2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Re: The Marvin Gaye Williams Thread 

Post#1022 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Dec 5, 2017 5:49 pm

We need to give him more shots
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1023 » by catch20two » Tue Dec 5, 2017 5:53 pm

Nope. Ever heard of too much of a good thing can make it bad. I’m perfectly fine with Marv just taking shots within the flow of the offense where most opponents don’t pay him much attention. He already shoot with a green light where he’s not hesitant to shoot whenever a defender is at least 5ft off him.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#1024 » by yosemiteben » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:10 pm

I don't understand that logic.

"He may be shooting 46% from three, but let's continue to insist that he only shoot when wide open. We can't risk that percentage going down."

I guarantee you that's not the song you'd be singing if Lamb was hitting 46% of his threes.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1025 » by catch20two » Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:08 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I don't understand that logic.

"He may be shooting 46% from three, but let's continue to insist that he only shoot when wide open. We can't risk that percentage going down."

I guarantee you that's not the song you'd be singing if Lamb was hitting 46% of his threes.

I have no idea why you don’t understand that logic.

It’s logical thinking that his percentages will go down if he’s shooting more. It’s logical thinking that he’ll miss contested shots more often than the wide open ones he take now.

Marv already has a green light to hoist 3s whenever he has a good look. There’s no need to go back and try to find the potential that made him a #2 overall pick back in 2005 thinking that we finally untapped it and can make him a star at 31 years old.

Let me say it again with emphasis for ‘logical’ purposes, MARV IS EFFICIENT BECAUSE HE TAKE OPEN SHOTS. The luxury of Marv’s offense is that teams always forget all about him while focusing on Kemba, Dwight, Lamb, and *cough* Batum.

The Lamb shot was unnecessary. You hurt my feelings. But Lamb do need more looks with the 2nd unit lol MCW better stop tryna look for his shot and pass the ball to Lamb.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1026 » by yosemiteben » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:29 am

He could take a 10 percent hit on his efficiency and would still be our second best three point shooter. Who cares of his efficiency takes a hit, I'll take double the attempts and the efficiency hit that goes with it.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1027 » by catch20two » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:39 am

yosemiteben wrote:He could take a 10 percent hit on his efficiency and would still be our second best three point shooter. Who cares of his efficiency takes a hit, I'll take double the attempts and the efficiency hit that goes with it.

You’re practically begging for me to start calling him Messy Marv again. I’ve grown to like this reinvented version of Marv where he just spot up with a quick trigger. You really want Marv trying to initiate and create his own offense?

If Marv start looking for his offense he’ll look as bad as Frank. I rather him to stay efficient and not mess with what’s working for him.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1028 » by catch20two » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:44 am

While we’re at it I might as well look up other players that are shooting high percentages because they only shoot when they’re open or get good looks and then deem how great they could be if they got the ball more.

I’ll start with DeAndre Jordan.

DEANDRE JORDAN SHOOTS 68%. IF THE CLIPPERS GAVE HIM THE BALL MORE HE COULD BE PRIME SHAQ. EVEN IF HIS SHOOTING PERCENTAGES DIP 10% HE’LL STILL BE ONE OF THE BEST SCORING BIGS IN THE LEAGUE.

Sometimes I have to use analogies to help people understand how ridiculous they sound.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1029 » by yosemiteben » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:01 am

If Jeremy Lamb or Kemba Walker was shooting 46% from three (or say was scoring 15 ppg in limited minutes), would you encourage Cliff to intentionally limit their touches or minutes so as not diminish their efficiency?

This seems like a massive blind spot.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1030 » by catch20two » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:22 am

yosemiteben wrote:If Jeremy Lamb or Kemba Walker was shooting 46% from three (or say was scoring 15 ppg in limited minutes), would you encourage Cliff to intentionally limit their touches or minutes so as not diminish their efficiency?

This seems like a massive blind spot.

I don’t know what games you be watching. Clifford don’t intentionally limit Marv from touches. Marv has a green light to shoot whenever he wants. Defenses don’t pay him much attention and that’s why he’s usually open and it’s a great thing that he’s making those open 3s with good efficiency.

I wish Frank would make those open 3s with the same efficiency. Heck I wish Batum could make those open 3s with the same efficiency.

Maybe what you’re trying to say is that Marv should be playing more minutes instead of splitting his playing time with Frank. I might agree with you there. The way Marv is playing right now he should be getting 30 minutes a night instead of 25. But you know that’s Clifford’s preset rotations. We can argue that in a different thread.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1031 » by catch20two » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:26 am

I want to make a poll thread “Should We Run More Of The Offense Thru Marv?” lol. I’d love to see the opinions.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,667

Post#1032 » by Diop » Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:01 am

If they could design plays that end with Marv getting open shots, I’m all for it.

Otherwise the only time I would want Marv to create is if he has a small man on him in the post
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#1033 » by Braggins » Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:35 am

Diop wrote:If they could design plays that end with Marv getting open shots, I’m all for it.

Otherwise the only time I would want Marv to create is if he has a small man on him in the post

Its pretty nice that Marv actually can consistently punish size mismatches in the post. He doesn't do anything fancy but he uses his size for effective simple back downs and usually finishes. Frank seems to have way better post moves than Marv, but he sometimes gets out-muscled by smaller players and sometimes settles for iffy fade-aways even when he actually does have the strength advantage.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#1034 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:19 pm

We need to start winning. Things are getting tense around her
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1035 » by yosemiteben » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm not saying Marv needs to be a primary playmaker, just shoot 2-3 more threes per game. Not some dramatic shift in our offense.

Weird to be like nah we shouldn't encourage our 46% three point shooter to shoot more.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#1036 » by catch20two » Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:41 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I'm not saying Marv needs to be a primary playmaker, just shoot 2-3 more threes per game. Not some dramatic shift in our offense.

Weird to be like nah we shouldn't encourage our 46% three point shooter to shoot more.

Then argue for Clifford/Silas to give him more than 25 minutes per game and take away the minutes we give Frank to shoot inefficiently.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,503

Post#1037 » by HornetJail » Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:18 pm

catch20two wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:I'm not saying Marv needs to be a primary playmaker, just shoot 2-3 more threes per game. Not some dramatic shift in our offense.

Then argue for Clifford/Silas to give him more than 25 minutes per game and take away the minutes we give Frank to shoot inefficiently.

Agreed, but even the minutes Marvin is on the floor, we aren't running running plays to get him open looks. No reason he should be taking only 3.5 3PA a game. That starts with better ball movement, and with the bigs screening more.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#1038 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:43 am

One way to get Marv a lot more open looks would be to pair him with Cody instead of Dwight...
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,667

Post#1039 » by Diop » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:26 am

Marv would be great at Cleveland, probably fit better than love.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,564

Post#1040 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 2, 2018 6:59 pm

24% from 3 in Mar, 32% since asb

Return to Charlotte Hornets