ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8041 » by Mecca » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 pm

DowNY wrote:
xNewYorkMadex wrote:
DowNY wrote:I think we're gonna end up with Gerrit Cole. Hopefully it's a fair deal. Not an overpay. It's probably gonna be Clint, Adams & lower level prospect. Then sign CC back to a 1 year deal & let him do spot starts. Like a 6th starter type of thing. No turf for CC though. Protect that leg/knee.

That sounds like an overpay. 2 of our top prospects for a guy whose had an era near 4 in the NL. Thats too much.

Edit: Just looked and saw his era was above 4 this past season.

well the latest rumor is that Josh Harrison (last year of deal) would also come to us. 2B/3B. Could lead off is needed too. I'd do that trade.

Gerrit Cole ($7M) & Josh Harrison ($10M) for Clint Frazier, Chance Adams & 2 lower tier prospects? I'd do it.
Would still be under tax by about $11-$12M.

Tbh, I'd rather keep Chance & deal Miguel Andujar. Josh can fill that 2B/3B spot for a year then we go in for Manny Machado. Andujar would be blocked just like Clint is now.

I would be pretty sick if that was the case. Cole has injury problems and isn't an ace. Harrison is kinda mediocre to me. Never been a fan. Rather hold the prospects and give Andujar the job at 3rd to lose.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Post#8042 » by Jstarks3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 pm

damn you can immediately flip someone after you trade for them in baseball?
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,282

Post#8043 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Mecca wrote:
DowNY wrote:
xNewYorkMadex wrote:That sounds like an overpay. 2 of our top prospects for a guy whose had an era near 4 in the NL. Thats too much.

Edit: Just looked and saw his era was above 4 this past season.

well the latest rumor is that Josh Harrison (last year of deal) would also come to us. 2B/3B. Could lead off is needed too. I'd do that trade.

Gerrit Cole ($7M) & Josh Harrison ($10M) for Clint Frazier, Chance Adams & 2 lower tier prospects? I'd do it.
Would still be under tax by about $11-$12M.

Tbh, I'd rather keep Chance & deal Miguel Andujar. Josh can fill that 2B/3B spot for a year then we go in for Manny Machado. Andujar would be blocked just like Clint is now.

I would be pretty sick if that was the case. Cole has injury problems and isn't an ace. Harrison is kinda mediocre to me. Never been a fan. Rather hold the prospects and give Andujar the job at 3rd to lose.

What do you think is fair value for Gerrit Cole?

On the one hand, he's a good (not great) pitcher who has shown he can handle some innings. On the other hand, some injury problems and a tendency to give up the long ball, which might not play well in Yankee stadium. General pluses of age and control.

Something that works for the Pirates. Now, they claim to want a rotation ready young guy, but then Frazier is mentioned as the piece that makes sense based on redundancy for the Yanks, plus Pirates looking backfill McCutcheon (sp?)

Seems a little rich. On the heels of Kaperlain/Fowler/Rutherford/ then to add Frazier/Adams, that sort of feels like depleting the farm system pretty quickly. Then again, the players back are Gray, Cole and Stanton - all fairly young, all controlled, Stanton at high cost obviously.

Then again, the Yanks would be holding onto Torres, Andujar, Acevedo, Abreu, Florial, Tate, Sheffield. I mean, not all the guys are due soon, but there is something to turning a few prospects into better proven players this year and next - to clear glut while upgrading the MLB talent

What is sort of interesting is that they got Stanton for like one or two prospects cheaper than everyone thought he'd go for, so there is a bit of house money here, but you don't just give them away either
zappafrank
Junior
And1: 158

Post#8044 » by zappafrank » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Boarder Patrol wrote:If you could squeeze out an extra year of eligibility by putting him in AAA for a few weeks why wouldn't you? Within a few years we're going to start having to pay so many guys major, major money that even for the Yankees you want to save a bit wherever you can.

I'm sure there's precedent on both sides but I'd rather just make the right decision whatever it may be.

those few weeks Torres is in AAA could mean a few more losses instead of wins.
and we saw what happened in the playoffs when you have more home games in a series.
so is home-field advantage in a playoff series more important than that extra year of low pay?
i think so.
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#8045 » by levendis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:43 pm

jed lowrie would be a perfect pickup for the IF. Can play 2B/3B, only has one year at his contract for 6-7 mill.

No interest in Cole, dude has been consistently mediocre most of his career other than 2015.
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#8046 » by levendis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Mecca wrote:
levendis wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Okay, so there are proven examples on both side of the argument, thus your opinion isn't any more factual than mine.

Andrew Benintendi.. Andrew Benintendi... Andrew Benintendi.. small market Red Sox though.

your Benintendi argument makes no sense when he was called up in 2016 for 34 games, his clock had already started prior to the start 2017. Gleyber's situation is exactly like Bryant's, except the Cubs literally had no reason other than service time to do what they did, while the Yankees can point to his lack of 2B play, time in AAA, and coming off surgery after missing half a season....

No it does make sense, considering they started Benintendi's clock early instead of waiting until May of 2017. Again, you keep reporting that it's 2 weeks, when in reality, it's 4-5 weeks until Torres would be able to come up. We're not starting Torreyes and Andujar in our Infield. We're just not going to.

Secondly, that Cubs team wasn't a title contender on onset his rookie season. They were still in long term mode. The Yankees are trying to win this year. They can't really sell to fans winning is a priority, when their best 2B is in the Minors. Again, wait until Spring until you champion yourself as correct.

Where in the world are you getting 4-5 weeks from. Can you provide me with a source that says that? If it's 4-5 weeks I'd agree with you but it's not. I'd be surprised if either Torress or Andujar started the year on the opening day roster.

If Torress hadn't got hurt and missed an entire half of a season maybe I'd get your point. But your refusal to acknowledge the special circumstances pertaining to this situation is puzzling. I guess we'll see then.
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#8047 » by levendis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:52 pm

zappafrank wrote:
Boarder Patrol wrote:If you could squeeze out an extra year of eligibility by putting him in AAA for a few weeks why wouldn't you? Within a few years we're going to start having to pay so many guys major, major money that even for the Yankees you want to save a bit wherever you can.

I'm sure there's precedent on both sides but I'd rather just make the right decision whatever it may be.

those few weeks Torres is in AAA could mean a few more losses instead of wins.
and we saw what happened in the playoffs when you have more home games in a series.
so is home-field advantage in a playoff series more important than that extra year of low pay?
i think so.

The Astros beat the Dodgers without home field advantage. Torres isn't going to be the difference of several wins in the first 2 weeks in the season, the hell. We lost Didi and Sanchez for a month last year, 2 guys with actual MLB experience not coming off missing half a season, and still played some of our best baseball. So yes the extra year is way more important.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#8048 » by duetta » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Cole worries me big time. If he gave up that many HRs in Pittsburgh, what will he do in the Stadium? Looks to me like he has either lost a bit of his stuff. I would be very wary of him.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#8049 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Thank GAWD, there are some sane Yankee fans who are reading the tea leaves like I do. Cole is a bust, waiting to happen.

Let's give CC a briefcase full of cash.

Let's tell Yu Darvish, "Before your arm falls off due to Ron Washington's crappy managing, make some money and play some meaningful baseball on a team where the offense can give you a 4-0 lead before the first inning is over." If he balks, no harm no foul.

And let's move on. It's not like this club hasn't patiently waited for the right deal to arrive. There's no need to make a hasty move. Stanton was the STEAL of the decade. Know when to take your money and run.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#8050 » by DowNY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:16 pm

I have faith in Cashman not overpaying.

In the case of Cole & Harrison for a package of, they fit right in to our needs. Cole has 2 more years & Harrison would be a good stop gap until Manny Machado is here.
As I said, I'd rather keep our pitching prospects in this case & give them 2 bats that have no future here.
Can't prospect hug when in win now mode.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#8051 » by Mecca » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:16 pm

levendis wrote:
Mecca wrote:
levendis wrote:
your Benintendi argument makes no sense when he was called up in 2016 for 34 games, his clock had already started prior to the start 2017. Gleyber's situation is exactly like Bryant's, except the Cubs literally had no reason other than service time to do what they did, while the Yankees can point to his lack of 2B play, time in AAA, and coming off surgery after missing half a season....

No it does make sense, considering they started Benintendi's clock early instead of waiting until May of 2017. Again, you keep reporting that it's 2 weeks, when in reality, it's 4-5 weeks until Torres would be able to come up. We're not starting Torreyes and Andujar in our Infield. We're just not going to.

Secondly, that Cubs team wasn't a title contender on onset his rookie season. They were still in long term mode. The Yankees are trying to win this year. They can't really sell to fans winning is a priority, when their best 2B is in the Minors. Again, wait until Spring until you champion yourself as correct.

Where in the world are you getting 4-5 weeks from. Can you provide me with a source that says that? If it's 4-5 weeks I'd agree with you but it's not. I'd be surprised if either Torress or Andujar started the year on the opening day roster.

If Torress hadn't got hurt and missed an entire half of a season maybe I'd get your point. But your refusal to acknowledge the special circumstances pertaining to this situation is puzzling. I guess we'll see then.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/fantasybaseball/comments/67cr5a/projected_super_two_dates_this_year/

That’s a month. Maybe more.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
DowNY
RealGM

Post#8052 » by DowNY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:38 pm

It's looking like the Yankees are about to give up Clint Fraizer (fair since we have Florial) & Chance Adams (would rather keep Sheffield) for Gerrit Cole (No Harrison). Hold up seems to be the Pirates wanting a 3rd upper prospect while Yankees wanna give 3rd mid to lower prospect.

Tbh, Cole is 3.50ERA career wise & he's the Pirates ace. He'd slide into our 3rd starter here & I can support that. Then we can still go after CC.

Curious to see if this Ellsbury for Zack Grienke will turn into something though.
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#8053 » by levendis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Mecca wrote:
levendis wrote:
Mecca wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/fantasybaseball/comments/67cr5a/projected_super_two_dates_this_year/

That’s a month. Maybe more.

That's to prevent him being Super 2 eligible which basically just starts his arbitration earlier (gets it for 4 years, instead of 3). What I'm arguing is delaying his start for 2 weeks to prevent him entering free agency a year earlier. Those are two different things.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#8054 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:45 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Rumor has it the bmore owner is adamant against trading Machado to Yankees. Supposedly he's even trying to block teams that would flip Machado to Yankees. So we might have to wait until free agency for Machado.

Funny thing is is all that does increase the Yankees leverage in a potential deal for Machado... It seems as though machado has made it clear that it's Yankees or nothing just like Stanton. The Bronx bullies are back :o :lol:
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#8055 » by Slamm Goodbody » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm not getting why everyone is talking about throwing Adams overboard in trades all of a sudden. Last year the narrative was this guy is knocking at the door. Now he's "viewed more as a reliever" and fodder for a trade to get a guy who hits arbitration in two years? I don't see it. I think Clint makes sense since he's expendable with the crowded outfield and he may be a little too much of a free swinger/strike out guy to fit in around what is a high strikeout lineup but I think we have to protect the high end arms.
Mardy Collins Superfan
zappafrank
Junior
And1: 158

Post#8056 » by zappafrank » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:29 pm

noway they give this guy away who has many years to go before FA
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=664856#/career/R/pitching/2017/ALL
DowNY
RealGM

Post#8057 » by DowNY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 pm

I love that Carlos Santana signed that big deal with the Phillies.
Now Boston is going to have to overpay if they want JD Martinez. Beautiful.
DowNY
RealGM

Post#8058 » by DowNY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
DowNY
RealGM

Post#8059 » by DowNY » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#8060 » by xNewYorkMadex » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Adams and Frazier for Cole is a bad deal.

Yankees can wait until the trade deadline or next season and wait until a better starting pitcher is on the market. Again, you can get more for them if you trade 2 top prospects in the same deal.

Cashman is too smart to give up both of them. Especially when Cole is coming of 2 unspectacular seasons.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015

Return to New York Knicks