ImageImageImageImageImage

Did the Knicks win the Melo trade?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#141 » by sushibear » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:59 pm

Hell yeah. At the end of the day, he was just another marbury. I'm happy
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Post#142 » by GONYK » Mon Dec 4, 2017 6:53 pm

Greenie wrote:
NYKAL wrote:the winners are the players that got the **** away from Russ. lmao

That’s not a good look...for Russ.
Dipo and Sabonis are BALLING too.

KD took it to another level when he left...

Yikes

Exactly why I would take a Conley over Russ any day of the week.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#143 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:08 pm

Sark wrote:
xNewYorkMadex wrote:Better than the crap Houston was offering.

I think both teams will come away pleased. I do believe OKC will turn it around, still 60 games left. They have strong defensive players on that team, just need Melo and Westbrook to actually make their shots and involve Paul George more.

As for the Knicks, it'll be interesting if we re-sign Kanter. Kanter alone has been worth the deal, McDermott and especially the Bulls 2nd rounder is gravy. Kanter needs to still show me how consistent he can be on the defensive end before im ready to sign him to a long term deal.

To be fair, the only reason Houston offered so little is that they had no competition in bidding since Melo had a list of 1. They had assets to move if they really wanted him, and if they were in a bidding war. Thankfully Melo opened his list, and OKC got involved. By most people's accounts at the time, we still took a terrible package from the Thunder. I mean people were calling him Enes Kancer before he played a game. McDermott as well was thought to be a total scrub. The Chicago pick was considered the best value.

You know it is interesting that Melo and Westbrook are (or were) a bit of Me first type guys. Yeah, Westbrook gets assists, but as a player, that is not a PG I would want to play with if I wanted more team ball.

Melo, at least with us, in due time (lol) did adjust his game, but he needed to have played like that in his prime. And he never really was physically there to play great defense (last few years.) He would have been deadly and made those around him better had he just adjusted soon. I wish he had. I almost feel sorry for the guy, but you reap what you sow.

Now, ironic, these two guys are getting to see a bit of what other players had problems with, though I do see Melo acquiescing with age here. (Can't comment much on George.)
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#144 » by DOT » Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:08 pm

I mean, it was something that needed to happen, and we at least got productive players out of it

I'd say both teams "won" the trade
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#145 » by rammagen » Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:13 pm

Greenie wrote:
rammagen wrote:
DrKnick wrote:With Melo, things would be been way worse with a 7-13 record by now.

Melo just stagnant the team.

Not so sure about that. Notice the difference between Sessions and Jack I think if Jack were running the point and Melo was here we would be about the same, 500

We have the same issues as before. Lack of a PG. Until that’s fixed we will continue to be up and down.

jack is by no means the solution but noticed since he began playing the team flows better then with session, Frank just needs time but already looks like pg that could thrive pass and defense first is what this team needs
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#146 » by seren » Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:51 pm

Absolutely. Look at the Chicago record. Forget about others we got in the deal. The Chicago second looks sweet.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#147 » by NYKAL » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:13 pm

rammagen wrote:
Greenie wrote:
rammagen wrote:Not so sure about that. Notice the difference between Sessions and Jack I think if Jack were running the point and Melo was here we would be about the same, 500

We have the same issues as before. Lack of a PG. Until that’s fixed we will continue to be up and down.

jack is by no means the solution but noticed since he began playing the team flows better then with session, Frank just needs time but already looks like pg that could thrive pass and defense first is what this team needs

that was obvious the first game he started over Sessions. The difference was both obvious and immediate and I was happy Sessions got glued to the bench. Unfortunately, the adhesive in the glue seems to have worn off
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,221

Post#148 » by duetta » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:17 pm

DrKnick wrote:True, true. But some people expect teams to give an avalanche of picks and all for a 30-something-year-old player.

