ImageImageImage

Trade talk 2017-18

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,411

Re: Trade talk 2017-18 

Post#1581 » by shrink » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:50 pm

mercgold3 wrote:If somehow the Jazz fall behind in the standings in next 10 games or so (they have a tough, tough schedule ahead) we should try to get or Thabo Sefolosha (my favorite, he's really good at both ends of the floor) or Joe Johnson (coming back from an injurie, expiring, maybe a we can send a second with Aldrich along for him)

I like both of these ideas. UTA could pick up a second rounder and save a little money overall for a rebuild, while MIN gets a little help this year, and removes the $2 mil guaranteed on Aldrich's deal next year, when we are in the lux. A Thabo deal might cost us the OKC 1st, but may be worth it. He is leading all guards in dRtg, and at $5.25 mil this year, and $5.25 mil next year (unguaranteed), he is on a great contract.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1582 » by shrink » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:00 pm

shangrila wrote:Bazz might net a 2nd based on "potential" and his Bird rights.

Since we renounced Bazz, then resigned him through free agency, we are the only team that can have Bazz's Bird rights. If we trade him elsewhere, he loses those rights, which is why he has the legal choice to decide whether to accept a trade. He signed here hoping to restore his value so that we would pay him (or sign and trade him) in 2018 with those Bird rights, but you're right - he has failed.

At best, he could be used as artificial sweetener in a deal to a team that might hope for bench scoring from him (like Utah?). On an expiring, vet min contract, he's probably a slightly better option than a free agent, but I don't think he has any real value.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,331

Post#1583 » by Bishop45 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:11 pm

Klomp wrote:Bumping, because it's hard to find a thread buried all the way back on Page 2..... :lol:

Thank you for hearing my cries, BasedKlomp

Bishop45 wrote:Was looking for trade thread, couldn't find but this is cls

Whiteside's a good defensive anchor, could any of you think of a fair package?
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
shrink
RealGM

Post#1584 » by shrink » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:56 pm

How about this one on December 15th?

MIN GIVES: Teague, Dieng, Shabazz
MIN GETS: George Hill, Koufos, Thabo

UTA GIVES: Rubio, Thabo
UTA GETS: Teague, Shabazz

SAC GIVES: George Hill, Koufos
SAC GETS: Rubio, Dieng

UTA pays Thabo to shed the ill-fitting Rubio for the perfectly fitting Teague. UTA has plenty of defense, but needs offense.

SAC gets out of George Hill's $20 mil deal, for Rubio at $15. SAC can use defense, a PG to help develop their youth, and a mentor for Fox. They should pay something - I used Dieng for Koufos, but if that's unpalatable, they could send some value to MIN like Giles.

MIN takes a chance that George Hill's issues are his frustrations with being stuck in SAC, and not an injured big toe. If Hill is out of his funk, he's a better fit for MIN. He's more 3-and-D, and can be a useful player without the ball in his hands. His deal is only two years as well (only $1 mil guaranteed in 2020), so it aligns with our other salaries. DIeng is better than Koufos, but Koufos is fine, a d at $8 mil a year for two years, he seems like a better player for Thibs bench. Thabo is the big get, to give us a third wing and add some defense. Thabo is leading all guards in dRtg, and his deal at $5.25 per year for two years (next year unguaranteed), is a good one. Also, by moving Dieng, this trade allows us to keep him without increasing our lux taxes next year.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#1585 » by minimus » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:00 pm

^^ I'd do it. Koufos, Thabo and Hill are solid veterans.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#1586 » by MrSparkle » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:48 pm

shrink wrote:How about this one on December 15th?

MIN GIVES: Teague, Dieng, Shabazz
MIN GETS: George Hill, Koufos, Thabo

UTA GIVES: Rubio, Thabo
UTA GETS: Teague, Shabazz

SAC GIVES: George Hill, Koufos
SAC GETS: Rubio, Dieng

UTA pays Thabo to shed the ill-fitting Rubio for the perfectly fitting Teague. UTA has plenty of defense, but needs offense.

