ImageImageImageImageImage

FrankFROOTERS Unite! - Frank Hype Thread #2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,352

Re: FrankFROOTERS Unite! - Frank Hype Thread #2 

Post#1841 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:37 pm

R-E-L-A-X
Knickerbock
Sixth Man
And1: 897

Post#1842 » by Knickerbock » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Not taking open shots when presented is a very good problem to have...

What..? Coaches simply need to yell at him... bring him into the film room couple times...Point it out at practice... and problem solved...

Id like to see teams try and teach their point guards how to change their ball hog/score first mentality and teach them how to play defense..... LOL Goodluck
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#1843 » by SmoothLefty21 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
SmoothLefty21 wrote:
This is not meant as a harsh criticism because he's 19 years old and he'll be fine long term but he has to look for his shot when driving. You cannot turn the corner in a PnR and already have it made up in your mind that you're going to pass. You just can't do it. You can look for your shot and then adjust to pass - it's nearly impossible to do it the other way around. Every guard is (or should be) taught this. Your rhythm isn't there, nor is your focus, to go from pass-to-shot.

He's had a few plays where he's passed up a layup, never looking at the rim, to make a difficult pass or a pass for a more difficult shot. Again, he's 19 and he'll be fine once he figures this out. It's amazing that he's averaging 8 dimes per 36 without being overly aggressive. He's going to be a problem when he's aggressively attacking in a couple years.

I'm not sure I agree. I'd much rather have a pass first point guard than a score first point guard.

I don't think he's saying that Frank should become a score first point guard - just that he cannot be running PnR only looking to pass. Frank looks off open shots / ability to turn the corner in order to hit the roll guy (or a flasher), but when the defense recognizes this and start to play him for the pass (by backing off more and sinking), his ability to be effective running the PnR will diminish.

Basically, don't make a decision to pass or shoot before the play unfolds - supposed to be reading and reacting. Frank needs to be aggressive in looking for his shot to make the defense respect his willingness to shoot and keep the passing lanes open.

Yep, exactly. I want him to stay a pass-first point guard and not force shots (and I'm 99% sure he'll always be that kind of player) but there comes a point where it's bad basketball to turn down certain shots (layups). There was one play where he had an open layup and instead tried a wrap-around pass to KOQ who got blocked. You have to take what the defense gives you, especially when it's a layup. Be aggressive and at least look at the rim if you've got space and an open lane. That's all I'm saying. Most of the time he comes clean off a PnR he's looking behind him to see where the roller is. You have to at least look at the rim and see if you've got an open layup.
Appleshampoo
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#1844 » by Appleshampoo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm

He has the space to shoot open mid range jumpers a good amount and just hesitates with it. Jack is effective at times cause he takes that shot whereas Frank has the ability to make it but does not try. A few times late in the game where the offense completely seemed to stall due to it. Kid looks composed enough and got to love the attitude, but score more! The mid range J was one of the best things on the scouting report.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1845 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
SmoothLefty21 wrote:
This is not meant as a harsh criticism because he's 19 years old and he'll be fine long term but he has to look for his shot when driving. You cannot turn the corner in a PnR and already have it made up in your mind that you're going to pass. You just can't do it. You can look for your shot and then adjust to pass - it's nearly impossible to do it the other way around. Every guard is (or should be) taught this. Your rhythm isn't there, nor is your focus, to go from pass-to-shot.

He's had a few plays where he's passed up a layup, never looking at the rim, to make a difficult pass or a pass for a more difficult shot. Again, he's 19 and he'll be fine once he figures this out. It's amazing that he's averaging 8 dimes per 36 without being overly aggressive. He's going to be a problem when he's aggressively attacking in a couple years.

I'm not sure I agree. I'd much rather have a pass first point guard than a score first point guard.

I don't think he's saying that Frank should become a score first point guard - just that he cannot be running PnR only looking to pass. Frank looks off open shots / ability to turn the corner in order to hit the roll guy (or a flasher), but when the defense recognizes this and start to play him for the pass (by backing off more and sinking), his ability to be effective running the PnR will diminish.

Basically, don't make a decision to pass or shoot before the play unfolds - supposed to be reading and reacting. Frank needs to be aggressive in looking for his shot to make the defense respect his willingness to shoot and keep the passing lanes open.

Its amazing how people can't properly grasp what people say towards Frank in many cases. This fan base is so damn sensitive its ridiculous. You say one thing, and they see something totally different than what you said, just to defend a point you not even making.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#1846 » by KnickFan33 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:37 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:

Its amazing how people can't properly grasp what people say towards Frank in many cases. This fan base is so damn sensitive its ridiculous. You say one thing, and they see something totally different than what you said, just to defend a point you not even making.

Not sure if directed at me. But it's whatever. If I misunderstood, I misunderstood. Thank you for being kind enough to point that out.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1847 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:40 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Not sure if directed at me. But it's whatever. If I misunderstood, I misunderstood. Thank you for being kind enough to point that out.

