ImageImageImageImageImage

This isn't a playoff team

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Re: This isn't a playoff team 

Post#121 » by CharlesOakley » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:37 pm

The truth IMO is that we don't know if this is a playoff team or not. Is KP the instant 30 ppg player or is he going to have 30 games like the last one? Can we find enough help at pg to keep Jack off the court? Are there trades that can help us in the future and improve us this season?

Claiming this isn't a playoff team this early in the season after a pretty good start seems just as short-sighted as claiming we are definitely going to the playoffs.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#122 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Red Vines wrote:
I think a top 10 pick can get you the second best, maybe our preferred, SF in the draft which I expect we'll target. Bigs and PGs are more coveted. Kuzma went 27th, our scouts will find a player.

Wasn't Donovan Mitchell taken in the later part of the first round. I also like OG Anunoby and he was picked late too, wasn't he?

14th I think. There's always good players to be found.

Exactly. Which is why a team doesn't tank this early in the season. Ever. You let the chips fall where they may until it's clear that the team can't make the playoffs. Then you tank.

That's proper tank protocol right out of The Official NBA Tanking Manual.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,173

Post#123 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:05 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Wasn't Donovan Mitchell taken in the later part of the first round. I also like OG Anunoby and he was picked late too, wasn't he?

Exactly. Which is why a team doesn't tank this early in the season. Ever. You let the chips fall where they may until it's clear that the team can't make the playoffs. Then you tank.

Agreed. I joked with a tanking gif in the PG thread, but it is still not time to throw in the towel.

It is not just KP's condition though.

I need to see this team show it knows how to play together with some consistency. I look for that more on defense than offense and the D is very erratic. So without a more consistent team defense this is not a playoff team regardless of other factors going well.

Your avatar is so scary!
ImageImageImage
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#124 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:10 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Agreed. I joked with a tanking gif in the PG thread, but it is still not time to throw in the towel.

I need to see this team show it knows how to play together with some consistency. I look for that more on defense than offense and the D is very erratic. So without a more consistent team defense this is not a playoff team regardless of other factors going well.

Your avatar is so scary!

Yes, it is. And it's difficult to stop looking at it, isn't it? :lol:

True about the defense. But, we've seen some encouraging signs that they're beginning to "get it." So my expectation is that we're going to get better at it as the season progresses. :pray:
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#125 » by Ignitowsky » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 am

It's going to be win win. If we make the playoffs it will be a great sign for our future and will mean that the young kids are growing and getting better. If we don't make the playoffs we're in the lottery. All I want to see is for us to play hard every game on both ends of the floor. After that let the chips fall where they may.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,173

Post#126 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:07 am

Ignitowsky wrote:It's going to be win win. If we make the playoffs it will be a great sign for our future and will mean that the young kids are growing and getting better. If we don't make the playoffs we're in the lottery. All I want to see is for us to play hard every game on both ends of the floor. After that let the chips fall where they may.

Yeah, prove that the culture has changed by playing unselfishly, having your teammates backs and leaving it all on the floor, win or lose
ImageImageImage
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,382

Post#127 » by JXL » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:28 pm

So what?

The rose-colored glasses y'all were wearing has messed with your brains. Everyone and my mom knows this isn't a playoff team. That's just confidence talk that KP was harping on. If this team had ½ the talent and experience of, say, the Warriors, then they would definitely be a playoff team. This is the first rock laid for the foundation, and the second rock has to come, then the third, then etc.

You have to build on the foundation to complete your goal. Don't half-ass this (like the last 3 regimes did).
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#128 » by dakomish23 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:32 pm

When a guy goes nuclear, any team has a chance for the win. KP has been playing at a top 5 level this year and he’s snatched a lot of W’s that should of been L’s.

Whether we won or lost was never a concern. All I cared about was the progress of the youth. Play the kids and live with the results because a. They’re the future so maximize their development, which includes live games not just practices and b. They’re better than the vets ahead of them. It’s not a surprise that the majority of our W’s came because of big games from the youth.

Frank Baker
THJ Dotson
MCD
KP
KOQ WHG

These 7 need to see 150 minutes. Everyone else can waive towels.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#129 » by Mecca » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 pm

JXL wrote:So what?

The rose-colored glasses y'all were wearing has messed with your brains. Everyone and my mom knows this isn't a playoff team. That's just confidence talk that KP was harping on. If this team had ½ the talent and experience of, say, the Warriors, then they would definitely be a playoff team. This is the first rock laid for the foundation, and the second rock has to come, then the third, then etc.

You have to build on the foundation to complete your goal. Don't half-ass this (like the last 3 regimes did).

So Melo changed teams and you're a Spurs fan now? lol
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,382

Post#130 » by JXL » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Mecca wrote:

So Melo changed teams and you're a Spurs fan now? lol

LOL I've been liked the Spurs bro. Knicks are my 2nd favorite. Nothing to do with ISO-Melo.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#131 » by blanko » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:51 pm

even if we tried, we couldn't have a top 3 pick.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#132 » by dakomish23 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:42 pm

blanko wrote:

even if we tried, we couldn't have a top 3 pick.

We won’t even be bottom 5 bad so let’s hope the lottery works in our favor
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#133 » by mugzi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:23 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Your avatar is so scary!

Yes, it is. And it's difficult to stop looking at it, isn't it? :lol:

True about the defense. But, we've seen some encouraging signs that they're beginning to "get it." So my expectation is that we're going to get better at it as the season progresses. :pray:

Super jello of that avatar. Definitely a top 5 all time. Well done.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
Houston99
Analyst
And1: 408

Post#134 » by Houston99 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:21 am

I wanted to this team to tank at first but now I don't feel the same way. I want this team to try to win games. I see a lot of potential. We have a good group of young guys who we can build around the future.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,953

Post#135 » by Capn'O » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:32 am

It might be a playoff team.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#136 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:34 am

It's the east. So any team that knows how to lace up their sneakers could be a playoff team.

And whether this is a playoff team this season or not is nowhere near the point. The Knicks have what looks like a bobafide superstar that other elite players will want to play with, a solid coach, and a front office that is finally tired of being a laughingstock.

This season? Really, who gives a shyt? The thing to watch is the development of KP, Frank, WHG & THJ. Does their growth equal playoffs? Maybe. Maybe not. What it does mean is that for the first time in the 21st century, the Knicks' future looks better than their present.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,455

Post#137 » by TheGreenArrow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:37 am

Capn'O wrote:It might be a playoff team.

C'mon cap you forgot to use green font.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,953

Post#138 » by Capn'O » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:13 am

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Capn'O wrote:It might be a playoff team.

C'mon cap you forgot to use green font.

If they can keep beating up on the bad teams, split with the middling teams, and mostly lose to the good teams that gets you to .500 and a legit shot at the 7-8 seed.

I don't know if they'll keep it up or fall back. December is pretty light and even the big road swing has some potential Ws.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 15,965

Post#139 » by Wolfgang630 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:30 am

We might have a slight chance at the 8 seed. The road games are killing us though. We have to win some.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,858

Post#140 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 am

Yeah,I'm not convinced we are a playoff team either, to be honest. This is a growth year, and it's too late to tank because KP is too good. Having him alone guarantees the team about 33 wins.

However, during that 20 game stretch, we play a lot of bad teams on the road. Those are game we should win. So even though the schedule is road heavy, there's no reason to think we can't win a decent share of those games.

this season should be more about letting Frank grow, developing a defensive mindset, building chemistry, and,most importantly, deciding who is a piece for the next great Knicks team and who is just stopping in for a coffee.

I think in the end we will end up with about 35 wins, and pick somewhere in the 13 range. Not the worst spot to be. Plus we have the OKC 2nd rounder.

Honestly, with a core of Frank/Lance/KP/Noah, I think we can field a very tough defensive unit for long stretches of games. With a legit point guard in the rotation, the team could really be improved. I'd love to see us get a young, long-term solution at that position. My thoughts on Frank are known, and I think he's gonna be a very good player, but I don't think he's our solution as a primary playmaker....we really need someone who can create off the bounce. If there's an opportunity to trade our lotto pick plus a future asset like a 2nd rounder or KOQ for a point guard prospect we like, we should take it.

I wish we had more cap flexibility to take on bad salary from other team's for assets. Noah and Hardaway have somehting to say about that.

Return to New York Knicks