ImageImageImage

2018 Free Agency: Looking ahead at LeBron etc.

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Re: 2018 Free Agency: Looking ahead at LeBron etc. 

Post#121 » by sixers hoops » Sun Dec 3, 2017 7:31 pm

long range bomber wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
long range bomber wrote:Highly unlikely that Redick re-signs for the room exception.

I don't know how much the room exception amount is, but I think that Redick could very well sign a low value long term deal with us if we get Lebron or George. We would be a contender, and he just cashed in a big deal with us for this year.

I know that money matters, but I don't think that money is the only factor, especially for a guy like Redick in his current situation.

Signing on for 4 years from age 33 to 37 with a team expected to go deep in the playoffs every year is a very appealing notion.

The Room exception for next season $4,544,400 with up to 5% raise for a maximum of 2 Years. No need to sell me on how good PHI will be and how well JJ fits but good luck getting JJ to sign for only 2years totalling $9,316,020.

I think it’s possible to get Redick on that kind of deal, depending on what other offers are out there. I’m sure staying close to his wife and kids, as well as staying as a core member of a young, possible contending team is EXTREMELY APPEALING to him. He has made a lot of money in his career and likely prioritizes winning moreso than a younger player.

However, there is certainly a tipping point where you have to choose money over location, friends, and winning. If he gets a 3 year, 45 million offer from some other team, or even a 2 year 30 million, that is a lot of money to leave on the table.

I think he is clearly a “take less money to stay with current team” type of guy. Just matters how much less it would be.
long range bomber
Bench Warmer
And1: 52

Post#122 » by long range bomber » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:06 am

sixers hoops wrote:
long range bomber wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
I don't know how much the room exception amount is, but I think that Redick could very well sign a low value long term deal with us if we get Lebron or George. We would be a contender, and he just cashed in a big deal with us for this year.

I know that money matters, but I don't think that money is the only factor, especially for a guy like Redick in his current situation.

Signing on for 4 years from age 33 to 37 with a team expected to go deep in the playoffs every year is a very appealing notion.

The Room exception for next season $4,544,400 with up to 5% raise for a maximum of 2 Years. No need to sell me on how good PHI will be and how well JJ fits but good luck getting JJ to sign for only 2years totalling $9,316,020.

I think it’s possible to get Redick on that kind of deal, depending on what other offers are out there. I’m sure staying close to his wife and kids, as well as staying as a core member of a young, possible contending team is EXTREMELY APPEALING to him. He has made a lot of money in his career and likely prioritizes winning moreso than a younger player.

However, there is certainly a tipping point where you have to choose money over location, friends, and winning. If he gets a 3 year, 45 million offer from some other team, or even a 2 year 30 million, that is a lot of money to leave on the table.

I think he is clearly a “take less money to stay with current team” type of guy. Just matters how much less it would be.

So if Redick re-signed using the Room exception he would receive $9,316,020 over 2 years with PHI.

Or IF contenders were to offer him their full taxpayer MLE then he could possibly:
1) Sign with GS for $13,895,565 over 3 Years. He would fit in backing up the splash brothers plus surrounded by defenders.
2) Sign with CLE for $13,895,565 over 3 Years. He would flourish with LeBron. Look at what Korver is doing at at 36.
3) Sign with HOU for $13,895,565 over 3 Years. They already have Gordon off the bench but D'Antoni always wants more shooters. This is the same D'Antoni who players Quentin Richardson and Joe Johnson as his PFs back in PHO.

All 3 of those options give him a better chance at contending immediately, more money, and more security than the room exception with PHI, right?
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#123 » by sixers hoops » Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:08 am

long range bomber wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
long range bomber wrote:The Room exception for next season $4,544,400 with up to 5% raise for a maximum of 2 Years. No need to sell me on how good PHI will be and how well JJ fits but good luck getting JJ to sign for only 2years totalling $9,316,020.

So if Redick re-signed using the Room exception he would receive $9,316,020 over 2 years with PHI.

Or IF contenders were to offer him their full taxpayer MLE then he could possibly:
1) Sign with GS for $13,895,565 over 3 Years. He would fit in backing up the splash brothers plus surrounded by defenders.
2) Sign with CLE for $13,895,565 over 3 Years. He would flourish with LeBron. Look at what Korver is doing at at 36.
3) Sign with HOU for $13,895,565 over 3 Years. They already have Gordon off the bench but D'Antoni always wants more shooters. This is the same D'Antoni who players Quentin Richardson and Joe Johnson as his PFs back in PHO.

All 3 of those options give him a better chance at contending immediately, more money, and more security than the room exception with PHI, right?

My premise if you follow the conversation back was that he would consider the Sixers if they signed an impact, max guy ahead of him. So with the understanding that we get a Lebron or George. Otherwise, we’d have plenty of money to pay Redick.

I think Lebron leaves Cleveland and they will stink.

I think those other teams might have other plans for their money. GS has been struggling to avoid adding salary, like the Iguodala situation, and will not sign Redick if it would compromise a Klay signing the following year.

It seems anti-Morey to sign Redick for two year deal when he always keeps the door open because, as he said, he values the max guys.

Again, you argued with me all summer that there was NO WAY the Sixers don’t pick up Okafor’s option, therefore, clearing max cap space was not a possibility. And you said you would save my prediction that they don’t pick up his option to rub it in my face when it happens.

Same scenario, I’m throwing out realistic possibilities, but have no idea if they will come to fruition. While you kept saying they absolutely would pick up Okafor’s option, I said they may, but not picking up his option was a definite possibility. And they didn’t pick up his option.

Do I know what Redick’s market will be? No. Teams plans are fluid. Of course we can present possible offers for him. They may or may not happen. If the Sixers get a Lebron or George, and the market doesn’t give Redick enticing enough offers, then he certainly would consider us.
long range bomber
Bench Warmer

Post#124 » by long range bomber » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:48 am

sixers hoops wrote:
long range bomber wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

My premise if you follow the conversation back was that he would consider the Sixers if they signed an impact, max guy ahead of him. So with the understanding that we get a Lebron or George. Otherwise, we’d have plenty of money to pay Redick.

I think those other teams might have other plans for their money. GS has been struggling to avoid adding salary, like the Iguodala situation, and will not sign Redick if it would compromise a Klay signing the following year.

It seems anti-Morey to sign Redick for two year deal when he always keeps the door open because, as he said, he values the max guys.

Again, you argued with me all summer that there was NO WAY the Sixers don’t pick up Okafor’s option, therefore, clearing max cap space was not a possibility. And you said you would save my prediction that they don’t pick up his option to rub it in my face when it happens.

Same scenario, I’m throwing out realistic possibilities, but have no idea if they will come to fruition. While you kept saying they absolutely would pick up Okafor’s option, I said they may, but not picking up his option was a definite possibility. And they didn’t pick up his option.

Do I know what Redick’s market will be? No. Teams plans are fluid. Of course we can present possible offers for him. They may or may not happen. If the Sixers get a Lebron or George, and the market doesn’t give Redick enticing enough offers, then he certainly would consider us.

Congratulations on your Okafor prediction.

Also, I understand the whole max FA then exception sequence. Also my post was stating both sides of the arguement of Redick either re-signing with PHI OR signing with a more immediate contender. I was merely stating facts of how much he can sign for and what top teams (this season as we have no idea who will be contenders next season).

Some people may not realise how much PHI’s room exception offer could have been compared to others so that is why I was sharing it.

Regarding my statement “All 3 of those options give him a better chance at contending immediately, more money, and more security than the room exception with PHI, right?“ - I was only looking at it from only Redick’s point of view, not any teams view. No need to express common knowledge like cavs will suck without bron or GS will look to save on the margins to keep core 4 together.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#125 » by Kolkmania » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:36 am

Paul George is close to the perfect fit to our core, he's a relatively young two-way wing who can both space the floor and create off the dribble. Which teams are we even competing with? We know the Lakers are going all-in, they can offer George + Cousins a max offer if they trade/stretch Deng or at least come close to those numbers with some creativity.

Houston might be a team who wants to add superstars, trading Anderson would be the key in that case.

There are other teams with cap space, or could enter the discussion with a minimal amount of moves, but none of these teams offer a roster to compete with in the nearby future. That Paul Gasol contract keeps puzzling me. Perhaps is Dallas an outsider, Mark Cuban might pull a rabit out of a hat.

I've never really looked into the numbers and the possible teams we might have to compete with, but Paul George might actually sign here? We play OKC 15 december at WFC, that could be a really important game in hindsight.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#126 » by smittybanton » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:22 pm

Hoops Rumors Glossary: Mid-Level Exception
December 7th, 2017 at 12:59pm CST by Luke Adams
The mid-level exception is the most common way for over-the-cap NBA teams to sign free agents from other clubs for more than the minimum salary. It ensures that each club heads into the offseason with a little spending flexibility, even if that team is deep into luxury tax territory.

Each team is eligible to use a specific type of mid-level exception depending on its proximity to the salary cap. The most lucrative kind of mid-level is available to teams that are over the cap but less than $6MM above the tax threshold. Still, clubs deep into the tax, and even those under the cap, have access to lesser versions of the MLE. Here’s a glance at how all three forms of the exception are structured:

For over-the-cap teams:

Commonly called either the full mid-level exception, the non-taxpayer’s mid-level exception or simply the mid-level exception.
Contract can cover up to four seasons.
First-year salary is worth $8,406,000 in 2017/18.
Once used, the team cannot surpass the “tax apron” ($6MM above tax line) for the remainder of the season.
For teams above the cap and the tax apron:

Commonly called the taxpayer’s mid-level exception.
Contract can cover up to three seasons.
First-year salary is worth $5,192,000 in 2017/18.
For teams with cap room:

Commonly called the room exception.
Contract can cover no more than two seasons.
First-year salary is worth $4,328,000 in 2017/18.
Each form of the mid-level allows for annual raises of up to 5% of the value of the first season’s salary. Back in June, we broke down the maximum total salaries that players signed using the mid-level exception could earn. Those numbers can be found right here.

While teams can use their entire mid-level exception to sign one player, as the Spurs did this year with Rudy Gay, clubs are also allowed to split the mid-level among multiple players, and that’s a common course of action. For instance, the Grizzlies have used their MLE to complete four separate signings, devoting parts of it to Ben McLemore, Ivan Rabb, Rade Zagorac, and Dillon Brooks.

Players drafted near the top of the second round often sign contracts for part of the mid-level because it allows teams to give them contracts for more years and more money than the minimum salary exception provides. For example, the Grizzlies used their mid-level to sign Ivan Rabb to a three-year contract that starts at $950,000. Without the MLE, Memphis would have been limited to a two-year deal starting at $815,615, and would have only had Early Bird rights on Rabb when his contract ended, rather than full Bird rights.

Some front offices prefer to leave all or part of their mid-level exception unused in the offseason so it’s still available near the end of the regular season — at that point, a contender could use its MLE to try to sign an impact veteran on the buyout market, while a rebuilding club could use it to lock up an intriguing developmental player to a long-term contract.

Nice breakdown. Would love to sign Paul George, then re-sign TJ to a deal that takes us $1 over the cap, then use the MLE to get a very good player to take a discount to play for a winner. The point being to add a signifcant talent AND have a tradeable asset. Especially since reports say there's not going to be many teams with cap space. After the top guys go, could be a buyer's market for the middling guys. If KCP, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Pat McCaw, Tyreke Evans, Nerlens don't get the offers they're looking for, we'd be in a position to swoop in. Sign George (or LBJ) first, then sit back and wait til the end of free agency to get a good player who's lost the game of musical chairs.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,040

Post#127 » by Sixerscan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:43 pm

smittybanton wrote:
Hoops Rumors Glossary: Mid-Level Exception
December 7th, 2017 at 12:59pm CST by Luke Adams
The mid-level exception is the most common way for over-the-cap NBA teams to sign free agents from other clubs for more than the minimum salary. It ensures that each club heads into the offseason with a little spending flexibility, even if that team is deep into luxury tax territory.

Each team is eligible to use a specific type of mid-level exception depending on its proximity to the salary cap. The most lucrative kind of mid-level is available to teams that are over the cap but less than $6MM above the tax threshold. Still, clubs deep into the tax, and even those under the cap, have access to lesser versions of the MLE. Here’s a glance at how all three forms of the exception are structured:

For over-the-cap teams:

Commonly called either the full mid-level exception, the non-taxpayer’s mid-level exception or simply the mid-level exception.
Contract can cover up to four seasons.
First-year salary is worth $8,406,000 in 2017/18.
Once used, the team cannot surpass the “tax apron” ($6MM above tax line) for the remainder of the season.
For teams above the cap and the tax apron:

Commonly called the taxpayer’s mid-level exception.
Contract can cover up to three seasons.
First-year salary is worth $5,192,000 in 2017/18.
For teams with cap room:

Commonly called the room exception.
Contract can cover no more than two seasons.
First-year salary is worth $4,328,000 in 2017/18.
Each form of the mid-level allows for annual raises of up to 5% of the value of the first season’s salary. Back in June, we broke down the maximum total salaries that players signed using the mid-level exception could earn. Those numbers can be found right here.

While teams can use their entire mid-level exception to sign one player, as the Spurs did this year with Rudy Gay, clubs are also allowed to split the mid-level among multiple players, and that’s a common course of action. For instance, the Grizzlies have used their MLE to complete four separate signings, devoting parts of it to Ben McLemore, Ivan Rabb, Rade Zagorac, and Dillon Brooks.

Players drafted near the top of the second round often sign contracts for part of the mid-level because it allows teams to give them contracts for more years and more money than the minimum salary exception provides. For example, the Grizzlies used their mid-level to sign Ivan Rabb to a three-year contract that starts at $950,000. Without the MLE, Memphis would have been limited to a two-year deal starting at $815,615, and would have only had Early Bird rights on Rabb when his contract ended, rather than full Bird rights.

Some front offices prefer to leave all or part of their mid-level exception unused in the offseason so it’s still available near the end of the regular season — at that point, a contender could use its MLE to try to sign an impact veteran on the buyout market, while a rebuilding club could use it to lock up an intriguing developmental player to a long-term contract.

Nice breakdown. Would love to sign Paul George, then re-sign TJ to a deal that takes us $1 over the cap, then use the MLE to get a very good player to take a discount to play for a winner. The point being to add a signifcant talent AND have a tradeable asset. Especially since reports say there's not going to be many teams with cap space. After the top guys go, could be a buyer's market for the middling guys. If KCP, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Pat McCaw, Tyreke Evans, Nerlens don't get the offers they're looking for, we'd be in a position to swoop in. Sign George (or LBJ) first, then sit back and wait til the end of free agency to get a good player who's lost the game of musical chairs.

Cant use cap space and the MLE in the same off season I'm pretty sure.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,040

Post#128 » by Sixerscan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:55 pm

long range bomber wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
long range bomber wrote:So if Redick re-signed using the Room exception he would receive $9,316,020 over 2 years with PHI.

Also, I understand the whole max FA then exception sequence. Also my post was stating both sides of the arguement of Redick either re-signing with PHI OR signing with a more immediate contender. I was merely stating facts of how much he can sign for and what top teams (this season as we have no idea who will be contenders next season).

Some people may not realise how much PHI’s room exception offer could have been compared to others so that is why I was sharing it.

Regarding my statement “All 3 of those options give him a better chance at contending immediately, more money, and more security than the room exception with PHI, right?“ - I was only looking at it from only Redick’s point of view, not any teams view. No need to express common knowledge like cavs will suck without bron or GS will look to save on the margins to keep core 4 together.

I believe the hope is that he got that huge one year deal this year to balance out a potential paycut for next year. (Like, maybe they only would have given him $16 million if he didn't seem open to that)

Then the following off season you could sign him to with early bird rights for a multi year deal around the midlevel.

We will see how it plays out.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#129 » by sixers hoops » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:21 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
long range bomber wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

I believe the hope is that he got that huge one year deal this year to balance out a potential paycut for next year. (Like, maybe they only would have given him $16 million if he didn't seem open to that)

Then the following off season you could sign him to with early bird rights for a multi year deal around the midlevel.

We will see how it plays out.

I think if the Sixers sign someone like Avery Bradley to the max, then Redick leaves. No reason to take peanuts when the team is choosing another backend starter over you. In addition, Redick wouldn’t sign for less to join a team marginally better than this season.

If they get an impact player, then I think he could accept them spending their money elsewhere, and he would see us as contender.

I see three options:
1) Sixers sign a stud, Redick stays for small contract.
2) Sixers strike out in free agency, so Redick gets a second balloon payment.
3) Sixers choose another backend starter to sign over Redick. He sees no reason to stay at discounted rate and leaves.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#130 » by sixers hoops » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:26 pm

long range bomber wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
long range bomber wrote:So if Redick re-signed using the Room exception he would receive $9,316,020 over 2 years with PHI.

In fairness, I didn’t predict they would not pick up his option. I just said we shouldve treated it as a realistic option. I said “if they want to clear cap space, then they won’t pick up his option.

Similarly, I feel the same about Redick. I think it is possible he comes back for the room exception. While not probable, it should be discussed as a realistic possibility.
long range bomber
Bench Warmer

Post#131 » by long range bomber » Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:32 am

sixers hoops wrote:
long range bomber wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

In fairness, I didn’t predict they would not pick up his option. I just said we shouldve treated it as a realistic option. I said “if they want to clear cap space, then they won’t pick up his option.

Similarly, I feel the same about Redick. I think it is possible he comes back for the room exception. While not probable, it should be discussed as a realistic possibility.

I get what you're saying, possible but not probable. Its worth discussing but also worth pointing out the actual figures in regards to what we can offer, and what other teams can offer.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#132 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:52 pm

I think it's going to be worth throwing a max contract offer in Aaron Gordan's direction this summer, even if Orlando is likely to match. I think his type of play is what we need alongside Simmons/Embiid.

Simmons/TJ
Fultz/JJ
Cov/Saric
Gordan/Holmes
Embiid/Amir

Thoughts?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#133 » by Kobblehead » Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:14 pm

I'm still not sold on Aaron Gordon as a max piece to put us over the top. He's really falling back to earth hard, this month.

Both his 3pt% and true shooting have dropped 10 percent each, this month.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#134 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:16 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I'm still not sold on Aaron Gordon as a max piece to put us over the top. He's really falling back to earth hard, this month.

Both his 3pt% and true shooting have dropped 10 percent each, this month.

IDK at this point, I think he's much more likely to become an all-star than not. Even though his numbers have dropped, he's still averaging 40% on 3's and nearly 62% TS. His ability to cut, shoot, and switch on D would all be extremely valuable to this team. Plus, outside of LeBron, PG13, and maybe Klay I think he's the best option out there for what this team needs.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#135 » by LongLiveHinkie » Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:37 pm

I wouldn't want Redick back if he came to us and offered to play for free. I'm so over this guy, thank goodness it was one year. His pump fake act is so old already. Just move on from him, pursue Lebron/George and add bench scorers/shooters.
Sixers2125
Junior
And1: 123

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Free Agency: Looking ahead at LeBron etc. 

Post#136 » by Sixers2125 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:53 am

LongLiveHinkie wrote:I wouldn't want Redick back if he came to us and offered to play for free. I'm so over this guy, thank goodness it was one year. His pump fake act is so old already. Just move on from him, pursue Lebron/George and add bench scorers/shooters.
I hate LeBron but I'd love to bring him here for 1 year (he does like those 1 year contracts to keep his options open now) win the chip with him, teach our guys about winning and then tell him to GTFO.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#137 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Sixers2125 wrote:
LongLiveHinkie wrote:I wouldn't want Redick back if he came to us and offered to play for free. I'm so over this guy, thank goodness it was one year. His pump fake act is so old already. Just move on from him, pursue Lebron/George and add bench scorers/shooters.
I hate LeBron but I'd love to bring him here for 1 year (he does like those 1 year contracts to keep his options open now) win the chip with him, teach our guys about winning and then tell him to GTFO.

So, you want to take a championship winning team with Lebron responsible for that and then tear it apart so you can tell Lebron to kick rocks?
Sixers2125
Junior

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 Free Agency: Looking ahead at LeBron etc. 

Post#138 » by Sixers2125 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:01 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sixers2125 wrote:

So, you want to take a championship winning team with Lebron responsible for that and then tear it apart so you can tell Lebron to kick rocks?
It's not like any of that would actually happen, but it'd be perfect I'm just too get this young team winning experience. LeBron is getting up there in age and has a ton of mins on him. I'd be really surprised if he hasn't lost a few steps 2 years from now anyway.

Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#139 » by Ericb5 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Sixers2125 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sixers2125 wrote:I hate LeBron but I'd love to bring him here for 1 year (he does like those 1 year contracts to keep his options open now) win the chip with him, teach our guys about winning and then tell him to GTFO.

It's not like any of that would actually happen, but it'd be perfect I'm just too get this young team winning experience. LeBron is getting up there in age and has a ton of mins on him. I'd be really surprised if he hasn't lost a few steps 2 years from now anyway.

He will probably still be the best player next year, and then start to decline, but he isn’t just going to drop off a cliff, and one of his greatest attributes is his mind.

He will still be an allstar level player for another 5 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sixers2125
Junior

Post#140 » by Sixers2125 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
Sixers2125 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

He will probably still be the best player next year, and then start to decline, but he isn’t just going to drop off a cliff, and one of his greatest attributes is his mind.

He will still be an allstar level player for another 5 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Highly doubt he is an all Star in 5 years. Unless it's one of those fake all star years like Kobe had.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers