ImageImage

Sad News: Steve Jones Dies

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,314

Sad News: Steve Jones Dies 

Post#1 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:51 am

in the sad news department, Steve Jones, the best broadcast analyst Portland has ever had, died today

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/11/former_trail_blazer_steve_snap.html
Blazerbob
Freshman
And1: 14

Re: Sad News: Steve Jones Dies 

Post#2 » by Blazerbob » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:16 am

Very sad day in Portland. He was so great to listen to.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#3 » by zzaj » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:23 am

Loved how he would call out the Blazers if they were underperforming...kinda anti-homer.

RIP
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#4 » by d-train » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:29 am

There will never be another Snapper.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Post#5 » by Shem » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:14 am

This sucks so bad. I loved his work as a broadcaster.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#6 » by Masterfully » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Used to love hearing him argue with Walton during games.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#7 » by PDX MM » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Back when I was a kid I was a regular caller to his pre game radio show. Not once did he ever lose his cool with me and always answered my questions. I still have an entire 8 track tape full of my conversations (I always recorded myself on the radio) with him to bad I don't have an 8 track player anymore. Certainly one of the greats and will be missed.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#8 » by zzaj » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:19 pm

Worth mentioning, he was PORTLAND all the way. Franklin High, UofO, Trailblazer, and of course Portland Broadcaster...
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#9 » by PDXKnight » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:19 am

I didn't listen to him on the radio but heard many good things about him. RIP
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,799

Post#10 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:27 am

My favorite broadcaster :[ thoughts to his loved ones.
Zers4Eva
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#11 » by Zers4Eva » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:28 am

RIP Snapper. Thanks for keeping Bill Walton real all those years.

Sent from my Pixel XL using RealGM mobile app
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#12 » by Goldbum » Sat Dec 2, 2017 2:58 am

When I was a kid I called "Court Side," and asked him what the chances were of PDX signing Jim Jackson he told me "Zero not at all. No need and no use for him". They literally signed him that week... When I called in the next week Snapper was not only nice but took a couple seconds to talk to me off the air. He was my favorite commentator before that and I always miss listening to him call the games. RIp
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM

Post#13 » by d-train » Sat Dec 2, 2017 3:13 am

Goldbum wrote:When I was a kid I called "Court Side," and asked him what the chances were of PDX signing Jim Jackson he told me "Zero not at all. No need and no use for him". They literally signed him that week... When I called in the next week Snapper was not only nice but took a couple seconds to talk to me off the air. He was my favorite commentator before that and I always miss listening to him call the games. RIp

I remember when Whitsitt signed Jackson. It was a remarkable signing because the Blazers were way over the salary cap and loaded with talent and big contracts. Nobody thought Jackson would sign for so little, or that Blazers could find a way to sign him.
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#14 » by britblazerdude » Sun Dec 3, 2017 8:36 pm

Really sad when I found this out.

You can tell how many new "fans" there are at the RG because it seemed like the crowd didn't really know who he was during the little video montage they had for him.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#15 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:01 pm

In the earliest days of Rip City, I was overseas and the only broadcasts I could get were the Blazers with Schonely & Twardzik and occasionally Steve Jones would fill in for them. Plus I heard his radio show most of the time. He could do play-by-play, color, call-in, and general discussion. He was the ultimate do-it-all radio/TV man.

When I returned from overseas, I ended up in Portland (although not because of the Blazers :lol: ). I enjoyed the broadcasts even more and all 3 were good, but in my mind, Steve Jones was the best. My office was in the same building as the Blazers and once in a great while I would meet some of the Blazers and staff. Steve Jones was easily the most engaging, although some of the players were quite open to a 20 second elevator "hello". :wink:
d-train
RealGM

Post#16 » by d-train » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:22 am

NuggetsWY wrote:In the earliest days of Rip City, I was overseas and the only broadcasts I could get were the Blazers with Schonely & Twardzik and occasionally Steve Jones would fill in for them. Plus I heard his radio show most of the time. He could do play-by-play, color, call-in, and general discussion. He was the ultimate do-it-all radio/TV man.

When I returned from overseas, I ended up in Portland (although not because of the Blazers :lol: ). I enjoyed the broadcasts even more and all 3 were good, but in my mind, Steve Jones was the best. My office was in the same building as the Blazers and once in a great while I would meet some of the Blazers and staff. Steve Jones was easily the most engaging, although some of the players were quite open to a 20 second elevator "hello". :wink:

You must be talking about the Lloyd Building (or something like that). I occasionally had business their as well. Portland is a small town, especially back then in the 80's and 90's.

Edit: I bought my season tickets from Larry Steele. For a while, Larry Steele sat in the row behind me when I went to games. Occasionally, other former stars would sit near me. The Portland community back then was very small. You didn't need to be a big shot millionaire to find yourself rubbing shoulders with a local celebrity.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:48 am

d-train wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:In the earliest days of Rip City, I was overseas and the only broadcasts I could get were the Blazers with Schonely & Twardzik and occasionally Steve Jones would fill in for them. Plus I heard his radio show most of the time. He could do play-by-play, color, call-in, and general discussion. He was the ultimate do-it-all radio/TV man.

You must be talking about the Lloyd Building (or something like that). I occasionally had business their as well. Portland is a small town, especially back then in the 80's and 90's.

Edit: I bought my season tickets from Larry Steele. For a while, Larry Steele sat in the row behind me when I went to games. Occasionally, other former stars would sit near me. The Portland community back then was very small. You didn't need to be a big shot millionaire to find yourself rubbing shoulders with a local celebrity.

Yes, I forget but I think they were the 9th floor and we were on the 11th floor. Ah yes, Larry Steele, another great name from those days. I surely did enjoy my 9 years in the Rose City - we lived right next door to where the United flight landed on Burns Ave. We were on Sauvie Island when Mount St. Helens went up. But we met a lot of great folk and enjoyed the ice storms almost as much as the people. :lol:

Return to Portland Trail Blazers