ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1981 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:00 pm

reub wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Mets just made a HUGE signing.

Spoiler:

Why do that? Sandy has been doing a tremendous job. [Green Font]

You're like a damned if you do and a damned if you don't kind of guy, aren't you?

Results oriented guy, which reminds me that you still haven't addressed a single question I posed.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1982 » by reub » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:00 am

I'm here to state my opinions and not to address your questions. If there's something you need to know I suggest trying Google.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#1983 » by TMU » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:39 am

Alderson has done sub-par but you have to consider the circumstances and I think it's easy to lump him with the ownership who's provided very little support to develop what he's inherited. Right now this team has a barren farm and very little money to spend to support the talent that they have. Anyone as a Mets GM will have a tough time imo.

Regarding Minaya, I do have mixed feelings. Personally not a fan of hiring back former employees, but Miyana, fluke or not, had decent track of developing prospects and had great connections getting Hispanic athletes. I think his role in player development suits him better than when he was the GM.

Meanwhile, this Jay Bruce situation is not looking good right now. Might have look at Plan C or D at this point.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,452

Post#1984 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:53 am

TMU wrote:Alderson has done sub-par but you have to consider the circumstances and I think it's easy to lump him with the ownership who's provided very little support to develop what he's inherited. Right now this team has a barren farm and very little money to spend to support the talent that they have. Anyone as a Mets GM will have a tough time imo.

Regarding Minaya, I do have mixed feelings. Personally not a fan of hiring back former employees, but Miyana, fluke or not, had decent track of developing prospects and had great connections getting Hispanic athletes. I think his role in player development suits him better than when he was the GM.

Meanwhile, this Jay Bruce situation is not looking good right now. Might have look at Plan C or D at this point.

I think it's worse than that. Our farm system sucks. Look at the Yankees. They know how to make good draft picks and they will go over the luxury tax threshold to acquire talent. Our course, we always seem to be hurt. The other thing is that the Yankees, for the most part, will eat their mistakes and move on. Got to give them credit there.

We just need a new front office with new owners. I have no expectation that this will happen anytime soon but I continue to keep hope alive.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1985 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:24 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:I think it's worse than that. Our farm system sucks. Look at the Yankees. They know how to make good draft picks and they will go over the luxury tax threshold to acquire talent. Our course, we always seem to be hurt. The other thing is that the Yankees, for the most part, will eat their mistakes and move on. Got to give them credit there.

We just need a new front office with new owners. I have no expectation that this will happen anytime soon but I continue to keep hope alive.

Hahahaha we can't even get trainers for baseball, we have a damn football strength coach. Everything about the Mets is third rate. Hey players, pay us so you can train with us.

As far as our farm system goes, Gimenez is probably our best prospect and he's a shortstop. The rest of the system is essentially Dunn, Kay, Peterson and Alonso. That's two of our top five prospects being blocked by Rosario and potentially Smith. Smith allegedly has dropped a ton of weight already, working on his conditioning. I'm not that worried about him, he seems to always be a slow starter at every level and was a highly touted first baseman.

Every Met fan knows we're not the Yankees, we'll never spend like them nor will we ever eat money like them in a traditional way. Never forget Bonilla pay day! I just will never understand how a team with it's own network would have the audacity to play the we can't have a big payroll game. They print money with the network, I pay 73 dollars for a damn smart water, but hey the only thing we can do in free agency is kick the tires on... Adrian Gonzalez?

We haven't addressed the defense problems we have.
We haven't addressed the speed on this team.
Are we still hoping for David Wright to be an everyday player?
What are going to do with one of our starers, have a seven man rotation?

But hey we signed Swarzak and Lobaton. Terry was the problem with this team, not the owners or front office.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#1986 » by blueNorange » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:28 pm

peter alonso is gonna be good, he's gonna be a bad fielder but he's gonna hit for power.

65 xbh, .539 slugging in 123 games.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,151

Post#1987 » by Garbagelo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Minaya is better than Sandy

Sandy has been pure trash all these years signing bust after bust

Never like Minaya but he is a much better GM
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1988 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:00 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I think it's worse than that. Our farm system sucks. Look at the Yankees. They know how to make good draft picks and they will go over the luxury tax threshold to acquire talent. Our course, we always seem to be hurt. The other thing is that the Yankees, for the most part, will eat their mistakes and move on. Got to give them credit there.

Hahahaha we can't even get trainers for baseball, we have a damn football strength coach. Everything about the Mets is third rate. Hey players, pay us so you can train with us.

As far as our farm system goes, Gimenez is probably our best prospect and he's a shortstop. The rest of the system is essentially Dunn, Kay, Peterson and Alonso. That's two of our top five prospects being blocked by Rosario and potentially Smith. Smith allegedly has dropped a ton of weight already, working on his conditioning. I'm not that worried about him, he seems to always be a slow starter at every level and was a highly touted first baseman.

Every Met fan knows we're not the Yankees, we'll never spend like them nor will we ever eat money like them in a traditional way. Never forget Bonilla pay day! I just will never understand how a team with it's own network would have the audacity to play the we can't have a big payroll game. They print money with the network, I pay 73 dollars for a damn smart water, but hey the only thing we can do in free agency is kick the tires on... Adrian Gonzalez?

We haven't addressed the defense problems we have.
We haven't addressed the speed on this team.
Are we still hoping for David Wright to be an everyday player?
What are going to do with one of our starers, have a seven man rotation?

But hey we signed Swarzak and Lobaton. Terry was the problem with this team, not the owners or front office.

It's so fcking pathetic. I really don't know how much longer I can hold on. I'm beginning to consider what other teams I can root for. The only ones I can come up with are the Giants (big brother), the Pirates, and then - God help me - the Phillies and the Skankees.
Free Palestine
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#1989 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Omar is just the "Special Assistant to the GM". When Omar tells Sandy "We should sign Kipnis!" , Sandy comes back with "Too much money for ownership". Rinse and repeat for any other player. Sorry to see that this is the best the Mets have done so far in the off season.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1990 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:13 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:Omar is just the "Special Assistant to the GM". When Omar tells Sandy "We should sign Kipnis!" , Sandy comes back with "Too much money for ownership". Rinse and repeat for any other player. Sorry to see that this is the best the Mets have done so far in the off season.

Actually, I see Omar being more involved with international players. Just speculation on my part. Some people think that Omar's signing is Fred thumbing his nose at Jeff and Sandy who are more into analytics whereas Fred is more old school.
Free Palestine
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#1991 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:18 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Actually, I see Omar being more involved with international players. Just speculation on my part. Some people think that Omar's signing is Fred thumbing his nose at Jeff and Sandy who are more into analytics whereas Fred is more old school.

Well if Omar can turn Latin, Central and South America to a pipeline for quality Met players that would be great. Hope that happens.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1992 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Can't lie, I thought Lastings Milledge would've been a star.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1993 » by reub » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 am

BadNewsBarnes wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Actually, I see Omar being more involved with international players. Just speculation on my part. Some people think that Omar's signing is Fred thumbing his nose at Jeff and Sandy who are more into analytics whereas Fred is more old school.

Well if Omar can turn Latin, Central and South America to a pipeline for quality Met players that would be great. Hope that happens.

Omar's done it in the past and there's no reason he won't do it again going forward.
A lot of you are typical fair weather Met fans. This team is very talented and needs to be healthy. Plus a decent hitting 1B/OF type. That's about the only addition that we need besides health.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#1994 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:05 am

maybe omar can find us another Fmart
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1995 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:48 am

People actually forget, but this will be the third time Omar has come back to the Mets. Hopefully the Mets can recreate the sensation they had when they signed Pedro Martinez, that plus the love Omar had for DR players allowed us to land some players. Granted the international signing rules have changed since then.

Omar has plenty of blemishes on his resume, so it's not like he's the ideal guy. However I'll give him this, he's always thinking outside the box for better or worse.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1996 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:11 am

NYKnickerbocker wrote:maybe omar can find us another Fmart

I read on AmazinAvenue where someone said that FMart had some kind of abnormal arthritic condition that hit him at an early age. Don't know if this is true, but it may explain why he didn't develop. FMart signed at a very early age, didn't he?

We really need one of Harvey, Matz or Wheeler to step up and have a great year. I think Noah and Jacob will be fine.
Free Palestine
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#1997 » by TMU » Fri Jan 5, 2018 10:40 pm

Shameless bump so that this franchise won't be forgotten.

So, the Mets are allegedly going after McCutchen. An absolute stud and complete player, but for a mere 1-year rental. If this talk is any serious, what are we offering and what's our plan once his contract is up?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#1998 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:21 pm

*Yankee fan and greatest poster ever on Realgm makes entrance*

Hey Yo...

Listen you losers, I think Omar Minaya coming back to the Mets is a good thing so long as he doesn't repeat the following:

1. Re-hire Tony Bernazard aka Pedro Morales who ripped his shirt off and tried to fight the Mets minor league team like a no holds barred match against Don Muraco.

2. Spanish word of the day at Shea. As a minority, I'd like the concept of encouraging New Yorkers to learn as many languages as possible because communication is how we're all going to connect. That said, it was annoying as #@! when Omar was marketing "Los Mets" centered on Jose Reyes aka Dancing Queen, Carlos Delgado, Carlos Beltran...replaced Willie Randolph with Jerry Manuel. Heck, they even changed the name of Tom Glavine to "Tomas Glavino."

3. Take away the "Meet the Mets" theme song. Omar tried to re-do the Mets with a rap, it was yanked quickly.

The coolest thing about the Mets is this strange mixture of players that is more reflective of the mosaic of the city. There's no any ONE era that defines the team. It's unique in that way. Plus Citifield IS a ballpark bucking the trend of amusement park stadiums.

Good luck getting Andrew McClutch...but that's the extent of my good will.

*flicks toothpick*

8-)
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1999 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:24 pm

Mets are the epitome of fake hustle.
I mean yeah we're interested, but you're gonna have to play for free.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#2000 » by Mecca » Fri Jan 5, 2018 11:25 pm

TMU wrote:Shameless bump so that this franchise won't be forgotten.

So, the Mets are allegedly going after McCutchen. An absolute stud and complete player, but for a mere 1-year rental. If this talk is any serious, what are we offering and what's our plan once his contract is up?

McCutch has some injury problems. Had a resurgent second half but I'd be weary.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney

Return to New York Knicks