the next five or ten years ... We have a huge reservoir, so it will be interesting.

In any case, in defense we say that if you have to pass Frank, you and Rudy (Gobert), it will not be easy for the opponents!

It is true that, once again, if we go over my last selection, if we only talk about the 125 before, it was a bit my job. And I think I did my job in defense in big games. It was a bit my goal. In 2013, I told Tony to leave me the opposing leaders, the whole game. At the world, the same. There is Antoine Diot also who has good defensive qualities. But it's true that Frank leads, me on the wing and Rudy inside, we have a nice defensive axis. But again, if they remind me!

R.I.P Black Mamba
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 630

Post#1804 » by remi_222 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:45 pm

France has such a huuuge reservoire of players like Batum, Diaw, Ntilikina !
A few of them are in US Univeristy or HS (Jaylen Hoard has already commited to Wake Forest, Olivier Sarr freshman at WF as well, Joel Ayayi freshman for Gonzaga, Killian Tillie soph at Gonzaga as well, Yves Pons freshman for Tennessee, Renathan Ona Embo soph for Tulane) and some of them are already playing pro in France, and they're between 16 and 19yrs old (Killian Hayes for Cholet, Sekou Doumbouya - already top 5 mock draft for 2019 - for Poitiers, Elie Ekobo for Pau Orthez, Amine Noua for Villerbanne).

With Batum, Fournier, Gobert, Yabusele, Lauvergne, Noah, Parker, Diaw (playing in France but surely will come back in the League before the Playoffs start), Mahinmi, Ajinca and Luwawu, France could have a very good team in the NBA now and more in the future :)
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1805 » by magnumt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:33 am

Read on Twitter

...Let that sink in for a sec. :D

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#1806 » by Dantares » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 am

Last play of the first quarter Frank handles the ball so smooth and easily could have taken fox off the dribble instead he floats a nice alley hoop pass to KP. I totally see what you guys are saying about Frank being surprised that he can beat guys but hesitating.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#1807 » by Amsterdam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:24 pm

https://hoopsu.com/red-holzmans-ten-criteria-to-determine-whether-or-not-you-are-a-complete-defensive-player/

Red Holzman’s Ten Criteria to Determine Whether or Not You Are a Complete Defensive Player
BY TONY ALFONSO

William “Red” Holzman (August 10, 1920 – November 13, 1998) was an NBA basketball player and coach probably best known as the head coach of the New York Knicks from 1967 to 1982. Holzman helped lead the Knicks to two NBA Championships in 1970 and 1973, and was elected into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1985. In 1996, Holzman was named one of Top 10 Coaches in NBA History. [More via Wikipedia]

The following list of 10 criteria to determine whether or not you are a complete defensive player was shared by Butch Beard in his book, Butch Beard’s Basic Basketball. Beard played for and worked under Holzman as an assistant coach.

The list…

The player who can’t play intelligent defense is ultimately a hindrance to a team and an embarrassment to his coach. Fortunately, there are ways that you as an individual can work on your defense to avoid these shortcomings, and the best place to start is by measuring your defensive abilities against Red Holzman’s ten criteria. As you read on, keep in mind the old adage: “If your opponent does not score, he cannot win.” Of course, in basketball, opponents do score, but there are ways, both individually and as a team, that you and your teammates can limit an opposition’s scoring potential so that your team can score more points and win, and it’s the purpose of this chapter to show you how. For now, let’s see how you rate defensively.

1. Do you have quick hands and feet? Quickness is a must on defense where a split-second can make the difference between a blocked shot and a score
2. Do you have long arms? Players with longer arms have an advantage on defense (and offense, too) over their shorter-armed teammates.

3. Are you a quick jumper? The best shot-blockers and rebounders can launch themselves off the floor in an instant—and keep jumping as long as necessary.

4. Is your coach defense minded? You’ll know that he is if he spends more time coaching you and your team on defense than he does on offense. If he’s not defense minded, your team is in trouble, especially on those nights when the ball is not going into the basket as frequently as you’d like. Defense, and only defense will win those games.

5. Do you know a variety of defenses? Do you know how to play man-to-man defense? Zone defenses such as the 2-3? the 2-1-2? Do you know how to apply the full-court press? The half-court press? If you do, count yourself a student of defense. If you don’t, read on and learn.

6. How good are you at making the transition from offense to defense? Do you tend to be the last person up the floor? Is the man you’re assigned to guard always beating you on the fast break? These are just two signs that your transition game from offense to defense needs serious work.

7. How intelligent are you as a player? Do you feel you understand the concepts behind basketball and how it’s played? Articulate those concepts to yourself. In a game, do you feel you play under control and understand the situation that each moment in the game presents? Do you possess total player vision—that is, the ability to see and understand everything that’s happening on the floor?

