Kevin Durant: Coming To Warriors Allowed Me To Unlock Parts Of My Game

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Kevin Durant: Coming To Warriors Allowed Me To Unlock Parts Of My Game 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Kevin Durant has been emboldened to test his individual gifts during his second season with the Golden State Warriors.

“I’ve always been free, but coming here allowed me to unlock parts of my game,” Durant told Yahoo Sports. “I knew I had certain abilities, but I wasn’t as confident in it. That’s why you play the game.

“Nothing’s changed, and it’s weird because all I’ve seen is emotional moments. … ‘Anything is possible,’ with KG. MJ on the floor crying, ’Bron crying after he won for Cleveland. KG waited [13] years to win. MJ’s father died before one of his championships, and he was crying. ’Bron cried after he brought one back to Cleveland, where he grew up and he left and came back. For me, I didn’t have the incentives coming into the championship. I had no incentives. It was strictly basketball.

“Once we got it done, I sat back and reflected and patted myself on my back a bit. I worked hard for this. I enjoyed seeing it all come to fruition and now I have to test my ceiling.”

Durant has become one of the NBA's better defensive players since joining the Warriors. Those close to Durant say that part of his game has been the product of self-introspection.

“He’s so locked in,” Quinn Cook, the Warriors’ two-way player, told Yahoo Sports. “I’ve never seen somebody so locked in at all times. I’m at his crib all day. He’ll have his headphones in just watching videos and highlights. We’ll watch full games together, no matter the hour of the day.”

“The defensive aspect has evolved because of me being a student of the game, wanting to be great at every part of it,” Durant told Yahoo Sports. “I knew that was the next step. That was hard for me as a scorer in my career, focusing on defense every single possession. Nobody told me I need to work on my defense, but it was a matter of me thinking about it every possession.”

Via Shams Charania/Yahoo! Sports

BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Re: Kevin Durant: Coming To Warriors Allowed Me To Unlock Parts Of My Game 

Post#2 » by BarneyGumble » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:46 pm

“Once we got it done, I sat back and reflected and patted myself on my back a bit. I worked hard for this. I enjoyed seeing it all come to fruition and now I have to test my ceiling.”,

beach house
Senior
And1: 1,044

Post#3 » by beach house » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:53 pm

translation:

"look! these other badass guys act soft sometimes too! i am actually a very manly man!"
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#4 » by BarneyGumble » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:59 pm

[quote="Kevin Durant]“Once we got it done, I sat back and reflected and patted myself on my back a bit. I worked hard for this. I enjoyed seeing it all come to fruition and now I have to test my ceiling.”[/quote]

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#5 » by the_process » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:12 pm

I agree with the sentiment in this thread. KD, give it up. You have the right to shortcut to a championship, but either admit that’s what you did or just shut up about it.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#6 » by Sam195 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 pm

No incentives - buddy unlocked his earning potential moving to the Bay Area and soon San Francisco, he is getting endorsements up the Wazoo since he won that first ring and joined the Champions circle. This is why it is pennies for him to take discounts to help the Warriors deal with short term cap issues till he earns full bird rights. Lol and no one told him to play defense more like he is motivated not to be the worst defender on his team when he's on the court. He gets yelled at by Draymond on the floor and on the bench whenever he has lapses like he is Mario Chalmers during Miami's heyday.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#7 » by Disinformation » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:55 pm

"It allowed me to really unleash the Beta in myself," continued Durant. "Having to pretend to be a leader was really taking away from my ability to focus on being a second option. Plus now I have more time to suckle at my mom's teat."
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,246

Post#8 » by Harry Garris » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Working with better teammates and coaches can make you a better player? Wow, no one knew it was possible before. I’m glad Kevin Durant showed us the way, with his infinite genius.
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#9 » by spicy6 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:07 pm

stop talking please
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Thanks for the laugh!

Reminds me of some loud-mouthed biatche who is always worried about being forgotten therefore constantly talking.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#11 » by hyberx » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:12 pm

Ah, all the hate because KD evolved his game and play much better D nowadays and leading the league in blocks? LOL. Oh sad people's silliness has no boundary. yeah he should go about it like Har_en, Melo, etc, who are likely not going to win it all ever but still the so-called "alpha". :lol:
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#12 » by luss54321 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:37 am

"Joining a ready-made, 73 win, championship team, that knocked me out of the playoffs a few months before I signed the contact has really made me a better overall player"
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,265

Post#13 » by Black Jack » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:41 am

Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you commenters! Embrace the dark side!

Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#14 » by inquisitive » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:48 am

no question leaving okc was the only way, but you could've unlocked your game with the Celtics.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#15 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:18 am

KD's trolling game reaching epic proportions. Every time he talks to the media it's all about how much better he is since joining the Warriors, how doing so was the best thing he ever did. And you all fall for it every single time. My favorite are those pleading for KD to stop talking about it. :lol:
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#16 » by LeMasta » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:11 am

How things have changed since KD and LeBron first played against each other in the finals.

KD is a hero turned into an anti-hero or villain. LeBron is a villain-turned-hero. NBA drama is fun.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#17 » by Cookin Baskets » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:18 am

Good for him and it's fun to watch him on the warriors. Everyone forgets that 73 win team didn't win the title but Durant was the xfactor the next year to win so give him some credit. I know people like to hate on durant and it's just a part of the culture that makes the world wide critics of the internet so great but so bitchy at the same time.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#18 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:45 am

luss54321 wrote:"Joining a ready-made, 73 win, championship team, that knocked me out of the playoffs a few months before I signed the contact has really made me a better overall player"

You’re absolutely correct. He doesn’t always have to score, doesn’t have to excert a lot of energy carrying the load for 36+ min, and can finally take some time to exert that same energy distributing, rebounding, and defending. Being able to focus on and refine those skills aren’t a luxury most players get.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
triple_threat
Veteran
And1: 2,045

Post#19 » by triple_threat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:12 pm

DeOgar wrote:Good for him and it's fun to watch him on the warriors. Everyone forgets that 73 win team didn't win the title but Durant was the xfactor the next year to win so give him some credit. I know people like to hate on durant and it's just a part of the culture that makes the world wide critics of the internet so great but so bitchy at the same time.

Kd is considered a bitch on the streets and the internet crawl out of your cyber hole
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#20 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:45 am

DeOgar wrote:Everyone forgets that 73 win team didn't win the title

Thanks to Silver.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion