ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#7601 » by xNewYorkMadex » Fri Dec 1, 2017 7:32 pm

If Yankees sign Otani, we have to implement a 6 man rotation. And I feel we are one of the few teams who can implement it and not have it negatively impact the other starters.

I do have my doubts whether he will be successful as a 2 way player in the big leagues. The pitching is much better over here. And i am concerned with injury issues because he bats left handed and pitches right. 1 fastball on the arm and its a big time concern.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#7602 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 1, 2017 8:07 pm

Phish Tank wrote:So these are the 6 candidates:

1) Rob Thomson
2) Eric Wedge
3) Bam Bam Meulens
4) Aaron Boone
5) Chris Woodward
6) Carlos Beltran

I think Wedge and Thomson are not in the picture and were pretty much considered for purposes of joining a coaching staff.

I think Boone is out after the nonsense that happened with his brother.

It's Meulens.

Yanks are going to go for the manager with the Japanese connection. It's part of the plan to get Otani.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#7603 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 1, 2017 8:12 pm

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#7604 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 1, 2017 8:40 pm

Ok. Maybe I'm being a little obnoxious with the Meulens thing, but I'm basing it things I've seen the Yankees do in the past.

I think the Yankees, as an organization, have a lot of faith in their scouting and drafting in terms of the "type" of player that they go for, and that is a player who is a good teammate, solid citizen, mostly self motivated and of course talented. And this has been mostly who they go for.

Anyway, this fits the Showalter out\Torre in scenario. They Yanks back then were confident in the minor league talent they had assembled, in ability and MINDSET, and they wanted to pair a more genial, laid back, but professional manager, who understood NY and NYC. Torre had the Brooklyn upbringing, time with the Mets as manager and most importantly, disposition to manage basically self motivated players. How he handled the Boss was a bonus.
Now, also around this time the Yankees had Gus Williams as a LF/4th outfielder. He was making life miserable for a certain other young Williams. Might have heard of him. First name Bernie. Yanks quickly traded Gus for next to nothing. Point is, when they had a player who could be a little sensitive, but a good guy and talented, they dropped Gus like a hot brick. The Yankees will nurture worthwhile young talent.

I think (bit of a stretch here) that the situation is similar. The thought isn't unique to me - Joel Sherman made this connection and it rings true. This is a team that has a number of solid young leaders - Judge and Gregorius for starters. I think the Yanks are comfortable with the clubhouse and know this team will compete for a while, so they want that more light hearted, but still competitive guy, and I think Meulens fits the bill. He knows NYC from his time in the minors and brief playing career. He doesn't have any managerial experience and isn't an analytics guy, but I think he fits the more modern role of manager as a piece of the puzzle and not almost the whole thing. My own theory is that Sanchez to a degree is Bernie - the talented but somewhat sensitive guy the Yanks didn't want Girardi to ruin, and the Yanks let talent trump each time, as long as the player isn't a sh*thead. I also think Girardi is viewed as stubborn, and looking ahead to Otani didn't want a guy like that to blow up the Otani deal with some sort of "I''m opposed to him hitting" or "Not a fan of 6 man rotations" mess. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Girardi was as wound up as Showalter, but Sherman spoke with pretty strong authority that he's viewed that way, so there must be something to it.

Finally, per the link above:
Meulens speaks spanish. Hmm... Torres, Sanchez etc
Meulens speaks Japanese and played in Japan for 11 years. Tanaka....and Otani?
Meulens coached and managed the Netherlands bball team, where Gregorius played for him when was manager - he speaks Dutch, same as Didi.
He speaks English - so thats the Judge, Frazier etc.

The guy has the ability to communicate in the native languages of the Yankees best domestic and international players and the international player they most hope to land and Meulens had a strong tie to Japanese baseball. Plus as a rookie manager he'd be amenable to the "modern" notion a manager is a piece of organizational puzzle, even on the field, as opposed to "the man".

Connect the dots.

I say Meulens gets announced shortly.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,382

Post#7605 » by JXL » Fri Dec 1, 2017 8:50 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:If Yankees sign Otani, we have to implement a 6 man rotation. And I feel we are one of the few teams who can implement it and not have it negatively impact the other starters.

I do have my doubts whether he will be successful as a 2 way player in the big leagues. The pitching is much better over here. And i am concerned with injury issues because he bats left handed and pitches right. 1 fastball on the arm and its a big time concern.

I think he's one if rare players who can pitch and bat at an average-above average percentage. I think a 6 man rotation isn't out of the question but I feel there will be a 5 man rotation, and the 2nd day he doesn't pitch, he'll be in the DH spot.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager

Post#7606 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sat Dec 2, 2017 12:18 am

Yankees have made a decision on the next manager according to Rosenthal, we just dont know who yet.

Beltran is definitely not one of them, hes reportedly ruled out. Thompson accepted a position with Philadelphia. So its down to 4.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#7607 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Dec 2, 2017 12:52 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Ok. Maybe I'm being a little obnoxious with the Meulens thing, but I'm basing it things I've seen the Yankees do in the past.

I think the Yankees, as an organization, have a lot of faith in their scouting and drafting in terms of the "type" of player that they go for, and that is a player who is a good teammate, solid citizen, mostly self motivated and of course talented. And this has been mostly who they go for.

Anyway, this fits the Showalter out\Torre in scenario. They Yanks back then were confident in the minor league talent they had assembled, in ability and MINDSET, and they wanted to pair a more genial, laid back, but professional manager, who understood NY and NYC. Torre had the Brooklyn upbringing, time with the Mets as manager and most importantly, disposition to manage basically self motivated players. How he handled the Boss was a bonus.
Now, also around this time the Yankees had Gus Williams as a LF/4th outfielder. He was making life miserable for a certain other young Williams. Might have heard of him. First name Bernie. Yanks quickly traded Gus for next to nothing. Point is, when they had a player who could be a little sensitive, but a good guy and talented, they dropped Gus like a hot brick. The Yankees will nurture worthwhile young talent.

I think (bit of a stretch here) that the situation is similar. The thought isn't unique to me - Joel Sherman made this connection and it rings true. This is a team that has a number of solid young leaders - Judge and Gregorius for starters. I think the Yanks are comfortable with the clubhouse and know this team will compete for a while, so they want that more light hearted, but still competitive guy, and I think Meulens fits the bill. He knows NYC from his time in the minors and brief playing career. He doesn't have any managerial experience and isn't an analytics guy, but I think he fits the more modern role of manager as a piece of the puzzle and not almost the whole thing. My own theory is that Sanchez to a degree is Bernie - the talented but somewhat sensitive guy the Yanks didn't want Girardi to ruin, and the Yanks let talent trump each time, as long as the player isn't a sh*thead. I also think Girardi is viewed as stubborn, and looking ahead to Otani didn't want a guy like that to blow up the Otani deal with some sort of "I''m opposed to him hitting" or "Not a fan of 6 man rotations" mess. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Girardi was as wound up as Showalter, but Sherman spoke with pretty strong authority that he's viewed that way, so there must be something to it.

Finally, per the link above:
Meulens speaks spanish. Hmm... Torres, Sanchez etc
Meulens speaks Japanese and played in Japan for 11 years. Tanaka....and Otani?
Meulens coached and managed the Netherlands bball team, where Gregorius played for him when was manager - he speaks Dutch, same as Didi.
He speaks English - so thats the Judge, Frazier etc.

The guy has the ability to communicate in the native languages of the Yankees best domestic and international players and the international player they most hope to land and Meulens had a strong tie to Japanese baseball. Plus as a rookie manager he'd be amenable to the "modern" notion a manager is a piece of organizational puzzle, even on the field, as opposed to "the man".

Connect the dots.

I say Meulens gets announced shortly.

I think Meulens will be the manager as well.

Still think firing Girardi was a mistake and I think comparing him to Showalter when Showalter was manager here is a bit OD. First it was a different time most managers were still a bit old school and mean and no I don't think Girardi is that type of manager either. He's a bit of both the old school type and the new. Girardi is a really smart guy (BS in engineering) although he is stubborn but I don't think analytics would have been a deal breaker. BTW Showalter adapted and has had success working with young player's in Baltimore.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7608 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:19 am

Meh they went with Boone. This blows
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,352

Post#7609 » by F N 11 » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:19 am

Welcome Aaron Boone. That's crazy. Interested to see his demeanor.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7610 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:23 am

I don't like hiring dudes that haven't at least been a bench coach. I hate this hire. At least Meulens had a ton of coaching experience. I hope it works out of course but not thrilled with this hire
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#7611 » by GIMME_DATT » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:29 am

Smfh
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#7612 » by levendis » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:33 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:I don't like hiring dudes that haven't at least been a bench coach. I hate this hire. At least Meulens had a ton of coaching experience. I hope it works out of course but not thrilled with this hire

Giarardi only coached for 2 years before he got the Yankees job. Is it really that big of a deal? We have no idea what type of manager he'll be. You'd think someone would hire Muelens by now after all these years though, been coaching for like 15 years.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager

Post#7613 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:34 am

Dont like it.

We'll see what he can do once the season starts though.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#7614 » by Red Vines » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:37 am

Out of their pool of candidates I wouldve picked Boone too but they are rolling the dice.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7615 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:38 am

levendis wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:I don't like hiring dudes that haven't at least been a bench coach. I hate this hire. At least Meulens had a ton of coaching experience. I hope it works out of course but not thrilled with this hire

Giarardi only coached for 2 years before he got the Yankees job. Is it really that big of a deal? We have no idea what type of manager he'll be. You'd think someone would hire Muelens by now after all these years though, been coaching for like 15 years.

It's the most prestigious team in baseball and a lot of expectations. Yes I think it's a tough job and a big deal.

Girardi was a bench coach for Yankees before Marlins hired him to be a manager.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#7616 » by Mecca » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:39 am

I wanted Cone or A-Rod. Neither got interviewed.

Happy with Boonyyy. I'm picky w commentators but he did a very good job.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7617 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:45 am

Nobody liked the Torre hire and it worked out golden. So I'll be open minded.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#7618 » by levendis » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:47 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:
levendis wrote:

It's the most prestigious team in baseball and a lot of expectations. Yes I think it's a tough job and a big deal.

exactly. like I said, he only coached for 2 years before the Yankees gig. He wasn't THAT much more experienced than Boone was. The players on this team will determine how far they'll go period. Boone must have impressed at the interview. And really they're going full circle. Replaced a hard ass Schowalter with a more relaxed Torree. And doing the same now swapping Girardi with Boone
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#7619 » by levendis » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:49 am

Mecca wrote:I wanted Cone or A-Rod. Neither got interviewed.

Happy with Boonyyy. I'm picky w commentators but he did a very good job.

Arod is too rich and busy banging Jlow to be making a couple mill grinding it out as a manager.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7620 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:50 am

levendis wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
levendis wrote:

exactly. like I said, he only coached for 2 years before the Yankees gig. He wasn't THAT much more experienced than Boone was. The players on this team will determine how far they'll go period. Boone must have impressed at the interview. And really they're going full circle. Replaced a hard ass Schowalter with a more relaxed Torree. And doing the same now swapping Girardi with Boone

I'd say way more experienced he was a bench coach here then managed another team.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard

Return to New York Knicks