ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,795

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8081 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Mecca wrote:
DowNY wrote:
BadNewsBarnes wrote:If Adams pitches well, it's not an issue...we wont need a trade.

Cashman is determined to trade for a pitcher this offseason.
It's a bigger priority than bringing CC back because according to Michael Kay and other Yankee insiders, the FO don't fully trust CC holding his weight all season. They value him more for playoff games/experience and a vet leader in the clubhouse.

I wouldn't trade for someone like Cole. Rather trade for a pitching prospect using Frazier and another piece.

Don't the Yankees almost have too many pitching prospects as it is?

This is the next phase of difficulty for Cashman. He's built the farm up where it was sort of weak. Now he has to keep the right guys and get something for the ones that still have promise but aren't as good.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8082 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:44 pm

DowNY wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think it's gonna end up being Clint, Domingo & a lower prospect for Cole.

I really hope we don't trade two high end prospects for a 27 year old with a 4.26 ERA.

Clint isn't even listed as a prospect anymore & Domingo isn't a top 5.
Fanbase starting to underrate Cole because of a down year. He was CY Young worthy in 2016. No need to prospect hug every prospect. They all won't be Judge/Gary. We're due some Jesus Monteros.
Cashman loves the guy & I mean, we drafted him. I love Clint but get him off while his value is high. He wants to have his long red locks anyway :lol: .
We'd be taking the Pirates #1 pitcher & plugging him in at #3 or #4. Controlled like Sonny Gray. Still would have our top pros.
With CC resigning, it gives us a little bit more leverage to decline adding a higher prospect like Adams or Sheffield.

Just because Frazier randomly got some MLB at bats because - ho! he was good enough to get them when there were injuries, doesn't mean he isn't sort of a prospect anymore. I mean, it's not like he's got 3 ho hum MLB seasons under his belt. He got some playing time, hardly enough to truly establish what he really is, yet enough to remove his rookie and "prospect" status, officially. I'd say he still qualifies as the same sort of guy.

Other than that, I get what you are saying regarding Cole and that not all prospects are future stars.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#8083 » by DowNY » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Read on Twitter
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8084 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:52 pm

DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's the outrageous BS ask by the other guys to make it feel like when they come down for the other good prospect like Adams, it doesn't seem as costly.

In this scenario, where the Yanks have several hard throwing guys who may pan as starters or good relievers - Acevedo, Abreu, Perez, and also several "pitcher" type prospects - hard throwers with more stuff - Tate, Sheffield, Adams (not saying they might be relievers too, some of them), then sort of have to trust and hope the Yanks have a good handle on who they really like the best.

I should add - Domingo German and Heller got called up for spot relief duty last year and both those guys were rated in the top 30 of a few prospect lists but not as necessarily the cream of the crop. Two ways of looking at it is, not all the prospects that seem interesting wind up being anything more than sort of replacement level spare parts, which is still a success of a kind. It also shows for all these lists it's hard to have an exact handle on just who is really really good.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#8085 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:33 pm

I don't care if Clint Frazier isn't the 28th best Yankee prospect. NL pitchers coming over to the AL have always been suspect because the DH makes a difference. Gerrit Cole has a mediocre ERA in the NL. Add another earned run.
DowNY
RealGM

Post#8086 » by DowNY » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#8087 » by Mecca » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Mecca wrote:
DowNY wrote:Cashman is determined to trade for a pitcher this offseason.
It's a bigger priority than bringing CC back because according to Michael Kay and other Yankee insiders, the FO don't fully trust CC holding his weight all season. They value him more for playoff games/experience and a vet leader in the clubhouse.

I wouldn't trade for someone like Cole. Rather trade for a pitching prospect using Frazier and another piece.

good
This is the next phase of difficulty for Cashman. He's built the farm up where it was sort of weak. Now he has to keep the right guys and get something for the ones that still have promise but aren't as good.

Sheffield, Adams, and Acevedo are all solid, but he doesn’t have a Torres level pitcher in the farm.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,396

Post#8088 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 pm

I think the CC signing might indicate that Pittsburgh wanted too much for Cole. You can think of CC as Adams/Sheffield insurance.

CC will inevitably break down later in the season. Yanks can bring up Adams or Sheffield when that happens.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8089 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Mecca wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Mecca wrote:

good

Sheffield, Adams, and Acevedo are all solid, but he doesn’t have a Torres level pitcher in the farm.

Not sure Frazier lands that. Teams don't usually part with Torres level pitchers.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8090 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:09 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:I think the CC signing might indicate that Pittsburgh wanted too much for Cole. You can think of CC as Adams/Sheffield insurance.

CC will inevitably break down later in the season. Yanks can bring up Adams or Sheffield when that happens.

I can see that.

If they still traded for Cole, what do the Yanks do with Montgomery? Long relief? The Ramiro Mendoza, do a little of everything role? Spot start, long relief, short relief?
DowNY
RealGM

Post#8091 » by DowNY » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:41 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:I think the CC signing might indicate that Pittsburgh wanted too much for Cole. You can think of CC as Adams/Sheffield insurance.

Read on Twitter

6 man rotations to prevent CC from breaking down.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#8092 » by poeman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:42 pm

DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

I feel like we are building the new Muderer's Row here...

Or

The Big Bomber Machine (throwback to The Big Red Machine)
DowNY
RealGM

Post#8093 » by DowNY » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:42 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

I can see that.

If they still traded for Cole, what do the Yanks do with Montgomery? Long relief? The Ramiro Mendoza, do a little of everything role? Spot start, long relief, short relief?

Preserve CC as much as possible until playoffs I'd assume

Read on Twitter
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#8094 » by isiah_thomas » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:48 pm

Another top starter is needed

The cc deal is solid
poeman
General Manager

Post#8095 » by poeman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:49 pm

I'd give up Clint Frazier for Gerritt Cole...I hear Clint is a douche bag from people that know him.

Gerritt Cole, although struggling lately has been a Yankee fan and I believe him, Sonny, Tanaka, Adams, Sevy will take this team to the World Series
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,221

Post#8096 » by duetta » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Stretch out Warren instead. We don't need him to be the middle inning guy anymore.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8097 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:18 pm

poeman wrote:
DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Or

There is all that noise that Machado wants to play SS next year though. What then?

Didi to 2B, Machado to SS, Torres to 3B? I'm kidding, of course.
DowNY
RealGM

Post#8098 » by DowNY » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:26 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
poeman wrote:
DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Or

There is all that noise that Machado wants to play SS next year though. What then?

Anything's possible. Lol

People think Harper is out the question, especially with word being that Machado wants to be a Yankee bad.
My thing is....if Miguel & Gleyber come in this season & show something real nice, I think Cashman would be salivating at the fact of putting Harper in the OF with Judge & Stanton & rotating them all from RF,LF & DH.
A true baseball big 3. :D
Also, Harper is a lefty that can help balance the lineup out.
poeman
General Manager

Post#8099 » by poeman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:28 pm

DowNY wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
poeman wrote:

Or

Anything's possible. Lol

People think Harper is out the question, especially with word being that Machado wants to be a Yankee bad.
My thing is....if Miguel & Gleyber come in this season show something real nice, I think Cashman would be salivating at the fact of putting Harper in the OF with Judge & Stanton & rotating them all from RF,LF & DH.
A true baseball big 3. :D
Also, Harper is a lefty that can help balance the lineup out.

You have to get rid of Ellsbury...I also think its a pipedream we get Harper now. I really do, that guy may just do it and we become the Golden State of the MLB, just like the old days...But lets give our kids a chance too lol
poeman
General Manager

Post#8100 » by poeman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:30 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
poeman wrote:
DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Or

Didi is my shortstop since he got here...For a hot minute I wanted Tulo before he got traded to the Blue Jays, but I love Didi as a teammate. No pressure on him, what a big time player

Return to New York Knicks