ImageImageImageImageImage

Preliminary Look At +/-: Why Kanter Needs To Be Benched

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,861

Re: Preliminary Look At +/-: Why Kanter Needs To Be Benched 

Post#281 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Nov 6, 2017 11:11 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:QUESTION: Did his OKC teammates push Kanter to play proper defense or was it just OKC coaching staff benching him for not playing it well?

Our guys are getting in his face when he messes up. That could be a huge difference in how he improves his D. That and him learning to be vocal on defense.

Really no way to truly know, what is known is he is certainly giving an effort on that side of the ball now.

But there is a difference in playing in the early parts of a rebuilding season and playing in the 2nd round or more in the playoffs.

Kanter fits what we're doing, all that matters to me.

I agree. If he didn't fit these wins don't happen. There's plenty of time for further evaluation anyway.
ImageImageImage
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#282 » by Kinglee » Mon Nov 6, 2017 11:12 pm

The guy is grabbing every rebound in the paint and dominating downlow. He’s bad on defense, but KP is great on defense.’KP isn’t a great rebounder, but Kanter is a great rebounder. They compliment each other well and are causing havoc.

Every second y’all have to bash a player. Like damn, we not winning a championship, but we are competitive every game and these two have been by far the best players with the rookie and THJ now coming along. Just let **** be
falcon107
Junior
And1: 20

Post#283 » by falcon107 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:41 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
falcon107 wrote:
boomann21 wrote:That was a good trade. Enes Kanter is exactly the type of player and personality KP needs next to him in the trenches. If he starts to finish consistently around the rim the world better watch out.

He almost always finishes consistently around the rim. Always from Utah to OKC and now in NYK, when he was given the ball and minutes. The problem is his defense, was always his defense.

He's also afraid to take mini jumpers, thus clogging the lane for KP, he is a black hole once he starts to make his move in the post, and he can only finish with his right hand also - he missed 3 layups last night because he wanted to use his right instead of the easier one with the left.

His defense is horrible, but he's got issues on offense too.

Of course he has issues on offense too. Who doesn't? But his offense deserves respect I believe. His shooting percentage is really high, and we cannot say that it is high because he played against reserves. It was the case in OKC, but not in NYK. And he now does assists 2 or 3 per game. Not really high, but he is a center, and at least it shows that he is trying.
Yes for the game he plays you may say he is expensive. But I saw worse contracts, I can name one in NYK. Bu if he was paid half that amount, you may now be saying how cheap he is.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,556

Post#284 » by ctorres » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:57 pm

Those of you who feel Kanter is as terrible for a player as he is for the Knicks should start figuring out ways for the Knicks to get rid of him. Just discussing him on this forum is not going to do the trick. Maybe write a letter to Steve Mills, Scott Perry, or Jeff Hornacek? Get in contact with James Dolan?

Maybe YouTube videos that are in opposition of that Knicks Film School video that just made Kanter look good (which he tweeted)?

Do something. If you are legitimately convinced that Kanter is absolutely terrible for this team and you have overwhelming evidence to back it up, then it's time for you to take the next step.

That way, we could brush the Kanter discussion aside and move on to the next order of business for this forum, whatever that is.
cayuck
Junior
And1: 262

Post#285 » by cayuck » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:05 pm

Just from reading through this thread, the posters who dislike Kanter and want him benched definitely had preconceived opinions of him and refuse to move from those positions, regardless of what he does on the court.

The posters who are viewing Kanter objectively, even if they disliked his game in the past, are seeing the positives he brings and understand his role on the team.

If Kanter was a totally unknown quantity before he came here, not only would this not be a thread, but people would be screaming about more minutes and a possible all star appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#286 » by NYKAL » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:14 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
falcon107 wrote:He almost always finishes consistently around the rim. Always from Utah to OKC and now in NYK, when he was given the ball and minutes. The problem is his defense, was always his defense.

He's also afraid to take mini jumpers, thus clogging the lane for KP, he is a black hole once he starts to make his move in the post, and he can only finish with his right hand also - he missed 3 layups last night because he wanted to use his right instead of the easier one with the left.

His defense is horrible, but he's got issues on offense too.

First u said he has no range and clogs the paint, now he doesn’t take enough jumpers and he’s clogging the paint. No mention of the amount of extra possessions he gets us by being in the paint. Can really tell how ineffective Kanter made KP last night when he was dropping 40.

Arguably Kanters worst defensive game of the season, but Indiana is talented. Kanter also made good defensive plays in this game despite also having a few mishaps. He pulled down 18 boards and played hard and fought for rebounds against a god rebounding team. O’Quinn also had troubles with their bigs, why isn’t he being called out?

