ImageImageImageImageImage

Looking ahead: Possible Cap Space for 2018 Free Agency

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,871

Looking ahead: Possible Cap Space for 2018 Free Agency 

Post#1 » by KnixinSix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:40 am

If this team keeps this up, we suddenly will be a very attractive option for some of the top FAs this offseason.

According to two of the scenarios I listed in the above spreadsheet the could conceivably create room for 1 and maybe even 2 max contracts. The numbers are pretty close and I assumed a 5 million increase to the cap (which mirrors the increase we saw coming into this season).

Teams that generally win championships in today's NBA have most of these main elements:

1.At least 2 of the top 15-20 players in the NBA
2.A very strong role player core to complement the star players which consists of most or all of the following:
-strong rebounder to do the dirty work
-One or more marksman 3 and D players
-Defenders who can shut down any of the 5 positions on the court either off the bench or as one of your star players
3. A very good offensive ball movement system

With KP's emergence, this team has all those elements except for the second superstar. And I believe if they can work something out with OQuinn and/or Kanter opting out and then resigning them after signing their key outside FA they can keep one or both those players by going over the salary cap.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
The KnicksFix
Sixth Man
And1: 1,541

Re: Looking ahead: Possible Cap Space for 2018 Free Agency 

Post#2 » by The KnicksFix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:06 am

i don’t know if any of these guys fit well with Kp. We want to remain young and build. We need someone who cuts thru the lane and shoot.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by KnixinSix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:10 am

Don't agree with all his logic but he does make some good points. This team with LeBron could be a serious contender to take down Golden State.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by KnixinSix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:14 am

The Uknickorn wrote:i don’t know if any of these guys fit well with Kp. We want to remain young and build. We need someone who cuts thru the lane and shoot.

Those guys are multifaceted superstars (both offensively and defensively) so they would fit well with anybody.

We are not talking Carmelo or Kevin Love here.

I love how our team is looking but we aren't beating the top teams without adding another superstar.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#5 » by Sark » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:14 am

Knicks shouldn't be looking to add players drafted in the early 2000s in 2018. Keep building our core organically. We'll get to where we want to be if we do it the right way. Blowing our load on old players is what doomed this team for the past 2 decades.
The KnicksFix
Sixth Man
And1: 1,541

Post#6 » by The KnicksFix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:16 am

KnixinSix wrote:
The Uknickorn wrote:i don’t know if any of these guys fit well with Kp. We want to remain young and build. We need someone who cuts thru the lane and shoot.

Those guys are multifaceted superstars (both offensively and defensively) so they would fit well with anybody.

I love how our team is looking but we aren't beating the top teams without adding another superstar.

True. But this team defends. And defends heavily. We still need another piece. i hope it’s thru draft
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by KnixinSix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:19 am

The Uknickorn wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

True. But this team defends. And defends heavily. We still need another piece. i hope it’s thru draft

Would you complain if we added 1 or 2 of James,Paul or George to make a run next year?

I sure wouldn't! 8-) :o :P
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by KnixinSix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 am

Sark wrote:Knicks shouldn't be looking to add players drafted in the early 2000s in 2018. Keep building our core organically. We'll get to where we want to be if we do it the right way. Blowing our load on old players is what doomed this team for the past 2 decades.

The caliber of player we are talking is totally different than what we have added in years past. There is a reason LeBron has went to like 6 straight finals. This isn't Derek Rose, Carmelo Anthony, Antonio MacDyss, Stoudemire etc.

No matter how much we root against Lebron, he is one of the best players of all time. You add LeBron to the current KP with keeping some of our key core that's a Finals team in the East potentially capable of beating the top West team.
Sark
RealGM

Post#9 » by Sark » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 am

KnixinSix wrote:
The Uknickorn wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

Would you complain if we added 1 or 2 of James,Paul or George to make a run next year?

I sure wouldn't! 8-) :o :P

It would be doomed to fail just like every other Knick excursion into star phcking.

How many times do you need to see it before you finally get it?
Sark
RealGM

Post#10 » by Sark » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:29 am

KnixinSix wrote:
Sark wrote:Knicks shouldn't be looking to add players drafted in the early 2000s in 2018. Keep building our core organically. We'll get to where we want to be if we do it the right way. Blowing our load on old players is what doomed this team for the past 2 decades.

