Sean Marks Continuing To 'Bet On Staff' With Nets' Trades

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Sean Marks Continuing To 'Bet On Staff' With Nets' Trades 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:55 pm

The Brooklyn Nets have made a pair of "second draft" moves in trading for Jahlil Okafor and D'Angelo Russell. The hope is that the new situation maximizes the talent that people saw in Okafor and Russell during the draft process less than three years ago.

“Well, I think in any trade or acquisition, you’re essentially going to bet on your staff,” Sean Marks said. “That’s what we’ll do.”

The Nets still have one more draft without their first round pick.

“We’re not trying to get this all back in one fell swoop, or anything like that," Marks said. "We’ll see what opportunities arise over the next year or 18 months, two years, three years and so forth. [That is] the same thing we’ve done over the last 18 months."

Via Tim Bontemps/Washington Post

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,469

Re: Sean Marks Continuing To 'Bet On Staff' With Nets' Trades 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:29 pm

Brilliant!

Sean Marks has been brilliant!
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#3 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:47 pm

Brian Colangelo is back... Wasting salary cap space on mediocre again.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:48 pm

Makinson is the great Ying Yang Twins
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#5 » by CelticsWin5 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:53 pm

If you want a good laugh, check out the cavs forums and see them panic on their "nets pick watch thread" after this trade and their wins
trezer12
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#6 » by trezer12 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:59 pm

The Nets' front office is doing a great job of redeeming themselves for trading away all of those draft picks.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#7 » by rzzzzz » Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:45 pm

really a slick pair of moves. could imagine some chemistry between those 2, at least on the offensive end.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,824

Post#8 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Sat Dec 9, 2017 12:00 am

Imagine what happens when Sean Marks actually starts getting draft picks. Dude is going to be a phenomenal GM... he's already good.
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#9 » by We Are Groot » Sat Dec 9, 2017 2:55 am

mostly i'm glad Jah gets to play again. was a tough spot for him in Philly and no fault of his own ...

as for Marks, he's certainly making the best of a crappy situation in BRK. i'm more impressed by the infrastructure he's installed/upgraded than the players he's acquired. imho, that infrastructure is what will foster growth moving forward more so than D-Lo or Okafor. These moves look phenomenal in the short term bc of their lack of picks. but the real work will be how he handles potential extensions/new deals. overpaying for these guys can definitely set them back

he probly won't get it, but he should be in the running for exec of the year
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#10 » by HotelVitale » Sat Dec 9, 2017 3:20 am

We Are Groot wrote:mostly i'm glad Jah gets to play again. was a tough spot for him in Philly and no fault of his own ...

I'm not trying to rag on Okafor but it was absolutely his doing. There's nothing the Sixers need more now than another offense-first player that can get his own shot, and Okafor's simply been way too bad to play that role. Embiid is obviously too good for Okafor to be the starter--and that's not Okafor's fault--but Okafor's been too bad to play at all, and that's on no one else but himself.

People are trying to create an elaborate narrative but it's pretty simple: Okafor has been bad enough not promising enough that the Sixers would rather have $7m in cap space than have him on the team next year.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#11 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Dec 9, 2017 3:28 pm

marks def making the best of a bad situation. i approve of his plays so far. hope they pan out. but why not try to build a young core in the meantime?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#12 » by hookshot199 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:50 pm

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:Brian Colangelo is back... Wasting salary cap space on mediocre again.

You got the wrong waste. Johnson and Redick are signed for one year. Which means their $34 mil
comes off the payroll if they have a chance to make a run at LeBron.

The waste is not getting anything for Noel and Okafor - just giving them away.

Trading the Lakers 2018 or Sacramento 2019 pick for Fultz is too soon to tell. If Fultz is the real deal
and becomes a better player than Tatum, then it was probably a good deal.
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#13 » by chipchipperson » Sat Dec 9, 2017 5:23 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:marks def making the best of a bad situation. i approve of his plays so far. hope they pan out. but why not try to build a young core in the meantime?

d'lo, levert, rhj, jarrett allen and other intriguing young guys like dinwiddie, harris and okafor...seems like a young core to me.you've gotta keep in mind that marks pretty much has to pull these guys out of thin air.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#14 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:00 pm

chipchipperson wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:marks def making the best of a bad situation. i approve of his plays so far. hope they pan out. but why not try to build a young core in the meantime?

d'lo, levert, rhj, jarrett allen and other intriguing young guys like dinwiddie, harris and okafor...seems like a young core to me.you've gotta keep in mind that marks pretty much has to pull these guys out of thin air.

yep. salute. rumpelstiltskin.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
ball_dont_lie23
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#15 » by ball_dont_lie23 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 11:09 pm

except for the allen crabbe move, Marks had been excellent
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#16 » by PDXKnight » Sat Dec 9, 2017 11:22 pm

ball_dont_lie23 wrote:except for the allen crabbe move, Marks had been excellent

I could be wrong but wouldn't be shocked if a lot of Brooklyn fans like the Crabbe move
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#17 » by afarmenian » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:01 am

CelticsWin5 wrote:If you want a good laugh, check out the cavs forums and see them panic on their "nets pick watch thread" after this trade and their wins

Its not as funny as the Celtics getting pummeled every year by Lebron in the playoffs or some joker fan of the celtics that visits other teams forums and contributes lol's like a 12 year old....now THATS funny.

Return to Wiretap Discussion