ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1961 » by reub » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:50 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:I wrote this just to keep the Mets on the front page. Well, somebody has to do it.

:nod: Good work!

So, I'm hearing that Kipnis is on our radar.

As a retired air traffic controller I can tell you that radar can sometimes give off what they call anomalous propagation, which is just unnecessary clutter. But we can always hope.

If we do get a second baseman then I guess that Asdrubal Cabrera will play third for us? That's not bad.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1962 » by reub » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:51 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:How about this shyt? :x

Read on Twitter

Mets owed right around $65M to that claw back suit when all was said and done, payable over two years.
That was 2 years ago. They split the payment, paying half the first June, half last June and they financed both payments.

What does this mean?
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#1963 » by TMU » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Phillies got Carlos Santana for $20m per year? Yikes! Is the MLB going bananas like the NBA? If that's the case, we aren't getting anyone this free agency. :lol:

Kipnis is a high risk, high reward move and I'd be interested to see how this unfolds. He was injured last year, and hopefully he hasn't lost a step. Cam't believe we're still in search of that damn infielder since the disasterous handling of Daniel Murphy. :banghead:
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#1964 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:57 pm

TMU wrote:Phillies got Carlos Santana for $20m per year? Yikes! Is the MLB going bananas like the NBA? If that's the case, we aren't getting anyone this free agency. :lol:

Kipnis is a high risk, high reward move and I'd be interested to see how this unfolds. He was injured last year, and hopefully he hasn't lost a step. Cam't believe we're still in search of that damn infielder since the disasterous handling of Daniel Murphy. :banghead:

I'll never criticize them for moving on from Murphy, you don't pay a guy you tried to get rid of for years and is coming off a scolding hot world series. However the price that he left for... makes it hard to swallow. I never cared for Murphy, he was always too streaky for my blood, but it's amazing what a little protection did for him hitting wise. Still a terrible defender and base runner though.

I hope we take a chance on Kipnis, provided the price isn't exorbitant.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1965 » by reub » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:02 am

We've reached out to free agent 1B Adrian Gonzalez. This would be a good get.
Dom Smith was pitiful last year, out of shape, and showed terrible judgement in the field.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#1966 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:01 am

TMU wrote:Phillies got Carlos Santana for $20m per year? Yikes! Is the MLB going bananas like the NBA? If that's the case, we aren't getting anyone this free agency. :lol:

Is infield really a priority? IMO we need a catcher, CF, and RP. If we were able to unload Cabrera, then sure. We need a CF who can get 30+ steals per season. Asdrubel is a .260 hitter with a little pop and no speed. I would rather we not have him, but as we do, we may as well not count it as a wasted 8M.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,645

Post#1967 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:24 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:How about this shyt? :x

Read on Twitter

Mets owed right around $65M to that claw back suit when all was said and done, payable over two years.
That was 2 years ago. They split the payment, paying half the first June, half last June and they financed both payments.

What does this mean?

I think it means we're not signing any big free agents this off season. :lol:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1968 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:27 am

Manhattan Project wrote:

I'll never criticize them for moving on from Murphy, you don't pay a guy you tried to get rid of for years and is coming off a scolding hot world series. However the price that he left for... makes it hard to swallow. I never cared for Murphy, he was always too streaky for my blood, but it's amazing what a little protection did for him hitting wise. Still a terrible defender and base runner though.

I hope we take a chance on Kipnis, provided the price isn't exorbitant.

From what I've read, Kipnis is off the table. I have read that we're interested in Evan Longoria for 3B. He's 32, he had a declining year last year and is owed something like 6 years/$87M. Doesn't seem like a good fit to me.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1969 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Mets got hammered on Chris Carlin's show. Probably on Joe and Evan too.

I'm so **** pissed at this organization. **** the Wilponzis.
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1970 » by reub » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:18 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Mets got hammered on Chris Carlin's show. Probably on Joe and Evan too.

We have Cabrera, Reyes, Flores, the Pheenom Rosario, TJ Rivera all for 2B, SS and 3B. That should be enough if we have good firepower at 1B. We could also use a bat for the OF if Conforto isn't ready and/or Lagaras falters. Jay Bruce solves most of these problems by himself. 3 years/$39 million. Who says no?

Our pitching is talented and deep so I'm not worried about it if the studs are healthy. If they're not healthy nothing else will matter.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1971 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:20 am

So we signed Sandy to a contract extension... for what? I mean what exactly has he done to warrant such an extension, hell you can't even make an argument that he's been better than Minaya. I'm simply astonished that the Wilpon's don't have a feel for the pulse of the fans. I was at Terrace on the Park last week for a Christmas Party, it might be the closet I get to Citi Field for awhile.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1972 » by reub » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:32 am

Manhattan Project wrote:So we signed Sandy to a contract extension... for what? I mean what exactly has he done to warrant such an extension, hell you can't even make an argument that he's been better than Minaya. I'm simply astonished that the Wilpon's don't have a feel for the pulse of the fans. I was at Terrace on the Park last week for a Christmas Party, it might be the closet I get to Citi Field for awhile.

Umm, we've been deep into the playoffs and the World Series two out of the last three years. Don't emote.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1973 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:59 am

reub wrote:
Umm, we've been deep into the playoffs and the World Series two out of the last three years. Don't emote.

We lost a wild card game and lucked into a World Series. In seven years those were the only two years in which we had a winning record and that's with Terry doing an incredible job with the lack of talent on the roster. The point stands, what has Sandy done to earn an extension? The roots of this team was built on Minaya's picks, Sandy's great trade for Thor was on a Cy Young Winner that Omar signed. What diamonds in the rough has Sandy found that he's so known for? What great talent is on the horizon for this team?

He was convinced to sign Rosario, he picked Conforto. Everything else is looking like a big time question mark right now.

What happens if the trade for Gomez goes through and we don't land Cespedes? Do we even make the playoffs that year? Why build a team with pitching but don't have an defenders behind them? Why have a great pitching staff just to have the bullpen blow leads?

I know I know, us a small market team we shouldn't complain.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1974 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:29 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Mets got hammered on Chris Carlin's show. Probably on Joe and Evan too.

We have Cabrera, Reyes, Flores, the Pheenom Rosario, TJ Rivera all for 2B, SS and 3B. That should be enough if we have good firepower at 1B. We could also use a bat for the OF if Conforto isn't ready and/or Lagaras falters. Jay Bruce solves most of these problems by himself. 3 years/$39 million. Who says no?

Our pitching is talented and deep so I'm not worried about it if the studs are healthy. If they're not healthy nothing else will matter.

Keep talking reub. Thanks, I needed that.
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1975 » by reub » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:36 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
reub wrote:

We lost a wild card game and lucked into a World Series. In seven years those were the only two years in which we had a winning record and that's with Terry doing an incredible job with the lack of talent on the roster. The point stands, what has Sandy done to earn an extension? The roots of this team was built on Minaya's picks, Sandy's great trade for Thor was on a Cy Young Winner that Omar signed. What diamonds in the rough has Sandy found that he's so known for? What great talent is on the horizon for this team?

He was convinced to sign Rosario, he picked Conforto. Everything else is looking like a big time question mark right now.

What happens if the trade for Gomez goes through and we don't land Cespedes? Do we even make the playoffs that year? Why build a team with pitching but don't have an defenders behind them? Why have a great pitching staff just to have the bullpen blow leads?

I know I know, us a small market team we shouldn't complain.

You probably don't give Phil Jackson any credit either.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1976 » by reub » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:42 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:

Keep talking reub. Thanks, I needed that.

But seriously, that's five pretty good players for three positions.
Cespedes and Conforto should be well above age in the OF.
One more bopper who can play 1B- RF.
And continued improvement from both of our catchers.
That mix has a lot of potential.

Plus deep, deep pitching.
And Callahan's undivided love. :)
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1977 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Mets just made a HUGE signing.

Spoiler:
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1978 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:45 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Mets just made a HUGE signing.

Spoiler:

Why do that? Sandy has been doing a tremendous job. [Green Font]
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1979 » by reub » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Spoiler:

This definitely makes us better. It's a shrewd move for not a lot of moolah.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1980 » by reub » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:43 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:

Spoiler:

Why do that? Sandy has been doing a tremendous job. [Green Font]

You're like a damned if you do and a damned if you don't kind of guy, aren't you?

Return to New York Knicks