ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#8121 » by DowNY » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:27 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Giancorlo would probably ok the Dodgers trade (they were #1 & Yankees were #2 on his list but Dodgers didn't have the same space under luxury like Yankees to get it done), Dodgers save money by acquiring Stanton on his current deal vs. paying up much more for a Harper, Harper comes to the Yankees as destiny saw it & Machado comes as well.

Harper as a lefty fits much better with Judge back to back.

Have a full season to go through, health plays a big part. If said players play to expectations though, I'd be down for this move.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#8122 » by Phish Tank » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:41 am

don't take Cafardo seriously
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#8123 » by poeman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:44 am

I knew it!
We were going to sign Toddfather...dude loved it here so much. Perfect glue guy
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#8124 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:23 pm

poeman wrote:I knew it!
We were going to sign Toddfather...dude loved it here so much. Perfect glue guy

Getting close, apparently:

http://bronxpinstripes.com/news-rumors/source-yankees-close-deal-todd-frazier/

*edit - saw it was on the previous page

Anyway, not a bad idea, to play 3B, backup 1B.

Would rather have gone with Andujar, but this doesn't necessarily rule him out.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,356

Post#8125 » by Ray Williams » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:09 am

DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Giancorlo would probably ok the Dodgers trade (they were #1 & Yankees were #2 on his list but Dodgers didn't have the same space under luxury like Yankees to get it done), Dodgers save money by acquiring Stanton on his current deal vs. paying up much more for a Harper, Harper comes to the Yankees as destiny saw it & Machado comes as well.

Harper as a lefty fits much better with Judge back to back.

Have a full season to go through, health plays a big part. If said players play to expectations though, I'd be down for this move.

I️ can see signing Harper and keeping Stanton. Gardner is going to play everyday for the most part this year, and it looks like Judge and Stanton will rotate some between RF and DH.
So why can’t Harper just slide into LF when Gardner isn’t resigned?
Harper’s lefty bat makes more sense than Machado’s, and I️ think Andujar is going to be a beast.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#8126 » by DowNY » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:13 am

Read on Twitter
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#8127 » by Papi_swav » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:43 am

If Stanton hits 50 plus home runs, I rather just keep him than to give Harper that 400 plus million... Harper is injury prone like Stanton but at least Stanton is on a bargain deal kinda, Harper always ends up getting hurt somehow. I might be a little bias though because I'm a huge Stanton fan.

As for Gerrit Cole, I rather not trade for him because I know the Yanks will have to send out Frazier and probably a pitcher like Chance Adams, he's been trending downwards... I much rather go for Corbin who is a lefty and has a good strikeout, groundball rate that is perfect for our Stadium , or Fulmer who is younger and has alot more years of control. I don't like NL pitchers coming to the AL especially the AL East after they have an ERA up in the 4s in the NL. If we can get Cole without giving up Frazier then cool but I'm sure he has to be included .
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8128 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:59 am

Papi_swav wrote:If Stanton hits 50 plus home runs, I rather just keep him than to give Harper that 400 plus million... Harper is injury prone like Stanton but at least Stanton is on a bargain deal kinda, Harper always ends up getting hurt somehow. I might be a little bias though because I'm a huge Stanton fan.

As for Gerrit Cole, I rather not trade for him because I know the Yanks will have to send out Frazier and probably a pitcher like Chance Adams, he's been trending downwards... I much rather go for Corbin who is a lefty and has a good strikeout, groundball rate that is perfect for our Stadium , or Fulmer who is younger and has alot more years of control. I don't like NL pitchers coming to the AL especially the AL East after they have an ERA up in the 4s in the NL. If we can get Cole without giving up Frazier then cool but I'm sure he has to be included .

I think you have to look at Cole as having had a slightly down year instead of "trending down"

He's a really good pitcher who is 27 years old

At some point the Yanks are going to have to trade a prospect or two that are actually decent.

I'd rather not Clint Frazier either, because even if the OF is "crowded" with Judge/Stanton/Hicks/Gardner/Ellsbury and Florial potentially "the future", Gardner can't play a lot - meaning probably 130 max, Ellsbury is getting old, Hicks has shown to be injury prone and has he really turned the corner and Florial- who knows with prospects

Plus as you or someone else mentioned, Clint seems to be that spark sort of player the team needs
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#8129 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:38 pm

So did we sign Todd Frazier?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8130 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:26 pm

BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,396

Post#8131 » by BadNewsBarnes » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:25 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:https://yanksgoyard.com/2017/12/26/yankees-pair-international-free-agents/

So much for the Met pipeline that Minaya was putting in place...their loss our gain.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#8132 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:00 pm

There's no way the Yankees go after Bryce Harper. The sole reason why the Yankees traded for Giancarlo Stanton is the fact:
1. Contract is locked up.
2. Fits and prevents the Yanks from paying 30% luxury tax. Otherwise Hal Steinbrenner would never have signed off on this.
3. amount of farm talent given up is modest.

Now that CC Sabbathia is locked up the Yanks are looking at Yu Darvish but they can't make a serious offer unless they move some payload. For the record, Ellsbury has a no-trade clause. Forgetaboutit.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8133 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:10 pm

I think the Yanks "looking at Darvish" is part of the smokescreen process as they negotiate trades with the Pirates, Dbacks, whoever.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#8134 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:16 pm

That would explain a great many things...but I also think the Yanks are looking at the value of experience.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,806

Post#8135 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:59 am

Yanks top pitching prospect has the right State of Mind.

Read on Twitter
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#8136 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 am

A-A-Ron and Kale are re-signed. Nice.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#8137 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:34 pm

The Yankees offered Yu Darvish 7 years/$160M contract. Yu had 48 hrs to respond. He DIDN'T. Yanks pulled offer off the table.

1. Glad Yankees had the opportunity to pull that offer from the table because that's STUPID money for a guy who had Tommy John Surgery, wasn't right with Texas, and Astros locked in on how he tips his pitches through his delivery...

2. IF Yu thinks he's worth more than that, he can go back to Japan.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8138 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:The Yankees offered Yu Darvish 7 years/$160M contract. Yu had 48 hrs to respond. He DIDN'T. Yanks pulled offer off the table.

1. Glad Yankees had the opportunity to pull that offer from the table because that's STUPID money for a guy who had Tommy John Surgery, wasn't right with Texas, and Astros locked in on how he tips his pitches through his delivery...

2. IF Yu thinks he's worth more than that, he can go back to Japan.

Is that honestly a true story? That's over 25 million a year, which would blow up their luxury tax rest. I find it hard to believe.

In other news, Cole was traded to Houston, so they are looking pretty good for another deep playoff run, but they did before that.

Who knows, maybe Frazier and/or Andujar (either or was the rumored beginning of a deal) turn out to be good. Sometimes the best trade is the one that doesn't happen. The Yanks almost traded Soriano for Edmunds, and Edmunds was good. Soriano was better, longer.

I think the Yankee season was a surprise, they look good, they have ? in the starting pitching - Severino innings this year, CC health, Tanaka health, is Montgomery for real - but if anything, THIS year is the year they should be a wild card team. Nothing wrong with continuing with youth, be in the playoff hunt (whether they make it or not) and then have cap space and a lux tax reset for FA' next offseason - Harper, Machado, Kershaw (who isn't leaving LA ) etc

Interesting article - where it speculates the amount offered
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-real-chance-darvish-resonable-price-article-1.3755828

So, like the article says, makes you think a few things:
Yanks really like Andujar

I think the Yanks are going to attach a prospect but not a top one to Ellsbury and eat half his contract, but the prospect shaves some of the amount the Yanks have to pay

The Yanks may want Darvish but it's possible his agent is using Yank rumors to drive up the price on the Dodgers.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#8139 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:40 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Is that honestly a true story? That's over 25 million a year, which would blow up their luxury tax rest. I find it hard to believe.

In other news, Cole was traded to Houston, so they are looking pretty good for another deep playoff run, but they did before that.

Who knows, maybe Frazier and/or Andujar (either or was the rumored beginning of a deal) turn out to be good. Sometimes the best trade is the one that doesn't happen. The Yanks almost traded Soriano for Edmunds, and Edmunds was good. Soriano was better, longer.

I think the Yankee season was a surprise, they look good, they have ? in the starting pitching - Severino innings this year, CC health, Tanaka health, is Montgomery for real - but if anything, THIS year is the year they should be a wild card team. Nothing wrong with continuing with youth, be in the playoff hunt (whether they make it or not) and then have cap space and a lux tax reset for FA' next offseason - Harper, Machado, Kershaw (who isn't leaving LA ) etc

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-real-chance-darvish-resonable-price-article-1.3755828

I think the Yanks are going to attach a prospect but not a top one to Ellsbury and eat half his contract, but the prospect shaves some of the amount the Yanks have to pay

The Yanks may want Darvish but it's possible his agent is using Yank rumors to drive up the price on the Dodgers.

It was reported on ESPN's PTI on Friday. Michael Wilbon said, the Yankees were lucky to pull the offer from the table because Darvish isn't worth that nor should he get that. Definitely possible it was done to drive the market up but the Dodgers already said, they are in "cap recovery" which was why they did NOT get involved during the Giancarlo Stanton sweepstakes.

The Yanks were able to get $20M below the cap threshold, it is conceivable that they had a plan to shave an additional $5M or more.

Right now, the Yanks are holding all the cards:

1. The most lethal big bat trifecta in Judge, Stanton, and Sanchez in recent history.

2. Youth: G. Torres, Judge, Sanchez, Bird, Severino, Didi, etc.

3. Deepest pen.

4. Great mix of Veteran experience and youthful strong arms.

All those factors make me think, the $$$/season is correct but NO WAY I see a 6 year deal. More like a 4 year which Darvish declined.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#8140 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Is that honestly a true story? That's over 25 million a year, which would blow up their luxury tax rest. I find it hard to believe.

It was reported on ESPN's PTI on Friday. Michael Wilbon said, the Yankees were lucky to pull the offer from the table because Darvish isn't worth that nor should he get that. Definitely possible it was done to drive the market up but the Dodgers already said, they are in "cap recovery" which was why they did NOT get involved during the Giancarlo Stanton sweepstakes.

The Yanks were able to get $20M below the cap threshold, it is conceivable that they had a plan to shave an additional $5M or more.

Right now, the Yanks are holding all the cards:

1. The most lethal big bat trifecta in Judge, Stanton, and Sanchez in recent history.

2. Youth: G. Torres, Judge, Sanchez, Bird, Severino, Didi, etc.

3. Deepest pen.

4. Great mix of Veteran experience and youthful strong arms.

All those factors make me think, the $$$/season is correct but NO WAY I see a 6 year deal. More like a 4 year which Darvish declined.

I think they'd have to shave more than 5 to get Darvish that amount but still have $ left over to be flexible during the season.

I'm not specifically disagreeing the truth of the offer. Well, I am. We don't know what really was offered and who is leaking this stuff to the press. Sounds agent driven.

I do agree the Yanks are really in the driver's seat. Cashman with an interesting game. I think he's exploring things but wants things TOTALLY on his terms because, well, they are in the driver's seat with the collection of young talent, the MLB lineup, and getting Stanton for a song really made their hand stronger.

Return to New York Knicks