Too bad we weren't dealing with Billy King...
rammagen
Head Coach

Post#149 » by rammagen » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:44 pm

NYKAL wrote:
rammagen wrote:
Greenie wrote:

that was obvious the first game he started over Sessions. The difference was both obvious and immediate and I was happy Sessions got glued to the bench. Unfortunately, the adhesive in the glue seems to have worn off

Jack is old and Frank is still learning. I would love to play Frank 24 minutes a game no matter what the issues may be but the coach is trying to win and he does seem to be improving little by little.
Frank defensively is scary good as he learns I would expect him to be starting towards game 42 or 43 anything less I would be alittle disappointed
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#150 » by NYKAL » Mon Dec 4, 2017 9:46 pm

^I told my boy he would be stating By December. WRONG. I do think he'd average more assists than Jack if he did get those minutes.
Toneatbk
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#151 » by Toneatbk » Mon Dec 4, 2017 11:45 pm

Even if the Knicks got a bag of chips for melo, the change in locker room atmosphere alone won the trade.
Pass blunts not judgement.
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#152 » by Daaaarryyl » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:15 am

dakomish23 wrote:Special shout out to those that wanted to cut him or trade him for Anderson.

Thankfully Perry is in charge.

Still too early, but Perry may have a feather in his cap with this trade.

And yet I really do hope he defers to Gaines come draft time....
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#153 » by Daaaarryyl » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:41 am

SelbyCobra wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21661212/nba-did-knicks-pacers-win-carmelo-anthony-paul-george-trades-thunder

Did Knicks and Pacers win the Melo and PG-13 trades with OKC?

If you were designing a frontcourt partner for Enes Kanter in the lab, he'd probably look a lot like Kristaps Porzingis: capable of spacing the floor to give Kanter room to finish as well as helping him out with rim protection. Nobody in the NBA does both of those things better than Porzingis, so it's no surprise that Kanter shoots far more accurately (66.7 percent vs. 56.4 percent), and the Knicks are more successful (plus-2.6 net rating vs. minus-8.0, per NBA.com/Stats) when he plays with Porzingis.

Now, the Kanter-Porzingis partnership may not continue to be quite so effective. According to Second Spectrum data, Kanter's shot quality is little better when he plays with Porzingis, and overall the quantified quality of his shots this season is almost identical to his 2015-16 campaign in Oklahoma City -- when Kanter shot 57.6 percent as compared to his current 64.3 percent accuracy.

It's also true that a lot of centers could fill that role opposite Porzingis because of the latter's unique skills. That group probably includes New York backup Willy Hernangomez, who has been buried in the rotation behind Kanter and veteran Kyle O'Quinn after a strong rookie season. So Kanter may not be a huge upgrade for the Knicks.

Micro/Macro

This is what we should be discussing.

I'd move on from Kanter and save that cap space filling in from within if I had to make the tough and probably unpopular decision that's coming soon....

And Mcbuckets is nice too, but the hell if I'm giving that cat 7 mil or more a year.
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#154 » by dakomish23 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:04 am

Daaaarryyl wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Special shout out to those that wanted to cut him or trade him for Anderson.

Thankfully Perry is in charge.

Still too early, but Perry may have a feather in his cap with this trade.

And yet I really do hope he defers to Gaines come draft time....

We all hope that!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#155 » by dakomish23 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:07 am

Toneatbk wrote:Even if the Knicks got a bag of chips for melo, the change in locker room atmosphere alone won the trade.

This is a load of garbage. Dude was voted teammate of the year and the guys had zero issues with him.

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#156 » by dakomish23 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:07 am

rammagen wrote:
Greenie wrote:
rammagen wrote:Not so sure about that. Notice the difference between Sessions and Jack I think if Jack were running the point and Melo was here we would be about the same, 500

It’s been a problem for decades

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
rammagen
Head Coach

Post#157 » by rammagen » Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:31 am

dakomish23 wrote:
rammagen wrote:
Greenie wrote:

You cant disagree when was the last time we had decent pg play that was drafted by the team Charlie Ward?
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#158 » by dakomish23 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 2:52 am

rammagen wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
rammagen wrote:jack is by no means the solution but noticed since he began playing the team flows better then with session, Frank just needs time but already looks like pg that could thrive pass and defense first is what this team needs

You cant disagree when was the last time we had decent pg play that was drafted by the team Charlie Ward?

Also the last time we extended a draft pick :lol:

This team has continued to apply bandaid after bandaid to the position and have never learned their lesson.

You don’t need great PG play to be a contender, but terrible PG play will absolutely destroy the team.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#159 » by malik959 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 5:38 am

NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,304

Post#160 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:59 am

draft picks hurt. gallo, chandler, felton are all dissapointments. noone won anything in that trade
im bout dat action boss

Return to New York Knicks