ImageImageImageImageImage

Did the Knicks win the Melo trade?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#121 » by DrKnick » Mon Dec 4, 2017 6:19 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
DrKnick wrote:
Kurt Rambis wrote:Yes... but i wish we grabbed some picks.

For Melo? A washed up faux superstar player?

We got Chicago's 2nd round pick this coming draft. Better than nothing.

True, true. But some people expect teams to give an avalanche of picks and all for a 30-something-year-old player.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#122 » by dakomish23 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 6:24 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
He would have passed to Melo and the jab step ISO king would have stopped ball movement and chucked bricks. He's got RFW at the point and PFG on the wing. 9-12. Rubio wouldn't have made a bit of difference. Glad he's gone.

Melo takes 4 iso shots a game for them while taking 5 catch and shoot 3’s for them.

Have you watched the games? How he played here is not what’s happening over there. Even his defense is better, though there was no place to go but up :lol:

PG shot 2-17 and Russ shot 9-22 tonight.

Melo? 4-10.

Yeah...and? What does him over there have to do with him here and Rubio passing him the ball? He HAS to defer there. He never would here.

The trade worked in our favor for a change. I don't care what happens to Melo or OKC honestly. It worked out well for us. That never happens.

Funny thing is....Olympic Melo would be a great fit here. 3rd option catch and shoot Melo.

I bet you would of seen more of it with the team we have now. You think otherwise, but having competent guard play goes a long way imo
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

Post#123 » by SuperflyKnick » Mon Dec 4, 2017 6:30 am

Yes we won the trade we got Kanter who if played 35 mins a game could easily avg 20 12 a game
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#124 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Dec 4, 2017 6:50 am

DrKnick wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
DrKnick wrote:For Melo? A washed up faux superstar player?

We got Chicago's 2nd round pick this coming draft. Better than nothing.

True, true. But some people expect teams to give an avalanche of picks and all for a 30-something-year-old player.

Plus, everybody knew that Melo couldn't remain here in NY. Also, OKC wasn't getting a young player under control. They got an aging and declining star for one year, maybe two. My guess is one year. Melo will eventually cave in and play with LeQueen.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Post#125 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:16 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Melo takes 4 iso shots a game for them while taking 5 catch and shoot 3’s for them.

Have you watched the games? How he played here is not what’s happening over there. Even his defense is better, though there was no place to go but up :lol:

PG shot 2-17 and Russ shot 9-22 tonight.

Melo? 4-10.

Yeah...and? What does him over there have to do with him here and Rubio passing him the ball? He HAS to defer there. He never would here.

The trade worked in our favor for a change. I don't care what happens to Melo or OKC honestly. It worked out well for us. That never happens.

Funny thing is....Olympic Melo would be a great fit here. 3rd option catch and shoot Melo.

I bet you would of seen more of it with the team we have now. You think otherwise, but having competent guard play goes a long way imo

If he was still here...we wouldn't have the team we have now. I get your point though. Like I said...Olympic Melo would fit nicely here. I'm still glad he's gone. We wouldn't have this team and the circus would still be in town.

I am pretty much done with this topic. Melo played for us. Nothing came of him being here. We didn't lose in the trade to move on. It's only a battle of opinions as to what he was/wasn't and what he did/didn't do. Something everyone should be able to agree on...it was time to move on and we're better off as a team going forward. It's about the Knicks after all. Not former players.
:beer: RIP mags
Icandoallthings
Senior
And1: 337

Post#126 » by Icandoallthings » Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:35 am

Everybody won that trade the Knicks were able to turn the page and the Thunder were able to sign Westbrook. Melo and Kanter will both opt in next year because of the money and they would be stupid not. I expect the Thunder to be busy at the deadline.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#127 » by Sark » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:03 am

xNewYorkMadex wrote:Better than the crap Houston was offering.

I think both teams will come away pleased. I do believe OKC will turn it around, still 60 games left. They have strong defensive players on that team, just need Melo and Westbrook to actually make their shots and involve Paul George more.

As for the Knicks, it'll be interesting if we re-sign Kanter. Kanter alone has been worth the deal, McDermott and especially the Bulls 2nd rounder is gravy. Kanter needs to still show me how consistent he can be on the defensive end before im ready to sign him to a long term deal.