8. Do you talk on defense? Not about homework or girlfriends. Do you talk to your teammates about what’s happening in the game?

9. Do you warn them about possible picks the opposition is setting? Do you yell “Switch!” before you switch men with a teammate defensively? Do you yell encouragements to your teammates and yourself? Red Holzman knows that the player who talks on defense is the one he can count on always to have his head in a game.

9. Do you know how to position yourself so that you can see the ball on the weak side? If you don’t know what I’m talking about, read on and I’ll show you.

10. Do you practice the proper defensive stance when playing defense? What is the proper defensive stance? You’d better read on just to make sure you both know it, and can do it!

These are ten of Red Holzman’s criteria for evaluating a player’s defensive qualities. There are others, but as Red used to say to me when we’d talk defense into the night, if a player can honestly answer “Yes” to all ten of the above, then everyone—player, coach, and team—will look terrific. “If a player’s ever going to be good—offensively or defensively—” Red always said, “he’s eventually got to study basketball the way he studies any subject in school.”
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#1808 » by DrKnick » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Allez, Frank!
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,064

Post#1809 » by TrueWarrior » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Governor Dudley wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:very similar improvement points to this guy a little while ago:

Spoiler:

Yup, and so does Frank. That's why it's crazy to think what Frank will be in a few seasons after he puts in that work.

Frank is only going to be 25 in 6 years. That's just mind blowing to me, and he STILL won't be at his peak then if all goes well.
WajaBawl
Starter
And1: 2,250

Post#1810 » by WajaBawl » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:52 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:
Governor Dudley wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:very similar improvement points to this guy a little while ago:

Spoiler:

Yup, and so does Frank. That's why it's crazy to think what Frank will be in a few seasons after he puts in that work.

Frank is only going to be 25 in 6 years. That's just mind blowing to me, and he STILL won't be at his peak then if all goes well.

I feel ya bro. To me his biggest strength going forward is his work-ethic. Dude WANTS to be better and WANTS to be in the gym as much as possible. Still remember when he was drafted and asked what he was most looking forward to seeing in NYC, and answered "The gym". I'm salivating over the thought of what a couple of off-seasons' worth of work could do to this kid. Right now his biggest weakness IMO is his handle (which isn't even that bad tbh), he just needs to get more comfortable with the ball. Imagine a 6'6 dude in 3 years doing crossovers and behind the back passes to KP :o :D
RealGM's Scandinavian Correspondent
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#1811 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:58 pm

WajaBawl wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:
Governor Dudley wrote:

I feel ya bro. To me his biggest strength going forward is his work-ethic. Dude WANTS to be better and WANTS to be in the gym as much as possible. Still remember when he was drafted and asked what he was most looking forward to seeing in NYC, and answered "The gym". I'm salivating over the thought of what a couple of off-seasons' worth of work could do to this kid. Right now his biggest weakness IMO is his handle (which isn't even that bad tbh), he just needs to get more comfortable with the ball. Imagine a 6'6 dude in 3 years doing crossovers and behind the back passes to KP :o :D

and shooting lights out with confidence. hopefully having figured out how to slash. he'd be elite all around.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,779

Post#1812 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:21 pm

90 pages for a guy who is no Dennis Smith Jr. Sad.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#1813 » by Oscirus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:90 pages for a guy who is no Dennis Smith Jr. Sad.

Lebron demands that this thread gets shut down.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#1814 » by BKAY » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:05 am

BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#1815 » by BKAY » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:06 am

Sorry to stretch the page but Franks reach is that good
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Re: RE: Re: FrankFROOTERS Unite! - Frank Hype Thread #2 

Post#1816 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:12 am

Oscirus wrote:

Luck Febron
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1817 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:19 am

Oscirus wrote:

LeBron says the Knicks should have a Nappier and DSJr page
WeAreNYC
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#1818 » by WeAreNYC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 pm

He still has some work to do on offense (as all rookies - especially PGs usually do) but you have to love Frank defense. I know there's times, especially after losses you want to pick apart everything a player did wrong but I was impressed with the way Frank approached the Cavs game.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1819 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:26 pm

WeAreNYC wrote:He still has some work to do on offense (as all rookies - especially PGs usually do) but you have to love Frank defense. I know there's times, especially after losses you want to pick apart everything a player did wrong but I was impressed with the way Frank approached the Cavs game.

Reminds me of this tall guy the Knicks got as a rookie a few years back. Was thought to be a project, turned out to be more fundamentally sound on offense than expected, though needed work. Yet he contributed on defense in a big way right away.
What was his name again? I heard he turned out pretty good in his 2nd and 3rd year.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#1820 » by CharlesOakley » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:46 pm

I love this kid shoving LeBron in the chest. I have total confidence this kid is going to work out. You can't add intelligence, physical gifts, and work ethic and not get a winner.

Return to New York Knicks