ImageImageImageImageImage

When will Burke get called up?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Re: When will Burke get called up? 

Post#121 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:26 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:Burke would be the best overall PG on this team. People forget he was a lottery pick and an All-NBA 1st Rookie Team. This kid can play! He's not Ron Baker.

The list of lottery picks that became busts in the NBA is very long. Of course there's the chance that the kid has grown and could become a better NBA player but to go off of what he's doing in the G-League where he's playing against guys that will never be in the NBA is not the way to go. He needs to get another chance in the NBA, which i think he eventually will, and that's when we'll see if he's ready to play in the NBA yet cause he's busted with all of his other chances.
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#122 » by sushibear » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:02 pm

I'm not a fan if this dude but this is ridiculous. Cut sessions already and call this young man up. Dude is balling
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#123 » by taj2133 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:11 pm

like i said before it wouldn't hurt give him a ten day contract our point guard situation is mess
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#124 » by xNewYorkMadex » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:43 pm

I see Burke has become the new Baren Davids.

Previous holder: Tony Wroten
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Post#125 » by GONYK » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:11 pm

taj2133 wrote:like i said before it wouldn't hurt give him a ten day contract our point guard situation is mess

sushibear wrote:I'm not a fan if this dude but this is ridiculous. Cut sessions already and call this young man up. Dude is balling

What would giving him a 10-day accomplish?

He's not going to start in those 10 days. He would be replacing Sessions, and Sessions doesn't play.
taj2133
General Manager

Post#126 » by taj2133 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:15 pm

GONYK wrote:
taj2133 wrote:like i said before it wouldn't hurt give him a ten day contract our point guard situation is mess

sushibear wrote:I'm not a fan if this dude but this is ridiculous. Cut sessions already and call this young man up. Dude is balling

He's not going to start in those 10 days. He would be replacing Sessions, and Sessions doesn't play.

basically if he is good you sign to another 10 contract and after that you sign for the rest of season. If flat out sucks you cut him and you go back to the drawing board.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#127 » by GONYK » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:17 pm

taj2133 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

basically if he is good you sign to another 10 contract and after that you sign for the rest of season. If flat out sucks you cut him and you go back to the drawing board.

I know how the contracts work. What I'm asking is why should we call him up if we have no spot in the rotation for him.
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#128 » by sushibear » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:18 pm

GONYK wrote:

Damn that's true. I don't think Jarret jack can cross the finish line though. He's just so bad guarding other pg out there.
taj2133
General Manager

Post#129 » by taj2133 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:26 pm

GONYK wrote:
taj2133 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I know how the contracts work. What I'm asking is why should we call him up if we have no spot in the rotation for him.

Knicks and scott perry want to look at all there options before they make move to get burke and probably they want to upgrade little bit better prospect then burke is right now. If it was last resort and burke was only guard that is left you get him for free but you have go through all your resources before going to the gleague
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#130 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:17 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:I see Burke has become the new Baren Davids.

Previous holder: Tony Wroten

In the running for Demitris Nichols lifetime achievement award
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#131 » by Da ThRONe » Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:53 pm

K-DOT wrote:
reub wrote:
K-DOT wrote:If we're cutting Sessions for him, there's no downside, worst case scenario is he sucks and doesn't play

I just think that's the most likely scenario

Burke had 29 more points tonight to go with his 39 in the previous game. He was 4 for 8 on threes to go with his 6 for 7 on threes the previous game. That's 10 for 15 threes in his last two games for those of you who live in the Bronx. Pretty, pretty good!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/f/fredeji01d.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/b/burketr01d.html

Pretty similar stats to what Jimmer did for us in the G-League, and Jimmer's in China now

Burke 3pt% is almost what Fredette fg% was so far and Trey's PER is almost 4 points higher.

Either way even if their stats where identical across the board it doesn't mean they're the same player or will have the same results.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,892

Post#132 » by DOT » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:59 am

Da ThRONe wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
reub wrote:
Burke had 29 more points tonight to go with his 39 in the previous game. He was 4 for 8 on threes to go with his 6 for 7 on threes the previous game. That's 10 for 15 threes in his last two games for those of you who live in the Bronx. Pretty, pretty good!

