ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,680

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#7681 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:32 pm

Honestly I side with the Daily News here. The Yankees are in a great position to be a great team for the next decade and you're not going to come because you're essentially scared of the bright lights and Media? Also because you're not going to be the biggest star on the team? Yeah sign me up for not signing that guy.... I'm cool with having a guy like Judge who handles it like a grown ass man every time he steps up to the plate and deals with the media afterwards. No ego. No attitude. Just shows up, embraces the fans and answers the media respectfully and bounces...
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7682 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:43 pm

Listen the NY Media has hurt MORE NY franchises going back to Tom Seaver's demand to be traded from the Mets. Don't forget former Daily News writer Rob Parker banished to Detroit after he called Mickey Mantle a BUM and a drunk the day he DIED. The Daily News was nasty when Cliff Lee spurned the Yankees. How about AJ Burnett who was working out a divorce during the season?!?!?! We can keep going...but you get the idea.

The media in NY is so vile, as a high profile athlete, do YOU want these guys embellishing your personal life or framing you as some malcontent. Those FAs talk...much how Lebron has spread throughout the NBA that FAs shouldn't come to the Knicks.

Aaron Judge should be commended but let's not overlook how huge of an adjustment it is moving to another country.

TANAKA should be commended after Andrew Marchand went on a one man mission to say he was "done." And that guy was the BEST post season pitcher in the rotation last season.

And no, that's not necessarily "everywhere."
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#7683 » by GIMME_DATT » Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:02 pm

Alex Cobb is somebody worth going after he has proven track record in the AL East
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#7684 » by Mecca » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:43 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Listen the NY Media has hurt MORE NY franchises going back to Tom Seaver's demand to be traded from the Mets. Don't forget former Daily News writer Rob Parker banished to Detroit after he called Mickey Mantle a BUM and a drunk the day he DIED. The Daily News was nasty when Cliff Lee spurned the Yankees. How about AJ Burnett who was working out a divorce during the season?!?!?! We can keep going...but you get the idea.

The media in NY is so vile, as a high profile athlete, do YOU want these guys embellishing your personal life or framing you as some malcontent. Those FAs talk...much how Lebron has spread throughout the NBA that FAs shouldn't come to the Knicks.

Aaron Judge should be commended but let's not overlook how huge of an adjustment it is moving to another country.

TANAKA should be commended after Andrew Marchand went on a one man mission to say he was "done." And that guy was the BEST post season pitcher in the rotation last season.

NY athletes also become the most beloved when they win and have the most passionate fan base. It's a 2 way street. Ohtani is soft. Buttercup.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#7685 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:54 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Listen the NY Media has hurt MORE NY franchises going back to Tom Seaver's demand to be traded from the Mets. Don't forget former Daily News writer Rob Parker banished to Detroit after he called Mickey Mantle a BUM and a drunk the day he DIED. The Daily News was nasty when Cliff Lee spurned the Yankees. How about AJ Burnett who was working out a divorce during the season?!?!?! We can keep going...but you get the idea.

Not defending the media they can be super over the top and annoying. But you're making my point. It takes a certain type of athlete to make it here. If you're not mentally strong enough to deal with that kind of nonsense then I wouldn't want you on my team no matter what unless you're supremely talented like Lebron. And even in Baseball having one person doesn't make as much of a difference as basketball does. The Angels haven't made the playoffs the past 2 years with arguably the best player in the league on their team. That would never happen in basketball. Otani can kick rocks and wallow away in San Diego or whatever soft place he wants to go. Good for him for recognizing his personal discomforts, but I hope he enjoys never winning anything of significance in the MLB because that's what is going to happen to his career with his current attitude. Again give me a guy like Judge over Otani 10 times out of 10.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,334

Post#7686 » by Phish Tank » Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:00 pm

all the markets are tough. That's the price you pay to be a major athlete, especially in a 24 hour news cycle. Part of life.

There's no such thing as a friendly media environment, unless you live in fantasy land
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,961

Post#7687 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:35 pm

Just curious, will Harper or Machado be chickens if they don’t sign here? It seems to me that a lot of Yankee fans are still living in the glory days when it was automatic that a free agent was going to sign with you.

It’s funny to me that because Ohtani didn’t sign with the Yanks, Red Sox etc, everyone is calling him a punk and a chicken.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,362

Post#7688 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:43 pm

Welcome to the Chess Club! Look, there's Moocow with the glasses right up front. :lol:

JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,399

Post#7689 » by JXL » Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:57 pm

Not to poo-poo on your rant, but tell that to Eli Manning when the NY Media called him "brother to Peyton", then won 2 SB titles. Nowadays, people bow to him because he won those titles.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#7690 » by Mecca » Tue Dec 5, 2017 10:19 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Just curious, will Harper or Machado be chickens if they don’t sign here? It seems to me that a lot of Yankee fans are still living in the glory days when it was automatic that a free agent was going to sign with you.

It’s funny to me that because Ohtani didn’t sign with the Yanks, Red Sox etc, everyone is calling him a punk and a chicken.

Reports state that he specifically didn't want to be in a big market, so yes.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#7691 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:12 am

Phish Tank wrote:

all the markets are tough. That's the price you pay to be a major athlete, especially in a 24 hour news cycle. Part of life.