SAC gets out of George Hill's $20 mil deal, for Rubio at $15. SAC can use defense, a PG to help develop their youth, and a mentor for Fox. They should pay something - I used Dieng for Koufos, but if that's unpalatable, they could send some value to MIN like Giles.

MIN takes a chance that George Hill's issues are his frustrations with being stuck in SAC, and not an injured big toe. If Hill is out of his funk, he's a better fit for MIN. He's more 3-and-D, and can be a useful player without the ball in his hands. His deal is only two years as well (only $1 mil guaranteed in 2020), so it aligns with our other salaries. DIeng is better than Koufos, but Koufos is fine, a d at $8 mil a year for two years, he seems like a better player for Thibs bench. Thabo is the big get, to give us a third wing and add some defense. Thabo is leading all guards in dRtg, and his deal at $5.25 per year for two years (next year unguaranteed), is a good one. Also, by moving Dieng, this trade allows us to keep him without increasing our lux taxes next year.

Outsider Thibs/Jimmy/Taj follower here...

But that's a good trade IMO. These 3 PGs are all better suited to these opposite teams.. although Rubio won't pair with Fox.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#1587 » by Narf » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:41 pm

Deandre Jordan makes $22.64 mil this year and a PO for $24.1 mil next year. The Clippers are 8-15. Dieng, Jones and ??? for DJ and Beverly? There's gotta be something there.

Maybe add Shabazz for Wes Johnson or something. Tank commander.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#1588 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:16 pm

Shrink,
That seems like a decent trade, but it still doesn't address our need for a defensive big. And we just gave away anything that would be valuable in a trade for one. I personally don't want hill and his big toe anywhere around here.

You say he may not like being in Sacto, but that was all him. I have a problem with players taking money to go to a team that sucks only to complain about how sucky the team is. He KNEW they would suck, and they don't have Boogie anymore. Why would we want that player here.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1589 » by shrink » Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:34 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Shrink,
That seems like a decent trade, but it still doesn't address our need for a defensive big. And we just gave away anything that would be valuable in a trade for one. I personally don't want hill and his big toe anywhere around here.

You say he may not like being in Sacto, but that was all him. I have a problem with players taking money to go to a team that sucks only to complain about how sucky the team is. He KNEW they would suck, and they don't have Boogie anymore. Why would we want that player here.

I think that the only way MIN succeeds longterm is if KAT can become a defensive big, or at least average on defense. He has the tools. We can address the need for a defensive big now (besides Taj) by trading Aldrich (who was a tremendous defensive big in LAC with minutes) or the 1st. In the meantime, I think the more pressing need was for more team defense, and a legitimate third wing that can defend. The deal also fixes a lot of financial potholes for the future too.

As for Hill, I am with you on complainers, so you might like to read yesterday's interview where he acted totally team-first. George Hill has had a wild ride. He turned down an extension for $27 mil a year from Utah, expecting a max deal in the next free agency. During the season, he played great when he was healthy, but missed many games from injury. When free agency arose, the UFA didn't get a max deal, and he watched as teams like MIN plunked their money down on other PG's. In the end, he was forced to take a lesser deal from the last musical chair, SAC. Since then, whether it's frustration with the team or a nagging toe injury, he has not been close to even a $20 mil player. Last game he got pulled early. I understand replacing Hill with Teague is a risk, both for injury and character, but I think it could be minimized by the shorter contract, higher upside, better fit, and additional assets.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#1590 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:07 pm

Fair points.
I still would rather try and get DJ for this year and have him coach up Towns, and see if he wants to stick around for his PO.

Thabo would be nice. Didn't we have doufus at one point? Don't really know much about his game anymore. (I only have time for the Wolves, and even that is limited.)
shrink
RealGM

Post#1591 » by shrink » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:16 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Fair points.
I still would rather try and get DJ for this year and have him coach up Towns, and see if he wants to stick around for his PO.

Thabo would be nice. Didn't we have doufus at one point? Don't really know much about his game anymore. (I only have time for the Wolves, and even that is limited.)

Thanks. Yeah, we had Koufos as our third big, and he did next to nothing here. He improved some on other teams out West, but he is inferior to Dieng, just a cheaper alternative as out fourth big (more minutes for Bjelica).

Deandre Jordan was a load last night, wasn't he? I even thought Towns played one of his best defensive games of the season, but he simple doesn't have the size to stop Jordan, who went 18 and 20. I worry though that if we traded for Jordan, what his impact would be on Towns development (how bad would he be defensively as a 4?) and our future payroll. Would it mean we couldn't re-sign Bjelica.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#1592 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:49 pm

shrink wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Fair points.

Thanks. Yeah, we had Koufos as our third big, and he did next to nothing here. He improved some on other teams out West, but he is inferior to Dieng, just a cheaper alternative as out fourth big (more minutes for Bjelica).

Deandre Jordan was a load last night, wasn't he? I even thought Towns played one of his best defensive games of the season, but he simple doesn't have the size to stop Jordan, who went 18 and 20. I worry though that if we traded for Jordan, what his impact would be on Towns development (how bad would he be defensively as a 4?) and our future payroll. Would it mean we couldn't re-sign Bjelica.

Yeah, DJ was beating up Towns, and to my surprise Towns did a fairly decent job on him. I think he took the rumblings tweet to heart. Now I just wish he could use that mentality and bring it every game.

As far as impact, Towns was a great listener when KG was here because he could SHOW him how to play like a big. I think DJ would have a similar effect, as well as be more than just a mentor. Towns has the quickness to stay with most 4's, (IMO) but not the power to hang with the 5's. Plus he seems to be playing more of a stretch 4 anyway, so DJ would free him up and do all the inside work. I also think getting DJ would help the D as a whole. It would let Butler lock down one wing, make it easier for Wiggins as he no longer has to guard the other teams best player, and should help cover the weaknesses of Teague. Much harder to game plan if there's a chance it could be blocked. As of now, nobody respects us in the paint. Big's, Wing's, PG's NOBODY!
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,826

Post#1593 » by Domejandro » Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:41 pm

Jeff Teague and Cole Aldrich for George Hill, Vince Carter, and whatever.
mthead2121
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#1594 » by mthead2121 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:45 am

Everyone talks about trading for Jordan but why not Dwight Howard? He’s likely to come cheaper. He’s a better defender. Won’t require the max to re-sign. Equivalent rebounder. But he is 3 yrs older guys. Some say a headache in the locker room. But overall he’s better than DeAndre.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#1595 » by ace625214 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:54 am

I think Dwight is more skilled than DeAndre, but DeAndre is better at knowing his limits and playing within himself. He knows that as an athletic big man, all he has to do on offense is set screens and catch lobs. Dwight is still hesitant to run the pick and roll and likes getting the ball dumped into him.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,396

Post#1596 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:46 am

Dieng and bazz likely can't be moved.

If we need to find wing depth, we have to get lucky and find one in Europe or the gleague.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#1597 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:14 pm

mthead2121 wrote:Everyone talks about trading for Jordan but why not Dwight Howard? He’s likely to come cheaper. He’s a better defender. Won’t require the max to re-sign. Equivalent rebounder. But he is 3 yrs older guys. Some say a headache in the locker room. But overall he’s better than DeAndre.

Because Dwight is soft. We need a mean center that plays with grit.
And I disagree with who is better.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#1598 » by walk with me » Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:31 pm

You guys realize that George Hill is garbage right?
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#1599 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:32 pm

Anyone think we should have made a slightly better offer for Oakafor?

He would have been a great pairing with Tyus in the second unit. Any reasoning for why he went cheap?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#1600 » by minimus » Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:47 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Anyone think we should have made a slightly better offer for Oakafor?

He would have been a great pairing with Tyus in the second unit. Any reasoning for why he went cheap?

Can't rebound, can't block shot, can't defend in space, can't stay healthy

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves