ImageImageImageImageImage

FrankFROOTERS Unite! - Frank Hype Thread #2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Re: FrankFROOTERS Unite! - Frank Hype Thread #2 

Post#1821 » by KnickFan33 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm trying to determine which would benefit Frank more. Driving more to the basket? Or just taking the open looks that are given to him? I'm leaning towards the latter.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#1822 » by taj2133 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:11 pm

he needs to get better offensively he was too scared to shoot last night
Slicin N Dicin
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#1823 » by Slicin N Dicin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:28 pm

He needs to take those open pull-up J's that are available to him. That can open up his drives more.

He's young though - he'll learn and take advantage of those opportunities soon enough.
BaF 1.0 - Bucks: Inaugural BaF Champs 2018

It's Been Real BaF!

Check out the No Blood No Foul Podcast below with your boys from Real GM:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#1824 » by Tron Carter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:30 pm

kinda ot but kinda relevant :devil:

Read on Twitter

check the sig
R.I.P Black Mamba
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 15,966

Post#1825 » by Wolfgang630 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Frank needs to follow in Kahwai's footsteps. Great defensive player who builds a great offensive game.
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#1826 » by DrKnick » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 pm

**** Dennnis Smith, Jr. Son going to be injured soon enough based on his playing style.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,846

Post#1827 » by robillionaire » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 pm

So Frank is 1st in the NBA in steals per 48 mins, by a wide margin. He averages 4.67 steals per 48 mins. (2nd place is Tim Frazier with 3.66 SP48)

1st in the NBA in steals per game out of all PGs

3rd overall in steals per game. The two players above him (Paul George and Kent Bazemore) play significantly more minutes.
Toranaga
Rookie
And1: 845

Post#1828 » by Toranaga » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm

robillionaire wrote:So Frank is 1st in the NBA in steals per 48 mins, by a wide margin. He averages 4.67 steals per 48 mins. (2nd place is Tim Frazier with 3.66 SP48)

3rd overall in steals per game. The two players above him (Paul George and Kent Bazemore) play significantly more minutes.

20.5 MPG and 3rd in the league in steals per game. That's absurd.
Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#1829 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:31 pm

_NYK_ wrote:
robillionaire wrote:So Frank is 1st in the NBA in steals per 48 mins, by a wide margin. He averages 4.67 steals per 48 mins. (2nd place is Tim Frazier with 3.66 SP48)

How many fouls does he average?
Toranaga
Rookie
And1: 845

Post#1830 » by Toranaga » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
_NYK_ wrote:

Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#1831 » by Rotten Apple » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:35 pm

_NYK_ wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
_NYK_ wrote:

Wow. It’s rare young guys play great defense without fouling, let alone during the first season.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#1832 » by poeman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Its literally watching Kawhi's breed come to life in the form of the French Prince.

I hope he mentally takes the offensive challenge as time goes by. I'd rather he score at low amounts then constantly take bad shots after bad shots
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#1833 » by SmoothLefty21 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:50 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:I'm trying to determine which would benefit Frank more. Driving more to the basket? Or just taking the open looks that are given to him? I'm leaning towards the latter.

This is not meant as a harsh criticism because he's 19 years old and he'll be fine long term but he has to look for his shot when driving. You cannot turn the corner in a PnR and already have it made up in your mind that you're going to pass. You just can't do it. You can look for your shot and then adjust to pass - it's nearly impossible to do it the other way around. Every guard is (or should be) taught this. Your rhythm isn't there, nor is your focus, to go from pass-to-shot.

He's had a few plays where he's passed up a layup, never looking at the rim, to make a difficult pass or a pass for a more difficult shot. Again, he's 19 and he'll be fine once he figures this out. It's amazing that he's averaging 8 dimes per 36 without being overly aggressive. He's going to be a problem when he's aggressively attacking in a couple years.
KnickFan33
Veteran

Post#1834 » by KnickFan33 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:11 pm

SmoothLefty21 wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:I'm trying to determine which would benefit Frank more. Driving more to the basket? Or just taking the open looks that are given to him? I'm leaning towards the latter.

This is not meant as a harsh criticism because he's 19 years old and he'll be fine long term but he has to look for his shot when driving. You cannot turn the corner in a PnR and already have it made up in your mind that you're going to pass. You just can't do it. You can look for your shot and then adjust to pass - it's nearly impossible to do it the other way around. Every guard is (or should be) taught this. Your rhythm isn't there, nor is your focus, to go from pass-to-shot.

He's had a few plays where he's passed up a layup, never looking at the rim, to make a difficult pass or a pass for a more difficult shot. Again, he's 19 and he'll be fine once he figures this out. It's amazing that he's averaging 8 dimes per 36 without being overly aggressive. He's going to be a problem when he's aggressively attacking in a couple years.

I'm not sure I agree. I'd much rather have a pass first point guard than a score first point guard.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,351

Post#1835 » by F N 11 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Get better young guy. F the haters.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1836 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
SmoothLefty21 wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. I'd much rather have a pass first point guard than a score first point guard.

I don't think he's saying that Frank should become a score first point guard - just that he cannot be running PnR only looking to pass. Frank looks off open shots / ability to turn the corner in order to hit the roll guy (or a flasher), but when the defense recognizes this and start to play him for the pass (by backing off more and sinking), his ability to be effective running the PnR will diminish.

Basically, don't make a decision to pass or shoot before the play unfolds - supposed to be reading and reacting. Frank needs to be aggressive in looking for his shot to make the defense respect his willingness to shoot and keep the passing lanes open.
KnickFan33
Veteran

Post#1837 » by KnickFan33 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
SmoothLefty21 wrote:

I don't think he's saying that Frank should become a score first point guard - just that he cannot be running PnR only looking to pass. Frank looks off open shots / ability to turn the corner in order to hit the roll guy (or a flasher), but when the defense recognizes this and start to play him for the pass (by backing off more and sinking), his ability to be effective running the PnR will diminish.

Basically, don't make a decision to pass or shoot before the play unfolds - supposed to be reading and reacting. Frank needs to be aggressive in looking for his shot to make the defense respect his willingness to shoot and keep the passing lanes open.

This is more the point I'm getting at. There's a difference between reading/reacting and looking to score then working off that.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1838 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:21 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:

This is more the point I'm getting at. There's a difference between reading/reacting and looking to score then working off that.

I think that's what everyone is saying - SmoothLefty even said "You cannot turn the corner in a PnR and already have it made up in your mind that you're going to pass." Right now, Frank is being too passive in looking for opportunities to score and appears to have made his decision to pass at the onset of the PnR action. He has open looks, or open opportunities, but isn't taking them. For example, yesterday or the game before (forgot which one), he ran a left-side PnR and got all the way to the rim (was fouled) but kept looking to pass the entire way down...even though he had the open lane - he only threw it up at the rim at the last second to draw the foul, which was nice, but the pre-determined decision / unwillingness to shoot isn't good.

I understand he's a 19y/o rookie and all that, but he'll have to adjust soon before defenses start taking away the pass and begin essentially forcing him to shoot.
Moose
Analyst
And1: 1,299

Post#1839 » by Moose » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:24 pm

The Cavs played off of him last night. He had some open looks from three. if he can set and shoot, he should go for it. Practice and time. I think if he develops a strong three ball, he will become a solid starter. And then we will see where the rest of his game goes.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#1840 » by EchelonNYK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Asking for a NBA player to shoot. Yeah, i'm not going to be screaming that all season. It's mind boggling that we are even demanding such a thing

He's either not confident with his shot or the coaches are telling him to be more of a distributor/defender.

Return to New York Knicks