To be fair, the only reason Houston offered so little is that they had no competition in bidding since Melo had a list of 1. They had assets to move if they really wanted him, and if they were in a bidding war. Thankfully Melo opened his list, and OKC got involved. By most people's accounts at the time, we still took a terrible package from the Thunder. I mean people were calling him Enes Kancer before he played a game. McDermott as well was thought to be a total scrub. The Chicago pick was considered the best value.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#128 » by GEOLINK » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:12 am

Icandoallthings wrote:Everybody won that trade the Knicks were able to turn the page and the Thunder were able to sign Westbrook. Melo and Kanter will both opt in next year because of the money and they would be stupid not. I expect the Thunder to be busy at the deadline.

Pray for the team that offers Melo big money.
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#129 » by rammagen » Mon Dec 4, 2017 1:46 pm

DrKnick wrote:
Greenie wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
And OKC is losing to teams like Orlando.

And?

Guess the Knicks are perfect too.

With Melo, things would be been way worse with a 7-13 record by now.

Melo just stagnant the team.

Not so sure about that. Notice the difference between Sessions and Jack I think if Jack were running the point and Melo was here we would be about the same, 500
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#130 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:14 pm

The Knicks won the Melo Trade because (when healthy) they were above .500 for 1/4th of the season, which is the best they've been since magical Storm Sandy season.

In other words, they improved through addition by subtraction. Melo was a high volume scorer. No offense was not going to be suffocated by his holding the ball, slowing down the pace and stagnating the offense when the Knicks were down by double digits.

The Knicks are focused on building a team with tall, mobile, and fast with range. You can see the amount of court that the Knicks big men can cover. Guys like the Greek Freak and Ben Simmons are changing the game.

As for the OKC Thunder, it RARELY works out when a team is stacked full of star players but the NBA has enough bad teams for OKC Thunder to limp into the playoffs. Still, I am amused the Thunder did every thing Melo lovers wanted and OKC still struggled.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#131 » by Greenie » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:40 pm

rammagen wrote:
DrKnick wrote:
Greenie wrote:

And?

Guess the Knicks are perfect too.

With Melo, things would be been way worse with a 7-13 record by now.

Melo just stagnant the team.

Not so sure about that. Notice the difference between Sessions and Jack I think if Jack were running the point and Melo was here we would be about the same, 500

We have the same issues as before. Lack of a PG. Until that’s fixed we will continue to be up and down.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#132 » by Greenie » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:43 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:The Knicks won the Melo Trade because (when healthy) they were above .500 for 1/4th of the season, which is the best they've been since magical Storm Sandy season.

In other words, they improved through addition by subtraction. Melo was a high volume scorer. No offense was not going to be suffocated by his holding the ball, slowing down the pace and stagnating the offense when the Knicks were down by double digits.

The Knicks are focused on building a team with tall, mobile, and fast with range. You can see the amount of court that the Knicks big men can cover. Guys like the Greek Freak and Ben Simmons are changing the game.

As for the OKC Thunder, it RARELY works out when a team is stacked full of star players but the NBA has enough bad teams for OKC Thunder to limp into the playoffs. Still, I am amused the Thunder did every thing Melo lovers wanted and OKC still struggled.

Stop it.
Go watch a damn OKC game first.

All three of them are struggling on offense.

Melo has shot less than 20 times the last 2 games COMBINED.

Russ is playing beyond bad. BEYOND.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#133 » by NYKAL » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:03 pm

Greenie wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:The Knicks won the Melo Trade because (when healthy) they were above .500 for 1/4th of the season, which is the best they've been since magical Storm Sandy season.

Stop it.

I have watched them. I don't believe anyone will ever win with Russ running the team. Melo can get his if allowed to play his game and is on average holding the ball 3seconds less. The issues are Russ not being a true point guard and Paul G being grossly overrated. They also have a crappy bench.

I'm starting to wonder if PG is incapable of playing with another dominant player. He only really produced when Melo doesn't play which, is why they want Melo on the bench. Not because he doesn't work with the starting lineup but, they are DESPERATE to get Paul George going.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#134 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:09 pm

Right now it looks like a win for the Knicks, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a loss for OKC.

It's probably still too early to judge this one though anyway. Melo likely would've opted out after this year and we probably would be tanking right now. So the ultimate comparison will be the value of that higher pick and earlier cap space vs. the value of getting some wins (and potentially playoff experience) for KP, the Chicago pick, and whether we re-sign Kanter and at what price. We can't properly judge this trade until this summer at the earliest, or moreso next summer.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,385

Post#135 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:15 pm

Greenie wrote:

Stop it.

he doesn't watch ****. already called him out on his bull sh*t about dsj a while ago
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#136 » by BeagleBoss » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:18 pm

The culture and energy improved so yes, we have won that trade so far.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#137 » by NYKAL » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:20 pm

the winners are the players that got the **** away from Russ. lmao
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,916

Post#138 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:23 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21661212/nba-did-knicks-pacers-win-carmelo-anthony-paul-george-trades-thunder

Did Knicks and Pacers win the Melo and PG-13 trades with OKC?

If you were designing a frontcourt partner for Enes Kanter in the lab, he'd probably look a lot like Kristaps Porzingis: capable of spacing the floor to give Kanter room to finish as well as helping him out with rim protection. Nobody in the NBA does both of those things better than Porzingis, so it's no surprise that Kanter shoots far more accurately (66.7 percent vs. 56.4 percent), and the Knicks are more successful (plus-2.6 net rating vs. minus-8.0, per NBA.com/Stats) when he plays with Porzingis.

Now, the Kanter-Porzingis partnership may not continue to be quite so effective. According to Second Spectrum data, Kanter's shot quality is little better when he plays with Porzingis, and overall the quantified quality of his shots this season is almost identical to his 2015-16 campaign in Oklahoma City -- when Kanter shot 57.6 percent as compared to his current 64.3 percent accuracy.

It's also true that a lot of centers could fill that role opposite Porzingis because of the latter's unique skills. That group probably includes New York backup Willy Hernangomez, who has been buried in the rotation behind Kanter and veteran Kyle O'Quinn after a strong rookie season. So Kanter may not be a huge upgrade for the Knicks.

The other player New York got (reserve forward Doug McDermott) is shooting a career-high 53.8 percent on 2-point attempts, but his value remains limited because of his defensive shortcomings. McDermott's minus-1.7 rating in RPM ranks 67th among small forwards.

In the long run, the most valuable piece the Knicks got from the Thunder might prove to be Chicago's 2018 second-round pick. With the Bulls a league-worst 3-18, that pick would be No. 31 overall if the season ended today.

Despite the pick, the most important aspect of trading Anthony for New York was the ability to turn over the reins of the offense to Porzingis, who has pushed his usage rate from 24.3 percent of the Knicks' plays to 34.2 percent -- second-highest in the league behind James Harden. Like Oladipo, Porzingis has managed to simultaneously improve his efficiency and his volume, confirming him as one of the league's best scorers.

New verdict: Indiana and New York did well with trades

I panned both the trades made with the Thunder this summer, grading the Pacers' return a D-minus and the Knicks' package a C-minus. It has quickly become clear I was wrong about both deals.

I don't know that I misjudged the players the Knicks got for Anthony so much as I underestimated the value of turning the page on the Melo era at MSG. Certainly, what New York got in return was better than simply buying Anthony out -- particularly given how promising the second-round pick from Chicago looked before the season. I would probably give the Knicks a straight B in regrading the trade.

So my new assessment is, far from being fleeced, the Knicks and Pacers did well to get what they did from the Thunder.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#139 » by Greenie » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:32 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Stop it.

I have watched them. I don't believe anyone will ever win with Russ running the team. Melo can get his if allowed to play his game and is on average holding the ball 3seconds less. The issues are Russ not being a true point guard and Paul G being grossly overrated. They also have a crappy bench.

I'm starting to wonder if PG is incapable of playing with another dominant player. He only really produced when Melo doesn't play which, is why they want Melo on the bench. Not because he doesn't work with the starting lineup but, they are DESPERATE to get Paul George going.

The Russ stuff dates back to when KD was there. KD is arguably the best player in the NBA. What does that tell you?

Back when Rose was healthy and Chicago was one of the elite teams in the NBA I was taking Rose all day everyday over Russ.

I thought having a full year of having no one would have taught Russ but nah. Dude needs his OWN team fully.

PG and Melo can play off of others. Russ can’t or can and just doesn’t. I really don’t know. However, this narrative with him isn’t new. Add to that the simple fact that Donovan is clueless on offense(he’s a wiz defensive coach) and you can see where OKC’s offensive problems lie.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#140 » by Greenie » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:35 pm

NYKAL wrote:the winners are the players that got the **** away from Russ. lmao

That’s not a good look...for Russ.
Dipo and Sabonis are BALLING too.

KD took it to another level when he left...

Yikes

Return to New York Knicks