There's no such thing as a friendly media environment, unless you live in fantasy land

No media, no money, no exposure, no brand power. I live in Asia now, and the Yankee brand is powerful. The media presence there might not have gotten us Ohtani, but we did get other players off of that presence. Basically, the same reason we were able to get CC, get Tex, are the same reasons we lose Lee, lose Ohtani. Can't hate on it.

Some can't cut it (Pavano). Some know they can't cut it and choose not to come (Ohtani, Lee). And the ones who come are the ones who get championships.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#7692 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:39 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Just curious, will Harper or Machado be chickens if they don’t sign here? It seems to me that a lot of Yankee fans are still living in the glory days when it was automatic that a free agent was going to sign with you.

2 totally different scenarios there. Machado and Harper already have established homes/families/relationships in their respective cities. It makes more sense that they would not want to come here because of what they have already.

Otani had his pick of the litter (with money being almost no factor since there was a cap on what teams could spend on him) with zero relationships with any franchise and chose not to come here BECAUSE of the bright lights, media and concerns of not being the star of the team. That's a chit attitude to have and makes you a chicken. Again I commend him for recognizing this and not putting himself or the Yankees in an uncomfortable spot being somewhere he really didn't want to be but that doesn't change the fact that he's a chicken for it :lol:
Bleedin' blue
Sixth Man
And1: 16

Post#7693 » by Bleedin' blue » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:24 pm

Lee had a son with leukemia and wanted to be closer to CHOP for treatment.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,961

Post#7694 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:04 am

Knicksfan1992 wrote:2 totally different scenarios there. Machado and Harper already have established homes/families/relationships in their respective cities. It makes more sense that they would not want to come here because of what they have already.

Otani had his pick of the litter (with money being almost no factor since there was a cap on what teams could spend on him) with zero relationships with any franchise and chose not to come here BECAUSE of the bright lights, media and concerns of not being the star of the team. That's a chit attitude to have and makes you a chicken. Again I commend him for recognizing this and not putting himself or the Yankees in an uncomfortable spot being somewhere he really didn't want to be but that doesn't change the fact that he's a chicken for it :lol:

It's one thing if he signs with the Padres, then all the criticisms of him being a chicken would be warranted, but if he signs with just about any other team that he's linked to, than what's the excuse from fans? When was it ever said they he didn't want the bright lights, the media or was concerned with being the star of the team?

If he signs with the Padres, then all the criticisms are fair. He'd be playing baseball for a team that doesn't have a player that a casual fan could name, even though Myers is a fine player. I mean the Nomo connection is there, but aside from that it would be a foolish choice to pick San Diego. All the other teams that are linked to him are all fairly big markets, passionate fan bases and he wouldn't be the biggest player on the team.

I just don't see the correlation that Yankee fans are making in why he's a punk for wanting to be out on the West Coast. If he picks the Mariners, he'd have to live up to the legend that was Ichiro, that's more pressure than the Yankees would offer IMO. With the Angels he'd be playing next to a walking hall of fame player in Pujols and the best player in baseball in Trout. With the Giants you have Bumgarner/Posey and an old school manager in Bochy. The Rangers were able to land Darvish back when, Ohtani could actually help this team with his pitching. With the Cubs he'd be joining a loaded roster, sort of disputes everything he's getting knocked for.

To me unless he signs with the Padres, East Coast fans are just acting butt hurt.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#7695 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:47 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/aaron-boone-understands-expectations-lost-process/story?id=51626580

This is his quote. I'm not making it up.

"I'm going to be judged on wins and losses," said Boone, who will wear No. 17. "With the New York Yankees, we are chasing championships. I think I'll be, as a manager, someone who isn't chasing after wins every day. I want to get lost into the process. By doing that, I think we have a chance to get the best out of our players."

So we're not chasing after wins...did I read this wrong?
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,334

Post#7696 » by Phish Tank » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:12 am

BadNewsBarnes wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/aaron-boone-understands-expectations-lost-process/story?id=51626580

"I'm going to be judged on wins and losses," said Boone, who will wear No. 17. "With the New York Yankees, we are chasing championships. I think I'll be, as a manager, someone who isn't chasing after wins every day. I want to get lost into the process. By doing that, I think we have a chance to get the best out of our players."

he said trust the process.... the Hinkie mantra
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,229

Post#7697 » by Oscirus » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:54 am

BadNewsBarnes wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/aaron-boone-understands-expectations-lost-process/story?id=51626580

I believe he means that he's not going to sacrifice post-season success for regular season wins, i.e plotting lineups, rotations, etc.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#7698 » by GIMME_DATT » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:11 am

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metsrefugees.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D129423%26page%3D12
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#7699 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:22 am

GIMME_DATT wrote:
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metsrefugees.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D129423%26page%3D12

Yankees aren't taking on Stanton unless the fish take Jacoby or someone else does and probably Headley would need to be cleared out also
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,358

Post#7700 » by Ray Williams » Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:44 am

He means you don’t play every game like it’s the 7th game of the World Series.Sometimes you have to eat a loss to save the bullpen.

Return to New York Knicks