ImageImageImageImageImage

Did the Knicks win the Melo trade?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#1 » by malik959 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:33 am

OK, I know I might be a little early, but I love how this team was put together and it seems like all the pieces are falling into place. With a good mixture of vets and youth we finally have a future to look forward to. Both Kanter and McBuckets have been a surprise, we all knew they were decent on offense, but their defense was a question mark going into the season. Now Kanter has shown that he can get into the right places on the floor to help stop penetration (giggidy) and also negate the pick and roll. Dougi has also shown that he too can play some defense, hit the open shots and has also had some nice highlight dunks to keep a game interesting. So my question is, Did we win the Melo trade?

I was a huge Melo supporter, but felt that this team was going no where with him. I didn't like 95% of the rumored trades that were being presented and when it finally went down I was upset because we didn't get Terrence Furguson and felt like "Oh here we go again!" But now Kanter is becoming a fan favorite because he reminds fans of the old Knicks. He's gritty, willing to protect his own, and he's a beast on the offensive boards.

Here it is Melo is looking to be dropped from his starting position, he's worse on defense this year and literally has no lateral movement, he no longer has the elevation to do anything on the move (has been blocked in just about every game this season), and he's still playing hero ball although you have one of the best point guards in the game. My answer is definitely YES, WE FINALLY WON A TRADE!!
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,569

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#2 » by mpharris36 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:43 am

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,941

Post#3 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:44 am

this isnt going to end well

Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#4 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:45 am

The Knicks would have won the trade even if they just got back a bag of chips.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,259

Post#5 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:48 am

Short Answer: Yes, by a landslide

Doug could become a very good long-term piece, but Kanter is the key here.

What this franchise has no choice about is as long as they are building around KP they will need a lunch pail monster in the paint. But Kanter is more than a blue collar guy, he's on his way to becoming a legit star in his own right.

For all the fluff said about the way the league plays now, every team has different considerations based on whom they are building around. And the Knicks are building around a player unlike anyone else in the league.

KP requires Kanter to thrive. KP requires a Kanter. Other teams may not require a Kanter, but we do.

It really is that simple. And you really couldn't do any better than Kanter.

So when anyone wants to talk about players who make others around them better, they have to look no further than Kanter.

Kanter is vastly more valuable to the Knicks now than Melo could possibly be so on that point alone the trade is a massive win.

Add in Doug and the pick and it was a home run.

Melo is cooked. We fleeced OKC.
ImageImageImage
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#6 » by Ignitowsky » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:50 am

Kanter for Melo even up wins us the trade. McD and the pick are icing on the cake.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#7 » by Bill Pidto » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:52 am

Cancer for Kanter Klause.

Knicks win big.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,637

Post#8 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:53 am

knicks85 wrote:this isnt going to end well

How bad can it be? :dontknow: We clearly got the better of the deal and we have a winning record and they don't ... AND we got an excellent 2nd round pick.

Besides, those cats, except for maybe one person, seem to be on board now.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#9 » by Blockwatcher » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:54 am

Did Melo leave? Yes
Did the Knicks win the trade? Yes
1 John 2 : 15-17
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#10 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:54 am

Both parties had to split ways. Knicks needed to rebuild in a better way, and Melo wanted to leave as well, as evident by calling his last bit of time here "hell".

The players coming back in the trade basically were a bonus since they can play the game and that pick should be useful as well.

Whether who won the trade really matters little to me....both sides got what they wanted which is all that matters.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,499

Post#11 » by Fat Kat » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:55 am

Ahhhhhhh. The Thunder. Their tears are like sugary treats, sorrowful nourishment squeezed fresh from the supple teat of the gods. I enjoy it, this drink, and their tears make me fat and full. Thank you Sam Presti

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#12 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:57 am

Fat Kat wrote:Ahhhhhhh. The Thunder. Their tears are like sugary treats, sorrowful nourishment squeezed fresh from the supple teat of the gods. I enjoy it, this drink, and their tears make me fat and full. Thank you Sam Presti

So you're a closet poet. Let it out
ImageImageImage
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

Post#13 » by SuperflyKnick » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:58 am

Yes we won the trade ... now only if we had drafted Mitchell instead of Frank lolz
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#14 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:00 am

Clyde_Style wrote:Short Answer: Yes, by a landslide

What this franchise has no choice about is as long as they are building around KP they will need a lunch pail monster in the paint. But Kanter is more than a blue collar guy, he's on his way to becoming a legit star in his own right.

For all the fluff said about the way the league plays now, every team has difference considerations based on whom they are building around. And the Knicks are building around a player unlike anyone else in the league.

KP requires Kanter to thrive. KP requires a Kanter. Other teams may not require a Kanter, but we do.

So when anyone wants to talk about players who make others around them better, they have to look no further than Kanter.

Kanter is vastly more valuable to the Knicks now than Melo could possibly be so on that point alone the trade is a massive win.

This post makes me feel very tingly, very sparkly.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,813

Post#15 » by Adelheid » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:01 am

I am thinking of getting some popcorn as I gloss over this thread...
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#16 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:03 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:

For all the fluff said about the way the league plays now, every team has difference considerations based on whom they are building around. And the Knicks are building around a player unlike anyone else in the league.

ImageImageImage
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#17 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:07 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#18 » by Bill Pidto » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:21 am

Fat Kat wrote:Ahhhhhhh. The Thunder. Their tears are like sugary treats, sorrowful nourishment squeezed fresh from the supple teat of the gods. I enjoy it, this drink, and their tears make me fat and full. Thank you Sam Presti

From your keyboard, straight through my heart like Cupid's arrow.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,307

Post#19 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:40 am

Umm...yeah
:beer: RIP mags
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#20 » by Phish Tank » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:41 am

This end will get locked by tomorrow.

But everyone involved won. OKC got someone who can score on his own next to Russ. Melo starts fresh. Knicks start fresh and get two guys who seem to be playing well in a different offensive scheme.

Return to New York Knicks