Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Re: The Official Conor McGregor Thread 

Post#241 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 am

safi wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
safi wrote:I disagree with the notion that Conor has nothing to lose in this fight. Yes, he's lost fights, he's even tapped out. But here, the most likely outcome is that he gets utterly embarrassed. Losing a baseball game 5-3 is very different than losing 22-0 and that's what's probably going to happen here. Losing is one thing, being made to look like an amateur (which in this context is what he is) is another.

But thats the main point, he is an amateur. If he loses then he is a amateur boxer who lost a boxing match to one of the all time great boxers. Worst case for Conor he gets picked apart for 12 rounds (which in all likelihood going to happen) people are just going to say well no duh that happened. I dont see an angle where he gets blemished at all. If the thing is even somewhat competitive and it looks like a normal Floyd vs any boxer fight, thats a huge win for him. Like others have said, if he somehow knocks him out, he all of a sudden becomes a legend in sports.

Actually I'll take back my previous worst case scenario, worst case scenario is him getting knocked out by Floyd. If that happens then thats a black eye for UFC and MMA. Conor takes kicks and knees to the face, if Floyd who hasnt really knocked anyone out in like a decade knocks him out, doesnt look so good.

Maybe I'm overestimating the damage looking like an amateur will cause but this is the biggest stage he's ever had (and very likely will have) and he's going to get embarrassed. And I think the possibility of him becoming a national punchline is very much within the realm of possibility. On August 28th all the sports shows are going to be talking about this and they're going to be laughing at him, I wouldn't be surprised if some late night comedians threw some jokes his way.

I do think Floyd is going to KO him. I expect to see Floyd toy with him for the first few rounds and then sometime in round 5-7 he'll finish the job.

I find it very hard that he gets knocked out. Hes never been knocked out in MMA and its much easier to get caught in MMA than boxing. You have to defend leg, body and head kicks, knees and most importantly the takedown to go with punches and he has to deal with all those strikes being landed with much smaller gloves. Plus Floyd isnt a knock out guy, he is a defensive wiz.

I just dont think anyone is going to give him the slightest chance to win so there wont be too many jokes even if he did lose, its what everyone expects to happen.
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,224

Post#242 » by RalphWiggum » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:27 am

The only way this ends up bad for McGregor is if he gets knocked unconscious and can't leave the ring under his own power. If that happens he will be the butt of a lot of jokes. Mayweather hasn't shown he has that type of power so I think it's unlikely that happens. I think Floyd will toy with him for a bit and then start landing consistent sharp combos that will lead to a referee stoppage around the 5th round.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,899

Post#243 » by skbucks1985 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:36 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
safi wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
But thats the main point, he is an amateur. If he loses then he is a amateur boxer who lost a boxing match to one of the all time great boxers. Worst case for Conor he gets picked apart for 12 rounds (which in all likelihood going to happen) people are just going to say well no duh that happened. I dont see an angle where he gets blemished at all. If the thing is even somewhat competitive and it looks like a normal Floyd vs any boxer fight, thats a huge win for him. Like others have said, if he somehow knocks him out, he all of a sudden becomes a legend in sports.

Actually I'll take back my previous worst case scenario, worst case scenario is him getting knocked out by Floyd. If that happens then thats a black eye for UFC and MMA. Conor takes kicks and knees to the face, if Floyd who hasnt really knocked anyone out in like a decade knocks him out, doesnt look so good.

Maybe I'm overestimating the damage looking like an amateur will cause but this is the biggest stage he's ever had (and very likely will have) and he's going to get embarrassed. And I think the possibility of him becoming a national punchline is very much within the realm of possibility. On August 28th all the sports shows are going to be talking about this and they're going to be laughing at him, I wouldn't be surprised if some late night comedians threw some jokes his way.

I do think Floyd is going to KO him. I expect to see Floyd toy with him for the first few rounds and then sometime in round 5-7 he'll finish the job.

I find it very hard that he gets knocked out. Hes never been knocked out in MMA and its much easier to get caught in MMA than boxing. You have to defend leg, body and head kicks, knees and most importantly the takedown to go with punches and he has to deal with all those strikes being landed with much smaller gloves. Plus Floyd isnt a knock out guy, he is a defensive wiz.

I just dont think anyone is going to give him the slightest chance to win so there wont be too many jokes even if he did lose, its what everyone expects to happen.

Yes, but you can't use those examples because he's never had a boxing match and Floyd isn't a knockout guy but that's against high-level, elite boxers. The skills gap between these two is so massive that Floyd can do whatever he wants and he'll be able to KO him anytime he wants.