Pretty similar stats to what Jimmer did for us in the G-League, and Jimmer's in China now

Burke 3pt% is almost what Fredette fg% was so far and Trey's PER is almost 4 points higher.

Either way even if their stats where identical across the board it doesn't mean they're the same player or will have the same results.

I mean, yeah, I was just posting stats cause that guy used points to say Burke deserved a call-up

FG% isn't a good way to measure efficiency, TS% is, and Burke's is only .008 higher than Jimmer's

.03 difference in WS/48, but 1.3 difference in BPM, and 3.6 difference in VORP both in favor of Jimmer

Again, not talking about the type of player they are, just comparing where they are in their careers. There's no reason not to bring Burke up, I just don't think he'll pan out
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#133 » by reub » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:00 am

Da ThRONe wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
reub wrote:

Burke is a true point guard with skills in P and R. He's a great penetrator too. Jimmer was a tweener. Not a PG.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,061

Post#134 » by TrueWarrior » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:01 am

Difference between Burke and Jimmer is Burke has NBA athleticism, and even though he's a shoot first PG he is still more of a PG than Jimmer ever was.

The difference between Burke and Wroten is Burke can shoot.

I have no expectations for Burke if he were to get called up, but he's clearly a better "prospect" than those guys. Def should be here over Sessions.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by DOT » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:03 am

reub wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
K-DOT wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/f/fredeji01d.html

Burke is a true point guard with skills in P and R. He's a great penetrator too. Jimmer was a tweener. Not a PG.

And yet, the Wizards dropped Burke from their rotation for Brandon Jennings

If he were so amazing, he wouldn't be playing in the G-League right now

It's not like other teams can't sign him
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#136 » by TruthBeTold » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:04 am

I'm really curious about Burke's progress in the developmental league. I would like to see how he fits with the Knicks. They better don't let another team scoop him up before we can see if he has improved like THJ. I mean to say he can't be any worst than Ramon Sessions. :nonono:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by DOT » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:04 am

TrueWarrior wrote:Difference between Burke and Jimmer is Burke has NBA athleticism, and even though he's a shoot first PG he is still more of a PG than Jimmer ever was.

I have no expectations for Burke if he were to get called up, but he's clearly a better "prospect" than those guys. Def should be here over Sessions.

OK, got it

Can't compare 2 players in similar situations unless they're the same exact player
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#138 » by Red Vines » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:10 am

Don't know if posted, great summary of Burke's journey with some insight...

Burke still has hopes of playing in the NBA, according to Benji, but is taking the non-traditional route to work his way back into the league in the Big Apple. His relationship with Knicks general manager Scott Perry, a native of Detroit, played a major factor in his decision to take the risk.

“He feels if he gets a shot to compete to play on a NBA roster, it’s a done deal,” Benji said. “He’s got to be able to have that opportunity.

“He wants to get back on an NBA roster,” he added. “He just felt New York was the spot because he feels he’s the best PG in the camp, including the Knicks.”

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865693282/Former-Jazz-guard-Trey-Burke-revives-career-in-NBA-G-League.html
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#139 » by Da ThRONe » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:11 am

K-DOT wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
K-DOT wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/f/fredeji01d.html

I mean, yeah, I was just posting stats cause that guy used points to say Burke deserved a call-up

FG% isn't a good way to measure efficiency, TS% is, and Burke's is only .008 higher than Jimmer's

.03 difference in WS/48, but 1.3 difference in BPM, and 3.6 difference in VORP both in favor of Jimmer

Again, not talking about the type of player they are, just comparing where they are in their careers. There's no reason not to bring Burke up, I just don't think he'll pan out

Ok I get your point I just think their individual skillset differs more than enough to make the numbers null and void.

Expectation should be low it's the G league. However there's enough success stories coming from out of that level over thepast few years that his numbers shouldn't be meaningless.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#140 » by GONYK » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:12 am

TrueWarrior wrote:Difference between Burke and Jimmer is Burke has NBA athleticism, and even though he's a shoot first PG he is still more of a PG than Jimmer ever was.

When healthy, Wroten was the best prospect of the 3 by far.

Return to New York Knicks