Not personally at you, but in general. I think some fans cant accept our players being critiqued.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#1848 » by Fury » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Not personally at you, but in general. I think some fans cant accept our players being critiqued. Same goes for KP.

I don't understand how anyone can think he's not hesitating. Frank needs to take a good look at Jarrett Jack. While Jack can't do what he did before, more times than not he knows when to pull up for the mid range. Frank needs to pull up for that mid range way more than he's been doing. If KP didn't get fouled on that play, I think he was about to drain a jumper but held the shot back, not understanding the rules. Wish he let it go, it was a big moment before KP missed two FTs
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#1849 » by Fury » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:R-E-L-A-X

You're lucky you didn't watch.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1850 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Fury wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:

Not personally at you, but in general. I think some fans cant accept our players being critiqued. Same goes for KP.

I don't understand how anyone can think he's not hesitating. Frank needs to take a good look at Jarrett Jack. While Jack can't do what he did before, more times than not he knows when to pull up for the mid range. Frank needs to pull up for that mid range way more than he's been doing. If KP didn't get fouled on that play, I think he was about to drain a jumper but held the shot back, not understanding the rules. Wish he let it go, it was a big moment before KP missed two FTs

A lot don't. They have too many reasons for him why he SHOULD be Hesitating, or not attempting to score. If you say that. The next word is...you asking him to be Allen Iverson... :lol:
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,607

Post#1851 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 pm

someone said im trying to make frank like dsjr because i want him to take some shots :lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,638

Post#1852 » by mpharris36 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:someone said im trying to make frank like dsjr because i want him to take some shots :lol:

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,607

Post#1853 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:59 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:someone said im trying to make frank like dsjr because i want him to take some shots :lol:

:lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#1854 » by Fat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:03 pm

DrKnick wrote:**** Dennnis Smith, Jr. Son going to be injured soon enough based on his playing style.

oh my
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1855 » by mpharris36 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 pm

I think the hesitating is obvious to everyone. I think the difference is some are asking him to do things he isn't comfortable doing yet. Point guard is the hardest position to play in the NBA and takes time to learn the nuances...some never do. I would certainly would rather have frank leaning more pass heavy and then over time learn to know when to pick his spots when he gets more comfortable.

ROSTER

IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1856 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 pm

mpharris36 wrote:I think the hesitating is obvious to everyone. I think the difference is some are asking him to do things he isn't comfortable doing yet. Point guard is the hardest position to play in the NBA and takes time to learn the nuances...some never do. I would certainly would rather have frank leaning more pass heavy and then over time learn to know when to pick his spots when he gets more comfortable.

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1857 » by mpharris36 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:10 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:I think the hesitating is obvious to everyone. I think the difference is some are asking him to do things he isn't comfortable doing yet. Point guard is the hardest position to play in the NBA and takes time to learn the nuances...some never do. I would certainly would rather have frank leaning more pass heavy and then over time learn to know when to pick his spots when he gets more comfortable.

I don't think there's anywhere to go at the moment. He's tentative in terms of scoring, that was built in him years and year overseas as "team basketball first". He doesn't have the same AAU mentality...he will get there when he gets there.

It's a fair criticism...if he wasn't raw on offense he sure as hell wouldn't have been picked at #8...the key is to mold him. I'm comfortable being patient. There is no rush at the moment.

ROSTER

IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1858 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:13 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

I don't think there's anywhere to go at the moment. He's tentative in terms of scoring, that was built in him years and year overseas as "team basketball first". He doesn't have the same AAU mentality...he will get there when he gets there.

It's a fair criticism...if he wasn't raw on offense he sure as hell wouldn't have been picked at #8...the key is to mold him. I'm comfortable being patient. There is no rush at the moment.

taking a Jump shot is something that he is not comfortable with?

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#1859 » by DOT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:17 pm

I'm not too worried about Frank's offense. It'll come along, just like how none of us thought KP would be this aggressive

But his defense has just been ridiculous, way better than I hoped from him
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1860 » by mpharris36 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:24 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

taking a Jump shot is something that he is not comfortable with?

when he's playing with talented offensive players like KP, Kanter, THjr, McDermot?

yeah I could see him being a little less comfortable if say he misses a shot or two from the perimeter like he did last night. Then he might shy away from taking another when he knows he can try to set up one of his other talented offensive players.

It seems to me, and I'm sure most, he has natural playmaking skills and the scoring side he might have to force internally a little until he gets comfortable making that shot consistently.

I have no doubt if Frank came out in a game and drilled his first couple from the outside he would def put up those open shots he passed up last night. I just think he's fighting with himself because he has such a team mentality that if he misses his first couple from the perimeter he probably gets a bit gun shy. We have to remember the kid just turned 19, he comes off as a cool, calm, collected teenager...but he's still a teenager and I think he's super confident in every aspect of is game outside of scoring the basketball at this point.

ROSTER

Return to New York Knicks