The caliber of player we are talking is totally different than what we have added in years past. There is a reason LeBron has went to like 6 straight finals. This isn't Derek Rose, Carmelo Anthony, Antonio MacDyss, Stoudemire etc.

No matter how much we root against Lebron, he is one of the best players of all time. You add LeBron to the current KP with keeping some of our key core that's a Finals team in the East potentially capable of beating the top West team.

LeBron is 33 next month. He's on the way down. This year and maybe next (probably not)is his window. We have too many other holes to fill to go after a big fish.

And none of these guys are coming here anyway. This is a pipe dream.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by KnixinSix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:38 am

Sark wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

LeBron is 33 next month. He's on the way down. This year and maybe next (probably not)is his window. We have too many other holes to fill to go after a big fish.

And none of these guys are coming here anyway. This is a pipe dream.

Why wouldn't they come if we continue playing like we are now? Stable coach and offensive system. Great comraderie as a group. A coach that has the whole team hustling and playing with with effort on D.

Total turnaround from the conflict with Phil trying to force the triangle down everyones throats and no more ball stopping with Carmelo.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#12 » by DaGawd » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:41 am

KnixinSix wrote:

Lebron is about the only player Id spend the cap on so youre right there.. but its not happening. We dont have the space
BaF
Washington Wizards
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by KnixinSix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:44 am

DaGawd wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

Lebron is about the only player Id spend the cap on so youre right there.. but its not happening. We dont have the space

Look at my spreadsheet in the OP. We very likely can create enough space with room to spare
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#14 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:56 am

The entire banana boat crew can suck my dick.
Dave4585
Starter
And1: 445

Post#15 » by Dave4585 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:47 am

I don’t want Lebron in 2018 unless he gives us the “Heat” discount to form a super team w/ KP and one more. I don’t care who the fook he is he will be 34 and there will be a Front Office/Coach disaster waiting to happen with him with his nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Zingod
Rookie
And1: 895

Post#16 » by Zingod » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:43 am

https://www.google.lv/amp/hoopshype.com/2017/11/08/nba-free-agency-2018-the-top-players/amp/

Trash ass fa class tbh other than KD & LeBron of course.

Bunch of overrated players seeking for max (CP3,PG, Cousins, DeAndre, I.Thomas)

I would sign JJ Redick or overpay for Patrick McCaw(3/20 or so) though.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#17 » by DOT » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:53 am

Why are we still looking for FA stars?
That's the least efficient way to get talent

You draft star players, you sign role players

Plus, you really want 15 mil in dead cap for 3 years? And you want to pay Noah through 2023?

Christ, I thought we were done with this sh*t
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by KnixinSix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:38 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/top-50-nba-free-agents-2018-131115656.html

Didn't even realize the other guys who can opt out or are FAs:

1.James (best player in the world, a physical specimen and should play at a dominant level for another 2-3 years)

2.Cousins (dude is a monster and can do everything from the 5 position)- Pelicans have underwhelmed
3.George (2 way player)
4.Paul (2 way player)
5.Durant (don't see him leaving GS, but you never know)

To me even if we tried to stay under for under age 30 players Lebron is an exception (because it's LeBron and he gets teams to the finals practically by himself) this would be one fo thr best rosters hes been on potentially with KP and depending on what else we do roster shuffling. But even for those who don't want over 30. Cousins, George and a small chance for even Durant.

These players aren't the players we've mortgaged the future for in the past. They are all multi-faceted elite stars who are a level above the likes of Stoudemire, Spreewell, MCDyss,Anthony (High volume, lower efficiency, inconsistent D).
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#19 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:40 pm

KnixinSix wrote:

Don't agree with all his logic but he does make some good points. This team with LeBron could be a serious contender to take down Golden State.

LeBron is heading to the Mavs to play with DaGod DSJr
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#20 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Knicks should do a S&T with Cleveland so LeBron can get his money and the Cavs can fill out those 10 non ex-Knick roster spots with more ex-Knicks

Return to New York Knicks