ImageImageImageImageImage

Did the Knicks win the Melo trade?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,356

Re: Did the Knicks win the Melo trade? 

Post#161 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:08 am

malik959 wrote:

be a good sport and post a felton video or gallo or chandler aswell. onsided hatin is just troll and totally off topic
im bout dat action boss
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,233

Post#162 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Dec 5, 2017 11:01 am

Seems like both teams lost

:D
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#163 » by NYKAL » Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:48 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Toneatbk wrote:Even if the Knicks got a bag of chips for melo, the change in locker room atmosphere alone won the trade.

This is a load of garbage. Dude was voted teammate of the year and the guys had zero issues with him.

yeah, re-writing history to fit your narrative is weak as hell. Melo had enough warts that there is no need to make up crap.

This team doesn't look dysfunctional which in itself is a vast improvement.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#164 » by Greenie » Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:28 pm

NYKAL wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Toneatbk wrote:Even if the Knicks got a bag of chips for melo, the change in locker room atmosphere alone won the trade.

This is a load of garbage. Dude was voted teammate of the year and the guys had zero issues with him.

yeah, re-writing history to fit your narrative is weak as hell. Melo had enough warts that there is no need to make up crap.

Last years dysfunctional atmosphere came from Phil.

We really didn’t have that before then unless you want to count JR’s antics.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#165 » by NYKAL » Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:31 pm

Greenie wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

The Marbury years definitely fit that description. Isiah Thomas & most of LAYDUMS tenure count imo
Greenie
RealGM

Post#166 » by Greenie » Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:34 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Greenie wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

The Marbury years definitely fit that description. Isiah Thomas & most of LAYDUMS tenure count imo

Just talking Melo, but yes, we are very acquainted with being fans of a dysfunctional organization.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,838

Post#167 » by Spree2Houston » Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:18 pm

We won the trade. Sometimes I wonder if we could've gotten Oladipo with Kanter since OKC was just trying to dump Oladipo's contract at the time before the George trade
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#168 » by Daaaarryyl » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:01 am

NoStatsGuy wrote:draft picks hurt. gallo, chandler, felton are all dissapointments. noone won anything in that trade

LOL, I think the topic is about the trade made 4 months ago.
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#169 » by DrKnick » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:41 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Seems like both teams lost

:D

But one must win.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,356

Post#170 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:35 pm

Daaaarryyl wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:draft picks hurt. gallo, chandler, felton are all dissapointments. noone won anything in that trade

oh yea right.. "the melo trade" somehow still is associated to the original one lol.. my b
im bout dat action boss
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Post#171 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:43 pm

Technically we lost because it made us a better team. It's so difficult being a Knicks fan!! :lol:
:beer: RIP mags
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,894

Post#172 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:26 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
He would have passed to Melo and the jab step ISO king would have stopped ball movement and chucked bricks. He's got RFW at the point and PFG on the wing. 9-12. Rubio wouldn't have made a bit of difference. Glad he's gone.

Melo takes 4 iso shots a game for them while taking 5 catch and shoot 3’s for them.

Have you watched the games? How he played here is not what’s happening over there. Even his defense is better, though there was no place to go but up :lol:

PG shot 2-17 and Russ shot 9-22 tonight.

Melo? 4-10.

Yeah...and? What does him over there have to do with him here and Rubio passing him the ball? He HAS to defer there. He never would here.

The trade worked in our favor for a change. I don't care what happens to Melo or OKC honestly. It worked out well for us. That never happens.

Funny thing is....Olympic Melo would be a great fit here. 3rd option catch and shoot Melo.

When Melo has played with a real point guard he has typically played his best. JKidd, Billups being the examples.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Toneatbk
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#173 » by Toneatbk » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:27 am

Each game we see players calling each other out especially on defense, don’t think that would fly if melo still was here.
Pass blunts not judgement.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#174 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:59 am

Remember back in the day, the good ole addition by subtraction theme that followed Marbury? Well if early returns are any indication of what's to come, the Knicks easily won the trade. Melo might be the more talented player, but it shows that you need the team to buy in to what the coach is preaching. The Knicks are finally doing that, their playing defense and moving the ball. Melo had his chance with Woodson and let the team tune him out in the second year, so you can't even say this year would've been the same if Melo was still around and Phil gone.

Knicks won the trade just because it allowed us to reset the culture and allow the franchise to run through Porzingis which needed to happen.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,216

Post#175 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:13 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Remember back in the day, the good ole addition but subtraction theme that followed Marbury? Well if early returns are any indication of what's to come, the Knicks easily won the trade. Melo might be the more talented player, but it shows that you need the team to buy in to what the coach is preaching. The Knicks are finally doing that, their playing defense and moving the ball. Melo had his chance with Woodson and let the team tune him out in the second year, so you can't even say this year would've been the same if Melo was still around and Phil gone.

Knicks won the trade just because it allowed us to reset the culture and allow the franchise to run through Porzingis which needed to happen.

Agreed. And Melo's delusion that he's a # 1 was never going to lessen as a Knick, so the best thing for him was to go somewhere where he became a piece of whatever puzzle he joined and is no longer the central focus of the team.

I still blame Phil more than Melo. I know Melo doesn't have a clue about building team culture or roster construction since he wanted everything to run through him, but personnel decisions are not his job. The only guy who seems to design teams as a player is Lebron. Every other player in the league is paid to play and that's what Melo does in the way he knows how.

Phil should've know better than to resign Melo with a NTC. He could have traded him, but the best thing to do would have been a sign and trade at the end of his previous deal coordinated with an interested team.

For a smart guy, Phil was pretty out to lunch with the notion he could mold Melo and optimize him. The book on Melo was written long before Phil arrived and anybody with a clear mind would've known you're not getting Melo to become a triangle disciple. Phil the psychological zen master was completely inept in deciphering Melo's willingness to cooperate and pretty much the only person who didn't realize this was Phil. That's why I've always said Phil's hubris doomed his attempt at management.

So too much water was under the bridge already for Melo even with Phil fired. He had to go for his own well being and nobody can deny that.

That we are better without him is obvious, but since I think Melo is barely a net positive player that doesn't surprise me. He may become more net positive being a sidekick which is where he always belonged. He was doomed to fail in NYC because his own lack of self-appraisal and then later Phil's hubris. Good luck to him in OKC. They may not be a truly well built team, but he'll be better as player there regardless.
ImageImageImage
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#176 » by blanko » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:44 am

Kanter and oladipo would have been amazing.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,355
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#177 » by BKlutch » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:09 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:

oh yea right.. "the melo trade" somehow still is associated to the original one lol.. my b

This is really the "Kanter Trade," not the "Melo Trade." I understand the confusion.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Handledatruth
Head Coach
And1: 1,729

Post#178 » by Handledatruth » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:34 pm

malik959 wrote:

Damn ya'll be on the mans jock. I promise you I haven't watched an OKC game since he left. I consider myself a Knick fan first.

Alternative titles for this thread:

"Should Kanter be a captain?"
"Dougie gets more than buckets"
"Courtney Lee getting it done"

But no, we get this thread that reeks of ESPN click bait, so that videos like the above get posted. We are better than this folks...
Greenie
RealGM

Post#179 » by Greenie » Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:56 pm

Handledatruth wrote:
malik959 wrote:

Damn ya'll be on the mans jock. I promise you I haven't watched an OKC game since he left. I consider myself a Knick fan first.

But no, we get this thread that reeks of ESPN click bait, so that videos like the above get posted. We are better than this folks...

I already said it’s a bait thread. The only thing that’s happening in here is throwing more insults and vitriol at a dude that doesn’t even play here anymore.

Long posts full of condescending insults is a thing in here. But people are happy he’s gone right? It’s as if they can not let go of the whipping boy. This crap needs to stop but it won’t. Why? It’s deeper than basketball.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,355
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#180 » by BKlutch » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:54 am

Greenie wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:
malik959 wrote:

I already said it’s a bait thread. The only thing that’s happening in here is throwing more insults and vitriol at a dude that doesn’t even play here anymore.

Long posts full of condescending insults is a thing in here. But people are happy he’s gone right? It’s as if they can not let go of the whipping boy. This crap needs to stop but it won’t. Why? It’s deeper than basketball.

This is not a bait thread - it is very important for us to understand what has changed and to evaluate how the current front office is doing as opposed to Phil and his predecessors.

The main problem with this thread is that this really is NOT the Melo trade, but the Kanter trade. So we need to see if we did well in trading for him. Overwhelmingly, people on this board feel we did.

For those who want to blame Phil for much of the trouble we had, one of the worst things Phil did was signing Melo to the kind of contract that obligated us to create a team focused on him as the major piece. I suspect that, at the time of the signing, Phil had no idea how much that contract (not Melo, the contract) would hurt us by limiting our flexibility to reshape the team. Instead,Phil thought that not re-signing Melo would represent a major failure at the start of his Presidency. In addition to not having good relationships with basketball people, he also did not have a comprehensive enough understanding of the modern league and the players when he started in this role.

The videos posted here of Melo playing for OKC were not intended to make him a whipping boy or insult those people who like him and were his fans when he played here. Those videos show that he is doing more of all the bad things we really disliked about him when he was here. They show that what we traded away was this year's Melo, a player even worse than last year's Melo. What we traded away was worth even less than what we had playing for us last year.

Even though OKC may be able to use his talents in a way that allows him to be an important contributor, it is unlikely that we'd be able to play the kind of ball we're playing now if he were still on the team. So much of what we enjoy about this year's Knicks just wouldn't be happening.

People on both sides of this issue have enough to discuss about the team, the trade, and how to evaluate the coaches and the front office that nobody should feel the need to attack others personally during this discussion. Attack the ideas and attack the players on both sides of the trade, but not those who express their beliefs.

Unfortunately, some folks react as if the fate of a player they root or rooted for or against reflects on them, and in their defensiveness, they attack other board members. We can't stop people from doing that, but those who do are gradually being marginalized.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Return to New York Knicks