I think there is a reason Kanter isn’t taking many jumpers. Kanter also has been passing better also. I just don’t see the reason for the Kanter hate other then his contract and people butt hurt over Willy not getting minutes.

and this is BS about him clogging the paint. He isn't getting in Kristaps way OR anyone who cuts or drives to the bucket. So few players know how to box out or position themselves to rebound I'm wondering if guys here understand it too. Dude is where he needs and should be down there. Those extra possessions are huge.

also, its clear that Kanter likley has been told not to shoot from range. Dude had 3pt range in Utah. We have enough going down on the wings, we need someone who will make opposing centers work AND keep bigs from doubling KP.

KP has constantly had smalls on him....WHY...cause the BIGS can't leave Kanter.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#287 » by NYKAL » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:16 pm

needs a 2nd mention: KP has constantly had smalls on him....WHY...cause the BIGS can't leave Kanter.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#288 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:38 pm

cayuck wrote:Just from reading through this thread, the posters who dislike Kanter and want him benched definitely had preconceived opinions of him and refuse to move from those positions, regardless of what he does on the court.

The posters who are viewing Kanter objectively, even if they disliked his game in the past, are seeing the positives he brings and understand his role on the team.

If Kanter was a totally unknown quantity before he came here, not only would this not be a thread, but people would be screaming about more minutes and a possible all star appearance.

I agree. If no one had heard of him before, the buzz would now be how the hell did they find this guy?
ImageImageImage
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#289 » by NYKAL » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:52 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
cayuck wrote:Just from reading through this thread, the posters who dislike Kanter and want him benched definitely had preconceived opinions of him and refuse to move from those positions, regardless of what he does on the court.

I agree. If no one had heard of him before, the buzz would now be how the hell did they find this guy?

you guys are talking about me. I new nothing about this guy before he came to NY. All I knew was what I was reading here and as a result, I disliked the trade but, now that I've had a chance to watch him and Dougie, management deserves some props for the return. Not only is is not putrid, but it might turn out to be the best trade the Knicks have made in about 20years.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#290 » by Sark » Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:02 am

Our guards being able to shoot would do more to unclog the lane than getting rid of Kanter. Hardaway, and Jack have been booty shooting the ball.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#291 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:08 am

NYKAL wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

you guys are talking about me. I new nothing about this guy before he came to NY. All I knew was what I was reading here and as a result, I disliked the trade but, now that I've had a chance to watch him and Dougie, management deserves some props for the return. Not only is is not putrid, but it might turn out to be the best trade the Knicks have made in about 20years.

Whatever happens with the roster going forward, at the very least I think the club got value out of Melo which was a real concern
ImageImageImage
3 Train
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#292 » by 3 Train » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm

The knicks wall made a video response to this thread
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#293 » by Amsterdam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:05 pm

3 Train wrote:The knicks wall made a video response to this thread

At the .15 mark, the guard putting a pick on Kanter almost landed on a fan's lap.. :D
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Post#294 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 pm

KP is doing much better here already, right?
Slicin N Dicin
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#295 » by Slicin N Dicin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:09 pm

KP + Kanter is a pretty damn good fit. Kanter seems to understand he needs to step up on defense and the team makes no effort to hide that from him - as long as he puts in the effort, can't complain.
BaF 1.0 - Bucks: Inaugural BaF Champs 2018

It's Been Real BaF!

Check out the No Blood No Foul Podcast below with your boys from Real GM:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#296 » by NYKnickerbocker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 pm

disliked him at first cause of the horrible defense. those early lobs he allowed were just so **** terrible. He seems to be putting in alot of effort to stay somewhat passable on D. he still **** up sometimes, but every player **** up. He's basically a bucket when u get him the ball in the low post and gets us many second chances

And people saying he clogs the paint for KP need to stop. KP still averaging 30 on elite %. ive come around to like Kanter as long as he continues to give the strong effort to not be horrid on D. he can stay, at least until willy gets his manhood back
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#297 » by DrKnick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:35 pm

That Melo trade is starting to look good on our side of the trade. Even got a temp-serviciable SG/SF of Douggie McBuckets doing work.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Re: RE: Re: Preliminary Look At +/-: Why Kanter Needs To Be Benched 

Post#298 » by seren » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:07 pm

DrKnick wrote:That Melo trade is starting to look good on our side of the trade. Even got a temp-serviciable SG/SF of Douggie McBuckets doing work.

Temp? I am thinking we should extend Doug. I don't care about Kanter at all.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#299 » by blueNorange » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 pm

wait but someone and his blog says otherwise ... :laugh:
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#300 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:17 pm

LOL Dude plays great D and the +/- is -8

An exemplary example of how stats don't represent facts when you know what you're watching.
:beer: RIP mags

Return to New York Knicks