Its easy to say well he isn't expected to win so there won't be any jokes. But its a whole other thing to watch it and the people making these jokes are not going to be the most sophisticated combat sports fans. They're going to watch a fight where one guy gets his ass kicked. The nuances and mitigating factors of this are irrelevant to them. All they're going to see is one guy get his ass kicked and they're going to laugh at the guy getting his ass kicked.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,877

Post#244 » by Jasen777 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:00 am

safi wrote:Its easy to say well he isn't expected to win so there won't be any jokes. But its a whole other thing to watch it and the people making these jokes are not going to be the most sophisticated combat sports fans. They're going to watch a fight where one guy gets his ass kicked. The nuances and mitigating factors of this are irrelevant to them. All they're going to see is one guy get his ass kicked and they're going to laugh at the guy getting his ass kicked.

I do wonder if they'll be splash-back on MMA from casuals.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,899

Post#245 » by skbucks1985 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:39 am

Jasen777 wrote:
safi wrote:Its easy to say well he isn't expected to win so there won't be any jokes. But its a whole other thing to watch it and the people making these jokes are not going to be the most sophisticated combat sports fans. They're going to watch a fight where one guy gets his ass kicked. The nuances and mitigating factors of this are irrelevant to them. All they're going to see is one guy get his ass kicked and they're going to laugh at the guy getting his ass kicked.

I do wonder if they'll be splash-back on MMA from casuals.

I've heard people, I think Luke Thomas primarily, make the point if the fight transpires the way it most likely will the boxing media may put forth the narrative that MMA fighters are guys that couldn't hack it to become boxers. That's obviously nonsense, but it wouldn't be the first time that a stupid narrative has taken hold. There isn't slated to be a huge MMA fight in the fall and I don't think this will have much splash-back for the core UFC fans, but Ariel has said that he thinks the UFC will try to get Conor for the December 30th show. And if he does fight on that card, I have no idea what this does for his drawing power
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#246 » by Headliner » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:35 am

A lot of people think Conor will ride off into the sunset after this one, but I'm pretty sure that if the UFC isn't afraid to pony up, he'd keep fighting against preferred guys.

If you are offering 20 million, it might be 1/5th of Mayweather, but 20 million is still a ton of money. It will be interesting, and i'll be interested to see how much money they throw at him for another fight.

As well...If he somehow does win, then his next fight is obviously Pac in another boxing match for 100 million again lol.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#247 » by Susan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Honestly, good on Conor for going out there and testing himself against one of the greatest of all time in a completely different sport.

Pretty cool to see him transcend sport.
Susan
RealGM

Post#248 » by Susan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:19 pm

At the end of the last press conference, they announced that Conor has asked for Khabib in Russia.

Please make weight Khabib and don't get hurt.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,716

Post#249 » by NZB2323 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 pm

After McGregor loses he'll challenge Mayweather to a kickboxing match and they'll both make more money.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#250 » by REDDzone » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Susan wrote:At the end of the last press conference, they announced that Conor has asked for Khabib in Russia.

Ariel doesn't think that ever happened, and he's usually spot on with all this. So I'd take that with a huge grain of salt.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM

Post#251 » by Susan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:28 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:At the end of the last press conference, they announced that Conor has asked for Khabib in Russia.

Ariel doesn't think that ever happened, and he's usually spot on with all this. So I'd take that with a huge grain of salt.

Read on Twitter
Susan
RealGM

Post#252 » by Susan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Honestly his rise is one of the most unique things in sport. What an accession.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#253 » by Jasen777 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:45 am

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#254 » by Bernman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:08 am

The GOAT can even make the most uninteresting major MMA event in history interesting.

In all seriousness, the success is going to his head. He thinks he's untouchable and can touch whoever he wants, like it's emerging these days many in showbiz believe.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#255 » by High 5 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:27 pm

For all of his embarrassing antics, this is on another level. Storming the cage like that to celebrate is already crossing a line IMO, but fighting with the ref who is trying to restore some order and then interfering with a fighter who looks to be barely conscious is indefensible.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#256 » by Bernman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Marc Goddard's biggest fan posts here. He can't be happy about this.

I'm surprised by the lack of response it's getting here.

High 5 wrote:For all of his embarrassing antics, this is on another level. Storming the cage like that to celebrate is already crossing a line IMO, but fighting with the ref who is trying to restore some order and then interfering with a fighter who looks to be barely conscious is indefensible.

They didn't even show the part where he jumped back onto the cage lip and when the official tried to push him off he slapped the taste out of his mouth.

"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#257 » by Jasen777 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Read on Twitter
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#258 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:56 am

Wow, I pretty much went from Conor hater to defender back to hater. What a scumbag.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#259 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:18 am

Nothing different for me. Never liked Conor and his gimmicky antics, and Marc Goddard is the best ref in MMA. Hard to disagree with him and the commission.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#260 » by Headliner » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Unbelievable.
I like Conor, but I found during the Mayweather hype I was starting to sour. The whole black from the waist down is juvenile 13 yr old kid crap, that I heard 20 years ago. This whole circus is just rediculous, and he should be fined at the very least, or suspended.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts