ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#7641 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Dec 2, 2017 6:23 pm

Sánchez the type that needs some tough love sometimes though. He responded well after that. But I get it. Athletes are super soft these days.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#7642 » by Phish Tank » Sat Dec 2, 2017 6:56 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Sánchez the type that needs some tough love sometimes though. He responded well after that. But I get it. Athletes are super soft these days.

you can give tough love, but communicate it in a better way than Girardi did.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,227

Post#7643 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 2, 2017 7:28 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Sánchez the type that needs some tough love sometimes though. He responded well after that. But I get it. Athletes are super soft these days.

So what was the case with Bernie Williams? Because the Yanks traded Gus Williams because he was basically hazing Bernie.

Seemed to be a tough enough guy and had a really good career. Or was Bernie under the "these days" umbrella?

I mean, personally I favor the days where baseball players boozed all night and took speed the next day to stay awake/hand eye coordination, but that's me.

Oh, and the 80's and 90's where they snorted copious amounts of blow.

Though I'm most fond of:
;t=2s
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7644 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 2, 2017 7:35 pm

Joe Girardi was a catcher...catchers do make pretty good skippers.

I find it comical that Girardi's inability to massage another catcher's man-gina was a conflict of interest when the kraken could have 10 more tentacles but not improved defensively is the reason why Romine steals starts behind the plate. In other words, the only person in the way of Gary Sanchez was Gary Sanchez.

We'll see what Boone will bring to the table...

In the meantime, the way Cashman sounds....he might be on a huge shopping spree. Ohtani hunt has been quoted as "aggressive" in the pursuit of his forces. I get the feeling the Yanks plethora of outfielders will be resolved by getting a significant piece. Also the Yanks might be on the look out for a guy who hits for average to balance out the power swinging guys.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#7645 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 2, 2017 7:55 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Joe Girardi was a catcher...catchers do make pretty good skippers.

I find it comical that Girardi's inability to massage another catcher's man-gina was a conflict of interest when the kraken could have 10 more tentacles but not improved defensively is the reason why Romine steals starts behind the plate. In other words, the only person in the way of Gary Sanchez was Gary Sanchez.

We'll see what Boone will bring to the table...

In the meantime, the way Cashman sounds....he might be on a huge shopping spree. Ohtani hunt has been quoted as "aggressive" in the pursuit of his forces. I get the feeling the Yanks plethora of outfielders will be resolved by getting a significant piece. Also the Yanks might be on the look out for a guy who hits for average to balance out the power swinging guys.

Apparently you guys don't understand the meaning of "one" of the reasons as opposed to "the" reason.

Girardi was starting to rub all the players the wrong way. I bet Judge was one of them too. Talent rules. The Yanks know they have a bunch of young talent that could be together for 8-10 years and Girardi was wearing out his welcome on more than Sanchez. And then there is the matter that the front office was getting tired of him too.

Same thing happened to Showalter. Certain managers sort of come with a shelf life.

I mean, Billy Martin was an extreme example, but he was known for really being able to turn a team around totally in a few years, but then a team couldn't stand him once it got the ship righted, and that meant the players and particularly upper management. And this happened with the Yanks, Detroit, and what was the other team he managed? Texas?
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#7646 » by levendis » Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:19 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
levendis wrote:Lineups, pen roles, defensive shifts, ways to attack opposing pitchers/ hitters are determined by front offices. And the most successful/praised ones are the ones that follow their "suggestions". Managers primary responsibility have been reduced to pen usage, challenges, and managing the club house. This isn't basketball or football. There are no great tacticians in baseball. Boone is going to listen to front office suggestions, not crap on his star young catcher in public, and bring a more relaxed atmosphere in the clubhouse. We'll see how it goes, but those are the biggest reasons as to why he was picked.

I think had a lot more to do with things than people realize. And it wasn't about Sanchez complaining or anything but I believe an observation from the front office. Not THE reason, but an important reason.

My biggest issue with it was it was uncharacteristic of him. He never did that to any other players on the team. I can't think of any other player he spoke poorly about to the media. Judge was crap for 2 months making dumb plays on the field too at times and he said nothing.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,592

Post#7647 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:33 am

thebuzzardman wrote:

So what was the case with Bernie Williams? Because the Yanks traded Gus Williams because he was basically hazing Bernie.

Seemed to be a tough enough guy and had a really good career. Or was Bernie under the "these days" umbrella?

I mean, personally I favor the days where baseball players boozed all night and took speed the next day to stay awake/hand eye coordination, but that's me.

Though I'm most fond of:
;t=2s

I believe it was Oscar Gamble who hazed Bernie and it was Gerald Williams who checked Oscar.

Btw, that Dock Ellis animation is one of my favorite videos. HarthorneWingo gives is 5 stars.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#7648 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Dec 3, 2017 2:04 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Though I'm most fond of:
;t=2s

I believe it was Oscar Gamble who hazed Bernie and it was Gerald Williams who checked Oscar.

Btw, that Dock Ellis animation is one of my favorite videos. HarthorneWingo gives is 5 stars.

Gamble I think is too early for Bernie; they are offset by 10 years. Oscar and Walt Williams (he of the no neck) may have been teammates. As, it was Gerald Williams. I know the name was with a G*
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#7649 » by Phish Tank » Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:11 pm

Read on Twitter

sigh
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#7650 » by GIMME_DATT » Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:15 pm

Wtf I heard he didn't want to play 2 play with another japanese player..tanaka

Hope he is a bust
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#7651 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:16 pm

Damn wtf.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#7652 » by Phish Tank » Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:17 pm

i think he's scared of the big market. He may like Seattle, but good luck trying to replicate Ichiro there.
GIMME_DATT
Veteran

Post#7653 » by GIMME_DATT » Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:20 pm

He will end up like Cano..mariners going nowhere
GIMME_DATT
Veteran

Post#7654 » by GIMME_DATT » Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:26 pm

Cashman said that Ohtani’s reps told him they were very impressed with team’s presentation, but no matter how good it was, the Yankees couldn’t make themselves West Coast or a smaller market.

Sounds like someone scared of the bright lights and media
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#7655 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:28 pm

Hope we beat him down next season.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#7656 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:29 pm

GIMME_DATT wrote:Cashman said that Ohtani’s reps told him they were very impressed with team’s presentation, but no matter how good it was, the Yankees couldn’t make themselves West Coast or a smaller market.

Sounds like someone scared of the bright lights and media

Being 4 hours closer to home! Yay!
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,914

Post#7657 » by F N 11 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 11:41 pm

He's a bust lol scared of New York
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#7658 » by levendis » Mon Dec 4, 2017 12:22 am

Phish Tank wrote:
Read on Twitter

sigh

BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#7659 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Dec 4, 2017 12:24 am

Ohtani = Teriyaki Chicken
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,370

Post#7660 » by Ray Williams » Mon Dec 4, 2017 1:28 am

West coast i️ can understand, but small market team tells me he doesn’t have the cojones to play here.

Return to New York Knicks